2018-2019 George Washington University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry if this has been asked already - is GW receptive to ITA? Asking for a friend

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted students is there a deposit required to hold your seat? I don’t see one in any of my emails and am worried I missed something

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I have a family emergency unfolding right now and can't leave my city. I had an interview 12/20 at 9:15 AM that I just now asked to reschedule so there should be an empty slot if someone's in the area and wants to email the ad com about an interview this weekend. Sorry for the short notice

I'm probably being super neurotic but I thought I'd ask this anyway. Has anybody else who interviewed recently noticed their post-interview status on the portal change slightly? Before, the status paragraph was a bit longer and mentioned something about it taking up to 8 weeks to hear back about a decision. It no longer says that and just says:

"Thank you so much for taking the time to visit The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences and interview with us! The Committee on Admissions carefully and judiciously reviews files and as such we humbly appreciate your patience during this process and will be in contact with you once a decision is made."

For reference, I interviewed a couple of weeks ago. Somebody calm me down please lol

Reactions: 3 users
I'm probably being super neurotic but I thought I'd ask this anyway. Has anybody else who interviewed recently noticed their post-interview status on the portal change slightly? Before, the status paragraph was a bit longer and mentioned something about it taking up to 8 weeks to hear back about a decision. It no longer says that and just says:

"Thank you so much for taking the time to visit The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences and interview with us! The Committee on Admissions carefully and judiciously reviews files and as such we humbly appreciate your patience during this process and will be in contact with you once a decision is made."

For reference, I interviewed a couple of weeks ago. Somebody calm me down please lol

My portal changed too! I’m stressed !!!

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted an update a month ago, still on hold since July. Basically a rejection at this point? Anyone know when they stop sending ii? Assuming it’s soon if it hasn’t already happened

Anyone who was accepted saw this message or know how long it might be before we get a response??

Members don't see this ad :)

I think everyone gets this status, ya'll are neurotic af

Reactions: 3 users
I think everyone gets this status, ya'll are neurotic af

I am aware that everybody who interviews gets this status. What I am saying is that the post-interview status message was altered slightly for me, and I was wondering if it had changed for everybody or just a select few.

Hey!
I don't know if this has been a problem for other people, but has anyone had trouble getting onto the website that gives access to the portal?
It says access denied. Two weeks ago I was able to check the status of my application, and now I can't even get in.
I wanted to be able to access it in order to see if I can submit an update letter on there?
If not, do you recommend just emailing the update letter to the admissions email address?

Hey!
I don't know if this has been a problem for other people, but has anyone had trouble getting onto the website that gives access to the portal?
It says access denied. Two weeks ago I was able to check the status of my application, and now I can't even get in.
I wanted to be able to access it in order to see if I can submit an update letter on there?
If not, do you recommend just emailing the update letter to the admissions email address?
Weird! You definitely can send in update letters through the portal. Are you using this link? GW SMHS MD Program Applicant If that still doesn't work you may want to call adcom once they're open after the holidays. I am getting an access denied for the general page, but let me know if the above link works for you.

approaching the 4 week mark for end of November interviewees, anyone have any guess on when we can expect to hear back?

approaching the 4 week mark for end of November interviewees, anyone have any guess on when we can expect to hear back?

Looking at last year's thread it looked like mid Nov interviewees heard back early to mid Jan so my guess is probably late Jan?

Still on hold for an II since early September. Should I send in an update?
If so, what can/should we include in a pre-II update? I graduated early in December with a 4.0 and recently acquired a medical scribing position as well as a tutoring position. Can I mention those?

Still on hold for an II since early September. Should I send in an update?
If so, what can/should we include in a pre-II update? I graduated early in December with a 4.0 and recently acquired a medical scribing position as well as a tutoring position. Can I mention those?
Yes, mention all of those. Those are great things to say.

Hey yall,

Wanting to know if anyone has advice on how to show my interest and commitment to the school. I've sent update letters and I've sent a new updated recommendation letter from my employer.
Any advice on how to stand out to them?
Thanks,
Lucy

Hey yall,

Wanting to know if anyone has advice on how to show my interest and commitment to the school. I've sent update letters and I've sent a new updated recommendation letter from my employer.
Any advice on how to stand out to them?
Thanks,
Lucy
I feel like that's all you can reasonably do...

I feel like this is a dumb question, but is there a difference between sending a letter of interest versus an update ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I feel like this is a dumb question, but is there a difference between sending a letter of interest versus an update ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Letters of interest are to reinforce that you're interested in the school, generally after you've already interviewed and have a spot on the waitlist. If you haven't received an II yet, there's not really a point since they already know you're interested. Pre-II, sending updates can help show that you're interested and highlight new elements of your app.

Reactions: 1 users
So, what is it looking like if you are on hold? How far through interviews are they?

Reactions: 5 users
Anybody try to schedule an interview earlier than the one given in your email?

What is the earliest those on the waitlist could potentially hear back?

What is the earliest those on the waitlist could potentially hear back?
Im guessing there around late april since you have to limit our acceptances down to 3 by April 15th anf down to 1 by April 30th.

seems like never

I've been on hold for re-review since August. I have no idea when they will actually re-review my app but I've sent 4 updates (all significant) to no avail. It seems like each hold for re-review has a different priority level. My app is probably at the bottom of the totem pole.

Reactions: 1 users
what did people's portals look like after they got an II? did the "correspondence concerning the status of your application" message remain until the date of interview?

I've been on hold for re-review since August. I have no idea when they will actually re-review my app but I've sent 4 updates (all significant) to no avail. It seems like each hold for re-review has a different priority level. My app is probably at the bottom of the totem pole.
I am in the same boat. I have had no movement on my end. I am just hoping that we will hear back within the next month or so. They thought we were good enough to be given a second chance in August so I am trying to hold on to that hope.

Any current students (or anybody really) know how the WL movement is here? Are they the type of school that likes small frequent updates and showing continued interest often? Or is it better to wait and send larger updates and maybe a LOI?

what did people's portals look like after they got an II? did the "correspondence concerning the status of your application" message remain until the date of interview?
yes! That message remained for me until my interview date. After I interviewed, it was changed to the generic post interview message that other users have already posted.