2018-2019 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if they have a DO letter requirement, on their site it says "preferably DO" but on the AACOMAS CIB it says requires DO.
I got a secondary and interview invite with a MD letter. I would go with the websites preferred DO statement

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Do they screen for secondaries or does everyone get one?
Their website says they screen but does not provide specific stats (i.e. GPA or MCAT scores):

"Prospective students who have their applications sent to KYCOM for consideration and meet the minimum requirements for admission will be emailed by the KYCOM Admissions Office, instructions on how to access an online KYCOM Secondary or Supplemental Application."

Reactions: 1 user
Their website says they screen but does not provide specific stats (i.e. GPA or MCAT scores):

"Prospective students who have their applications sent to KYCOM for consideration and meet the minimum requirements for admission will be emailed by the KYCOM Admissions Office, instructions on how to access an online KYCOM Secondary or Supplemental Application."

Thank you!! That’s good news then regardless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys congrats to those of you that interviewed, would you be able to describe how you thought the interview day went, what questions they asked, the length of the interview, and like a basic schedule of the day? Thanks in advance!

Hey guys congrats to those of you that interviewed, would you be able to describe how you thought the interview day went, what questions they asked, the length of the interview, and like a basic schedule of the day? Thanks in advance!

PM me

How long after submission of secondary did you guys hear something?

In their application complete email they stated this: "Please be aware that preference is given to applications from the Appalachian area." Does this mean that Appalachian students are given priority and reviewed before other applicants?

In their application complete email they stated this: "Please be aware that preference is given to applications from the Appalachian area." Does this mean that Appalachian students are given priority and reviewed before other applicants?

Nope! From keeping up with the thread, and my experience, kycom typically contacts within 7-10 days. That goes for interview offers after secondaries are submitted and for acceptances after interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
PM me when you get an invite and I’ll fill you in. There is a page on here that has stats on schools with most commonly asked questions etc. I found that helpful. We do not do MMIs and the interviews are extremely laid back. Just know your personal statement and essays very well. If you have anything unusual (like a trip or something) they like to talk about that as well. The goal of the interview is to see how well you would fit in with our personality. So biggest advice is be yourself and try to remain calm lol. No real questions I couldn’t answer or didn’t expect coming my way. It’s also nice that you usually hear back about acceptance in a week or 2 of interviewing. Hope that helps

I just had a question, I had filled my application out primary in July. But I received my secondary this week of September is that a good sign?

Really hoping that those of us that interviewed on 9/21 hear back this week! For those of you with interviews coming up, it was incredibly laid back.The faculty and students definitely gave it a family feel. As someone that was very much OOS I was really impressed with the town too!

Reactions: 4 users
I interviewed 9/21. I was curious if anyone thought it was weird we didn’t see the simulation equipment or patient scenario rooms or had any presentations from faculty.

I tried to call them many times today but noone picked up. Does anyone know what their business hours are?

I interviewed 9/21. I was curious if anyone thought it was weird we didn’t see the simulation equipment or patient scenario rooms or had any presentations from faculty.

Hi that’s really weird my tour was lead by student ambassadors and we saw all of their facilities! I was at a date a few weeks earlier though

Hi that’s really weird my tour was lead by student ambassadors and we saw all of their facilities! I was at a date a few weeks earlier though

We literally only saw the one classroom and the opp area. Did they show you the “patient” rooms and the simulation stuff? How were they?

We literally only saw the one classroom and the opp area. Did they show you the “patient” rooms and the simulation stuff? How were they?

I’ve interviewed at a couple of schools and their sim rooms are definitely equal to if not better than other schools I’ve seen. The rooms are placed in a seemingly real clinic so they’re kind of hidden (which might’ve been why you didn’t get to see them), but I actually liked the fact that the rooms were so close to real patients. I’m sorry you didn’t get to see all of the rooms that stinks, if my opinion means anything though I was very impressed by all of the facilities we toured and the school definitely won me over out of the four I’ve interviewed at!

Interviewed 9/21 and accepted!!!!!

Accepted from 9/21!

I saw the sim lab during my interview

I’ve interviewed at a couple of schools and their sim rooms are definitely equal to if not better than other schools I’ve seen. The rooms are placed in a seemingly real clinic so they’re kind of hidden (which might’ve been why you didn’t get to see them), but I actually liked the fact that the rooms were so close to real patients. I’m sorry you didn’t get to see all of the rooms that stinks, if my opinion means anything though I was very impressed by all of the facilities we toured and the school definitely won me over out of the four I’ve interviewed at!
Which four if you don’t mind me asking?

Did you interview at ACOM?

accepted! 9/21 interviewer.

anyone for sure going?

interviewed 9/21. just got the call! (missed the first one)

After submitting your secondary how long does it usually take to hear back about an interview?

How many interview dates were you guys able to choose from? I only see one availability :/

Sent my secondary on September 11 and have not heard anything. Does KYCOM usually let you know either way or silent rejection?

Reactions: 2 users
submitted my secondary application late July. Still haven't heard back..I tried calling a couple time..is it silent rejection or should I still be hopeful?

Stats are above average for acceptance. Currently in grad school and from CA. :)

Has anyone who received that late batch of secondary applications (from the glitch in the system it seems like) heard about an interview yet?

For people who got the secondary earlier in the cycle, did you get a complete email? and how long did it take?