Sep 18, 2018
If we follow their current interviewing trends based solely off interview dates verified on SDN (definitely the most reliable data source)
We can expect 1-2 more interview days from the 4th-10th of May.

And using this info we can say they're probably interviewing 400-420 students for 24 spots. (20-21 interview days x 20 prospects a day)

So ~6% post interview acceptance.
6% matriculation at least. So the acceptance rate should be slightly higher.

Mar 18, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
on their website it says interview season runs from April 1st - May 10th so I think it's safe to assume May 10th will be the last day? Might still be more IIs left to go out. On my interview day I also remember them saying something about interviewing up until that week but they weren't holding interviews every day
I'm not sure it's safe to assume that. Given that they were handing out interview invites in huge amounts early on to ensure they had a large enough applicant pool to draw from, I'd guess it's a possibility that they may end interviews on May 3 as well. Granted as a huge disclaimer, I'm completely speculating here.

Reactions: dreamcatcher9252

1996-

2+ Year Member
May 14, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
6% matriculation at least. So the acceptance rate should be slightly higher.
I've interviewed at another coveted 24-spot program this cycle and how it worked was that they only gave out the exact same number of acceptances as spots, and only took people off waitlist one by one as people withdrew their acceptances. I think the whole 'acceptance yield' thing is different when the class size is so small. Wouldn't be surprised if the same thing were to happen here!

Warmkittens

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I believe at my interview day, they said May 8th will be the last day (may have changed to May 6th tho). They said they also significantly lowered the amount of interviews they had intended on doing, so expect like 10-15 interview days in total, so its like 250-300 interview invites total. Still only like a 8-10% acceptance rate though lol.

Aug 8, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
to people who interviewed recently: out of curiosity, how many people were at your interview day?

nihil_nomen

I am the watcher on the threads
Dec 10, 2018
When do y’all think we’ll start hearing decisions post interview?
First of all, I'm liking that gender-neutral use of "y'all"

Just going off of numbers alone, they would have known enough bottom-of-the-list applicants after the first week of interviewing to start sending those epochal R's... but we know that they didn't.

They said during interviews that they are sending R's and A's based on ~what's best for students, and not based on what makes decisions easier for other schools.~

This was mentioned in regards to the April 15th, 30th, and May 20th.

So, they are probably gonna stick to May 14th-21st and maybe even further. Who knows ‍♂ .

It's a new school and they are already accredited *cough* NYU power *cough*.

They'll do what they want at the end of the day, and I will still be here shirking off my papers until Ultra-Instinct anxiety mode kicks in.

P.S. If you can read this hit me with that like button... Feed ego plz -> need food -> ego starving

nihil_nomen

Dec 10, 2018
Applicants gather, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my acceptance. I shall take no R's, hold no waitlists, father no specialties. I shall pursue no fellowships and win no residencies. I shall tend and befriend at my post. I am the scalpel in the darkness. I am the watcher on the threads. I am the shield that guards the realms of the underserved. I pledge my life and honor to primary care, for this night and all the nights to come.

―The primary care physician's oath

KaioKaizen

Spaghet Boi
Mar 16, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Monday, April 29th interviews unite

Reactions: cocoaloco and ick19

nihil_nomen

Dec 10, 2018
I am pretty sure everyone is still waiting for the call and trying to avoid checking this thread. But I am here if you want to discuss the meaning of life :p
So on that topic of the meaning of life, I think we are all created by random chance due to the inherent properties of a variety of particles. Given enough time basic macromolecules would come to assemble and eventually come together in a combination that induces self-replication. Giving this process enough time and under the right circumstances, these self-replicating units (if allowing for imperfect replication) would slowly change over time. Eventually, they would become complex enough to interact with stimuli in their environment becoming more complex until they had a better means to facilitate their self-replication (like evolutionary enzymes allowing for changes to happen faster and faster). I think all these processes would lead to more changes that ultimately speed up the change and advancement of this process. So as time goes on these changes can happen faster and faster allowing for more changes until we get some stable cellular organism that could reproduce. I think over time these evolutionary processes would accelerate until we have some semblance of life, but this path would have had innumerable set-backs over time. Like a thread-of-life in time that could be snapped at any point removing billions of years of random molecular interactions and completely erasing life as we know it.

In our case, the thread didn't snap, and we became complex enough in a pattern that was fast enough to resist and environmental setbacks. I also think life was able to advance to this point because we had both literal and figurative enzymes that could speed up both reactions and evolutionary changes respectively. I think modern technology is one of these figurative enzymes and we don't treat it as such because of the way we frame our perspective in the world around us. I think technology like the Cas9/CRISPR system that is highly debated is one of these "evolutionary enzymes" and people are aware that because our timeline is a thread this technology could either help us resist environmental stresses or snap the thread-of-life.

I think that the universe has existed forever and by some random event (maybe in the past trillion years black holes swallowing everything in the universe led to some major collapsing instability which ultimately created the big bang, and this process could have been happening for trillions of years, and in this big bang cycle we just happened to be created by random chance).

Getting back to the meaning of life, you might think my explanation means that we are nothing special and here simply because of a random chance, but my view on the matter is actually on the contrary. Each person on this planet has literally had an almost one in infinity chance of being here, and that is something that we should value and cherish. I think each individual person and culture is something amazing which might not have been here in another cycle of life and the fact that we all have the capacity to learn about all these different cultures, religions, people and lifestyles is something we are desensitized to because they've been around us for so long and we all have our own cultures and values that we have a tendency to stick to. I think working in medicine will give me the opportunity to help people enjoy more of their life by giving them more time to learn about the world around them. Life may be a speck of time in an endless existence that cycles forever, and this may mean that random chance could make an exact replica of you in a trillion years from now that would have no idea that you ever existed. While all this is hypothetical what isn't hypothetical is the fact that you are alive now, in a world filled with more information than you could ever hope to understand and you have your life and vitality. While this may mean we have no distinct purpose in the world, you can give yourself purpose by doing whatever you can to explore the world around you and learn more about it or make a mark on society which allows your name to be cherished for a longer speck of time.

Last edited:

KaioKaizen

Spaghet Boi
Mar 16, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
So on that topic of the meaning of life, I think we are all created by random chance due to the inherent properties of a variety of particles. Given enough time basic macromolecules would come to assemble and eventually come together in a combination that induces self-replication. Giving this process enough time and under the right circumstances, these self-replicating units (if allowing for imperfect replication) would slowly change over time. Eventually, they would become complex enough to interact with stimuli in their environment becoming more complex until they had a better means to facilitate their self-replication (like evolutionary enzymes allowing for changes to happen faster and faster). I think all these processes would lead to more changes that ultimately speed up the change and advancement of this process. So as time goes on these changes can happen faster and faster allowing for more changes until we get some stable cellular organism that could reproduce. I think over time these evolutionary processes would accelerate until we have some semblance of life, but this path would have had innumerable set-backs over time. Like a thread-of-life in time that could be snapped at any point removing billions of years of random molecular interactions and completely erasing life as we know it.

In our case, the thread didn't snap, and we became complex enough in a pattern that was fast enough to resist and environmental setbacks. I also think life was able to advance to this point because we had both literal and figurative enzymes that could speed up both reactions and evolutionary changes respectively. I think modern technology is one of these figurative enzymes and we don't treat it as such because of the way we frame our perspective in the world around us. I think technology like the Cas9/CRISPR system that is highly debated is one of these "evolutionary enzymes" and people are aware that because our timeline is a thread this technology could either help us resist environmental stresses or snap the thread-of-life.

I think that the universe has existed forever and by some random event (maybe in the past trillion years black holes swallowing everything in the universe led to some major collapsing instability which ultimately created the big bang, and this process could have been happening for trillions of years, and in this big bang cycle we just happened to be created by random chance).

Getting back to the meaning of life, you might think my explanation means that we are nothing special, but a random chance but my view on the matter is actually on the contrary. Each person on this planet has literally had an almost one in infinity chance of being here, and that is something that we should value and cherish. I think each individual person and culture is something amazing which might not have been here in another cycle of life and the fact that we all have the capacity to learn about all these different cultures, religions, people and lifestyles is something we are desensitized to because they've been around us for so long and we all have our own cultures and values that we have a tendency to stick to. I think working in medicine will give me the opportunity to help people enjoy more of their life by giving them more time to learn about the world around them. Life may be a speck of time in an endless existence that cycles forever, and this may mean that random chance could make an exact replica of you in a trillion years from now that would have no idea that you ever existed. While all this is hypothetical what isn't hypothetical is the fact that you are alive now, in a world filled with more information than you could ever hope to understand and you have your life and vitality. While this may mean we have no distinct purpose in the world, you can give yourself purpose by doing whatever you can to explore the world around you and learn more about it or make a mark on society which allows your name to be cherished for a longer speck of time.
The universe has existed for billions of years, and we're existing just in time to browse dank memes.

Feb 16, 2019
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

Getting back to the meaning of life, you might think my explanation means that we are nothing special and here simply because of a random chance, but my view on the matter is actually on the contrary. Each person on this planet has literally had an almost one in infinity chance of being here, and that is something that we should value and cherish. I think each individual person and culture is something amazing which might not have been here in another cycle of life and the fact that we all have the capacity to learn about all these different cultures, religions, people and lifestyles is something we are desensitized to because they've been around us for so long and we all have our own cultures and values that we have a tendency to stick to. I think working in medicine will give me the opportunity to help people enjoy more of their life by giving them more time to learn about the world around them. Life may be a speck of time in an endless existence that cycles forever, and this may mean that random chance could make an exact replica of you in a trillion years from now that would have no idea that you ever existed. While all this is hypothetical what isn't hypothetical is the fact that you are alive now, in a world filled with more information than you could ever hope to understand and you have your life and vitality. While this may mean we have no distinct purpose in the world, you can give yourself purpose by doing whatever you can to explore the world around you and learn more about it or make a mark on society which allows your name to be cherished for a longer speck of time.
What a wall of text! I agree with your probabilistic perspective. I think you might enjoy the selfish gene and its sequel, the extended phenotype.

Reactions: nihil_nomen

capa55

2+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
So bets on what will come first, GoT finale or NYULISOM decisions?
At my interview Dr. Barlev said that, while they have been trickling out very few rolling A’s, the majority of decisions will be sent the week of the 13th (most likely towards the end of the week).

Reactions: Beantown101

doctahdoctah2019

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2009
Status
At my interview Dr. Barlev said that, while they have been trickling out very few rolling A’s, the majority of decisions will be sent the week of the 13th (most likely towards the end of the week).
Was your interview before or after the email he sent where he mentioned the majority would be sent 2nd to 3rd week of May?

Mar 18, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
They probably trickled a few acceptances before 4/30 to see what kind of applicants they could snag before the plan to enroll deadline so they could estimate out how many acceptances to give out.

If I had to guess, there likely wont be many if any decisions released before they're ready to send them out en masse.

Jul 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Was your interview before or after the email he sent where he mentioned the majority would be sent 2nd to 3rd week of May?
I interviewed this week and Dean Barlev said next Wednesday is the last (and I think only left) interview day and we should hear roughly a week after that so around the 15th to maybe the 17th

Last edited:
Reactions: doctahdoctah2019