2017-2018 Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an II here monday, LizzyM 64 OOS URM. Complete 8/15. Have strong ties to the area if it makes a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone interviewed here? If so how was the interview?? Like was mostly based on your secondaries? or did they take a look at your primary as well? And were questions such as why medicine, Why here? asked as well?

Thanks
I interviewed and they asked some about activities on the primary and some ethical questions, why you want to be a doctor, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed and they asked some about activities on the primary and some ethical questions, why you want to be a doctor, etc.

Do they do acceptance decisions quickly after interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any IS interviews from August / Sept peeps? :O

Can anyone say if this is an open file interview? Thanks!

From what I remember last year, I believe it is. I think they had my AMCAS printed out for reference during my interview as well. Know your own app well!

Has anyone interviewed here? If so how was the interview?? Like was mostly based on your secondaries? or did they take a look at your primary as well? And were questions such as why medicine, Why here? asked as well?

Thanks

It's different for everyone, but I would say they use your primary more as the starting point of conversation. For me, last year, they asked some questions that stem from my primary app (I was asked some questions about research, some detailed questions about what I wrote specifically on certain activities, volunteering, etc.). But my, and most of my classmates' (who I have talked to about this), experience is that it is mostly conversational. We went on a lot of tangents.

I do know of at least one person though that happened to be grilled a little bit harder since one of the interviewers happened to know a lot about the field the interviewer got his masters in.

It's different for everyone, but I would say they use your primary more as the starting point of conversation. For me, last year, they asked some questions that stem from my primary app (I was asked some questions about research, some detailed questions about what I wrote specifically on certain activities, volunteering, etc.). But my, and most of my classmates' (who I have talked to about this), experience is that it is mostly conversational. We went on a lot of tangents.

I do know of at least one person though that happened to be grilled a little bit harder since one of the interviewers happened to know a lot about the field the interviewer got his masters in.

is your class very tight-knit? or does everybody commute/ go home after class? I wonder if the community culture is different because of it being close to a naval base

II this morning. Complete 9/6 OOS URM

Can anyone say if this is an open file interview? Thanks!

Yes! Though only the adcom will know your stats- the med student and other non-adcom member will have access to your AMCAS but with your GPA/MCAT censored.

Thanks

Having interviewed students several times, I can say that the content of each interview varies significantly depending on who's interviewing lol. Anything can be asked, so you always want to have answers to your standard questions prepared (e.g. why medicine, why this school, etc.) and you absolutely want to know your application inside and out. Sounds like common sense, but I have asked applicants before about what they did in X or Y activity and it was clear they hadn't given it much thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
is your class very tight-knit? or does everybody commute/ go home after class? I wonder if the community culture is different because of it being close to a naval base

Can't speak for the M1s, but the M2 class is pretty tight-knit! You definitely have cliques- it's a relatively big class, so inevitable- but otherwise people get along well. Overall very friendly, talented, and involved group of students. The vast majority of students live close to the school, lecture attendance is about 25% of the class but people are always hanging out. Our proximity to the naval base is irrelevant.

II this morning... OOS, 519 MCAT, 3.84 GPA. Complete around 8/10. Good luck everyone!

Curious, what dates were available and what date did you take?
"We are currently scheduling interviews for Friday, October 13, 2017 (2 spots available), Wednesday, October 18, 2017 (3 spots available),Wednesday, October 25, 2017 (one spot available), Friday, October 27, 2017 (one spot available), Wednesday, November 8, 2017(one spot available),Friday, November 10, 2017 and Wednesday, November 15, 2017"

Friday the 13th and 27th filled up when I called

Yes! Though only the adcom will know your stats- the med student and other non-adcom member will have access to your AMCAS but with your GPA/MCAT censored.

Even with this being the case, my advice to interviees is to not focus basically at all on your stats. You already have the interview. My MCAT isn’t super strong and it wasn’t even remotely brought up. I’m assuming this is the case for the vast majority of people. They really just care about your experiences, motivations, etc. Just be clear in explaining those and you should be fine!

Even with this being the case, my advice to interviees is to not focus basically at all on your stats. You already have the interview. My MCAT isn’t super strong and it wasn’t even remotely brought up. I’m assuming this is the case for the vast majority of people. They really just care about your experiences, motivations, etc. Just be clear in explaining those and you should be fine!

Didn't at all mean for that to imply that you should focus on your stats! A closed file interview inherently means that your stats aren't a factor in your interview. :) I agree with everything you said.

Didn't at all mean for that to imply that you should focus on your stats! A closed file interview inherently means that your stats aren't a factor in your interview. :) I agree with everything you said.

Whoops! Didn't mean to imply that haha I was just mentioning it for nervous/neurotic interviewees.

Oh yeah, another random thing for interviewees: If you plan on walking to campus or around Norfolk in general, be aware that the streets often flood. Yet another thing: people in Norfolk don't really pronounce the "folk" portion of the word like the word folklore. Rather, they ditch the L and it kind of sounds like nor-fuk. I thought it was mildly handy knowing this going into the interview, although I seriously doubt it would go against you to not pronounce it like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Yet another thing: people in Norfolk don't really pronounce the "folk" portion of the word like the word folklore. Rather, they ditch the L and it kind of sounds like nor-fuk. I thought it was mildly handy knowing this going into the interview, although I seriously doubt it would go against you to not pronounce it like that.
I live in Norfolk and this is so true haha, I've never known anyone else from here that pronounces it "folk"

wikipedia also says it's "NOF-uuk"
is it "no" or "naw" ?

I'm not sure about all that. It sounded like everyone pronounced the r. I would lean towards "no", though. Nawfuuk sounds like a pronunciation from down in da bayou in gatah country in Lose-e-ana.

Edit: I really hope everyone can read this in the intended Cajun accent lol

I'm not sure about all that. It sounded like everyone pronounced the r. I would lean towards "no", though. Nawfuuk sounds like a pronunciation from down in da bayou in gatah country in Lose-e-ana.

Edit: I really hope everyone can read this in the intended Cajun accent lol
It's kinda like naw- or nah- if you feel like being really extreme with the accent, but a lot of people just say nor-fuk. Definitely don't pronounce the L though.

do people in virginia have a southern accent? i talk like a california stereotype i hope i don't stand out too much xD
Haha it depends on which part of the state they come from, I think. I'd say most people from urban/suburban areas have no accent or a very very slight southern one, but people from rural areas can sometimes have pretty strong accents. Or maybe everyone has an accent and so do I, so I can't even tell.

Haha it depends on which part of the state they come from, I think. I'd say most people from urban/suburban areas have no accent or a very very slight southern one, but people from rural areas can sometimes have pretty strong accents. Or maybe everyone has an accent and so do I, so I can't even tell.

I also didn't notice an accent, but I sound like a character from Friday Night Lights or Matthew McConaughey in Interstellar. Not sure I'm the best source. I would say it wouldn't since it's an urban area.

do people in virginia have a southern accent? i talk like a california stereotype i hope i don't stand out too much xD

You won't hear too many southern accents here in VA unless you're in rural/mountainous areas (and even then it's a toss up). Virginians speak pretty neutrally.

You won't hear too many southern accents here in VA unless you're in rural/mountainous areas (and even then it's a toss up). Virginians speak pretty neutrally.
what yall talkin bout?

So I am currently at an SMP and my application to EVMS was placed on a "GRADE HOLD" according to their last email. Anyone have experience with this? Good/bad/neither? My quarter grades should be out first week of November, so I'm a bit worried with how late that may be.

I interviewed here on 9/13 and received and email about a week ago saying that I was placed in the top 1/3 of the waiting list. I thought schools weren't allowed to give out decisions before October 15th? Also, does anyone know if there's any chance of moving off of it anytime soon or will I likely have to wait until next spring for a lot of movement?

Thanks and good luck everyone!

^ They can't give acceptances till then. Waitlists /rejections are fine to send out earlier.

So I am currently at an SMP and my application to EVMS was placed on a "GRADE HOLD" according to their last email. Anyone have experience with this? Good/bad/neither? My quarter grades should be out first week of November, so I'm a bit worried with how late that may be.
A grade hold likely means that the admissions committee is waiting to see your SMP grades before reviewing/making a decision on your application

I interviewed here on 9/13 and received and email about a week ago saying that I was placed in the top 1/3 of the waiting list. I thought schools weren't allowed to give out decisions before October 15th? Also, does anyone know if there's any chance of moving off of it anytime soon or will I likely have to wait until next spring for a lot of movement?

Thanks and good luck everyone!

One of my friends was waitlisted and then accepted two weeks later late fall. However, you'll likely be waiting until the spring for any further movement. But your chances are good on the top 1/3 as that's where a solid portion of our class comes from!

One of my friends was waitlisted and then accepted two weeks later late fall. However, you'll likely be waiting until the spring for any further movement. But your chances are good on the top 1/3 as that's where a solid portion of our class comes from!

So wait I'm confused.. why would they place an application on the waiting list only to accept them two weeks later? There is no way that the waiting list moved that quickly...

So wait I'm confused.. why would they place an application on the waiting list only to accept them two weeks later? There is no way that the waiting list moved that quickly...

Lol I have no idea, but it (rarely) happens.

Do you know what percentage of applicants get accepted right off the bat post-interview?
Sorry but we cannot disclose any information regarding that part of the application process.

Hi all! I have a quick question: Does this school give waitlist spots without MCAT scores? I just saw online that the deadline for the MCAT is January for those waitlisted... If anyone could shed light on this, that would be awesome! :)

II! LM 70 OOS. Very minor ties.

Complete late September

Are any of you OOS applicants also looking at the costs for this school? I looked at their site and we do not get in-state residency tuition the second year and so the net cost for us will be $349,571 for 4-years. Compare this with the average med school debt of $166,750 it is almost double xD I haven't really thought about how expensive it is going to be before

Doctor of Medicine COA - Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS), Norfolk, Hampton Roads

This was mentioned to my group during our interview day. I would assume this plays a role (at least in part) in the many HPSP students there. There's also need-based scholarships (which I would assume financial need is greater for OOS people) and HSC/other national programs.

I'm just trying to get good news next Monday before I start worrying about all of that, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone tried calling to check on their status like last year? This is gonna be a long week.

Has anyone tried calling to check on their status like last year? This is gonna be a long week.

I don't see much utility in this for regular admission applicants. They aren't able to mention acceptances until next Monday. All they could say would be "we're releasing decisions next Monday" or maybe if you were WL'd or rejected.

Are any of you OOS applicants also looking at the costs for this school? I looked at their site and we do not get in-state residency tuition the second year and so the net cost for us will be $349,571 for 4-years. Compare this with the average med school debt of $166,750 it is almost double xD I haven't really thought about how expensive it is going to be before

Doctor of Medicine COA - Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS), Norfolk, Hampton Roads

wtf.gif

Reactions: 14 users
I apologize if this has already been asked, but is the interview open or closed file?

I think about it quite a bit. Although I put tuition into consideration when I applied, the program is fantastic and too much of a draw to avoid.

In the event I held multiple acceptance, tuition will be a HUGE factor.

I think about it quite a bit. Although I put tuition into consideration when I applied, the program is fantastic and too much of a draw to avoid.

In the event I held multiple acceptance, tuition will be a HUGE factor.

I've done a fair bit of research since receiving my II, but I just want your opinion on why the program is fantastic? I live on the other side of the country so I know next to nothing save for what I found on their website.

I'm in the same boat as OOS. I know they do a lot of community service, I wonder if that is what he is mentioning. I also wonder if there are any opportunities for research/away rotations at Richmond or Charlottesville too.

You can do away rotations at any accredited institution (including VCU + UVA) during your fourth year. Per pg 12 of the electives catalog, you can do up to four months of away rotations.

Reactions: 4 users
Any other IS peeps still not hear anything? I was complete early August (Lizzy ~70) and I have not heard anything yet.

I know no news is "good" news, but knowing one way or the other would be nice too. :eek:

Any other IS peeps still not hear anything? I was complete early August (Lizzy ~70) and I have not heard anything yet.

I know no news is "good" news, but knowing one way or the other would be nice too. :eek:

I have similar stats, a similar completion time, and am also IS. I haven't heard back yet either.

I have similar stats, a similar completion time, and am also IS. I haven't heard back yet either.
Nada for me. Feel like serving a sentence and can't wait to be free in May.

Hey guys, this may be a silly question, but I don't actually see my status anywhere on the portal. I'm assuming there isn't one and they'll just email if there was an update? I did get a confirmation that I completed my app, so I assume they'd contact me the same way for anything else...