2017-2018 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Never received an email saying UCLA received my primary (verified 8/11), but I did just receive their secondary.

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine each school has its own system, but I submitted to UCSF and heard nothing until I got the secondary over a month later (was verified mid-June and didn't add them until early July). I just added UCLA last week and I haven't heard anything at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never received an email saying UCLA received my primary (verified 8/11), but I did just receive their secondary.
Whoa, wave number 3 already happening??

Congrats though! UCLA secondary is like a unicorn or something.

Reactions: 1 user

Congrats, that was fast.
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats, that was fast.
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Lizzy M ~69 I think, but applied disadvantaged so I'm sure that's why I got it so quickly.

Lizzy M ~69 I think, but applied disadvantaged so I'm sure that's why I got it so quickly.

That's great news..... for me also. Did you send your LOR already or will you send them with your secondary?

In the MSTP Supplement, it asks for Personal Comments and a Statement of Purpose. Do this need to be distinct from those submitted on AMCAS? I don't want to copy and paste if they want something fresh, but I also feel I already answered the questions.

Reactions: 2 users
I give up waiting for you UCLA. Bye.

Reactions: 10 users
Any CA applicants still without secondary? LOL I was verified in mid-July and haven't heard a word from UCLA. Only school I am still waiting on ><

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Never received a secondary. Verified 7/12. Should I contact admissions? Anyone else not have one yet? I'm OOS
I am IS and am still w/out a secondary. Was AMCAS verified mid-July and still haven't heard a word from UCLA. Received secondaries from every other school I applied to though including the other UCs.

I am IS and am still w/out a secondary. Was AMCAS verified mid-July and still haven't heard a word from UCLA. Received secondaries from every other school I applied to though including the other UCs.
I would personally not contact Admissions, but that's just me.

Any CA applicants still without secondary? LOL I was verified in mid-July and haven't heard a word from UCLA. Only school I am still waiting on ><

IS just got that secondary yesterday! Primary was verified in like mid June

In the MSTP Supplement, it asks for Personal Comments and a Statement of Purpose. Do this need to be distinct from those submitted on AMCAS? I don't want to copy and paste if they want something fresh, but I also feel I already answered the questions.
Wondering about this still... do any MSTP applicants have advice? Considering putting all the other secondaries I've written together into two new essays at this point lol

At this point it's late August and it appears that they haven't send many secondaries. I don't recall this being normal compared to threads from previous years. Anyone think this is the result of the mess-up with the character limits? Or do they normally send this few secondaries and I'm just naively optimistic?

At this point it's late August and it appears that they haven't send many secondaries. I don't recall this being normal compared to threads from previous years. Anyone think this is the result of the mess-up with the character limits? Or do they normally send this few secondaries and I'm just naively optimistic?
Yeah, I totally agree.. It's very strange that they still haven't sent out a bunch of secondaries till now.. It's almost September..

Well, I just realized I submitted and left one essay blank on accident. FML.

UCLA screens before sending out secondaries, meaning not everyone who applies will get a secondary. however, not getting a secondary right now doesn't mean you won't get one in the future, as we send them out all the way until dec/jan.

i know its hard to not worry about these, but again, we review your primary application thoroughly before sending out secondaries. in addition, we screen, meaning not everyone who sends a primary will get a secondary (if i recall correctly, only about 1/3 will get a secondary). however, if you dont have one right now, just know that there is a possibility of getting one anytime between now and early jan.

i know its hard to not worry about these, but again, we review your primary application thoroughly before sending out secondaries. in addition, we screen, meaning not everyone who sends a primary will get a secondary (if i recall correctly, only about 1/3 will get a secondary). however, if you dont have one right now, just know that there is a possibility of getting one anytime between now and early jan.
What if you are an MSTP applicant? Their deadline is pretty early/strict as opposed to the regular MD.

How do you differentiate between who gets a secondary and who gets an interview? Just the secondary essays?

What if you are an MSTP applicant? Their deadline is pretty early/strict as opposed to the regular MD.

hmm that im not sure about. i dont know if MSTP has a similar screening process as regular geffen MD.

How do you differentiate between who gets a secondary and who gets an interview? Just the secondary essays?

the secondary essays are definitely important, but are still evaluated within the context of the rest of your application with regards to interview invites

the secondary essays are definitely important, but are still evaluated within the context of the rest of your application with regards to interview invites
I submitted my secondary before the character change. Now, all my essays are cut off at 800! Ahhh...
Do you know what percentage of submitted secondaries get interviews?
(btw, I'm a non-Canadian international...)

I submitted my secondary before the character change. Now, all my essays are cut off at 800! Ahhh...
I also submitted my secondary before the character limit and all my sentences are cut short :/ Is there anything I can do?

I also submitted my secondary before the character limit and all my sentences are cut short :/ Is there anything I can do?
I just logged in to check and all my responses were cut off too! We submitted before they shortened character limits so I wasn't expecting this to happen. Will the admissions committee see our original answers, or only the first 800 characters?

I just logged in to check and all my responses were cut off too! We submitted before they shortened character limits so I wasn't expecting this to happen. Will the admissions committee see our original answers, or only the first 800 characters?
This discussion happened a few pages back, I believe. Someone said they asked admissions and they responded that our answers were saved in full, so don't worry. I feel bad for anyone reading my ridiculously long essays but... oh well.

This discussion happened a few pages back, I believe. Someone said they asked admissions and they responded that our answers were saved in full, so don't worry. I feel bad for anyone reading my ridiculously long essays but... oh well.

Can you imagine the look on the readers' face when they opened their first secondary expecting short 800 character answers (from last year) and getting Duke-length essays instead? :rofl:

I know that UCLA probably intended to allow applicants to have a bit more breathing room by increasing the character count... although I'm not sure what they were expecting because I don't know many people who would be comfortable submitting an essay that is much shorter than the word limit. I would have done the same had they not immediately backtracked!

Update: Yes, just saw your answers, but I emailed one of the admissions officers today and she said that answers are saved in full even though we see the truncated version. All is well :)

Me waiting on the UCLA secondary like
upload_2017-8-25_9-31-43.png

Reactions: 25 users
hmm that im not sure about. i dont know if MSTP has a similar screening process as regular geffen MD.

I see, thank you!

I think those stats should be on MSAR, but I think in general, we invite about 600 for interviews

How long does it usually take for AMCAS to verify a submitted primary? I submitted late July and up until now it still says "Ready for review"

Last year's first II went out on Aug 29 on a Monday so I am speculating that we might hear something this upcoming Monday

How long does it usually take for AMCAS to verify a submitted primary? I submitted late July and up until now it still says "Ready for review"
I submitted my AMCAS in late July and was verified in mid August.

Any consensus on the MSTP personal comments and statement of purpose prompts?

Last year's first II went out on Aug 29 on a Monday so I am speculating that we might hear something this upcoming Monday

Some of us would still like to hear about a secondary lol

Reactions: 9 users
This cycle started 7 days late.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Did anyone send letters in before getting a secondary? I have assigned letters to all of my schools except UCLA, and their website says to wait until asked. I wouldn't mind assigning them so AMCAS will stop bugging me...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did anyone send letters in before getting a secondary? I have assigned letters to all of my schools except UCLA, and their website says to wait until asked. I wouldn't mind assigning them so AMCAS will stop bugging me...

I sent mine in and got a secondary. If I had known that they wanted it a bit later, I would have waited. It's my speculation that many applicants sent in their letters early as well, either by accident or intentionally. EDIT: we all make mistakes, take the character limit incident for example :p

Still waiting on that secondary

I sent mine in and got a secondary. If I had known that they wanted it a bit later, I would have waited. It's my speculation that many applicants sent in their letters early as well, either by accident or intentionally. EDIT: we all make mistakes, take the character limit incident for example :p

+1 for sending in letters early and still getting a secondary. I basically just assigned my committee letter to all my schools from the get go and didn't really check to see if I should wait... seems to have worked out just fine, I assume they just don't go in and download your letters until they actually want to read them.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! They don't have their letter requirements online - it just says 3 to 5 - is a committee packet (with 6 letters) acceptable?

Still waiting on secondary. I am a reapplicant here, but I know I am much better off than last year (30 -> 516 MCAT, +MD rec letter, additional ~1000 hrs clinical/volunteer experience). Trying to avoid the premed anxiety.