2017-2018 University of Texas - Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A\\
Just received the wait list email (3:14pm).
Same. I was depressed when I found out I didn't match here. That email just got me sad all over again. Did you reply to the WL email to confirm?

Members don't see this ad.

A\\

Same. I was depressed when I found out I didn't match here. That email just got me sad all over again. Did you reply to the WL email to confirm?

No. I figure they don't want to hear from us again unless they choose us off the waitlist.

The email only specified to email them if we didn't want to be on the waitlist, not if we wanted to confirm our spot.

Reactions: 1 user
Does everyone who didn't match get waitlisted or do they choose some?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone who matched here got an official letter in the mail?

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone who matched here got an official letter in the mail?

You will receive the official letter of your acceptance via mail about 3-4 weeks after Match Day.

Reactions: 1 users
Has any MD/PhD applicant received information on the status of their application?

Anyone going to the welcome weekend?

Have you received more info regarding the Welcome Weekend other than what was on the 2018 Checklist?

No, just what was on the checklist (I think I remember a link to it)

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you received more info regarding the Welcome Weekend other than what was on the 2018 Checklist?
Actually got a sign up email (small fee, but I think its for the shirt) detailing some events. Just excited to meet many of the new classmates!

Just got off the waitlist!!! I’m so surprised and excited!! Did not expect this at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just got off the waitlist!!! I’m so pumped!! Did not expect this at all.

Congrats! Quickly join the FB page. Welcome Weekend is March 23-24. You must sign up for WW by Friday, March 9 to guarantee your shirt size.

Congrats! Quickly join the FB page. Welcome Weekend is March 23-24. You must sign up for WW by Friday, March 9 to guarantee your shirt size.

Okay will do! Thanks for letting me know. I have acceptances at other schools (including in Texas). Does anyone know if I email/call the other schools to let them know or does McGovern handle that part? Thanks!

Okay will do! Thanks for letting me know. I have acceptances at other schools (including in Texas). Does anyone know if I email/call the other schools to let them know or does McGovern handle that part? Thanks!

If you are going to accept McGovern's offer, then you must email your other schools and withdraw.

Got off the wait list today!!! This school was my top choice, so I'm beyond excited! I can't wait to meet everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
I know this wasn't directed at me, but thought I'd contribute anyway. I am IS with an acceptance at Long SOM/UTHSCSA. Interviewed mid-December, which I considered my worst of the interview cycle (very awkward, used wrong titles, ended short). Hadn't written a letter of intent but was intending to.

are you IS or OOS? congrats!

IS! Thank you!!

Edit: I figured I'd add my stats too. Lizzy M 68.8, Completed application in late June, II Early December. WL a few places IS and accepted OOS (all of which I have now withdrawn from).

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone getting in off the waitlist!

Is there typically a lot of movement here? McGovern is my first choice but I am on the waitlist and had pretty much written it off because it seemed like with how the Texas match system works there wouldn't be a lot of people not accepting their acceptance as most people only get one unless they pre-matched. Seeing a few people get in off the waitlist gives me hope!

Congrats to everyone getting in off the waitlist!

Is there typically a lot of movement here? McGovern is my first choice but I am on the waitlist and had pretty much written it off because it seemed like with how the Texas match system works there wouldn't be a lot of people not accepting their acceptance as most people only get one unless they pre-matched. Seeing a few people get in off the waitlist gives me hope!
This is pretty early for WL offers but yes, there is usually WL movement more typical in Late April and May/early June

Besides the two new waitlist offers above, I noticed another SDN poster added to the FB page who was waitlisted and accepted, but did not post on SDN. So don't lose hope!

IS! Thank you!!

Edit: I figured I'd add my stats too. Lizzy M 68.8, Completed application in late June, II Early December. WL a few places IS and accepted OOS (all of which I have now withdrawn from).
Just wondering. What was your MCAT score? I interviewed in early September and got WL and I think maybe my MCAT score of 510 is the reason why

Just wondering. What was your MCAT score? I interviewed in early September and got WL and I think maybe my MCAT score of 510 is the reason why

It's not your MCAT score which is around McGovern's average.

WL folks, I called and talked to admissions with a few questions this morning. I learned that we've all been stratified and any updates you send in will not change your ranking against other WLers at this point. Just thought you should know. Also, she said there is "a lot" of movement on the waitlist.

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone who matched on February 1st get their acceptance letter in the mail yet?

Last edited:
Anyone who matched on February 1st get their acceptance letter in the mail yet?

If you still haven't received it I would contact the school. I emailed them last week because I hadn't received my letter yet and they resent it for me and I already got the new one. The person I spoke with said that Feb. 1st acceptance letters were mailed that day so they shouldn't be taking that long to come in and if they are there could have been a problem.

Just got accepted off the waitlist! Had initially matched to Long SOM

Reactions: 5 users
Do yall know if McGovern extends the offer for the reapplicant workshop to every applicant who didnt interview (which wouuld be thousands) or if it is offered only to a select pool of applicants? I ask because I got the email today and it says the first 100 to sign up can attend so I want to know how many people are going to be flooding that sign up lol.

FYI for those intending to apply in the 2018-2019 cycle: I spoke to admissions and she said they're going to start having secondaries this coming cycle.

I have a question about the Dell laptops McGovern wants us to purchase. I am not a techie and would like anyone who has some knowledge/experience with the Dell Latitude laptops to give an opinion. As someone who isn't looking to do anything fancy with his laptop, are there any significant differences between the Dell Latitude 5490, Dell Latitude 7390 and the Dell Latitude 7390 2 in 1 (besides the more obvious features like touch screen capabilities)? Additionally, there are a number of upgrades they offer, like adding a bigger hard drive or processor, and I'm wondering if anybody recommends upgrading beyond the standard? If you can weigh in I'd be grateful since I'm pretty ignorant about these types of things. Thanks and congrats to everyone who's in off the WL!

I have a question about the Dell laptops McGovern wants us to purchase. I am not a techie and would like anyone who has some knowledge/experience with the Dell Latitude laptops to give an opinion. As someone who isn't looking to do anything fancy with his laptop, are there any significant differences between the Dell Latitude 5490, Dell Latitude 7390 and the Dell Latitude 7390 2 in 1 (besides the more obvious features like touch screen capabilities)? Additionally, there are a number of upgrades they offer, like adding a bigger hard drive or processor, and I'm wondering if anybody recommends upgrading beyond the standard? If you can weigh in I'd be grateful since I'm pretty ignorant about these types of things. Thanks and congrats to everyone who's in off the WL!

Are you on the Class of 2022 FB? If not, get on it because another poster asked essentially the same question from current students. In essence, the answer was if you already have your own preferred laptop/desktop/tablet, then just purchase the cheapest model and use it only for the required exams. No upgrades are necessary for the 5490 version; it has all that's necessary for use on the exams. Use you own preferred computer for everything else.

Are you on the Class of 2022 FB? If not, get on it because another poster asked essentially the same question from current students. In essence, the answer was if you already have your own preferred laptop/desktop/tablet, then just purchase the cheapest model and use it only for the required exams. No upgrades are necessary for the 5490 version; it has all that's necessary for use on the exams. Use you own preferred computer for everything else.
I don’t tend to use FB so that explains that. Thanks for letting me know and I’ll certainly check it out. Appreciate the info as well!

Has anyone ever been to the re-applicant workshop and can comment on how it was?

Accepted here this afternoon! I'm still in shock over it. Sorry to my fellow waitlisters at other schools but this is my first acceptance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted here this afternoon! I'm still in shock over it. Sorry to my fellow waitlisters at other schools but this is my first acceptance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats!!! Did you get a phone call or e-mail from admissions?

Accepted off the waitlist as well this afternoon! I’m a proud member of the sub-70 Lizzy M group. Non-trad engineer. So excited!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Accepted off the waitlist as well this afternoon! I’m a proud member of the sub-70 Lizzie M group. Non-trad engineer. So excited!!
Congrats!!!