2017-2018 Morehouse School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you ED or regular applicant?
Regular applicant dude, i'm very surprised i got an interview this early.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Patiently awaiting for the next "round" of interviews By this chat, the last time they sent out interiews was Aug 7th

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they really picky about who they send secondaries?

I submitted my primary to them on Friday and just received my secondary today (OOS LM 65)

Are they really picky about who they send secondaries?

I submitted my primary to them on Friday and just received my secondary today (OOS LM 65)

I think they do some screening, but I'm not sure what the cutoffs are. I assumed it was mainly mission focused (underserved, minority populations, etc.). I could be wrong though.

I think they do some screening, but I'm not sure what the cutoffs are. I assumed it was mainly mission focused (underserved, minority populations, etc.). I could be wrong though.
Yeah I'm not either of those... Nothing particularly stellar about my stats but my ECs are. Border state. Just curious of how they screen!

I finally got my secondary today from Morehouse

Reactions: 4 users
When they asked if we are a reapplicant, are they asking if we are a reapplicant to their school or if we're a reapplicant in general?

When they asked if we are a reapplicant, are they asking if we are a reapplicant to their school or if we're a reapplicant in general?
I believe they are referring to their school in particular.

West Virginia University, Morehouse, and Meharry use the same system/portal thing for their secondaries.

Can Morehouse see what I've sent to Meharry. Silly question lol

I have a LOR question. The requirements are as follows:

(3) three letters from faculty members who have taught or supervised you are required. Letters from science faculty are preferred. (Two of the three letters must be from science faculty)

One of my rec letter letters is from a professor of Urology from a medical school. I did clinical research under his supervision. Would he count towards the 3 letters? Or should I call to confirm?

I have a LOR question. The requirements are as follows:

(3) three letters from faculty members who have taught or supervised you are required. Letters from science faculty are preferred. (Two of the three letters must be from science faculty)

One of my rec letter letters is from a professor of Urology from a medical school. I did clinical research under his supervision. Would he count towards the 3 letters? Or should I call to confirm?
I think that suffices

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that suffices

Yeah I'm hoping so. I went back and read the e-mail for secondary invitation and it says:
"Three letters of recommendation from individual letters writers (two letters from science professors are preferred)"

I'm interpreting that as two science professors aren't a hard requirement? Am I interpreting this wrong?

II today. Submitted July 18th. Reapplicant. Lizzy 68. Please Morehouse, you are my top choice!

Reactions: 6 users
Can anybody confirm/deny a hard character/word limit on the secondary essay?
AFAIK it was just one page, formatted at your discretion. No character limit.

Yoooo my peeps who go invited for a II. When you emailed morehouse back to confirm your interview, did they respond or naw?

Yeah I'm hoping so. I went back and read the e-mail for secondary invitation and it says:
"Three letters of recommendation from individual letters writers (two letters from science professors are preferred)"

I'm interpreting that as two science professors aren't a hard requirement? Am I interpreting this wrong?
I agree that's how it should be read. Also if the doctor taught you in a course, i think that can function as a replacement

Yoooo my peeps who go invited for a II. When you emailed morehouse back to confirm your interview, did they respond or naw?
I replies as soon as I got it. And they won't reply.

They sent me a confirmation email after I confirmed the interview date. I had to call and email them twice though before getting the confirmation.

I replies as soon as I got it. And they won't reply.

They sent me a confirmation email after I confirmed the interview date. I had to call and email them twice though before getting the confirmation.

I just talked to the guy on the phone, and he said they're having trouble with their email survey so that's why it's such a hassle to get a confirmation email from them/for them to even get your confirmation email in the first place

Reactions: 1 users
Is there anyone here whos already been through the morehouse interview process and could shed light on what goes down interview day and how long the actual interviews are?

Question about LoRs: Is it okay to send more than the 3 required letters? I have 5 and I just sent all of them through AMCAS, but I don't know if I can reverse this and I don't want it to count against me if Morehouse doesn't want more than 3 letters.
I did the same thing. If anything, I feel that the adcom'll will just pick the three that suffice and then disregard the others.

From when you guys initially submitted your application from AMCAS, how long did it take for you to hear back from Morehouse that your application had been received?

From when you guys initially submitted your application from AMCAS, how long did it take for you to hear back from Morehouse that your application had been received?
13 days.

How long does it take for the secondary status to change from submitted to confirmed or complete?

I submitted my secondary on 8/20/17, and I e-mailed my picture form on the same day. I know I should probably allow more time for them to update, but what's a good timeline where I should consider e-mailing or calling them?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

How long does it take for the secondary status to change from submitted to confirmed or complete?

I submitted my secondary on 8/20/17, and I e-mailed my picture form on the same day. I know I should probably allow more time for them to update, but what's a good timeline where I should consider e-mailing or calling them?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
I received my confirmation within a week after submitting the secondary. So you should be receiving a confirmation within the next four days.

I received my confirmation within a week after submitting the secondary. So you should be receiving a confirmation within the next four days.

Thank you DreamPursuer.

I just received the confirmation e-mail stating that my application is complete and in review for a possible interview. Just to add another data point for future readers in this thread curious about the same question, MSM took 3 days from receipt of both my secondary application and picture form to send me the completion notification.

Good luck all!

I've been declined from two other schools guys, so I know how it feels. But stay up. See that all this means is that your skills and talents can still be used at a different school.

Is there anyone here whos already been through the morehouse interview process and could shed light on what goes down interview day and how long the actual interviews are?
I am a current first year, this is what happened last year during my interview (I don't remember everything clearly, so bear with me)

There were about 8-12 of us. They put us in a room for one hour where we just chatting with each other. Then, the Admissions Dean gave us a presentation. Then the food. First interview, break, 2nd interview, go on tour of the school, go to tour Grady Hospital (took us there in a bus from morehouse). Final talk with the dean and go home.

First interview was closed file, so it was like "can you tell me who you are? why you are here?" type of thing.
2nd interview was open file, so it was like "explain this activity/ this research/ this grade" plus ethical dilemma type questions.

Each is supposed to be 30min long, but don't be surprised if it goes up to 45min.

My advise to you all is, stay enthusiastic and natural. Some interviewers want to see how you react when they put you in a stressful situation by deliberating asking many questions that they know you have no idea about. During that time and in general, Do not try to impress by showcasing a false personality as that will harm you. For example, if they ask, "Why do you think xyz happen?" or "How would you treat a patient with multiple sclerosis and low RBC count?" Do not give an answer on the fly. Instead, straight up say "I do not know/ I have not thought about this." May be you can say, "I do not know it now but I hope to find the answer once I became a student at MSM."

Overall, it is less stressful. Everyone is nice. Food here is always great, so come with a good appetite.

Good luck everyone and welcome to this awesome campus!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Thank you DreamPursuer.

I just received the confirmation e-mail stating that my application is complete and in review for a possible interview. Just to add another data point for future readers in this thread curious about the same question, MSM took 3 days from receipt of both my secondary application and picture form to send me the completion notification.

Good luck all!
What picture form?

Attachments

• picture form.JPG
    picture form.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 86
How do we get to the application menu page? I keep getting taken straight to the page I've attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 2.17.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 2.17.54 PM.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 76
Hmm I got an email that my file was complete and ready to be reviewed for an interview but I never submitted the photo form. Maybe I did the first time I applied and they have that ‍♀️...I'll just do it again

I called just now, the photo form is NOT required...for anyone wondering

I am a current first year, this is what happened last year during my interview (I don't remember everything clearly, so bear with me)

There were about 8-12 of us. They put us in a room for one hour where we just chatting with each other. Then, the Admissions Dean gave us a presentation. Then the food. First interview, break, 2nd interview, go on tour of the school, go to tour Grady Hospital (took us there in a bus from morehouse). Final talk with the dean and go home.

First interview was closed file, so it was like "can you tell me who you are? why you are here?" type of thing.
2nd interview was open file, so it was like "explain this activity/ this research/ this grade" plus ethical dilemma type questions.

Each is supposed to be 30min long, but don't be surprised if it goes up to 45min.

My advise to you all is, stay enthusiastic and natural. Some interviewers want to see how you react when they put you in a stressful situation by deliberating asking many questions that they know you have no idea about. During that time and in general, Do not try to impress by showcasing a false personality as that will harm you. For example, if they ask, "Why do you think xyz happen?" or "How would you treat a patient with multiple sclerosis and low RBC count?" Do not give an answer on the fly. Instead, straight up say "I do not know/ I have not thought about this." May be you can say, "I do not know it now but I hope to find the answer once I became a student at MSM."

Overall, it is less stressful. Everyone is nice. Food here is always great, so come with a good appetite.

Good luck everyone and welcome to this awesome campus!!!

Thank you so much! Do you remember at about what time the interview day was over?