2019-2020 Kentucky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I read that there is an informal dinner with the students the night before the interview. Anyone can confirm?
I also would appreciate it if anyone who had interviewed at the Lexington campus, could provide any information about the structure of the interview day. Thank you
Sit in room, presentation given, all interviewers coming room, interviewers pick out their interviewees, two interviews occur, lunch with current students, tour of school, concluding chat. Then three weeks later get wait-listed lol :panda:

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Sit in room, presentation given, all interviewers coming room, interviewers pick out their interviewees, two interviews occur, lunch with current students, tour of school, concluding chat. Then three weeks later get wait-listed lol :panda:
Thank you and good luck with the waitlist

I am OOS and got an interview invite way back in September for January/February haha not sure if that's normal but excited to visit this school

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Good afternoon,

We would like to take the opportunity to update you on our current status regarding available positions in the 2020 entering class at the University of Kentucky College of Medicine (UKCOM). The size and quality of the applicant pool is substantial making decisions most difficult. We have however, filled the class at this time. We will continue to interview candidates into February. During this period, we will be offering selected applicants alternate pool positions. The alternate pool is reviewed on a rolling basis and offers will be made as openings occur in the class.

If you decide not to interview at UKCOM, please abide by professional courtesy guidelines by notifying us in ample time to allow another deserving applicant the opportunity to fill that space. Unless you notify us otherwise, we will expect to see you on your scheduled interview date.

Sincerely,

Dr. Wendy L. Jackson

Associate Dean for Admissions

---------------------

Soooo... thoughts? My interview's set for Jan 14th :confused:

Good afternoon,

We would like to take the opportunity to update you on our current status regarding available positions in the 2020 entering class at the University of Kentucky College of Medicine (UKCOM). The size and quality of the applicant pool is substantial making decisions most difficult. We have however, filled the class at this time. We will continue to interview candidates into February. During this period, we will be offering selected applicants alternate pool positions. The alternate pool is reviewed on a rolling basis and offers will be made as openings occur in the class.

If you decide not to interview at UKCOM, please abide by professional courtesy guidelines by notifying us in ample time to allow another deserving applicant the opportunity to fill that space. Unless you notify us otherwise, we will expect to see you on your scheduled interview date.

Sincerely,

Dr. Wendy L. Jackson

Associate Dean for Admissions

---------------------

Soooo... thoughts?
I'm frustrated. I have an interview there in 4 days. Do I cancel my flight (likely lose the money) and just focus on studying for finals instead? It seems ridiculous to go there if I have a low shot of getting in. I thankfully have an acceptance to another school so it's not really closing a door for me although I would consider going to UK if I got in. Maybe I cancel and hope that some other applicant can make arrangements to go to my interview slot. Idk I feel like I'm in a weird position

The is email is devastating. I really want to go to UK. do you guys think there is still a shot? my interview is in mid Feb

I'm frustrated. I have an interview there in 4 days. Do I cancel my flight (likely lose the money) and just focus on studying for finals instead? It seems ridiculous to go there if I have a low shot of getting in. I thankfully have an acceptance to another school so it's not really closing a door for me although I would consider going to UK if I got in. Maybe I cancel and hope that some other applicant can make arrangements to go to my interview slot. Idk I feel like I'm in a weird position

I'm in the same boat. Fortunate that I've had one acceptance already, but UK was definitely a contender. The potential upside is still high enough for me to still go to the interview. Guess I'm just a little disappointed.

The is email is devastating. I really want to go to UK. do you guys think there is still a shot? my interview is in mid Feb

There's always a shot as long as you go on the interview and do well. Just try to keep the realistic expectation that if you decide to go, you're fighting to be on the wait list - which isn't necessarily the end of the world. Plenty of people who were given acceptances will decide to go to other schools. And those students will continuously drop out as the early months of 2020 roll on. Best of luck to all of y'all.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anybody been accepted to Lexington campus since Oct. 15?

Just cancelled my interview for Tuesday Dec. 10th. I hope somebody gets my slot and can overcome this whole alternate list thing. Good luck guys!

Turnover is pretty high from what I remember. I'd say attend if you can afford it. But it still sucks to be interviewing for a waitlost position

Currently attend UKCOM-Lex. OOS too. I interviewed Feb. during my cycle a few years back, and before my interview I remember hearing the same ”everything’s full” news. Granted it was my only interview, and eventual admission, but if I had chosen not to attend the interview based on that news I wouldn’t be writing this today. So try to not let that get in your head. If you have an interview in hand, you have it for reason. Do your best, let it be, and don’t lose Hope!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
My advice would be to interview if you think think UK is a contender. When they say their class has been filled it just means that they have offered enough acceptances to fill their class but not everyone will accept those offers in return. Many will withdraw acceptances as they chose other schools. UK will pull from the alternate pool when they have spots open up. It is just hard to gauge your chances because how far they go into the alternate pool is different every year. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone from the area give an OOS person some pointers on where to live?

Best bet would be to seek out roommates. UK has a ton of cheap houses and apartments right off campus that are decent. I would probably stay away from super collegy apartments like Newton, Angliana, the Lex, etc if you want to have fewer concerns about neighbors

Medical view apartments! Right next to the medical school/hospital and super quiet/not your typical “college” apartment! And pets are allowed

Has anyone been taken off the waitlist for this cycle yet?

Has anyone from the Lex campus received an email about the admitted students event on Jan 11th?

just rejected my offer! good luck to everyone in the cycle

Can anyone comment on how much walking is done on the tour? Trying to decide heels vs flats. Thanks!

Can anyone comment on how much walking is done on the tour? Trying to decide heels vs flats. Thanks!
Not much walking at all. It's all inside but there are a few flights of stairs. I'm a guy, but I believe heels should be fine.

Hi guys! I created a Facebook page for the class you can join by searching UK college of medicine class of 2024

Wow this is the most quiet med school forum I have lol do u guys know if UKs still sending IIs? I sent and update like a week ago but I doubt it did anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I was at the interview recently. They said that they are still interviewing until end of February, although I think they have sent out all the interview invites.
Like the previous posters have mentioned, the class is already filled, and you are essentially interviewing for a waitlist position. However, the silver lining is that the waitlist is unranked, so it does not matter if you get waitlist in December or February, you will be evaluated the same way. At least that is my interpretation from their presentation.

Reactions: 3 users
What do students generally dislike about UKCOM?

Has anyone with a January interview received a decision yet? I believe the adcom met on 1/23, but I haven’t heard anything so far

Has anyone with a January interview received a decision yet? I believe the adcom met on 1/23, but I haven’t heard anything so far

Update: Waitlisted this morning. That was best case scenario though considering the class has been full for 2 months already. Maybe it will turn into something in a few months!

• Love
Update: Waitlisted this morning. That was best case scenario though considering the class has been full for 2 months already. Maybe it will turn into something in a few months!
Does UK tell you the position on the Waitlist? Or just that you're put on it?

Does UK tell you the position on the Waitlist? Or just that you're put on it?

They said during my interview day that the waitlist is unranked and that they will pull from that list to fit the demographics of the class they want to have. Essentially, they can pull you from the waitlist for any reason that they want, even in spite of your GPA and MCAT, for better or for worse.

Last edited:
I got a letter in the mail informing me that I am in the alternate pool/waitlist and will be re-reviewed as seats open up. As much as I could have hoped for since I interviewed 2/1 :)

I got a letter in the mail informing me that I am in the alternate pool/waitlist and will be re-reviewed as seats open up. As much as I could have hoped for since I interviewed 2/1 :)
Same interview date, same position ^^^^

Anyone know UK's Admissions Committee's policies on letters of intent? Do they take them into account or read them? I know a lot of schools do not take LOIs.

Anyone know UK's Admissions Committee's policies on letters of intent? Do they take them into account or read them? I know a lot of schools do not take LOIs.
This thread is freakishly quiet.

They do take LOIs but I will say that LOI does show the school that you are interested in their program if they do read it. And you should be genuine when writing it, however, if you ask me whether a LOI is a make or break kind of a deal, I do not think so. I emailed the UKAdCom a LOI a few weeks ago and still waiting.

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone familiar with the area or any med students could provide info on housing in Lexington, specifically the options for living further off campus. How bad is the commute in, is parking available, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated

Does anyone know if there is a difference between being “deferred” and being put in the alternate list? Is one more promising than the other?

Does anyone know if there is a difference between being “deferred” and being put in the alternate list? Is one more promising than the other?
I think being deferred would mean they are on the fence and are holding off on making a decision until they see another round of apps. In this case, I think being waitlisted is better as that’s the only decision that can be made besides rejection since the class is already full. Good luck to you!

I think being deferred would mean they are on the fence and are holding off on making a decision until they see another round of apps. In this case, I think being waitlisted is better as that’s the only decision that can be made besides rejection since the class is already full. Good luck to you!
I have not heard of anyone at UK say that they were waitlisted until the class got full. My understanding is that there really isn't a specific list and that being deferred and waitlisted are the same thing for this school. So when there's an opening they look at everyone again unless you were flat out rejected. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like UK has been using the term "waitlist"

Last edited:
For those who are waitlisted, does your letter say ‘you are in the alternate pool’ or that ‘you will be compared with other applicants in the alternate pool’?

Last edited:
The second response, that "you will be compared with other applicants in the alternate pool’ "

Fellow 2024 UKCOM classmates: I want to share a sign-up link to a national database where scientists with PCR, RNA extraction etc. experience can post credentials so organizations can consider us for SARSCoV2 testing work should additional personnel be needed. I know many of you have relevant lab/research experience and may want to find a role in the blossoming testing environment. It was a very quick sign-up process. No idea if anything is going to be stood up in KY or if our state already has plenty of workers, but I can’t sit on the sideline if there is a place to help:

I don’t have much additional info, but the original post came to me via Twitter frim Liz Specht who is Assoc. Director of Science and Tech. at the Good Food Institute and is a trustworthy scientist. Feel free to contact me if anyone has questions.

Fellow 2024 UKCOM classmates: I want to share a sign-up link to a national database where scientists with PCR, RNA extraction etc. experience can post credentials so organizations can consider us for SARSCoV2 testing work should additional personnel be needed. I know many of you have relevant lab/research experience and may want to find a role in the blossoming testing environment. It was a very quick sign-up process. No idea if anything is going to be stood up in KY or if our state already has plenty of workers, but I can’t sit on the sideline if there is a place to help:

I don’t have much additional info, but the original post came to me via Twitter frim Liz Specht who is Assoc. Director of Science and Tech. at the Good Food Institute and is a trustworthy scientist. Feel free to contact me if anyone has questions.
Thank you for posting this. I have been wanting to get involved with this research just did not know how.

Thank you for posting this. I have been wanting to get involved with this research just did not know how.

Same. I contacted UKCOM to offer to help there and didn’t hear anything back. I imagine they have plenty to do with trying to comport training and logistics for M1-M4’s without thinking about us so I get it. Plus, I have no clinical experience and PPE is already a problem so it occurred that a lab setting would be the most logical deployment. I was very happy to find and post this. At least some of us can help with PCR or the like when stuff gets tight