2018-2019 University of Texas - Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another question about living arrangements, do most students live in apartment complexes in the medical center? I am looking at places in surrounding areas like montrose, upper kirby, etc and was wondering how bad the commute would be. Also, how much is a parking tag if I were to commute.

Members don't see this ad.

Another question about living arrangements, do most students live in apartment complexes in the medical center? I am looking at places in surrounding areas like montrose, upper kirby, etc and was wondering how bad the commute would be. Also, how much is a parking tag if I were to commute.

Not a current student so anyone feel free to chime in here but as a Houston native and fresh off my second look tour here's what I would say: the commute would not be fun but is likely pretty manageable. As others have said on this thread and just from what I've heard, there are people who manage to make it work commuting from suburbs (mostly Pearland) and the student who gave my second look tour came in from Missouri City (would not recommend lol). I would imagine in med center/rush hour traffic you'd be looking at a 30-40 minute drive from those areas. With no traffic more like 15-20 minutes.

Also on my tour, the students said a med center parking pass is insanely expensive. Don't remember the price off the top of my head but in the hundreds per month. They said that a lot of people who aren't living in student housing will still drive in and park there and then take the shuttle to campus, and there are evening/weekend parking passes that are substantially cheaper so a lot of people opt for that.

Search for apartment and condos in”condo land” or “med center” neighborhoods. The tram goes there and you can ride to class or hospitals daily, no hassle with parking.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

A lot of students live close to UT housing so that they can walk to housing and catch the shuttle (Scotland Yard, Daphne Apartments, Cambridge court condos), or they live on the rail (look at Greenbriar, Lanesborough, the Valencia, IMT at the Medical Center, which are very close to the rail). I will note that the apartment complexes directly surrounding UT Housing tend to be less safe. Portico Kirby and 7500 Kirby have a shuttle you can pay to take.

Some drive and park in the lot across from the shuttle stop ($50 per semester I believe) and take the shuttle, some drive and park at the lot across from the Valencia/Lanesborough and catch the rail into the TMC (most of my friends who lived in lower and upper kirby and Rice Village did this option). A few students lived in Midtown and took the rail in.

Very very few people pay to park at school every day, as it is insanely expensive. There is a garage you can park at for $100 per month attached to the hospital, but those passes are reserved for clinical students having to get to the hospital really early. If you go to welcome weekend, you should be taken on an apartment tour and given a handout on local apartment complexes.

Reactions: 1 users

I agree with wysdoc. If you're not in condo land, then you're probably looking at a 45min-hour commute. That being said, there are a few married folks like myself that live in Pearland or nearby, but I recommend not doing that to yourself if you're single.

This might have been asked already but does anyone know if McGov is receptive to update letters/where would those letters be sent?

Is McGovern more likely to math instead of prematching? I'm OOS but I wanna know if there's any hope in my hearing back from McGovern February 1st.

Is McGovern more likely to math instead of prematching? I'm OOS but I wanna know if there's any hope in my hearing back from McGovern February 1st.
I think you are more likely to hear back after Feb 1 (lots of hoopla over Texas resident Match Day will die down in a couple of weeks). Hang in there!

What are the odds of matching post interview for in state? I interviewed in sept. and am getting anxious as match day comes close!

Does anyone know what the match day screen looks like? If you get accepted what does it say, and if you are waitlisted is the screen just blank when you click on "school rank preference"?

Thanks!

Does anyone know what the match day screen looks like? If you get accepted what does it say and it you are waitlisted is it just blank?

Thanks!
It will say either "you matched to school X" or "no match". Invitations to be on a WL may come later (fairly soon) by email from individual schools. There is getting "on" a WL which will hopefully lead to getting an offer "from" the WL (or getting "off" that WL).

This might have been asked already but does anyone know if McGov is receptive to update letters/where would those letters be sent?
I called about this a few weeks ago. They said you can send them but they have no baring on your application. So, completely up to you. They made it seem that after interview they provide a score to a candidate and that doesn’t really change.

Members don't see this ad :)

It is probably too late at this point, at least in regard to Match decisions.

I interviewed in January, and they were telling us to submit update letters ASAP because they were going to review all applicants for Match day shortly. I heard from another interviewer a couple days afterward that they told everyone they were reviewing applications with updates on the 15th of January, and the perception was that any updates afterward were probably not going to be used in the Match decision.

-----------------

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

Anyone else moving from Dallas? It feels weird as a born and raised Dallas-ite to be relocating to Houston but I’m really excited! Y’all actually got trees down there lol

Anyone else moving from Dallas? It feels weird as a born and raised Dallas-ite to be relocating to Houston but I’m really excited! Y’all actually got trees down there lol

I am as well! Super pumped to move down there, it'll be a nice change of scenery and the fact that their grass/trees are actually alive certainly doesn't hurt either lol

Congratulations to those of you who matched!! Did anyone without a prematch to McGovern match here? I haven't seen anyone who has on sdn or reddit so I was just wondering...

Congratulations to those of you who matched!! Did anyone without a prematch to McGovern match here? I haven't seen anyone who has on sdn or reddit so I was just wondering...

Am also curious about this as I’ve noticed the same. Bummed I didn’t match here :/ hopefully the waitlist moves a lot this year

Am also curious about this as I’ve noticed the same. Bummed I didn’t match here :/ hopefully the waitlist moves a lot this year

I matched today with 0 prematches!

I matched to Long and prematched at UTMB! McGovern was my first choice :( Do you automatically get put on the waitlist? And when does waitlist movement typically begin?

I matched to Long and prematched at UTMB! McGovern was my first choice :( Do you automatically get put on the waitlist? And when does waitlist movement typically begin?
Everyone who interviewed at McGovern is automatically on the waitlist. There is quite a bit of movement and it starts pretty soon after match. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Everyone who interviewed at McGovern is automatically on the waitlist. There is quite a bit of movement and it starts pretty soon after match. Good luck!
How soon does the waitlist movement start? And is McGovern receptive to loi or nah

Officially got the email for waitlist. It also mentioned that LOI won't affect their decisions

Just got an email about being on their waitlist!

got the waitlist, do they send to everyone or just a few?

Haven't heard back from them yet, you?
Nope, I called few days ago, they told me they will send out decision letter via email today (whether we are accepted/waitlisted/rejected)... but I haven’t heard anything yet...:(:(:(

Nope, I called few days ago, they told me they will send out decision letter via email today (whether we are accepted/waitlisted/rejected)... but I haven’t heard anything yet...:(:(:(
Really?? It's end of day in Houston, so that's strange. Maybe they made decisions today but haven't sent them out yet?

This may be crazy but I’m such a planner. When should they release when school starts/orientation/white coat ceremony?

Congrats on matching for those who did yesterday.

Remember many people here end up getting accepted to another school and take that offer, which opens up spots. Sometimes even great applicants don't get the call till much later in the season for instance @Binary010 who is really smart and really hard working got his acceptance only a little bit before the year started (I can only assume the admissions committee thought joining the Air Force instead of the Army was a lapse in judgement and wanted to make him sweat).

That being said, many people ask about what to do to prepare. Should I study ahead? Should I just party like its 1999? Should I reevaluate my life choices and become a Cat Behavior Consultant instead of a Doctor?

There is no correct answer, but... depending on how much time you have, doing a little prep might be worth it.

I had a TON of free time in the 6 months leading up to the start of school....but I had no idea what to study, what we would cover, what should I brush up on? It would have been huge a waste of time. Like anatomy, what even gets tested?

I have a few resources that can help you prepare specifically with our curriculum, that if you learn now will save you time and make the first block a bit less stressful. Even 15-30 minutes a day would have helped me *IF* I would have known.

It is by no means necessary. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box and did fine first semester, but I would have loved to been able to prep a bit to lighten the load since I had tons of time.

If you want, send me a message, I'll try to respond soon.

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats on matching for those who did yesterday.

Remember many people here end up getting accepted to another school and take that offer, which opens up spots. Sometimes even great applicants don't get the call till much later in the season for instance @Binary010 who is really smart and really hard working got his acceptance only a little bit before the year started (I can only assume the admissions committee thought joining the Air Force instead of the Army was a lapse in judgement and wanted to make him sweat).

That being said, many people ask about what to do to prepare. Should I study ahead? Should I just party like its 1999? Should I reevaluate my life choices and become a Cat Behavior Consultant instead of a Doctor?

There is no correct answer, but... depending on how much time you have, doing a little prep might be worth it.

I had a TON of free time in the 6 months leading up to the start of school....but I had no idea what to study, what we would cover, what should I brush up on? It would have been huge a waste of time. Like anatomy, what even gets tested?

I have a few resources that can help you prepare specifically with our curriculum, that if you learn now will save you time and make the first block a bit less stressful. Even 15-30 minutes a day would have helped me *IF* I would have known.

It is by no means necessary. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box and did fine first semester, but I would have loved to been able to prep a bit to lighten the load since I had tons of time.

If you want, send me a message, I'll try to respond soon.
Har har. Army over here is just jealous we have the A-10.
chuck-norris-wasin-the-air-force-your-branchis-invalid-uickmerne-19293702.png

But seriously, hang in there guys. I had like a month once I found out I got accepted, but I was also one of the last 2-3 people accepted, if not the last. The problem isn't that you all aren't good enough, it's that there are lots of really qualified applicants. So if you didn't get in, take a chill pill, keep yourself busy with preparations or your other options, or make yourself more competitive for next year. You might even consider getting off of SDN for a month or two...it only makes things more stressful at this point. Let us know if you have any questions. Good luck!

What is the number of people who were accepted off the waitlist last year according to MSAR?

What is the number of people who were accepted off the waitlist last year according to MSAR?
It says:

Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle
Varies

Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist
Not Provided

So not super helpful...

Reactions: 2 users

Would you mind PM-ing me? I can't PM you, but I have a question for ya. Hope you get in soon though. Thanks!

Has anyone that sent LOI received an email from the admission people?

In case anyone else had the same paranoia I did..

According to the admissions office, if you matched to McGovern while also holding a pre-match offer, you won't receive any kind of e-mail from them regarding your official acceptance. Just be sure you're keeping up with the new student checklist, and any further updates will be provided via e-mail.

Last edited:
In case anyone else had the same paranoia I did..

According to the admissions office, if you matched to McGovern while also holding a pre-match, you won't receive any kind of e-mail from McGovern regarding your official acceptance. Just be sure you're keeping up with the new student checklist, and any further updates will be provided via e-mail.
Thanks for sharing that. Knowing the need for reassurance of all of you who have made it this far through the application process, it would be nice to also get a short email of congratulations from them too!