2018-2019 Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Called them and they said my apps on hold :/.

Members don't see this ad.

Was there a reason why you called? Did they say why it’s on hold?

They didn’t give me a reason. Guessing they didn’t like me enough to offer an interview and didn’t not like me enough to reject met yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
They didn’t give me a reason. Guessing they didn’t like me enough to offer an interview and didn’t not like me enough to reject met yet.

When were you complete if you don't mind me asking?

When were you complete if you don't mind me asking?

Mid-July.

Wait they’ll just tell you your app status like that?

Well I called to see if they were receptive to update letters, and the lady was like “first let me see where your application is in the process.”

From my experience though their admissions office has always been very nice and insightful.

Wait they’ll just tell you your app status like that?
Yes you can call to ask about your app status (obviously be polite and don't do it excessively). When I called, they had told me that my app had been selected for an interview and that I was already put in the interview queue and to expect an II email in a few weeks :)

Reactions: 1 users
Yes you can call to ask about your app status (obviously be polite and don't do it excessively). When I called, they had told me that my app had been selected for an interview and that I was already put in the interview queue and to expect an II email in a few weeks :)

Wow that's awesome that they do this! How long would you suggest waiting between completion date and calling to ask for a status update? Also, do you know if EVMS prioritizes IS applicant review like VCU does (as in, are IS reviewed and IIed earlier in the cycle)?

Reactions: 1 user
Wow that's awesome that they do this! How long would you suggest waiting between completion date and calling to ask for a status update? Also, do you know if EVMS prioritizes IS applicant review like VCU does (as in, are IS reviewed and IIed earlier in the cycle)?
Would also like to know this as I’m instate!

Hey, I'm not sure if this is worth calling about, but I got an email on the 2nd or 3rd about being placed on the alternate list. Do you know if I'm still considered for the first round of acceptances in October? I wasn't expecting to hear back before the 15th so I'm just a little confused :oops: Sorry to bother you!

What phone number did you call?

Hey, I'm not sure if this is worth calling about, but I got an email on the 2nd or 3rd about being placed on the alternate list. Do you know if I'm still considered for the first round of acceptances in October? I wasn't expecting to hear back before the 15th so I'm just a little confused :oops: Sorry to bother you!
How long after your interview did you get this email? Wondering when I'll hear back as well

I don't have a specific timeline but I had gotten the app complete email around mid July and then called sometime in October and got the II email early November. There are numerous factors that can contribute to the wait time (high volume, rolling admissions, more "attractive" apps given priority for IIs while others are put in the II queue, etc.) but I think if you have been complete since the summer, it doesn't hurt to give a call and check on the status.

I don't know if there is IS vs OOS prioritization but EVMS tries to keep a 50/50 IS:OOS ratio so I don't think there's a lot of preference for giving one priority over the other in terms of app reviews if they have to accept an equal amount in the end. And given the system that's in place for extending IIs, idk how much consideration is strictly given for IS vs OOS when there are so many other things to consider in an app--if anything, IS is just a bonus if the rest of the app is stellar; I don't think the school would prioritize a so-so IS app over a stellar but OOS app just for the sake of giving IS candidates an earlier II if that makes sense. Again, I could be totally wrong about this. But even if they did give IS preference, there are still plenty of IS people who interview throughout the cycle.

If you have already been placed on the alternate list (waitlist) then your post-interview decision has been made. You can call to see which third of the waitlist you have been placed at. If you are in the upper third and were teetering on the border of accept vs. waitlist then you may get an acceptance sometime between now and traffic day but for most, once a waitlist decision has been made, it's now a waiting game :( You should definitely send in updates as is appropriate if you are still interested to one of the 3 emails listed on the admissions site.

What phone number did you call?
The Office of Admissions contact info (phone + emails) is all here: Contact Us - Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS), Norfolk, Hampton Roads

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have a specific timeline but I had gotten the app complete email around mid July and then called sometime in October and got the II email early November. There are numerous factors that can contribute to the wait time (high volume, rolling admissions, more "attractive" apps given priority for IIs while others are put in the II queue, etc.) but I think if you have been complete since the summer, it doesn't hurt to give a call and check on the status.

I don't know if there is IS vs OOS prioritization but EVMS tries to keep a 50/50 IS:OOS ratio so I don't think there's a lot of preference for giving one priority over the other in terms of app reviews if they have to accept an equal amount in the end. And given the system that's in place for extending IIs, idk how much consideration is strictly given for IS vs OOS when there are so many other things to consider in an app--if anything, IS is just a bonus if the rest of the app is stellar; I don't think the school would prioritize a so-so IS app over a stellar but OOS app just for the sake of giving IS candidates an earlier II if that makes sense. Again, I could be totally wrong about this. But even if they did give IS preference, there are still plenty of IS people who interview throughout the cycle.

If you have already been placed on the alternate list (waitlist) then your post-interview decision has been made. You can call to see which third of the waitlist you have been placed at. If you are in the upper third and were teetering on the border of accept vs. waitlist then you may get an acceptance sometime between now and traffic day but for most, once a waitlist decision has been made, it's now a waiting game :( You should definitely send in updates as is appropriate if you are still interested to one of the 3 emails listed on the admissions site.

The Office of Admissions contact info (phone + emails) is all here: Contact Us - Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS), Norfolk, Hampton Roads

I called and the lady that answered said they don't give updates lol

If they have already made post-interview decisions and it's a rejection would we have heard by now?

So I'm the worst human for asking these neurotic questions, but have you heard of anyone being placed on the upper third who doesn't get in..? I know selection off the waitlist is completely based off of more than placement (stats, IS/OOS, demographics, etc.) but what is the ~ball-parked~ likelihood of not being pulled up from the top third? Just depends on the cycle?

I called and the lady that answered said they don't give updates lol
Bummer, sorry to hear! Maybe they've gotten tired of being inundated with calls asking for updates; I think it also depends on who answers your call (since there are 3 of them) and how long it has been since your app was complete. I think they're more likely to provide an update if it's been a long time (read: months) since you've been complete and have had radio silence when there are people who submitted much later than you but have already gotten IIs.

Either way, the waiting game is definitely no fun and I know how excruciatingly painful and frustrating it can be. My best advice is to busy yourself with something for the time being--picking up a new hobby, getting some more community service involvement, shadowing, etc. This way not only are you taking your mind off the stress of waiting but you can also include these things in update letters to show continued interest in the school. And definitely do something that you enjoy--don't push yourself to do something to pad your resume if you absolutely hate doing it. Activities that are not directly related to the medical field are also perfectly fine--you can always tie in those experiences to why it makes you unique and how it will make you a better physician/person. (For example, I started my own pop up shop-type business and my updates talked about how I gained more experience in working with clients and building interpersonal and professional skills).

If they have already made post-interview decisions and it's a rejection would we have heard by now?

I'm wondering this too right now. I haven't seen anyone mention post-interview rejections on here yet this cycle though so I think they may just be sending acceptances and rejections out on the 15th.

Everyone who interviews will get a decision of acceptance, alternate list, or rejection. I think the average time for a decision is 4-6 weeks but it can depend on the cycle. I can't remember the logistics behind the Oct 15 rule but if you interviewed 6-7 weeks ago and haven't heard back, I would call after Oct 15 if you still haven't gotten a decision. Generally, if it has been more than 6-7 weeks since you interviewed, I would call the office and just let them know that you haven't heard back and would like to know when to expect a decision. Also, keep in mind that SDN is a very tiny portion of the entire applicant pool--there are plenty of lurkers and people are also less likely to post about rejections.

So I'm the worst human for asking these neurotic questions, but have you heard of anyone being placed on the upper third who doesn't get in..? I know selection off the waitlist is completely based off of more than placement (stats, IS/OOS, demographics, etc.) but what is the ~ball-parked~ likelihood of not being pulled up from the top third? Just depends on the cycle?
Each third of the waitlist has over 100 candidates so it is not unusual for people in the top third to not get in--I had interviewed on the same day as another SDNer and he was placed in the top third and I was in the middle third. I ended up getting accepted and he never did, and it really just depends on the cycle and what kind of applicants give up their seats since people are taken off the waitlist to best match the candidate who withdrew their acceptance. "Matching" can include IS/OOS, ethnicity, gender, stats, extracurriculars, unique experiences, etc. SO for example, if a OOS non-white ORM male candidate who has lots of experience in global health/outreach gives up their seat, then the adcoms will try to find someone who is similar to that in order to keep the class as diverse as possible. People in the top third are considered first BUT if they cannot find a similar candidate, they will move to the middle third then to the bottom third. THEY DO NOT ACCEPT EVERYONE OFF THE TOP THIRD BEFORE MOVING TO THE MIDDLE THIRD so while the top third has the "best chance", if no one has a similar profile they will move down the list. Also, once you are placed in a specific third, you stay there for the duration of the cycle--there is no such thing as moving up/down the waitlist. Hope this helps!

Everyone who interviews will get a decision of acceptance, alternate list, or rejection. I think the average time for a decision is 4-6 weeks but it can depend on the cycle. I can't remember the logistics behind the Oct 15 rule but if you interviewed 6-7 weeks ago and haven't heard back, I would call after Oct 15 if you still haven't gotten a decision. Generally, if it has been more than 6-7 weeks since you interviewed, I would call the office and just let them know that you haven't heard back and would like to know when to expect a decision. Also, keep in mind that SDN is a very tiny portion of the entire applicant pool--there are plenty of lurkers and people are also less likely to post about rejections.

Each third of the waitlist has over 100 candidates so it is not unusual for people in the top third to not get in--I had interviewed on the same day as another SDNer and he was placed in the top third and I was in the middle third. I ended up getting accepted and he never did, and it really just depends on the cycle and what kind of applicants give up their seats since people are taken off the waitlist to best match the candidate who withdrew their acceptance. "Matching" can include IS/OOS, ethnicity, gender, stats, extracurriculars, unique experiences, etc. SO for example, if a OOS non-white ORM male candidate who has lots of experience in global health/outreach gives up their seat, then the adcoms will try to find someone who is similar to that in order to keep the class as diverse as possible. People in the top third are considered first BUT if they cannot find a similar candidate, they will move to the middle third then to the bottom third. THEY DO NOT ACCEPT EVERYONE OFF THE TOP THIRD BEFORE MOVING TO THE MIDDLE THIRD so while the top third has the "best chance", if no one has a similar profile they will move down the list. Also, once you are placed in a specific third, you stay there for the duration of the cycle--there is no such thing as moving up/down the waitlist. Hope this helps!
I (and I bet everyone else) really appreciates your help and insight throughout this process. Thank you so much!

Wait I’m confused. What is the point of having a ranked waitlist if they’re not even gonna go in order?

Wait I’m confused. What is the point of having a ranked waitlist if they’re not even gonna go in order?
From my understanding, they use the ranking first, such as in the case when there is an opening and a group of applicants have the exact same demographics. They pick whoever is highest up on the list. However they will ultimately fill their class based on what they need to get the "appropriate diversity." If they took the top 100 from the waitlist, their medical class could be 90 white males and 10 white females, which would not go over great in terms of representation. Theoretically they could rank us based on stats with demographics in mind... but nah, I guess they don't do that lol.

@SadAsian has the right idea. EVMS does not have a strictly ranked waitlist and the use of thirds is more for categorizing/prioritizing candidates when deciding who should be taken off the waitlist to fill a new vacancy first. It's all about keeping a well-balanced and diverse class.

From my understanding, they use the ranking first, such as in the case when there is an opening and a group of applicants have the exact same demographics. They pick whoever is highest up on the list. However they will ultimately fill their class based on what they need to get the "appropriate diversity." If they took the top 100 from the waitlist, their medical class could be 90 white males and 10 white females, which would not go over great in terms of representation. Theoretically they could rank us based on stats with demographics in mind... but nah, I guess they don't do that lol.

@SadAsian has the right idea. EVMS does not have a strictly ranked waitlist and the use of thirds is more for categorizing/prioritizing candidates when deciding who should be taken off the waitlist to fill a new vacancy first. It's all about keeping a well-balanced and diverse class.

Maybe I’m not understanding it right. To me There’s no real point in having a ranked list of any sort if they’re gonna do a diversity search through all the applicants anyway. Being in the top third therefore is pretty meaningless then since you still don’t have a high chance of getting in if your demographics don’t match

Maybe I’m not understanding it right. To me There’s no real point in having a ranked list of any sort if they’re gonna do a diversity search through all the applicants anyway. Being in the top third therefore is pretty meaningless then since you still don’t have a high chance of getting in if your demographics don’t match
But it lets you know that in the event your demographics do match, you have a "good" chance of getting in. Maybe it's cruel since it could just be false hope, but I think it's nice moving forward to know what third I've been placed in.

But it lets you know that in the event your demographics do match, you have a "good" chance of getting in. Maybe it's cruel since it could just be false hope, but I think it's nice moving forward to know what third I've been placed in.
Sure but you don’t know that they match until you get accepted so if you eventually discover that someone in the bottom third ended up getting the call (due to demographic match) while you’re in the first third, I can’t see it as you have a “ good” chance of getting in . Basically everyone’s on equal footing except those that match the demographics of what they’re looking for have a leg up

Sure but you don’t know that they match until you get accepted so if you eventually discover that someone in the bottom third ended up getting the call (due to demographic match) while you’re in the first third, I can’t see it as you have a “ good” chance of getting in . Basically everyone’s on equal footing except those that match the demographics of what they’re looking for have a leg up

Let's say you're pretty equivalent with the demographics of a seat they are trying to fill. There may be multiple people in the middle and bottom third that fill those spots, but since you're in the top-third they'd choose you over the other people. It gives you a leg up over other people on the wait list that are similar to you in most aspects if you're ranked higher than them. While not a perfect system, I understand why they do it.

I mean think about any other wait list though. We get placed on the wait list but have no idea if we stand a chance because of two factors (1) we will never know who decides to keep or drop their acceptance or what their demographics are... that will always be by chance per cycle. Then (2) we don't know if we're at the top or bottom of the list (think VCU where I'm like am I #1 or #200?) so my hopes are all over the place. So EVMS tries to eliminate one of those factors, maybe it's not incredibly helpful to everyone, but I think it's helpful to know where I've been placed statistically.

I mean think about any other wait list though. We get placed on the wait list but have no idea if we stand a chance because of two factors (1) we will never know who decides to keep or drop their acceptance or what their demographics are... that will always be by chance per cycle. Then (2) we don't know if we're at the top or bottom of the list (think VCU where I'm like am I #1 or #200?) so my hopes are all over the place. So EVMS tries to eliminate one of those factors, maybe it's not incredibly helpful to everyone, but I think it's helpful to know where I've been placed statistically.

You already got your VCU II? I am still waiting for EVMS. VCU 02/12.

Can we send app updates? There is a portal on the secondary app to upload documents, but unclear if it is for general app updates

Can we send app updates? There is a portal on the secondary app to upload documents, but unclear if it is for general app updates
All post-secondary updates need to be sent directly to one of the three admissions emails since they do not check the portal once your secondary has been received.

Does anybody know if acceptances are being sent out tomorrow? Last year they didn't send them out until the second day allowed by traffic rules but hoping that isn't the case this year.

Does anybody know if acceptances are being sent out tomorrow? Last year they didn't send them out until the second day allowed by traffic rules but hoping that isn't the case this year.

On my interview day, it sounded like a yes, but they might still wait another day or two. Who really knows, but I'm nervous/excited to hear from them!

That's because the 15th fell on the weekend last year. :)

Seeing all these other threads with people getting acceptances this morning and I'm just like..
chsIk8m.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Waitlisted.
IS

Tons of extracurriculars and felt my interview went very well. Man am I bummed