2018-2019 TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has there been any talk about financial assistance after the first year? Or how much tuition will be after the first year?

I asked point blank on interview day and they said to expect about $57,500 (which would have been this year's tuition if not for the generous gift of Paul Dorman). That said, they made it clear that they are in the process of looking for more potential donors to help subsidize the cost of tuition for future years as well.

Members don't see this ad.

@SOM Admissions I am wondering if there is any available info on the average stats for applicants who have been accepeted so far?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Entering class stats will be provided after the class matriculates this summer.
Hi @SOM Admissions

Are there still open interview spots available? Your previous post stated that the school was approximately at its halfway point in terms of sending interview invitations and with this recent big wave of interview invites for March dates, I was curious as to how many possible spots are still in consideration. Thank you for your continued presence and contribution!

Hi @SOM Admissions

Are there still open interview spots available? Your previous post stated that the school was approximately at its halfway point in terms of sending interview invitations and with this recent big wave of interview invites for March dates, I was curious as to how many possible spots are still in consideration. Thank you for your continued presence and contribution!

Interview invitations will continue to go out weekly, a process that is wrapping up very soon. We may create a very small "waitlist" given that we are experiencing ~1 cancellation each week (at the very last minute). Again, be a great premedical student citizen and release interview spots sooner than 12-hours before the scheduled day. We cannot recover this seat once lost.

Reactions: 10 users
Interview invitations will continue to go out weekly, a process that is wrapping up very soon. We may create a very small "waitlist" given that we are experiencing ~1 cancellation each week (at the very last minute). Again, be a great premedical student citizen and release interview spots sooner than 12-hours before the scheduled day. We cannot recover this seat once lost.

feel bad for the handful of individuals who won't be receiving an II due to these cancellations :(

hurts to hear that. This school is my #1, thus the II wait is truly agonizing.

Keep your head up. Also, please tell me this is the meaning behind your profile name:

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II received today at 3:07 pm central time!! I am so thankful to TCU for this opportunity. I cannot express my excitement enough! Keep your heads up high guys!

Cheers!

Reactions: 5 users
II just now! So incredibly excited and grateful. March 18 and 25 were available for me.

Best of luck to all still waiting, I hope you hear some good news soon!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to the recent II! Hope to meet you all at my MDAVD soon!

Edit: looks like my day has closed off. Either way, hope to meet anyone!

Congrats to those who received II’s today! All the best to y’all!

I asked point blank on interview day and they said to expect about $57,500 (which would have been this year's tuition if not for the generous gift of Paul Dorman). That said, they made it clear that they are in the process of looking for more potential donors to help subsidize the cost of tuition for future years as well.
Wow so only like $100,000 more expensive tuition over the four years, compared to every other Texas school

Lol what a joke

Wow so only like $100,000 more expensive tuition over the four years, compared to every other Texas school

Lol what a joke

It is incredibly fortunate that Texas subsidizes public medical education at the rate they do. Having come from another state public medical education system, it is quite remarkable. As a private institution without any state funding, we are working hard to keep our tuition below the median of other private schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Interviewed 2/11, feeling incredibly nervous about tomorrow's news. Are they only making phone calls for acceptances or are will making the wait list warrant a call as well?

Interviewed 2/12, feeling incredibly nervous about tomorrow's news. Are they only making phone calls for acceptances or are will making the wait list warrant a call as well?

Anyone held for further consideration (not a waitlist position but rather eligible for offers at future meetings) will receive the news via email.

Lol what a joke

Would you rather that they abide by the 90/10 rule that every other texas school does and not even give OOS students a chance? I for one appreciate the chance they are giving OOS students to pursue their medical education in Texas even if it does come at the cost of high tuition. Honestly its true what they say, you can't satisfy everyone.

Reactions: 7 users

Lol what a joke

Have you looked at the average indebtness of medical school graduates? Class of 2018 graduates had an average debt of $196,520. This school is right on par for keeping their class around that (even without the state funding).

Edit: Private medical schools have an average tuition of $59-60k (private medical school tuition)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Have you looked at the average indebtness of medical school graduates? Class of 2018 graduates had an average debt of $196,520. This school is right on par for keeping their class around that (even without the state funding).

Edit: Private medical schools have an average tuition of $59-60k (private medical school tuition)
Yes they are right around average, for a private medical school, I am not denying that.

I just really do not see how they expect to compete long term with any of the TMDSAS schools [and Baylor] considering the enormous tuition difference.

Hopefully they will be able to secure four year scholarships for their inaugural class, like UNLV, UCF, Carle, etc all did

Yes they are right around average, for a private medical school, I am not denying that.

I just really do not see how they expect to compete long term with any of the TMDSAS schools [and Baylor] considering the enormous tuition difference.

Hopefully they will be able to secure four year scholarships for their inaugural class, like UNLV, UCF, Carle, etc all did

They emphasized their efforts to subsidize tuition for coming years at the interview day. They truly have high hopes of providing affordable medical education. That said, no school is perfect. I’m not sure that they’re in the business of “competing” with TMDSAS schools, considering all of the schools in Texas have the same goal of producing physicians to serve the state and their communities. Not to mention that there is certainly no shortage of qualified candidates, so schools don’t really struggle to fill their classes. They have so much to offer in terms of their program and the support there, and as someone else mentioned, the ability to take more OOS students. I’m not here to say that tuition is cheap, but seeing my own state school cost the same amount over four years, I think TCU is on track to be plenty “competitive”.

(Not to mention the cost of living in Fort Worth keeps costs much lower than other US cities with private medical schools)

Lol what a joke
I don't think they are in competition with tmdsas schools. I am sure they are aware of the price difference. This seems to be a niche school based around the mission and holistic outlook, theres a reason that they said the stats of those interviewed were~ 3.6 504. I think this school provides an opportunity to those who might have been overlooked by other tmdsas MD schools based on numbers but still have a good quality app. UIW (A DO school) is 60k a year and I haven't heard anyone complain about the price. We are just lucky that these TX state schools are so subsidized. Now, personally, if I was running a new med school I would want my entering class to have some high stats haha but that's just how they're running it here, they really are giving an opportunity to the whole application. I'm sure this school will produce good physicians regardless of the stats of the entering class or the price.

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck to those finding out decisions today!!
Sending good vibes to everyone!!!

Reactions: 7 users
@SOM Admissions how many acceptances do you plan to extend in order to fill the 60 seats? Is it usual to expect 2-3 acceptances per seat to fill the 60 seats?

Last edited:
Accepted a couple hours ago!

Reactions: 9 users
Still patiently waiting for II and trying to not start freaking out. Almost resolved to the fact I'll be reapplying in May/June

:thinking: Was doing my daily rounds of the few portals for schools that haven't rejected me, when I noticed TCU's is down. Instead of making the realistic assumption that there are technical difficulties I'll take this to mean that everyone gets an II.
Hahaha I thought my internet was acting up when I couldn't load the page

Still patiently waiting for II and trying to not start freaking out. Almost resolved to the fact I'll be reapplying in May/June
Same here, patiently waiting for an II. Submitted my secondary on 12/1. Let's hope for the best!

II this morning so grateful and excited!!

II just now!!! March 18,23 and April 1st available! Holy cow I did not expect this because of those audio essays..... so stoked for the opportunity because this school seems to be everything I could dream of in a medical school.

Reactions: 9 users
This school was really great! The inaugural class will be a fortunate bunch!

Same here, patiently waiting for an II. Submitted my secondary on 12/1. Let's hope for the best!

Same here, especially since this is my last real shot at MD. Hoping for the best for all of us!

@SOM Admissions How many more invitations does your team anticipate on sending out for the remaining interview positions between now and April?

Me waiting by my phone in ~24 hours...

tenor.gif

Reactions: 6 users
Possibly last chance to get an II today, seeing as the committee meets today and they said that II's were wrapping up "very soon." Fingers crossed, both for myself and all of you!
Where did they say that?

Where did they say that?
if im not mistaken, a couple pages back, someone posted a picture of a list of dates the adcom meets. Could not find it though but I may have been looking on the wrong page!

Reactions: 1 user