2018-2019 NYU Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Two previous posters (both with LizzyM 75) chose peds and got interviews 3/15 for dates Ar[il 1-5. It seems these may have been from an initial admissions office screen for high stats (?), and the committee from peds choosing interview candidates has yet to send out invites. This is my hope at least, having chosen peds with a lower LizzyM!

Ok!! Thanks. I feel the exact same way as you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So my neuroticism has me speculating on where they're at with ii's and how many more are incoming using the data from posts on here:

Total ii's - 20
Interview Dates - April 1-12 (2 out of 6 interview weeks (April 1 - May 10))

??Unstated Specialty?? - 7
IM - 8
Ped - 2
Surg - 2
OBGYN - 1

pure speculation but if everyone who gets an ii actually posts on SDN and there aren't any missing ii's then they gave out 20 over the first 1/3 of the interview season. So if they follow the same rate there will be a total of ~60 ii's sent out for 24 spots.

Still ~40 ii's to go.
If they follow the same ratio to fill their class then remaining ii's will be:
14 wild card ii's, 16 IM, 4 ped, 4 surg, 2 obgyn

:xf: still hoping for a miracle

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So my neuroticism has me speculating on where they're at with ii's and how many more are incoming using the data from posts on here:

Total ii's - 20
Interview Dates - April 1-12 (2 out of 6 interview weeks (April 1 - May 10))

??Unstated Specialty?? - 7
IM - 8
Ped - 2
Surg - 2
OBGYN - 1

pure speculation but if everyone who gets an ii actually posts on SDN and there aren't any missing ii's then they gave out 20 over the first 1/3 of the interview season. So if they follow the same rate there will be a total of ~60 ii's sent out for 24 spots.

Still ~40 ii's to go.
If they follow the same ratio to fill their class then remaining ii's will be:
14 wild card ii's, 16 IM, 4 ped, 4 surg, 2 obgyn

:xf: still hoping for a miracle

lol

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II for pediatrics right now. Dates were 4/11 and 4/12. LM ~67

Reactions: 3 users
II for surgery, complete 3/5

I've avoided SDN over the years but have been on this thread for info. Figured I'd log in to contribute

Reactions: 4 users
II! LM 70 complete 3/3, internal medicine. April 11 and 12 were available for me. Looks like they love sending us IIs on a sunday!

So I needed some advice. I’m a non trad student. My masters gpa was a 3.7 and my mcat was a 498. Do I have any shot at all in applying here if I’ve only applied DO this cycle. This would be my first and only MD school that I would apply to?

So I needed some advice. I’m a non trad student. My masters gpa was a 3.7 and my mcat was a 498. Do I have any shot at all in applying here if I’ve only applied DO this cycle. This would be my first and only MD school that I would apply to?

I really don't think so with a 498. Given the free tuition and conditionally guaranteed residencies, I think this will be very competitive.

Has anyone heard any sort of explanation/elaboration as to why Surgery is one of the 4 choices in the secondary application? It seems so odd that a school with a focus on primary care would offer that, especially considering their surgical residency programs are ortho and podiatric surgery.

I've called and emailed the school asking about this with no response yet.

The only way to know is by applying. Go for it! At least you could say you tried. As what my psych prof would typically say...we regret the most the things we didn't do.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would strongly recommend against it. Most MD schools already screen out MCATs sub <500, and given that this school has free tuition, I would imagine it's quite a bit more competitive than the average MD school

Reactions: 1 users
I really don't think so with a 498. Given the free tuition and conditionally guaranteed residencies, I think this will be very competitive.
If the moeny and time is not a hindrance, do not let your scores stop you from giving it a shot. Why not?

If the money and time is not a hindrance, do not let your scores stop you from giving it a shot. Why not?

Update: Have you been accepted into any DO schools? Do you plan to take the MCAT again? If you anticipate applying to MD school next cycle, don't apply. I think you would be considered a reapplicant.

Another consideration with a three year program is they will be very disinclined to take any academic chances.

Another consideration with a three year program is they will be very disinclined to take any academic chances.
True, especially with this being their first class, from the trends I've seen, new MD schools typically are very cautious with their first class applicants academic wise and tend be more leniant/"holistic" once their first class has already graduated.

Has anyone heard any sort of explanation/elaboration as to why Surgery is one of the 4 choices in the secondary application? It seems so odd that a school with a focus on primary care would offer that, especially considering their surgical residency programs are ortho and podiatric surgery.

I've called and emailed the school asking about this with no response yet.

So I'm interested in ortho. I called the school to ask about this and the person I spoke with stated this would be for general surgery--which they do actually have at Winthrop, although that isn't clear based on their website.

So I'm interested in ortho. I called the school to ask about this and the person I spoke with stated this would be for general surgery--which they do actually have at Winthrop, although that isn't clear based on their website.

Interesting. Yeah, if by not being clear you mean nonexistent haha. Well I'm glad they answered you because they still haven't gotten back to me.

Did they elaborate at all as to why they're wanting any of their students to go into surgery? 99/100 medical professionals will tell you that general surgery isn't primary care, but hell I'm interested if they're saying it is.

Interesting. Yeah, if by not being clear you mean nonexistent haha. Well I'm glad they answered you because they still haven't gotten back to me.

Did they elaborate at all as to why they're wanting any of their students to go into surgery? 99/100 medical professionals will tell you that general surgery isn't primary care, but hell I'm interested if they're saying it is.
While I definitely don’t know the school’s rationale behind including surgery, I did apply to surgery and get an interview. First off, NYU Winthrop does appear to have an ACGME-accredited general surgery residency, so it seems like they will train general surgeons. The program gained accreditation in September 2018, and there are currently 0 residents enrolled, which makes me think they just established it for the new school. There are 5 categorical spots available, which makes me think they’ll take 5 surgery students for the first class. I got all this from the ACGME website.

As to what their rationale might be for including surgery in a primary care-focused program, in my secondary I made an argument as to why it would be beneficial for a rural general surgeon to train in a primary care-focused environment (I want to do rural general surgery). I don’t know if this is what they had in mind, but I guess it seemed consistent enough with their vision to give me an interview.

I just want to say something to whoever may come across this. This forum is pretty much from the eyes of every applicant. Don't believe everything you see or let what someone else say hinder YOU from applying. There are some facts in here, but in reality what everyone is saying is opinion based. You won't know if YOU DON'T TRY. It's good to come here and seek advice and help from your counterparts and fellow applicants but please don't let anyone deter you from applying. I don't care whether you have a GPA of 2.5 still APPLY you never know what can happen. So please don't be discouraged if someone replies and the answer is somewhat disappointing, just do your best and try. Sending love to everyone out there struggling or worrying, God got you !

Reactions: 8 users
I just want to say something to whoever may come across this. This forum is pretty much from the eyes of every applicant. Don't believe everything you see or let what someone else say hinder YOU from applying. There are some facts in here, but in reality what everyone is saying is opinion based. You won't know if YOU DON'T TRY. It's good to come here and seek advice and help from your counterparts and fellow applicants but please don't let anyone deter you from applying. I don't care whether you have a GPA of 2.5 still APPLY you never know what can happen. So please don't be discouraged if someone replies and the answer is somewhat disappointing, just do your best and try. Sending love to everyone out there struggling or worrying, God got you !
Thank you so much for the words of encouragement...and I believe 101% that He does!

Does anyone know how this school will work in regards to the April 30th deadline of having to choose one school? If I get accepted here for example I'd be able to switch my plan to enroll to here right since the commit to enroll deadline hasn't passed yet?

This is not meant to come across as rude, but feeding peoples delusions isn't right either. Being optimistic is great, and of course if you want to do something you absolutely should.

But, NYULISOM clearly states they don't accept an mcat after january 24 and being that its their inaugural class its just unrealistic to think theyll wait for your mcat score to come back in June when you take it in May... which would be after they finish their interview cycle. You are absolutely welcome to email their admissions directly and ask, but if you're going to post on this thread I believe its a logical conclusion for people to say that its probably to late.

Take the mcat, I absolutely hope you kill it and get into your dream school! But you gotta also be realistic, and I think for the most part when people ask questions, this thread has been giving honest responses to people. The person earlier was asking about applying with a 498, its the persons choice if they want to spend the money and do it, but if I were in their boots I would just retake the mcat and apply next cycle as a first time MD applicant, rather than trying to throw a hail mary this cycle to NYULISOM and then become a re-applicant next cycle and hurt their chances.

Does anyone know how this school will work in regards to the April 30th deadline of having to choose one school? If I get accepted here for example I'd be able to switch my plan to enroll to here right since the commit to enroll deadline hasn't passed yet?

From AAMC website: https://students-residents.aamc.org...lication-and-acceptance-protocols-applicants/

9. Out of respect for other applicants, if you receive an offer of acceptance from more than one school or program:
  1. Withdraw your acceptance from any school or program you do not plan to attend as soon as you have made that decision;
  2. On or before April 15, narrow your selection(s) to no more than three schools or programs, and withdraw your acceptance(s) from all other schools or programs; and
  3. On or before April 30, choose the school or program to which you plan to matriculate and promptly withdraw your acceptances from all other schools or programs.
10. If you receive additional acceptances following April 30, it is your responsibility to promptly notify any school(s) you have decided to not attend. Your decision should be made by the deadline established by the medical school(s).

I think this answers your question? So if you get an acceptance from NYULI after April 30 and you plan to enroll here you just have to 'promptly' notify that one school you previously committed to it seems.

This is not meant to come across as rude, but feeding peoples delusions isn't right either. Being optimistic is great, and of course if you want to do something you absolutely should.

But, NYULISOM clearly states they don't accept an mcat after january 24 and being that its their inaugural class its just unrealistic to think theyll wait for your mcat score to come back in June when you take it in May... which would be after they finish their interview cycle. You are absolutely welcome to email their admissions directly and ask, but if you're going to post on this thread I believe its a logical conclusion for people to say that its probably to late.

Take the mcat, I absolutely hope you kill it and get into your dream school! But you gotta also be realistic, and I think for the most part when people ask questions, this thread has been giving honest responses to people. The person earlier was asking about applying with a 498, its the persons choice if they want to spend the money and do it, but if I were in their boots I would just retake the mcat and apply next cycle as a first time MD applicant, rather than trying to throw a hail mary this cycle to NYULISOM and then become a re-applicant next cycle and hurt their chances.
Wait,

I wasn't even referring to myself. I don't care about the deadline for an MCAT. I took my MCATS already, I just wanted to retake them that's why I posed the initial question. But all I'm doing is sprinkling words of encouragement to anyone that's having difficulties. What I stated is in no reference to anything about MCATS.

Be blessed !

I’m confused, so is this a completely new school or is it like a school or program within NYU? What will the ranking be? Will it have its own ranking and everything or is it just part of NYU. Because I think in the rankings it specifies Langone.

I’m confused, so is this a completely new school or is it like a school or program within NYU? What will the ranking be? Will it have its own ranking and everything or is it just part of NYU. Because I think in the rankings it specifies Langone.
Separate school with a separate faculty and mission. It has a separate entry on the MSAR, and it's accreditation is separate from NYU in Manhattan. It will likely have a separate ranking as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Separate school with a separate faculty and mission. It has a separate entry on the MSAR, and it's accreditation is separate from NYU in Manhattan. It will likely have a separate ranking as well.
The rankings and stats for this school will be interesting to see lol. My guess is it will be comparable to NYU but maybe a bit more forgiving...

II this morning! Lm 69 submitted 3/5 for pediatrics!!!!

Super hypeeeeee

Just received II - LM 68 chose internal medicine submitted 3/5 !!

They're going to end up interviewing 200 people for those 24 spots lol

Has anyone gotten an interview for Ob-gyn??? Seems like there aren't many..?

I don't know if it's the anxiety or self-doubt kicking in, but I'm starting to feel like I didn't actually deserve an interview, and they've probably ruled me out before I even interviewed.

Does anyone have any coping advice?

• Wow
I don't know if it's the anxiety or self-doubt kicking in, but I'm starting to feel like I didn't actually deserve an interview, and they've probably ruled me out before I even interviewed.

As someone who is still patiently waiting for an interview, you more than deserve an interview if they believed your application was stellar and interesting. They wouldn't waste their time, money, and effort on you to rule you out before you interview. You should go on that interview and completely kill it and sell yourself, cause you probably won't get a better chance like this in life. Just be you and shine like a star, that will seriously take you places one day. I wish you the best in life and I hope the best works out for you!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
This seems to be a bit ridiculous lol. How many people are they interviewing for 24 spots?

They didn't pick your application out from a pool of thousands of applicants just for fun, youre in this position because they're interested in you! Put your best foot forward and make the most of this opportunity because it might not come again!

I swear if I check their website another time there'll be a pop up saying "girl stop playing, you were here just 20 seconds ago"

I have an interview coming up on April 12th. I am so excited but super nervous. Can anyone who has had luck with MMIs please share what you studied before the interview?

As someone who is still patiently waiting for an interview, you more than deserve an interview if they believed your application was stellar and interesting. They wouldn't waste their time, money, and effort on you to rule you out before you interview. You should go on that interview and completely kill it and sell yourself, cause you probably won't get a better chance like this in life. Just be you and shine like a star, that will seriously take you places one day. I wish you the best in life and I hope the best works out for you!

They didn't pick your application out from a pool of thousands of applicants just for fun, youre in this position because they're interested in you! Put your best foot forward and make the most of this opportunity because it might not come again!

Thank you guys so much. Your kind words have really helped me feel better about the process <3