2017-2018 University of Texas - Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got off the waitlist yesterday, this was my first choice. I'm excited, but now have to look at my options to see if I'm staying where I was accepted or if I'm choosing here. Congrats to everyone else who got off the waitlist too!

Members don't see this ad.

Got off the waitlist yesterday, this was my first choice. I'm excited, but now have to look at my options to see if I'm staying where I was accepted or if I'm choosing here. Congrats to everyone else who got off the waitlist too!
Congrats! Where else were you accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all those accepted off the waitlist. Did anyone who got accepted send an update letter (LOI)? Wondering if it would be a good idea to send one.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to all those accepted off the waitlist. Did anyone who got accepted send an update letter (LOI)? Wondering if it would be a good idea to send one.

I really considered it but eventually decided not to. They were pretty clear that we've already been stratified and I didn't think it would make much of a difference. Honestly it's really easy to say that on the other side of the waitlist now. I did send an LOI to Long SOM because by contrast they seemed much more open to updates.

I was accepted off of the wait list and I did send in a letter of Intent, but tbh idk if it made much of a difference because it really seems like the wait list order had already been set. But it also definitely wouldn't hurt to send in updates, so I would go ahead and do it if you think it would help.

For anyone who matched on 1 FEB, (did not prematch) have you received any scholarship info/award?

It's gonna be a while. According to some MS1s on the FB page, some didn't get that info until 2 weeks before classes started or even after classes started.

It's gonna be a while. According to some MS1s on the FB page, some didn't get that info until 2 weeks before classes started or even after classes started.
Thanks for the info, dang that is late.

Talked to the student financial services department a few days ago and they said the $$ offers (scholarship + loan amount (they figure your loan amount based on the amount of scholarship)) will start to come out likely at the end of May. Maybe later for those who get in off the waitlist?

Dropping my IS acceptance here. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got off the waitlist this afternoon!!!!! I was so excited I think the women on the phone laughed a little.

Any opinions on sending a last cry of hope letter of interest??

Any opinions on sending a last cry of hope letter of interest??

I actually called yesterday for any updates on the waitlist and the woman I spoke to specifically asked if I had sent a letter and said she would convey my interest to the committee so you never know it could help!

Received an offer of admission today! IS, LizzyM of 71 (514 MCAT and 3.8 GPA in BME).

I think we talked at the interview about the housing. You were in uniform correct? I hope and wish you the best! Would be great to be classmates.
While I did talk with folks about housing, I'm not sure which one you are :(. But yeah, I'd love to be your classmate as well!
I also received an offer on the 11th. It isn't over till it's over, apparently.

Well, I be damn. Congratulations bro!! Welcome to McGovern.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just got my financial aid letter, what is the family contribution part....because my family definitely is not contributing....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I believe FinAid takes into consideration how much your family will contribute to your education either via money directly or living, etc. when determining how much aid you will be receiving. They use your FAFSA info to determine that. If your family won't be contributing, you should contact the FinAid's office for further clarification.

Has anyone received McGovern scholarship info yet? (not including grants/loans)

Yes, I received a scholarship award letter from student affairs about 2-3 weeks ago.