2018-2019 University of Texas - Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone seen any WL movement here? Seems kind of dead so far this year

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
So I am currently a senior at UT and we have to write theses for a program I am in. I just found out that they "publish" them in the UT library in the Texas ScholarWorks area in May when they are due. Does this count as an actual publication that I could email McGovern an update about? I also got into Phi Beta Kappa at my school and I was wondering if this was important enough to include in an update email... idk if it would help me on the waitlist, or if it is not worth an email? Getting nervous as we get closer to the May 15th date :(

back when I spoke to admissions in March, they said that if I have any updates to go ahead and send them in. But then she followed that with saying "however, keep in mind that it won't change your position on the waitlist". CONGRATS ON GETTING PHI BETA KAPPA!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
back when I spoke to admissions in March, they said that if I have any updates to go ahead and send them in. But then she followed that with saying "however, keep in mind that it won't change your position on the waitlist". CONGRATS ON GETTING PHI BETA KAPPA!
you are an angel :angelic: thank you for the info!!

Good Luck to yall. Withdrew IS today. Hopefully, WL movement starts soon!

Reactions: 9 users
does UT houston inform applicants if they are waitlisted? I interviewed there at Dec but never heard back since then; tried to write /call /update, but the adcom was never responsive to my messages; I feel that my acceptance chance is probably very slim if they are not responding at all.
I know there're interviewees who were rejected already, but what does silence mean?.........

does UT houston inform applicants if they are waitlisted? I interviewed there at Dec but never heard back since then; tried to write /call /update, but the adcom was never responsive to my messages; I feel that my acceptance chance is probably very slim if they are not responding at all.
I know there're interviewees who were rejected already, but what does silence mean?.........

Where have you heard that there are interviewees who were rejected already? I was under the impression that UT Houston waitlisted all their interviewees except if you are OOS? Are you OOS?

From post history seems that you are MSTP -- they have a different process, I would trust @Fencer 's advice on anything MD PhD related. I've lurked the Physician Scientist forum some and it seems like there are a lot of acceptances yet to go out! Don't lose hope :)

Reactions: 1 users
Where have you heard that there are interviewees who were rejected already? I was under the impression that UT Houston waitlisted all their interviewees except if you are OOS? Are you OOS?
Sorry for the confusion; some of the MSTP interviewees already received rejection, and I'm OOS.

Waitlist movement is happening.

Reactions: 4 users

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, pal! Hope they get to some bad stat non-trads soon :xf:
Absolutely! There is bound to be more movement soon, so don't lose hope. These are just two individuals I knew at my school personally.

Absolutely! There is bound to be more movement soon, so don't lose hope. These are just two individuals I knew at my school personally.

Yup! from the facebook group seems 6 people were all added 25 minutes ago at the same time! Good luck to everyone!!

Both were traditional IS applicants with good stats (515+ MCAT and 3.8+ GPA).
Kind of crazy that those people were waitlisted...... I’m a trad with lower stats so doubt they’ll call me up lol

Kind of crazy that those people were waitlisted...... I’m a trad with lower stats so doubt they’ll call me up lol
If it's any consolation, my stats we're not what some would consider "amazing", but I was accepted here.

Reactions: 2 users
They were also later applicants (august).

Hang in there! It's just the beginning of the waitlist movement and it's not all about stats. Fingers crossed for ya!

Reactions: 8 users
nope, but I'm FEELING like this is the week guys where we see some major movements! *sending good vibes to everyone*

Reactions: 6 users
Hi all! Wishing you all the best of luck & hoping for wait-list movement on your behalf! See y'all in July!

Reactions: 6 users
Update: Looks like a few more people were added yesterday evening to the facebook group

Update: Looks like a few more people were added yesterday evening to the facebook group

Yup! from the facebook group seems 6 people were all added 25 minutes ago at the same time! Good luck to everyone!!

There hasn't been anyone added to the facebook group as of last Friday the 3rd. Thought you might want to know

You guys are talking like only newly accepted people add themselves to the FB group and all accepted people add themselves to the group, neither of which is true. Example - I added myself last year before acceptance. It's probably just as often hopefuls as it is actually accepted people.

You guys are talking like only newly accepted people add themselves to the FB group and all accepted people add themselves to the group, neither of which is true. Example - I added myself last year before acceptance. It's probably just as often hopefuls as it is actually accepted people.
Good point, there are currently like 400 members in the Facebook group

their fb class size just went up a couple more people today. has anyone heard of any offers going out today?

their fb class size just went up a couple more people today. has anyone heard of any offers going out today?
at least 2 are current students -- don't fret there's still time, offers are gonna keep trickling in

Maybe McGovern is waiting until the 15th to send batches out so that us peeps with no As can get in somewhere, wishful thinking

Hope McGovern gives out those waitlist spots to ppl w/ no A’s yet tomorrow! Y’all deserve some good summer news :)

Does anyone know if anyone has anyone gotten off the waitlist after the May 15th deadline, or if there will be any movement soon?

Does anyone know if anyone has anyone gotten off the waitlist after the May 15th deadline, or if there will be any movement soon?
I would guess there’s been some offers to non sdners with the lack of movement reported on these boards

Last edited:
Do you guys think McGovern would be opposed to a follow-up call just to kind of see how things are going?

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when the school stops sending scholarship information?

Has anyone heard any updates or any movement? Has anyone called to ask about waitlist movement?

I communicated with them and they confirmed that there was post may 15th movement. I think this year there hasn't been much people who were accepted who also go on sdn perhaps? Because I have checked up with mcgovern throughout these months and there has definitely been movement even though it hasn't been posted specifically in this thread.

still keeping the hope alive but have already retaken my mcat about a month ago and am soon to submit all my material for the next round.

I communicated with them and they confirmed that there was post may 15th movement. I think this year there hasn't been much people who were accepted who also go on sdn perhaps? Because I have checked up with mcgovern throughout these months and there has definitely been movement even though it hasn't been posted specifically in this thread.

still keeping the hope alive but have already retaken my mcat about a month ago and am soon to submit all my material for the next round.
I agree @Ms.WorryWart, the active SDN participants are fewer this year.

I call yesterday and they said that there will be "small" movement on the waitlist in June and the class will be finalized sometime in July.

So I am applying for EY2020, and i submitted my primary 5/29(transmitted 5/31) but still have not received a secondary link. People who have submitted after me have. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I contact them to see if there is an issue?

So I am applying for EY2020, and i submitted my primary 5/29(transmitted 5/31) but still have not received a secondary link. People who have submitted after me have. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I contact them to see if there is an issue?
@Spybil here's the 2019-2020 McGovern thread - 2019-2020 University of Texas - Houston
Give it another week before enquiring. In the meantime the prompts are listed in that thread so you can begin composing your answers.