2017-2018 University of Texas - Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No secondary essays are required at UT Houston (McGovern Med).

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Does this med school have in-state bias?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
edit: mistake, thought this was UTMB.

Last edited:
I would love to go to this school. Interviewed last year but never got off the waitlist. I'm out of state but moving to Texas in July - does anyone know if that will make me a more competitive OOS applicant? Also, is there any way to become a Texas resident in under a year? I've read up on the TMDSAS website but it looks like any way you do it you have to spend a year in Texas. I'd appreciate any help!

Does this med school have in-state bias?
All the Texas medical schools which are state subsidized (which means 9 of the 10 schools, leaving out Baylor which is private) limit the number of non-Texas residents to 10 % of the class. Baylor class tends to have 20-25% out of state. I have sent you a PM as well.

has anyone gotten an "under review" email from houston yet? transmitted 5/11 and all supporting docs in by 5/31

Just received an "Under Review" email!

Weird never got it and I transmitted 5/2

Edit: Probably because theyre waiting for my second MCAT score
+1. My LORs haven't been submitted yet either. Have yours?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also received it! Transmitted 6/5. My letters haven't been submitted yet, though.

Yes everything except my new MCAT score is in. I already had a valid MCAT but I guess theyre waiting on the second one?
I've heard that if you tell a school you're waiting for an MCAT score then they'll wait as well

I transmitted 6/5 but didn't get an 'under review' e-mail yet... Should I contact admissions?

OOS from CA, not received, transmitted may 10. wouldn't worry (especially OOS) we are probably in a low priority batch lol

transmitted 5/11 and still have not received anything yet...?

Transmitted 6/13, Under Review 6/15. My committee packet isn't in yet

Do you know what order they review applications? I'm assuming it's not based on when the application was submitted since others who transmitted after me have gotten "under review" e-mails already.

Do you know what order they review applications? I'm assuming it's not based on when the application was submitted since others who transmitted after me have gotten "under review" e-mails already.

how-medical-schools-review-applications Schools vary in how they filter the applications, getting everything in early does help your application get evaluated in time for early rounds of interviews. If you have received confirmation that all your materials are in, please don't start calling the school at this early stage to see if they have read yours yet. This advice is not directed at any one particular poster - when you have submitted everything, take a deserved break!

how long should i wait before contacting (should i even contact them at all?) them regarding whether or not my application has been processed/is under review or not? transmitted 5/11 and all supporting docs in 5/31

It'd be helpful if we shared our LizzyM scores, OOS/IS, transmission dates, and if we're under review or not. That might tell us more regarding how they're picking.

LizzyM - Lower 70's
OOS
Transmitted primary (including MCAT, LOR's, etc.) - 3rd week of May
Under Review

Everything transmitted 5/25
IS
Under review

Last edited:
Lizzy M in lower 60s, received under review email on 6/15, IS

Good luck to all applicants this year! Incoming MS1, wish you all the best! McGovern is awesome :)

Weird. Got an under review email on June 15, then another corrected email saying under review email on June 22????

I didnt get my first one until this corrected version. Perhaps everyone should have one now?

Got my under review e-mail today as well. It seems like they're sending out these e-mails every Thursday judging from last week.

Weird. Got an under review email on June 15, then another corrected email saying under review email on June 22????

The original email said under review for 2016-2017 cycle, instead of 2017-201&

OIC. Thanks. I see it now.

I am assuming whoever received the 2016-2017 error email has been under reviewed since that email was sent out?

The first email said we were under review for the 2016-2017 interview season. Someone probably said something so they sent another email updated with the right year

Reactions: 1 users
MS2 let me know if you guys have any questions! Good luck!