2018-2019 Tufts University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And all regular or Maine? You’d think they send out decisions 1 way or another by now...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who got calls this past Thursday, have you received the acceptance email?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So,uh, does this school even send interviews???

Reactions: 18 users
just cancelled an interview for 11/27, spot is now open if anyone wants an earlier interview date

Reactions: 5 users
Deferred ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I had a very negative interview experience here, so I'm not too surprised (nor am I too upset). My interviewer was inappropriate with his line of questioning and he was borderline racist

Reactions: 2 users
Deferred ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I had a very negative interview experience here, so I'm not too surprised (nor am I too upset). My interviewer was inappropriate with his line of questioning and he was borderline racist
did you notify the school? Sometimes they wont take that interview into consideration

did you notify the school? Sometimes they wont take that interview into consideration
I was thinking about it, but tbh I didn't care enough. I didn't want to have to come back for another interview or something

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I had the same interviewer, lol . He was asking what ethicity my parents were, what they did when they arrived, etc. I didn't take any offense and just assumed it was designed to be a stressful interview. Got accepted but sitting on a full ride merit scholarship elsewhere so we will see what their financial aid package looks like in March.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else who interviewed September or October (Maine track) not receive call or deferral?

Anyone else who interviewed September or October (Maine track) not receive call or deferral?
Same here! Silence, interviewed on 10/5 for Maine Track

I haven't heard anything either and I'm not feeling good at all at this point. I also recall being told we'd hear back end of October. It's terrible to let it drag on this long, but I wonder if there was some disconnect between how the Maine Track committee wanted to carry things out and what the administration at Tufts decided. Maybe they want to compare more interview groups together before sending out additional acceptances. Maybe they want to see who they're getting in the traditional MD program. Anyways, this is just speculation. I'd like a decision either way at this point. I keep mulling over stupid things I said during the MMI which was an interview style I struggled with. It's driving me crazy, and I just want this to be over.

Reactions: 5 users
I haven't heard anything either and I'm not feeling good at all at this point. I also recall being told we'd hear back end of October. It's terrible to let it drag on this long, but I wonder if there was some disconnect between how the Maine Track committee wanted to carry things out and what the administration at Tufts decided. Maybe they want to compare more interview groups together before sending out additional acceptances. Maybe they want to see who they're getting in the traditional MD program. Anyways, this is just speculation. I'd like a decision either way at this point. I keep mulling over stupid things I said during the MMI which was an interview style I struggled with. It's driving me crazy, and I just want this to be over.

To add to speculation, I work with a doc. who used to be a part of admissions committee (3-5 years ago) and asked her about it. She seemed surprised that I was under the impression that I would know so early. She made it seem like the “deferral” is silent and you either come up or you don’t in the monthly meeting and if you don’t hear anything it probably just means they didn’t discuss you in detail. It makes me feel like stand-outs hear back quicker, but I don’t know. She also said updates and intent letters don’t help unless waitlisted. Please take this with a grain of salt as it is my interpretation of a brief conversation with someone previously involved in the process. Stay hopeful.

Reactions: 1 users
thanks for your input! Trying to stay hopeful... I don't know where I thought I read or heard that we'd definitely heard by end of October/early November regardless of acceptance, deferral, or rejection. The fact that so many people are in the same boat seems like a good sign but who knows...

Fingers crossed we hear soon.

At my interview day Dr. Bing-You said we'd hear by the third or fourth week of October. That's why I've been so anxious.

Anyways, thanks for the supportive words guys. I will try not to dwell on this too much more and keep busy with positive things.

Is the MMI people are referring to on this thread only for the Maine Track or also for the regular MD Program? It seems like the regular MD Program only has two traditional/one-on-one interviews, but can someone please clarify

Is the MMI people are referring to on this thread only for the Maine Track or also for the regular MD Program? It seems like the regular MD Program only has two traditional/one-on-one interviews, but can someone please clarify

For the Maine Track it was a hybridized MMI: several scenario stations mixed with two traditional interviews. For the regular MD program it is a traditional format.

I have interviewed for Maine Track before through a fast-track program and was told I would hear back in a week and it took a month. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet about not hearing back. I think Bing-You gets a little optimistic about the admissions process, so when he mentioned a month this time I automatically assumed it would be more than that.

should I consider myself out of the running if I completed July 19th and haven't heard back? :(

I think the general trend is that Tufts sends out pre-II rejections the first couple weeks of December, so that might be the case for this year, too. I had an II for Maine Track but silence from the regular track and I was completed on 7/5.

For those that interviewed on 10/30, did they say when we should expect to hear back? I'm guessing end of November

I interviewed 10/30 and don’t remember hearing that at all. I heard we could hear as early as this week
I'm pretty sure the lady that was moderating between sessions said that. But hey i wouldn't mind hearing back this week!:happy:

When I interviewed on 11/1, they said they would begin reviewing for this "batch" on 11/13 at 10am and that we might hear back as early as this week or before Thanksgiving

I interviewed for regular MD on 11/6 and they also said the week before or after Thanksgiving

When I interviewed on 11/1, they said they would begin reviewing for this "batch" on 11/13 at 10am and that we might hear back as early as this week or before Thanksgiving

Yeah I heard the same about a meeting 11/13 for our dates. The admissions lady said the dean is pretty good about calling within the next couple days so I would expect some people would hear back this Thursday.

When is the last time they were calling for acceptances? It seems like no calls have been made for over a week (unless everyone they are calling just so happens to not be on SDN)?

When is the last time they were calling for acceptances? It seems like no calls have been made for over a week (unless everyone they are calling just so happens to not be on SDN)?

Looks like the last time they did calls was Nov. 1st - two weeks ago

I think I had the same interviewer, lol . He was asking what ethicity my parents were, what they did when they arrived, etc. I didn't take any offense and just assumed it was designed to be a stressful interview. Got accepted but sitting on a full ride merit scholarship elsewhere so we will see what their financial aid package looks like in March.

Honest question and I mean no offense by it - it's really fantastic that you have a full ride merit scholarship - curious how that can be put into context with a LM of 67, right at the 50th percentile among matriculants according to SDN. You must have some pretty stellar ECs or research?

Last edited:
Honest question and I mean no offense by it - it's really fantastic that you have a full ride merit scholarship - curious how that can be put into context with a LM of 67, right around the median of matriculants according to SDN. You must have some pretty stellar ECs or research?
It’s a merit scholarship. Not an academic one. You don’t need to try to put it into context with an LM score, which is purely stats.

Honest question and I mean no offense by it - it's really fantastic that you have a full ride merit scholarship - curious how that can be put into context with a LM of 67, right around the median of matriculants according to SDN. You must have some pretty stellar ECs or research?
No offense taken, I was shocked by it myself and check my portal to make sure it's still there every day, lol. My LM includes a semester from ~10 years ago where I had to drop mid-semester and earned all F's. Other than that semester, I have pretty much had a 4.0. All 120 credits in my bachelors are A's. I have well over 10,000 hours of service which they value very highly and have worked in an industry for 10+ years in jobs with pretty significant responsibilities and leadership, which they value. In the call they cited these reasons and that my interviews went exceedingly well. So my LM is a little decieving in that, if you look at the last 10 years, it's a 4.0 but if not, it's ~ 3.4. I worked full time for nearly all my undergrad as well (I have a wife and kids). I have very little research, but was acting lab manager for my PI in undergrad as he was a recent hire and was getting his lab started.

Reactions: 13 users
No offense taken, I was shocked by it myself and check my portal to make sure it's still there every day, lol. My LM includes a semester from ~10 years ago where I had to drop mid-semester and earned all F's. Other than that semester, I have pretty much had a 4.0. All 120 credits in my bachelors are A's. I have well over 10,000 hours of service which they value very highly and have worked in an industry for 10+ years in jobs with pretty significant responsibilities and leadership, which they value. In the call they cited these reasons and that my interviews went exceedingly well. So my LM is a little decieving in that, if you look at the last 10 years, it's a 4.0 but if not, it's ~ 3.4. I worked full time for nearly all my undergrad as well (I have a wife and kids). I have very little research, but was acting lab manager for my PI in undergrad as he was a recent hire and was getting his lab started.

Thank you! That makes sense. Congratulations and good luck!