2017-2018 Indiana University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you know if there will be any more acceptances given out before the alternate list?
I do not. But based on her information, it seems that this was the last chance for an acceptance the “normal” way

Members don't see this ad.

interview in feb havent heard back yet. person running our interviews told us we would hear back in April most likely

Last edited:
I got my letter today! Accepted! I no longer feel like I'm dying!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats and when did you interview?

Sure! Interviewed on 1/3 in Terre Haute (for the rural medicine program).

My undergrad GPA was 3.2
My graduate GPA was 3.88
My MCAT was 502 (not very impressive)
I had about 300 hours of clinic and non clinic community service and volunteer work
2 years of research experience
And about 40 hours of shadowing.
Also, white female (not sure if that matters)

Sorry if that's all too much info. I've never been asked to post my stats before!

Reactions: 5 users

My undergrad GPA was 3.2
My graduate GPA was 3.88
I had about 300 hours of clinic and non clinic community service and volunteer work

Sorry if that's all too much info. I've never been asked to post my stats before!
You did everything fine. Congrats on getting in :clap:

Reactions: 3 users

My undergrad GPA was 3.2
My graduate GPA was 3.88

...very thoughtful, generous, considerate--and appreciated...

Just came back from spring break and got my letter today! Interviewed in February.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey ya'll, does anyone know if there is a Facebook page for admitted students?

I am wondering about this, too, if anyone can speak in it
I think once you set your ranking on the portal they do a “random lottery” type draw based on your rank list in late April when you find out what campus you were assigned. From what I’ve read, the sooner you have it set and saved the better.

Then there’s a second chance lottery in May I think, for Ppl who don’t like their campus assignments but are still interested in the school.

That’s about all I know!

Reactions: 1 user
I think once you set your ranking on the portal they do a “random lottery” type draw based on your rank list in late April when you find out what campus you were assigned. From what I’ve read, the sooner you have it set and saved the better.

Then there’s a second chance lottery in May I think, for Ppl who don’t like their campus assignments but are still interested in the school.

That’s about all I know!

thank you! My portal still says under consideration, so I will keep an eye out for the change! Also, do you know if there like a comparison chart of the campuses somewhere? My first time in Indiana was for my interview, so I have no idea how to rank the campuses.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you! My portal still says under consideration, so I will keep an eye out for the change! Also, do you know if there like a comparison chart of the campuses somewhere? My first time in Indiana was for my interview, so I have no idea how to rank the campuses.

If you look up “iu SOM campus selection” there should be a page with a brief write up of the campuses. Another good way to do it would be just looking up the towns and seeing which places you would want to live! Tbh I lived in Indiana 18 years and dont know too much about some of the cities. Indy is the big urban center, Bloomington is IU undergrad, Lafayette is Purdue, south bend notre dame. Fort Wayne is like the second biggest city in the state. Northwest/Gary is 30 min from Chicago, so you get a bit of an urban feel there also. Terra Haute is rural. That’s about all I got haha.

Reactions: 2 users
If you look up “iu SOM campus selection” there should be a page with a brief write up of the campuses. Another good way to do it would be just looking up the towns and seeing which places you would want to live! Tbh I lived in Indiana 18 years and dont know too much about some of the cities. Indy is the big urban center, Bloomington is IU undergrad, Lafayette is Purdue, south bend notre dame. Fort Wayne is like the second biggest city in the state. Northwest/Gary is 30 min from Chicago, so you get a bit of an urban feel there also. Terra Haute is rural. That’s about all I got haha.
Thank you!! This is very helpful!

Someone might have answered this already, but how do we choose the campus assignment? Not where is the information, but the actual process. I have created my account but can't find anywhere that lets me rank.

Someone might have answered this already, but how do we choose the campus assignment? Not where is the information, but the actual process. I have created my account but can't find anywhere that lets me rank.
Someone told me that soon after getting accepted, it should be on the portal. Mine still says under consideration, but I just got accepted last week.

Someone told me that soon after getting accepted, it should be on the portal. Mine still says under consideration, but I just got accepted last week.
That's valid but I was accepted in February. I would think that the portal should be ready, maybe I'll reach out to them on Monday.

You will have an option to rank them in your portal after your status is changed and you begin filling out some info.

Mine took a couple weeks to change, so hopefully this week or next!

That's valid but I was accepted in February. I would think that the portal should be ready, maybe I'll reach out to them on Monday.
That does seem like a long time! Reaching out wouldn't hurt! They might need to click a button on their end or something o_O

Any current students here who wouldn't mind some PMs to go over thoughts on the school?

Has anyone who got accepted last week received any emails or has seen a change in their portal?

Soo since IU configures the watlist in April, and they were required to admit as many students as they have seats by last thurs, does that mean those who have yet to hear have most likely been waitlisted? I.e. can regular acceptances go out April 15?

There has to be a chunk of interviewees who've yet to go before committee right? Anyone know when the last interview date is/was?

As a current senior in undergrad who has not yet been accepted, I just finished my last premed pre-req during the fall semester. My portal currently still shows me needing to complete that course in order to matriculate.

Should I send an email update letting IU know I have completed that course with the grade I received?

I suppose my neuroticism has me worried that my application shows I still have to complete a premed course, and maybe that is holding back their ability to accept me.
No just wait till they accept or waitlist you. If you get waitlisted they will ask for transcript. Patience my friend

Does anyone happen to know when we hear back with regards to our campus assignments?

As a current senior in undergrad who has not yet been accepted, I just finished my last premed pre-req during the fall semester. My portal currently still shows me needing to complete that course in order to matriculate.

Should I send an email update letting IU know I have completed that course with the grade I received?

I suppose my neuroticism has me worried that my application shows I still have to complete a premed course, and maybe that is holding back their ability to accept me.

I am in the same boat. I had to complete 2 labs at the time of applying. I did one last semester, but they won’t know until I tell them. I think they request for final transcripts to be sent to them after you graduate.

My one.iu portal status just changed to the “congratulations, you have been admitted” message.

The official application portal still says “under consideration”

My one.iu portal status just changed to the “congratulations, you have been admitted” message.

The official application portal still says “under consideration”
+1 for both. Access to campus preference selection is on the "official application portal" right?

+1 for both. Access to campus preference selection is on the "official application portal" right?
I think so. I’m expecting we’ll receive emails for the info on the background check and campus preferences within the next couple days.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys. On my portal, the "official final transcript" section is marked with an exclamation point in a yellow circle. I'm assuming this means it's pending.. So my question is, do I have to call/e-mail my undergraduate college to send an official final transcript? What address would I need to send it to?

Hey guys. On my portal, the "official final transcript" section is marked with an exclamation point in a yellow circle. I'm assuming this means it's pending.. So my question is, do I have to call/e-mail my undergraduate college to send an official final transcript? What address would I need to send it to?

When I sent them my transcript I believe they had me send it to the office of admissions at the below address, but I would either call them or ask someone else as well to make sure I don't misinform you.

Office of MD Admissions
1130 W. Michigan Street
Fesler Hall 213 and 224
Indianapolis, IN 46202

When I sent them my transcript I believe they had me send it to the office of admissions at the below address, but I would either call them or ask someone else as well to make sure I don't misinform you.

Office of MD Admissions
1130 W. Michigan Street
Fesler Hall 213 and 224
Indianapolis, IN 46202
This is the address they gave me as well to send in my oficial transcript

Does anyone know when they’re sending out financial aid packages? Before the deadline right?

Office of MD Admissions
1130 W. Michigan Street
Fesler Hall 213 and 224
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Thank you so much! :)

I hope so...
I know a 3rd year there. He said he got his like end of May and he was upset because he had to drop other schools and hope his IU package was good. (IU was his #1 and it turned out to be good, but that’s still not okay)... hopefully that doesn’t happen again!

I know a 3rd year there. He said he got his like end of May and he was upset because he had to drop other schools and hope his IU package was good. (IU was his #1 and it turned out to be good, but that’s still not okay)... hopefully that doesn’t happen again!

yeeeesh agreed!

Unlike other schools they have over 300 seats to fill. That's double, triple, quadruple, quintuple the seats of other schools. That means interview process is long and waiting to hear back on logistics can be long.

This can be improved sure, but this is the way it is for now so just have to plan for this type of process because it won't change anything being stressed and upset.

As far as the campus assignment goes its not exactly random. Think about it, that is an awful way to create cohesive classes. What if you're more interested in research than another applicant and both of you have Indy. Who get's it?

They try to match you to your top choice assuming geographical locations (where you're from) among other factors. Most people will just select Indy thinking that's the mother ship so it must be the best, but obviously there will be more people wanting Indy because of this reason (poor reasoning) so how do you parse out the students if you have majority selecting Indy? Who really belongs there? Email them and explain your choice for your campuses and ask that it should be reflected in your application. Obviously you need to have a compelling reason for you campus choices.

If you're an OOS then email the admissions and state some reasons why one campus would work best for you and these things will be taken into account. Doesn't mean it is guaranteed, but just think about it, it's not press a button and applicant_AAMC_ID(int) = rand(campus(int, pref)). There's more human variables to it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Unlike other schools they have over 300 seats to fill. That's double and triple the seats of other schools. That means interview process is long and waiting to hear back on logistics can be long.

This can be improved sure, but this is the way it is for now so just have to plan for this type of process because it won't change anything being stressed and upset.

As far as the campus assignment goes its not exactly random. Think about it, that is an awful way to create cohesive classes. What if you're more interested in research than another applicant and both of you have Indy. Who get's it?

They try to match you to your top choice assuming geographical locations (where you're from) among other factors. Most people will just select Indy thinking that's the mother ship so it must be the best, but obviously there will be more people wanting Indy because of this reason (poor reasoning) so how do you parse out the students if you have majority selecting Indy? Who really belongs there? Email them and explain your choice for your campuses and ask that it should be reflected in your application. Obviously you need to have a compelling reason for you campus choices.

If you're an OOS then email the admissions and state some reasons why one campus would work best for you and these things will be taken into account. Doesn't mean it is guaranteed, but just think about it, it's not press a button and applicant_AAMC_ID(int) = rand(campus(int, pref)). There's more human variables to it all.

Interesting, good points! I will say that I wasn't entirely aware that they DON'T just randomly put you in a generator based on preferences.

Also nice use of java

Last edited:
Good posts. I can corroborate to some extent based upon comments made by interviewers, etc. From what I understand, they do take many factors into account. It is a lottery, but the chance of you receiving your top choice is based upon your rank as an applicant. It’s like the nba draft - high test scores, gpa, interview score, and the like, result in a few more scraps of paper with your name on it thrown into the metaphorical hat. In addition, due to complaints from previous classes, late acceptances/wait list acceptances act to fill open spots at satellite campuses. It’s sort of like a mini version of the match/soap.

Last edited:
Good posts. I can corroborate to some extent based upon comments made by interviewers, etc. From what I understand, they do take many factors into account. It is a lottery, but the chance of you receiving your top choice is based upon your rank as an applicant. It’s like the nba draft - high test scores, gpa, interview score, and the like, result in a few more scraps of paper with your name on it thrown into the metaphorical hat. In addition, due to complaints from previous classes, late acceptances/wait list acceptances act to fill open spots at satellite campuses. It’s sort of like a mini version of the match/soap.
This is great information, thanks! Do you know if you're more likely to get your 1st choice if it's a satellite campus instead of Indy? I have my heart set on one of the smaller campuses but I know I was accepted late so I don't think I'm high on their internal ranking system.

This is great information, thanks! Do you know if you're more likely to get your 1st choice if it's a satellite campus instead of Indy? I have my heart set on one of the smaller campuses but I know I was accepted late so I don't think I'm high on their internal ranking system.
At my interview, they said that if you put a smaller campus, you'll most likely get it. They said the only one you might not get, if it is your first choice, is Indianapolis.

I know there are facebook USMLE groups, but with the recent data breach I am curating a USMLE STEP 1 prep group on LinkedIn. If you have an IU email you will automatically be allowed to join.

At my interview, they said that if you put a smaller campus, you'll most likely get it. They said the only one you might not get, if it is your first choice, is Indianapolis.

This is what I’ve heard, as well.

To those who've sent in updates, did you just email them to the admissions office, or how did you send them since there is no where to do it on the portal?

To those who've sent in updates, did you just email them to the admissions office, or how did you send them since there is no where to do it on the portal?
I physically mailed my update letter to the office of admissions using the address on the Dean of Students Evaluation form.