2018-2019 Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was put on the alternate list. I am pretty discouraged since I loved this school when I visited and moved mountains to make it to the interview... I wish things were different but it is what it is. Congrats to the lucky bunch, you all deserve it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
CASE doesn’t require a deposit right? I don’t see anywhere you submit one

Members don't see this ad :)
Placed on the alternate list. Interviewed early September!

Congrats to everyone accepted today! And good luck to anyone still in the running. Case is an amazing school :)

Reactions: 1 user
accepted! super grateful. No mention of merit scholarship though... I wonder if there is a cutoff?

mcat 519 gpa 3.94

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on all those that are accepted!

Any interview tips and pros/cons you noticed from the interview day??

Waitlisted, LM 80, interviewed in late September. Congrats to all accepted!

Not him/her but I interviewed the last interview day of September and expected to hear back yesterday, to no avail. Guess we got pushed back.

People who interviewed in the last few days of September will hear back by the end of the month, according to the admissions office. On the interview day we were told the week of October 15 but I guess they got behind :(

Congrats on all those that are accepted!

Any interview tips and pros/cons you noticed from the interview day??

Interviewed here last month- it's a really relaxed interview day, really all of the students/faculty just want you to get a better idea of the program and what to expect at CWRU. My biggest advice is really to just be yourself. My interviews were both pretty conversational, there were a couple of standard interview questions that I was asked, but nothing out of the ordinary. Everyone was super nice and welcoming!

As for pros/cons - I really liked the program, loved how your learning is really self-directed. The case-based learning style makes it so that you kind of have to find out the information for yourself in order to meet the learning objectives & prepare for the weekly cases, but there are didactic lectures available so that you can learn formally too. It's kind of like super sleuthing on a weekly basis haha. Also, you have flexibility in training at Cleveland Clinic versus other CWRU hospitals in the area, which I liked. The students were also super chill and didn't seem too stressed. And cost of living is super low!

I guess a "con" I will mention is that because the new HEP campus (where the medical school is moving) isn't going to be ready until this spring, its hard to know exactly what the facilities/environment will be like since all of your interview stuff is in the old buildings. They do give you a virtual tour of the HEP at the end of your visit, and outline for you exactly how the curriculum will change to account for the move to the HEP campus. The main thing is that most of anatomy won't be cadaveric dissection since the anatomy labs will remain at the old building (which is located across campus from HEP). Instead, they have a small "crash-course" block in anatomy where you will be doing dissections 8am-5pm every day for I believe a week or two. The rest of anatomy will be taught via these really cool hologram simulators that students have been using. For me I did end up leaving my interview day feeling like I don't really know how my experience at CWRU will be like, since our class will be the first to experience HEP and the new anatomy curriculum. I know it will also have an impact on where students will choose to live, since Little Italy (where most students currently are) is much closer to the old building and the new HEP campus is located more near Cleveland Clinic. Hoping that I'll get a better idea with revisit weekend (accepted on Monday)!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know what the portal looks like once their admission decision is made? Like will it tell you on the front page when you login instead of showing the generic “welcome” page?

Does anybody know what the portal looks like once their admission decision is made? Like will it tell you on the front page when you login instead of showing the generic “welcome” page?
There will be a new tab available in the portal with the congrats message and many other pieces of info

Congrats! When did you complete? IS or OOS, and if you don’t mind, stats?
Again Congrats!

Thanks! LizzyM 75+, ORM, OOS! Complete quite early aha, near end of July, so quite happy to hear back!

Congrats! What dates were available to schedule interviews?
A lot of dates...most Mondays, Wed, and Fri for each week starting this Friday, and it went up till December or something

A lot of dates...most Mondays, Wed, and Fri for each week starting this Friday, and it went up till December or something

It looks they are adding interview slots as well. Because there were like no Friday’s available when I scheduled mine, except for 1 week in November. December also wasn’t available yet.

Does anyone know approximately what % of people who interview get in? I know their website says they interview about 900 applicants and their final class size is 170. But what does that mean about how many are accepted?

It looks they are adding interview slots as well. Because there were like no Friday’s available when I scheduled mine, except for 1 week in November. December also wasn’t available yet.

Does anyone know approximately what % of people who interview get in? I know their website says they interview about 900 applicants and their final class size is 170. But what does that mean about how many are accepted?
Around 45% (USNEWS data)

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone know how many people who are selected to apply to the merit scholarship actually receive it?

Approximately 1/3, according to my notes from the financial aid presentation.
I remember them saying that 1/3 get the invite to apply to the merit scholarship. Is that what you have written down? Would be a bummer if only 33% of those invited to apply actually get it :/ I wonder what's even on the application.

I wrote "1/3 invited -> 1/3 get scholarship. Varies 10-40k." So I'm pretty sure I meant 1/3 of accepted students are invited to apply and 1/3 of those who apply get the dean's scholarship.
Gotcha! Thanks for the info :)

pre II R just now for the university program. LizzyM 71-72, complete mid august. Now if CCLM can reject me too, I can get on with my life

Is anyone else intimidated by CWRU tuition rates? I got an II today but already have an acceptance at a school in Texas that would literally cost half as much. And it appears they only hand out a few scholarships.

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone else intimidated by CWRU tuition rates? I got an II today but already have an acceptance at a school in Texas that would literally cost half as much. And it appears they only hand out a few scholarships.
Yeah, prior to interview day I was under the impression that scholarships were more common than they actually are. I haven't been accepted yet but I know with my stats I won't get invited to apply for the scholarship if I am accepted, which is disappointing because I loved the school

II! LM 74, complete 7/29!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats on all of the the new II and best of luck!!!

Does anyone know when the next round of admission decisions is coming out?? You could make the case that the wait is killing me!! Lol sorry for the terrible pun.