2018-2019 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (Middletown Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just put down my deposit today! Super excited to meet all of my classmates this Fall!
P.S. can anyone tell me if there's an acceptance page somewhere on FB? Thank you!

No. There isn't a fb page yet. There should be. I dont know if it falls on us to create one or someone from the school creates one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No. There isn't a fb page yet. There should be. I dont know if it falls on us to create one or someone from the school creates one.
I guess we'll wait and see if there's one available soon. Another question I have for those who knows anything about research at TouroCOM; according to TouroCOM's website, there are a few laboratories that are active in conducting research. Does anyone know if that is something we medical students have access to or is that reserve for some other programs? Also, can any current students give me some input on their living experience at the school's dormitories? I apologize if I asked too many questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Put down my deposit! So excited!

Reactions: 3 users
Hang in there! I have my fingers crossed for you. I don’t understand why the adcom is taking so long to give out decisions?

Thanks man, I appreciate that. Hopefully in a couple months we’ll be classmates! Kinda sucks cause I have to shell out another grand to go interview at another school now cause I’m not in at my favorite school yet (here)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks man, I appreciate that. Hopefully in a couple months we’ll be classmates! Kinda sucks cause I have to shell out another grand to go interview at another school now cause I’m not in at my favorite school yet (here)

So much for them getting back to people on Friday...

Just got my first interview invite of the cycle here!!! Interviewing Monday! Anyone else interviewing Monday or have any tips?

Just got my first interview invite of the cycle here!!! Interviewing Monday! Anyone else interviewing Monday or have any tips?

Super relaxed, but they do try to do good cop bad cop but I don’t think they did it very well. Every teacher is in reality a really nice person so they don’t really pull it off well, which is nice. Expect one ethics question, but not everyone in my group got asked one.

A lot of people on here seem to be putting down deposits... Considering there are only 100 DO class spots for non-MS students, I wonder if they're gonna start throwing tons of people onto the waitlist soon. :(
My class has 136 students with 25 from the masters students. Unless they are bringing in more masters students, I think they will have more than 100 spots. There's a guy in my class that applied in March and there's another guy in my class who was accepted during orientation so don't lose hope.

I'm a first year and I still really have no idea what they look for in interviews. It's probably different for each professor. The dean really likes to emphasize board scores and keeping students in the program. Non of the faculty or even the deans talk about practicing in NY or staying in primary care. If I were to guess I'd say they are looking for students that can graduate and score well on boards. The faculty has mentioned a few times that the only complaints they receive from rotation hospitals are lack of professionalism from students so that might be something they place more weight on for interviews this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess we'll wait and see if there's one available soon. Another question I have for those who knows anything about research at TouroCOM; according to TouroCOM's website, there are a few laboratories that are active in conducting research. Does anyone know if that is something we medical students have access to or is that reserve for some other programs? Also, can any current students give me some input on their living experience at the school's dormitories? I apologize if I asked too many questions.
I'm not a big research person so I have not asked about research opportunities BUT at least once a month a student from my class will give a research presentation. I've gotten two or three emails asking to join a professor with research (it was a mass email of course).

I don't live on campus but as far what you can do if you live on campus, they have a small 24/7 food/essentials area and that's about it. The dorms are old hospital rooms and they don't allow any cooking of food, even a microwave. There's a whole bunch of stuff crammed into Middletown though, you can find everything you need within a mile. Overall, the curriculum and professors are great, but you might be disappointing if you are looking for a good "life on campus" experience.

Hi guys! I just wanted to reach out and say that I go to Touro so if any of you want to reach out to me with any questions please feel free! I wish y'all luck in this application cycle.

Hi guys! I just wanted to reach out and say that I go to Touro so if any of you want to reach out to me with any questions please feel free! I wish y'all luck in this application cycle.

How do we get an acceptance facebook page started? Is this something that we need to start on our own? or does the SGA start one for us?

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for reaching out! Question: could you share w us your clerkship experience? What are the pros and cons of living and rotating in New York? Does the school provide any kind of support during board exam time? How much dedicated study time do we get to study for boards? Do you know how many students take both the comlex and Usmle? Again, sorry for the many questions. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for reaching out! Question: could you share w us your clerkship experience? What are the pros and cons of living and rotating in New York? Does the school provide any kind of support during board exam time? How much dedicated study time do we get to study for boards? Do you know how many students take both the comlex and Usmle? Again, sorry for the many questions. Thanks for your help.

Im actually going to be your classmate, but, I thought I'd share with all of you an email conversation I had with someone who was in the first graduating class. He now is a Family Medicine Resident at Penn State. He didn't address the specific "how many students take both exams" but, from my perceptions, it is safe to say we all SHOULD take both exams now in the coming years. Hope this helps:

Congrats on your acceptance to TouroCOM! My general perception is that it was a great education that definitely prepared me well for boards and internship. As I’m sure you’re already aware it’s not a traditional med school curriculum with live lectures. However, I liked the flipped classroom approach because it definitely saved needless time sitting in an auditorium and allowed for learning at your own pace, and if you did have questions then that’s what the clicker sessions were for. You get a lot of time off for directed board studying at the end of 2nd yr as well.

As far as rotations go, it was really hit or miss. There were some stellar locations and some not so stellar ones. I was also the 1st graduating class, so they have definitely improved since then. I was at St. Luke’s Hospital and had a great experience. There were no residents there, but I specifically chose that hospital for that reason because I wanted more 1-on-1 time with attendings. However, if you want a more structured hierarchy, then ORMC was a great institution as well for clincals. From what I hear, everyone feels that they were well prepared for residency based on Touro’s 3rd year rotations. Ultimately, you really get out of it what you put into it. Our 1st class matched really well too in pretty much every single field of medicine. I don’t know if you have any specific interests, but I’m sure we have someone who matched into that field who could assist you along the way.

Because it’s a relatively newer school, the faculty were really perceptive to input from students. For example, I was really interested in international medicine, but there was no avenue for me to pursue that when I was there. So I just started the international medicine club and organized a trip to Honduras. The school provided a lot of funding and medical supplies because they really wanted their kids to succeed. Just a small example, but the school is invested in your education. Frank, the admissions director, is great and really has your back.

Some cons: Middletown itself is not upper class. It’s not NYC or Philly or even Hershey if that’s what you are looking for. But there’s still a lot to do (microbrews, city is only 1 hr train ride away, free YMCA membership, etc). Everyone is nice, you get a lot of local discounts for pretty much everything. Also, for preclinicals, it is letter graded and not pass/fail like maybe some other places. I thought this might be an issue when I first got there, but soon realized that grades ultimately do not matter when it comes to residency. What they really care about is rec letters and board scores, which are both strengths for Touro.

Hope that helps answer your question. Let me know if I can further assist!

Im actually going to be your classmate, but, I thought I'd share with all of you an email conversation I had with someone who was in the first graduating class. He now is a Family Medicine Resident at Penn State. He didn't address the specific "how many students take both exams" but, from my perceptions, it is safe to say we all SHOULD take both exams now in the coming years. Hope this helps:

Congrats on your acceptance to TouroCOM! My general perception is that it was a great education that definitely prepared me well for boards and internship. As I’m sure you’re already aware it’s not a traditional med school curriculum with live lectures. However, I liked the flipped classroom approach because it definitely saved needless time sitting in an auditorium and allowed for learning at your own pace, and if you did have questions then that’s what the clicker sessions were for. You get a lot of time off for directed board studying at the end of 2nd yr as well.

As far as rotations go, it was really hit or miss. There were some stellar locations and some not so stellar ones. I was also the 1st graduating class, so they have definitely improved since then. I was at St. Luke’s Hospital and had a great experience. There were no residents there, but I specifically chose that hospital for that reason because I wanted more 1-on-1 time with attendings. However, if you want a more structured hierarchy, then ORMC was a great institution as well for clincals. From what I hear, everyone feels that they were well prepared for residency based on Touro’s 3rd year rotations. Ultimately, you really get out of it what you put into it. Our 1st class matched really well too in pretty much every single field of medicine. I don’t know if you have any specific interests, but I’m sure we have someone who matched into that field who could assist you along the way.

Because it’s a relatively newer school, the faculty were really perceptive to input from students. For example, I was really interested in international medicine, but there was no avenue for me to pursue that when I was there. So I just started the international medicine club and organized a trip to Honduras. The school provided a lot of funding and medical supplies because they really wanted their kids to succeed. Just a small example, but the school is invested in your education. Frank, the admissions director, is great and really has your back.

Some cons: Middletown itself is not upper class. It’s not NYC or Philly or even Hershey if that’s what you are looking for. But there’s still a lot to do (microbrews, city is only 1 hr train ride away, free YMCA membership, etc). Everyone is nice, you get a lot of local discounts for pretty much everything. Also, for preclinicals, it is letter graded and not pass/fail like maybe some other places. I thought this might be an issue when I first got there, but soon realized that grades ultimately do not matter when it comes to residency. What they really care about is rec letters and board scores, which are both strengths for Touro.

Hope that helps answer your question. Let me know if I can further assist!
That really helps answered a lot of my questions, thank you future classmate!

Just got an invite to interview! They gave me 3 dates that are 2 weeks away, 4 weeks away, and 6 weeks away. Any opinion or knowledge on whether it's better to interview sooner vs later?

I interviewed the 12/3 but I was just wondering if anyone else has heard back for either my date or the date before mine. Getting very anxious!!

I’m 11/12 and I heard back. My friend interviewed on 11/19 and she hasn’t heard back yet.

II yesterday! Anyone know how many interviews they offer vs how many they accept? Also I'll have to fly, anyone have any travel tips like where to fly in to and where to stay for the night?

Just got an invite to interview! They gave me 3 dates that are 2 weeks away, 4 weeks away, and 6 weeks away. Any opinion or knowledge on whether it's better to interview sooner vs later?
asap

II yesterday! Anyone know how many interviews they offer vs how many they accept? Also I'll have to fly, anyone have any travel tips like where to fly in to and where to stay for the night?

typically a school will invite 3x class size, accept 2x class size. rough numbers, of course.

if you can find a flight into Stewart international it's about a 30 minute drive to Middletown from there. otherwise, Newark or JFK but you'll have to rent a car or deal with public transport. the drive from Newark is not bad as long as you do NOT do it within a 3 hour window of rush hour.

Frank said yesterday, they interview about 500 (which is 3x their class size)

Was accepted a few weeks ago and am currently doing the next steps after the first deposit! So excited to be there! If any of the accepted ones would like to message me we can start communicating and thinking about places to live and all! Let me know if it is something that interests you! :)

Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to SDN. Is anyone else having a terrible time coping with this long wait? (interviewed - 01/14/19)

I am still in my preclinical years so I cant speak on this personally but the other person who responded to your question was pretty spot on in terms of what I have been told!

Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to SDN. Is anyone else having a terrible time coping with this long wait? (interviewed - 01/14/19)

I interviewed 12/3.... and yes, I must say all of this waiting is definitely making me quite anxious!!! :confused:

It took them more than 9 weeks to get back to me. I lost sleep for that amount of time! I guess the thing that got me through was keeping myself busy. I took on as many working days as I could ( I literally worked 7 days/week and still do), and all that working kept me from going insane. Hope that helps, and good luck!

It took them more than 9 weeks to get back to me. I lost sleep for that amount of time! I guess the thing that got me through was keeping myself busy. I took on as many working days as I could ( I literally worked 7 days/week and still do), and all that working kept me from going insane. Hope that helps, and good luck!

9 WEEKS!!!

9 WEEKS!!!

It's been, ten weeks since Touro looked at me,
Cocked their heads to the side and said, "We're busy."
Four weeks since they emailed me, saying
"Wait til the 11th, come back and see me"
Two weeks since my feeling of doom
I realized I should've asked Frank, but didn't call him
Last week, they accepted me
But it's still another week before I send my deposit

Reactions: 2 users
It's been, ten weeks since Touro looked at me,
Cocked their heads to the side and said, "We're busy."
Four weeks since they emailed me, saying
"Wait til the 11th, come back and see me"
Two weeks since my feeling of doom
I realized I should've asked Frank, but didn't call him
Last week, they accepted me
But it's still another week before I send my deposit

Congrats!!! I’m hoping for a similar story...but consolidated to about 6 weeks max! *insert praying hands emoji here*

Congrats!!! I’m hoping for a similar story...but consolidated to about 6 weeks max! *insert praying hands emoji here*

I got my acceptance in 6 weeks. I received other acceptances within 2 weeks, 1 week, and even 1 day of interview-- so I was still stressing quite a bit over touro. It's funny that the one that i was losing sleep over is the one that I ended up choosing. lol.

I know it can be frustrating-- but keep your head up!

Last edited:
I got my acceptance in 6 weeks. I received other acceptances within 2 weeks, 1 week, and even 1 day of interview-- so I was still stressing quite a bit over touro. It's funny that the one that i was losing sleep over is the one that I ended up choosing. lol.

I know it can be frustrating-- but keep your head up!

I appreciate that. I’m trying to keep myself busy in the meantime with work. Hoping for the best! Touro should have a disclaimer on their secondary that says “Side effects of applying to our school include insomnia, paranoia, and borderline poverty.”

Hey everyone!

I just got a waitlist email.. is anyone else here on the waitlist?

For anyone who is a current student, how long do you think it will take before the waitlist starts moving in your experience? What percentage of students do you think get off of the waitlist once they are put on?

Waitlisted...interviewed 12/3. Kind of bummed but keeping my chin up and staying hopeful!

Hey everyone!

I just got a waitlist email.. is anyone else here on the waitlist?

For anyone who is a current student, how long do you think it will take before the waitlist starts moving in your experience? What percentage of students do you think get off of the waitlist once they are put on?
Better than a rejection! When did you interview if you don't mind me asking?

I was waitlisted originally for any of those who want to message me separately and see what I did as a waitlisted candidate

Reactions: 2 users
For 2017-2018, the first-time pass rate for COMLEX 1 at Middletown was 93%. For COMLEX 2-CE, it was 85%. For COMLEX 2-PE, it was 87%.

These figures are well below the national averages (96%, 93%, and 93%, respectively), and they're extremely concerning to me... Does anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited: