2019-2020 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today!! complete in late september and was put on hold some time after that. i sent an update about 2 weeks ago. wasn't going to because i heard this place was low-yield.. so glad i went for it anyways :)
Omg that's amazing! Around what time did you get the email?

Members don't see this ad.

II today!! complete in late september and was put on hold some time after that. i sent an update about 2 weeks ago. wasn't going to because i heard this place was low-yield.. so glad i went for it anyways :)
Congrats!!! What dates were available for interviews?

Was the update containing more hours/grades or something more substantial/notable?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else been on hold since September with no movement? (complete early August)

Reactions: 5 users
Feeding into my own neuroticism here lol, but for anyone who’s interviewed - I just noticed that the portal used to say that a decision can take up to 8 weeks but now it just says that they will contact me once a decision is made. I assume it doesn’t really mean anything?

Feeding into my own neuroticism here lol, but for anyone who’s interviewed - I just noticed that the portal used to say that a decision can take up to 8 weeks but now it just says that they will contact me once a decision is made. I assume it doesn’t really mean anything?
i saw that too! I just remember right after my interview (12/13) it says something like 8 weeks, a few weeks ago it changed to this. I feel like the general message delivered has remained the same...but still it gets on my nerves

Reactions: 1 user
My portal did that too shortly after I interviewed (12/12). Probably doesn’t mean anything since the gist of the message is the same! Just more unsure of the timeline tho.

Reactions: 1 users
i saw that too! I just remember right after my interview (12/13) it says something like 8 weeks, a few weeks ago it changed to this. I feel like the general message delivered has remained the same...but still it gets on my nerves
My portal did that too shortly after I interviewed (12/12). Probably doesn’t mean anything since the gist of the message is the same! Just more unsure of the timeline tho.

for sure for sure! I was hoping maybe they’d get back to us sooner after changing but it’s chill. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!! Interviewed 12/13. Email came like 40 min ago

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Omg that's amazing! Around what time did you get the email?
i got it a little bit after noon!

Congrats!!! What dates were available for interviews?

thanks! they actually only offered me 1 date in late February. maybe someone had canceled?

Was the update containing more hours/grades or something more substantial/notable?

it was hours and what i'm up to during my gap year :)

Can any current students speak to where a lot of people live and roughly how much it costs? The cost of attendance chart has $1.390 built in for rent and utilities but looking at rentals around the campus it seems like getting a studio or splitting a 2B/2BR would run around $1600-1700 a month and the cost of attendance is only calculated for 10 months of living and I would figure most places have 12 month leases

uhhh so exactly how many weeks was it when your status changed?

:rofl:Jk jk don’t actually answer that I just thought it was funny:troll: congrats tho!!:claps:
Hahahaha I first noticed it around 2 weeks ago I think? But maybe it changed earlier than that. My suspect is when they start reviewing your file, the status will change to that message instead of the 8 week thing? But honestly don’t trust me on that because I really don’t know...

Someone in the previous year thread also noticed that and he said the change happened like pretty soon after his interview. So maybe it literally means nothing. When did you interview there?

Can any current students speak to where a lot of people live and roughly how much it costs? The cost of attendance chart has $1.390 built in for rent and utilities but looking at rentals around the campus it seems like getting a studio or splitting a 2B/2BR would run around $1600-1700 a month and the cost of attendance is only calculated for 10 months of living and I would figure most places have 12 month leases
Not a current student but am from the DC area and I have a few friends at the med school. Rent for a studio in foggy bottom is usually ~1600-1700 a month but the number they probably gave you is because they averaged it with some students who live out in rosslyn/courthouse (arlington) which is a lot cheaper. Only con is that you'd have to take the metro to foggy bottom which is ~15 minutes if the metro is running on time (but you can't always count on that)

Seconded with my rental searches. 1600-1700 is closer to what most studio/shared living situations in foggy bottom seem to be. That being said I'd say the majority of rentals include at least some utilities in the rent price. As kn95 said, the cost of living is an average so the students who live outside of dc are probably lowering the expected rent. From talking to current/recently graduated students it seems that most people recommend trying to stay near campus rather than relying on the metro.

Keep in mind that Amazon will be moving into Nova. So over time, even the places where students live in Nova will increase in price.

Interviewed 12/5, alternate pool today

Hahahaha I first noticed it around 2 weeks ago I think? But maybe it changed earlier than that. My suspect is when they start reviewing your file, the status will change to that message instead of the 8 week thing? But honestly don’t trust me on that because I really don’t know...

Someone in the previous year thread also noticed that and he said the change happened like pretty soon after his interview. So maybe it literally means nothing. When did you interview there?

I interviewed 1/16 so I assume I still got a long way to wait haha

Anyone interviewed 12/12 hear back yet? Seeing a few 12/13s but no 12/12s

I interviewed 12/12 and haven’t heard back either!

So more alternate list information is supposed to be released sometime soon right?

Alt list today, interviewed Dec 13th

• Sad
is there an accepted students facebook page yet?
I am wondering the same thing! Some of my friends with acceptances at other schools already have Fb groups and they are planning out where they will stay next school year. I hope that GW makes the group soon!

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I am wondering if anyone has any information about scholarships that I can apply to (both from GW and from other sources) for Canadian citizens. I think most scholarships are restricted to US citizens, but I am hoping that there may be some for international students as well.

Are they still sending any more interviews to people who were put On Hold?

My app just went on re-review yesterday after being on hold for several months. Not sure if it’ll turn into an II but at least they’re looking at on-hold people!!

My app just went on re-review yesterday after being on hold for several months. Not sure if it’ll turn into an II but at least they’re looking at on-hold people!!
what does the message on your front page say now? is there a different message from the hold message?

what does the message on your front page say now? is there a different message from the hold message?

Yes, it went from that long statement that said “To date, no final decision has been made....” to “Your file is under review.”

I did the early assurance program back in Sophomore Year (17-18 academic year). Just got my official acceptance last week. Currently filling out the Financial Aid forms. Anyone attending the second look day willing to grab coffee?

I just received the email about the second look event for accepted students. What are folks' opinions about going to it? Current GW students, would you recommend attending to it? Also, any idea what time it started and ended in the previous years?
I think It's an all day kind of thing.

Does GW accept post-II updates? I interviewed 12/17 and haven't heard back yet but I recently have an accepted manuscript at a pretty good journal. Not sure if it would be beneficial to update them now or just wait for my decision?

Does GW accept post-II updates? I interviewed 12/17 and haven't heard back yet but I recently have an accepted manuscript at a pretty good journal. Not sure if it would be beneficial to update them now or just wait for my decision?

Yes! They even say in their website in the after-interview FAQ that they encourage you to send them updates. You could also wait until the decision, up to you.

Congrats on your manuscript!!!!

Yes! They even say in their website in the after-interview FAQ that they encourage you to send them updates. You could also wait until the decision, up to you.

Congrats on your manuscript!!!!
Thank you so much! Just updated them.

• Love
I think It's an all day kind of thing.
Hi, current MS1 here! I would recommend going to Second Look Day if you’re able. It’s a great opportunity to learn more about GW, meet current students, connect with potential future classmates, learn about student organizations, and just generally explore if GW is the right place for you. The event starts in the morning, I believe around 8:30 and ends in the evening after a reception. It’s a full day event, but you have some breaks throughout the day to explore on your own some if you want to! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Accepted students: did you send a letter of continued interest or intent after you interviewed? If so, when? (Just wondering if this is something I should consider doing)

Accepted students: did you send a letter of continued interest or intent after you interviewed? If so, when? (Just wondering if this is something I should consider doing)
I was pulled aside at the end of the interview and directly asked if I could see myself at GWU, which I answered yes. The person running the day then told me that I should send in a letter of interest. I sent that letter in three days later breaking down things I learned on interview day and what I liked about it. I was accepted a few weeks later.

I think with the interview pool being quite large (1100+) it would be smart to send a Letter of interest if it’s a top tier choice for you.

I did send an update that included a paragraph on my interest in GW

I was pulled aside at the end of the interview and directly asked if I could see myself at GWU, which I answered yes. The person running the day then told me that I should send in a letter of interest. I sent that letter in three days later breaking down things I learned on interview day and what I liked about it. I was accepted a few weeks later.

I think with the interview pool being quite large (1100+) it would be smart to send a Letter of interest if it’s a top tier choice for you.
thank you so much, that's super helpful! I'll send one in ASAP. It's been almost a month so hopefully that's not too late

Just got an II for next Thursday 2/13! (I live in DC)

Congrats on the interview! That’s awesome!! I was wondering if you were on hold first and if so, did you notice if/how long you went on re-review? I’m on re-review now and hoping I can follow in your footsteps and snag the II