2016-2017 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep, I just sent one pre-II and they replied saying it was added to my file. Fingers crossed it makes a difference!
Who did you send the email to?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
IIRC from the financial aid slides, that scholly was among the list of automatic considerations for early admits (along with like ten others with various criteria)

I don't believe this is the case. I remember from the financial aid talk that you had to apply separately for the Olin fellowship for women by the end of January. She said to apply even if we had yet to be admitted to WUSM. I just called WashU to confirm this and they said yes, absolutely go ahead and apply for the Olin fellowship if you meet the criteria and have been interviewed because acceptances will be coming out until at least April and it would be a shame to miss out on the scholarship.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't believe this is the case. I remember from the financial aid talk that you had to apply separately for the Olin fellowship for women by the end of January. She said to apply even if we had yet to be admitted to WUSM. I just called WashU to confirm this and they said yes, absolutely go ahead and apply for the Olin fellowship if you meet the criteria and have been interviewed because acceptances will be coming out until at least April and it would be a shame to miss out on the scholarship.
Is the Olin an exception here? I swear I remember being told there was no need to submit anything additional. That may only have been true for myself as a non URM male and that's why it's stuck in my head tho. Thanks for updating with correction

Yes, Olin is the exception and the scholarship with the earliest deadline. It is also women only, so better for you if some of the competitive female applicants snap up those and leave the other medical school scholarships on the table for others.

Any ideas who tends to get the scholarships here that don't require an application? Ultra-high MCAT superstars? People with tons of research or amazing ECs? URM?

I don't care about scholarships, I just want an acceptance! Pretty please with a cherry on top!

Reactions: 4 users
Any ideas who tends to get the scholarships here that don't require an application? Ultra-high MCAT superstars? People with tons of research or amazing ECs? URM?
I have heard that it is usually the high stats people.

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard that it is usually the high stats people.
You'll be next then. Pretty sure I saw one of your posts mention your lizzy M. I see Princess Mononoke came to slay the rest of the applications.

Reactions: 3 users
Guys, I loved this school. It was unexpected, I really didn't think it was going to be a good fit. However, the emotions I felt on my interview day were overwhelming. It felt right.

Really hope I get in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
What was the interview/interview day like here?

Choose your own adventure, running all over the medical campus trying not to get lost, then they give you a cookie for being a good boy and send you on your way.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Choose your own adventure, running all over the medical campus trying not to get lost, then they give you a cookie for being a good boy and send you on your way.

Lmao!

Mine was actually very organized, I had something every hour, stayed in McDonnell science building the whole day, most down time was and hour in the morning and I attended a class at that time. The tour we took the all internal route because it was so cold, a good amount of walking around but not unbearable even in 3" heels.

However I also had 3 interviews, the 4th year student interview and my other two were an hour each although I realize the closed file interview is meant to be 30 mins.

Lmao!

Mine was actually very organized, I had something every hour, stayed in McDonnell science building the whole day, most down time was and hour in the morning and I attended a class at that time. The tour we took the all internal route because it was so cold, a good amount of walking around but not unbearable even in 3" heels.

However I also had 3 interviews, the 4th year student interview and my other two were an hour each although I realize the closed file interview is meant to be 30 mins.

Wait wait wait... 3 interviews? I only had 2.

II about 1.5 weeks ago. Complete end of Sept, OOS, LM~70

can someone post the link to check our status/the portal? The one I have doesn't work, it just says the app is closed for the 2017 cycle. lol

does Washing University reject people or just silent rejection?

does Washing University reject people or just silent rejection?

According to your MDApps, you got into WashU all the way back in '06, congrats! They only accept people until the end of March. Then waitlist emails come out and some are accepted off the waitlist. Silent rejections.

Would someone be willing to PM me a snapshot of the email inviting them to interview? I never got the email and want to make sure I am not missing anything for my interview day.

[Deleted] Sorry-- my question was answered just a few posts prior.

Last edited:
Got confirmation that you need to apply separately for the Olin Fellowship for Women. Additionally, for the letters of recommendation–I had more than three people write me a LoR, however, the fellowship application only asks for three. I am certain I want to ask two professors in my department (neurobiology) to submit their letters for this, since I have worked with them closely. However, I'm not sure whose letter to use for the third slot. Should I go two science and one non-science, should I stick with a science prof from another department, or should I ask my pre-med committee head (who wrote my overall committee letter)? I'm just not sure what the best route would be, since I don't know if applying for a fellowship is similar to just applying to medical school. Thanks!

anyone knows what is the post interview acceptance rate? thanks

thanks. i don't know if get interviewed late in the cycle, whether the accepted rate will be lower? anyone kow?

got an II last night... was complete way back in July. I guess miracles do happen.

Reactions: 5 users
II. Complete in July. Literally shocked :eek:

Reactions: 5 users
just got an II. Complete in mid July. There aren't any green dates left on the portal for choosing the interview though? Do I just call admissions?

just got an II. Complete in mid July. There aren't any green dates left on the portal for choosing the interview though? Do I just call admissions?
Yeah just call them. They were super helpful for me.

II! My LizzyM is a little on the low side for WUSTL (~70-74), but I'm looking forward to visiting. :)

Congratulations to all accepted! Just out of curiosity, did any of you send post II updates? And in general are post-II updates sent to Dean Ratts or the WUMS admissions email? Thanks!

Bumping this question -- those of you that sent updates after interviewing, did you send them to the WUMS admissions email or Dean Ratts? I see people from last year's thread who have done both. Thanks!

Last edited:
Bumping this question -- those of you that sent updates after interviewing, did you send them to the WUMS admissions email or Dean Ratts? I see people from last year's thread who have done both. Thanks!
Either works.

Got a call from my interviewer just now - accepted!!!!!!!!!

Interviewed last week, extremely fast turnaround. Super excited to have a chance to be part of the class here

Reactions: 10 users
Got a call from my interviewer just now - accepted!!!!!!!!!

Interviewed last week, extremely fast turnaround. Super excited to have a chance to be part of the class here

Congratulations! That's insane!

Wooooow that's got to be a record

I think the fastest I've heard of is about a month ?

In searching the thread some time ago someone posted at exactly 2 weeks. But less than a week geeesh

Accepted by phone just now, interviewed end of September!!

Reactions: 15 users
Just missed a call from a St. Louis doctor that wasn't my interviewer....portal hasn't changed tho

Reactions: 1 users