2018-2019 University of Texas - Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry all, but with the heavy neuroticism a brewing so early on, I had to:
DistortedThoughtfulCats-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry guys, I had the idea it was GPA/MCAT based since that is what was told to everyone at the reapp workshop last month. Looks like I'm wrong since people from random days are getting the secondary. Someone should call and ask them whats going on lol
I think you're right, Akela98. After all, they can't really be stratifying apps by grades and scores without actually reading them. People may assume that the apps are read in chronological order of when they hit the office, but they may be distributed to readers in various ways and so the timing of being evaluated will vary. Your app may be on someone's desk waiting to be read, or still in the printer. Not all schools do it the same, either.
This application process is long, guys, don't get worried or impatient when your application has only been turned in a week ago :cool:

Reporting in, just got a secondary invite

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary Invite this morning as well. As nontrad said above, can’t submit till 6/11.

Primary: 5/18
Transmitted: 5/24

Missing LOR.

Sounds like there was no screen after all, just hadnt gotten to alot of us earlier applicants yet

Secondary invite 6/4
TMDSAS transmitted 5/15

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see no mention on UTH's site of them screening for secondaries like RGV and Dell. They send the secondary after they receive the complete TMDSAS application.

Last edited:
Has anyone else tried submitting the secondary yet? Mine is still saying I can't pay until today. Haha I'm over here like just take my money already!

Another check+ for McGovern for all future applicants.

For the Class of 2022, the McGovern Alumni Association started a fundraiser to pay for the Class of 2022's white coats. The generous McGovern community surpassed the original funding goal and now all white coats for the Class of 2022 are paid for with more than enough left over to help fund white coats for future classes. I anticipate that the fundraiser will become an annual thing.

This is why McGovern is such a special medical school because of the generosity and support for incoming classes from of its alumni, community, faculty, staff, current students, etc!!!

Keep us in mind during rankings!!

Reactions: 4 users
It just changed from saying available the 11th to that they will email you when it is available. They might be having issues setting up their payment system since this is the first year.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It just changed from saying available the 11th to that they will email you when it is available. They might be having issues setting up their payment system since this is the first year.
Yup still can't submit

MS3 here (i.e. first class to finish the new preclinical curriculum), can't believe it's been so long since being in your shoes! PM me if you have any questions about the school, I'm happy to help!

Can't submit UTH's secondary yet, even though I'm done but we can't pay. Can't submit UTRGV's secondary yet, because I need to work on the video. My icon sums up my feelings about this right now haha.

Are all of your supporting docs in? I am wondering if that is why I have not heard from them yet since my letters have not been submitted.
I got a secondary invite last week on the first day and my committee packet still had not been submitted at that point. Everything else was though

LizzyM 72 in state ORM female non-traditional

Feeling lucky AF from a successful night at the blackjack tables, so I’ll go out on a limb and bet tomorrow is the day we get the email to submit.

The portal gives me the option to pay now but the message about not being able to pay is still on the page... it looks like it may have been changed a bit.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-19_10-51-29.png
    upload_2018-6-19_10-51-29.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
The portal gives me the option to pay now but the message about not being able to pay is still on the page... it looks like it may have been changed a bit.
View attachment 235832

Well... my payment went through and I submitted and got a receipt? At least I can stop neurotically checking the secondary application page now.

Well... my payment went through and I submitted and got a receipt? At least I can stop neurotically checking the secondary application page now.
lol, I feel like I should wait until they send the email.
Peak neuroticism, I feel it.

They sent the email and secondary apps can now be submitted.

MS3 here (i.e. first class to finish the new preclinical curriculum), can't believe it's been so long since being in your shoes! PM me if you have any questions about the school, I'm happy to help!
im having so much trouble trying to answer "What would you like to contribute and be remembered for in medicine?" what types of things would you recommend discussing?

im having so much trouble trying to answer "What would you like to contribute and be remembered for in medicine?" what types of things would you recommend discussing?
Another way I looked at it was if your best friend could describe you with a few adjectives what would they be? Are you empathetic, Fun-loving, etc. Your activities and experiences should match which ever adjective you choose. I don’t think the prompt necessarily limits your contribution as a physical thing, it can be a trait you possess or an experience that shaped you as a person (you may have already covered that in one of the other prompts). Then tie it into how you envision it being of benefit to you, your patients, colleagues and community when you get to practice.

Does anyone know when they start sending interview invitations?

Anyone OOS applying MD/PhD receive a secondary yet? Actually for MD/PhD OOS to any of the Texas schools? Verified 6/18

II today as well!
Kinda neurotic question, but does the interview date matter? Like, is there a disadvantage/advantage to going later or earlier in the cycle (for example, the first day of interviews)? Also, do we get judged for not going to the social event?

Reactions: 5 users
Omg that so exciting!! Good luck guys! I spent the summer in this school and its amazing. Faculty and students are so helpful!

Congrats to those that got interviews! Just curious when did y'all submit your secondary?

II today as well! Submitted secondary around mid-June

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
II today as well!
Kinda neurotic question, but does the interview date matter? Like, is there a disadvantage/advantage to going later or earlier in the cycle (for example, the first day of interviews)? Also, do we get judged for not going to the social event?
I doubt there's a material difference early on. I think it mainly starts to matter if your interview is in August vs. like November. Also, I've heard it's not a big deal if you can't go to the socials. It is just nice to talk to students and learn more about the school the night before.