2018-2019 NYU Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This will be my first (and only) interview, so forgive my ignorance here, but am I correct in assuming that since it's an MMI there will not be any questions like "why medicine?" or "why this school?"?
Some MMIs have more traditional "interview" stations mixed in. I would be prepared for those questions too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any point in applying here?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Hoping that this MMI is similar in difficulty to AMC's, but I've talked to a friend who said that out of NYMC, UMass, and NYULI, this one was the most difficult

I'm so overwhelmed and confused about what is important to study for this type of interview. Do you have any tips about where to learn about current medical topics? Also, do we really need to know anything in depth about medical ethics besides the four pillars?

This is what I glanced over for the AMC MMI, but ultimately it barely helped. I think what's most important is changing your thinking and developing your ability to react quickly to the prompt and follow up questions

Did you spend a lot of time preparing?

I spent a good chunk of time preparing (about 10 hours over 5 days) but honestly, I'd say that it helped little to none. They generally try to make it so you cant really prepare for it, so they can evaluate your thought process and decision making on the fly. This MMI was pretty effective at doing that.

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed this week, so I can ramble about the school for a little bit. I won't discuss any part of the actual interview to ensure that I'm not violating the NDA. I applied stating interest in Internal Medicine. Complete 3/7. II on 3/13.

Campus (research building-did not have chance to tour hospital):

The building with classrooms/lecture halls is literally brand new. The student lounge and study area were still under construction and projected to be finished in about 2 months. If for some reason the project is delayed, there is already enough rooms/study space to accommodate the incoming class of 24. There's a small clinic located in the building dedicated to clinical trials and a floor which is pretty much exclusively wet lab space, so if you were interested in clinical or wet lab research, there are opportunities to go through the school.

Lunch:

They brought in some attendings and residents to talk about the hospital during lunch as they have no students at this time. I had the chance to chat with some pediatrics and IM residents. A recurring theme between the residents was that Winthrop was a very nice place to do residency. Both the IM and peds residents seemed to be enjoying their time there.

Curriculum:

So the curriculum is a 3 year program. The major difference that I picked up on is that you begin your clerkships during your second year along with classes. They emphasized that they are aiming to move away from lecture and do classroom learning in focused small groups which will rotate every few months so you interact with your entire class. As for timing of board exams, you are scheduled to take Step 1 at the end of your second year with a 1 month structured preparation with the school. You then have a summer break before coming back and taking Step 2 at the start of your third year after 3 weeks of structured preparation with the school.

Random note: They plan on teaching anatomy with plastinated models instead of cadavers.

Admissions logistics:

There were 20 people in my interview group, which means if they keep up the current volume there will be 600 total interviews handed out. (30 interview days from 4/1-5/10*20 interviewees=600) I would expect this to slow down in the later weeks, but that's just speculation on my part. In terms of number of acceptances, Dr. Barlev mentioned that they had no set number in mind at this time. He mentioned that they would be sending them out conservatively starting around the 3rd week of May and then increasing/decreasing based on initial response.

That's all I can think of for now. If anyone has other questions, I'll try to see if I can answer them.

Nice summary, thank you.
Did anyone ask about Y1 schedule logistics? Is it going to be modeled based on NYU-3Y-MD main campus's schedule? It seems that labs are Mondays and Thursdays in the morning for all modules and I am assuming these are mandatory. Are the seminars the rest of the days available online or mandatory attendance? How about exams? online ? Lastly how often CAPEs and POM (I am assuming also mandatory)?

Nice summary, thank you.
Did anyone ask about Y1 schedule logistics? Is it going to be modeled based on NYU-3Y-MD main campus's schedule? It seems that labs are Mondays and Thursdays in the morning for all modules and I am assuming these are mandatory. Are the seminars the rest of the days available online or mandatory attendance? How about exams? online ? Lastly how often CAPEs and POM (I am assuming also mandatory)?

Unfortunately, my interview group did not ask questions with that level of detail about the M1 year. Perhaps someone else who had interviewed would be able to chime in,

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting for an interview...lol...but i doubt ill get one at this point

Reactions: 4 users
not sure if this has been asked, but let's say that during your medical training at NYULISOM, you decide to switch into a specialty that is not on the list of conditionally guaranteed residencies at NYULISOM. how do you guys think an NYULISOM student with a 3yr MD will be viewed in the national match at other schools?

not sure if this has been asked, but let's say that during your medical training at NYULISOM, you decide to switch into a specialty that is not on the list of conditionally guaranteed residencies at NYULISOM. how do you guys think an NYULISOM student with a 3yr MD will be viewed in the national match at other schools?
At the end of the day getting into residency is about your step score, research, and LORs. You prob wont have the opportunity to rotate through many specialties so you may not get a chance to develop relationships with specialty physicians because of the times constraints so you'd be going down this route of shooting for a specialty residency at your own risk. But, i'm sure that its possible if you decided to go above and beyond to put in the extra effort to kill the steps, develop relations on your own, and do research. No one will know how the school will be viewed till the inaugural class actually applies.

What would you consider being low? (not asking in a rude tone, I'm just trying to figure out my place!) thanks!

Since the average matriculate has 510-511, and this is likely a more competitive school due to the free tuition, I’d say my score is relatively low.

Ok
I’m probably going to get a lot of criticism fir this post, but I’ve always been one to express what I believe in . People should remember, this is NOT NYU. I got a rejection from NYU just like a lot of people, and a week later got an invitation to apply to this place. But, sorry, I’m not going to be duped by what this “school” is selling. From what I know and have read, anatomy is vital to medical school education, no matter what school or where. Plasticized anatomy models instead of cadaver dissections? No way a plastic model can replicate a human body, just like starting an IV in a model with those gorgeously bursting veins will never substitute for the satisfaction of starting one in a dehydrated drug addict with no palpable veins...
And if they can’t have a proper anatomy class, what else are you going to miss?
Are they going to cram basic science into one year? That’s a red flag to me. No thanks. And why would you sacrifice the opportunity to study or practice in ANY specialty after you’ve killed yourself for so long? Don’t be baited by the “NYU” name and the “free tuition”. You will sacrifice more than you ever dreamed of as far as learning opportunities are concerned.
Just my humble opinion.
I want to clarify something based on what we were told at the interview - plasticized does not equal plastic. The students learn anatomy on real human organs and structures, however they haven’t been preserved with formaldehyde, but with a plastic resin instead. Does it change the texture and feel of the organ somewhat? Probably, but it’s not as if formaldehyde doesn’t. As far as whether or not the students physically dissect things themselves, as someone who has done many dissections to learn anatomy, I feel that most students, who are not professional anatomists and often destroy the minute structures they’re looking for, don’t learn anatomy most efficiently by spending 6 hours dissecting an organ. Your experience may differ, but the approach they’re using to teach anatomy is not invalid nor necessarily inferior.

Reactions: 7 users
I want to clarify something based on what we were told at the interview - plasticized does not equal plastic. The students learn anatomy on real human organs and structures, however they haven’t been preserved with formaldehyde, but with a plastic resin instead. Does it change the texture and feel of the organ somewhat? Probably, but it’s not as if formaldehyde doesn’t. As far as whether or not the students physically dissect things themselves, as someone who has done many dissections to learn anatomy, I feel that most students, who are not professional anatomists and often destroy the minute structures they’re looking for, don’t learn anatomy most efficiently by spending 6 hours dissecting an organ. Your experience may differ, but the approach they’re using to teach anatomy is not invalid nor necessarily inferior.

@teehee257
@Wannabemdee

While I'm trying not supporting either side of this argument, I think it's silly to complain about plastinated models being inferior because neither of the aforementioned models will be identical to a living body (I know this point is already mentioned but it's worth reiteration)

Ultimately, if someone really wants to dissect a human preserved in "insert preservative" there are plenty of weekend groups you can join to practice dissecting whatever type of preserved body you prefer. (You won't be paying tuition and $1,500 for a dissection class of your preference is a drop in the bucket if you really believe it will significantly change your experience).

At the end of the day, you're entitled to your opinion on the matter but wouldn't want someone in this group being deterred from attending this school because of a perceived barrier to education.

I'm not saying either one of you is right or wrong, all I'm saying is there are ways to work around what you may see as a barrier to a more fulfilling education. Sometimes it's just a matter of understanding what resources are available. (This is also a common trend in the world of healthcare)

II received on Friday for Peds! Secondary completed early April.

If May 3rd was the only date available, then it looks like the interview invites might be coming to an end.

Going forward, if anybody gets an invite or has an interview date after May 3rd then we can assume I'm wrong about this.

If May 3rd was the only date available, then it looks like the interview invites might be coming to an end.

Going forward, if anybody gets an invite or has an interview date after May 3rd then we can assume I'm wrong about this.
on their website it says interview season runs from April 1st - May 10th so I think it's safe to assume May 10th will be the last day? Might still be more IIs left to go out. On my interview day I also remember them saying something about interviewing up until that week but they weren't holding interviews every day

on their website it says interview season runs from April 1st - May 10th so I think it's safe to assume May 10th will be the last day? Might still be more IIs left to go out. On my interview day I also remember them saying something about interviewing up until that week but they weren't holding interviews every day

If we follow their current interviewing trends based solely off interview dates verified on SDN (definitely the most reliable data source)
We can expect 1-2 more interview days from the 4th-10th of May.

And using this info we can say they're probably interviewing 400-420 students for 24 spots. (20-21 interview days x 20 prospects a day)

So ~6% post interview acceptance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
If we follow their current interviewing trends based solely off interview dates verified on SDN (definitely the most reliable data source)
We can expect 1-2 more interview days from the 4th-10th of May.

And using this info we can say they're probably interviewing 400-420 students for 24 spots. (20-21 interview days x 20 prospects a day)

So ~6% post interview acceptance.
6% matriculation at least. So the acceptance rate should be slightly higher.

Reactions: 2 users
6% matriculation at least. So the acceptance rate should be slightly higher.

You’re talking idealistically, with free tuition I’ll budge like .5% max on these numbers.

I'm not sure it's safe to assume that. Given that they were handing out interview invites in huge amounts early on to ensure they had a large enough applicant pool to draw from, I'd guess it's a possibility that they may end interviews on May 3 as well. Granted as a huge disclaimer, I'm completely speculating here.

I believe at my interview day, they said May 8th will be the last day (may have changed to May 6th tho). They said they also significantly lowered the amount of interviews they had intended on doing, so expect like 10-15 interview days in total, so its like 250-300 interview invites total. Still only like a 8-10% acceptance rate though lol.

Just got an II. 5/8 was the only available date

I feel like I wasted $140 applying here :)

Don't be too hard on yourself. $140 is a minuscule price to pay for a shot at your dreams

Yeah that was my logic behind throwing in an application here despite such few spots. But man, does it get annoying when all these "minuscule" prices add up...

Last edited:
to people who interviewed recently: out of curiosity, how many people were at your interview day?