2019-2020 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also just got an II!
Complete 7/30 and been on hold forever
Date was 2/25 but I emailed them to reschedule and seems like they have other dates open.
OOS ORM 72

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on the interview! That’s awesome!! I was wondering if you were on hold first and if so, did you notice if/how long you went on re-review? I’m on re-review now and hoping I can follow in your footsteps and snag the II

Nvm! Got the II as well!

Reactions: 4 users
did anyone interview on 12/19 I have a specific question about one of our presenters from that day??

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone please tell me what dates are available for interviews?
no one can tell you what dates are available because in the invitation email they assign you to a specific date, its not calendar style like other schools. But my date was end of feb so they are at least until then. they also said to email if the assigned date doesn't work so it seems that they have later dates to reschedule to so I would guess interviews go to early/mid march atleast

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on the interview! That’s awesome!! I was wondering if you were on hold first and if so, did you notice if/how long you went on re-review? I’m on re-review now and hoping I can follow in your footsteps and snag the II

I submitted 7/28 and was put on re-review the first week of September and then again in November. Sent an Update letter on December 10th!

Does anyone have the MSAR data for GWU? I've heard they interview a ton but I am wondering what their conversion rates are for Applications>Interviews>Acceptances>Matriculants

Does anyone have the MSAR data for GWU? I've heard they interview a ton but I am wondering what their conversion rates are for Applications>Interviews>Acceptances>Matriculants

I don’t have it but it’s been posted a bunch if you scroll back.

I think it’s like 12,000+ > 1000 > 350 > 160

Don’t quote me these are just numbers off the top of my head.

edit: also if you search up limeyguydr this person compiled a super helpful list of stuff. This person’s Username howerever changed to spreadsheetking or something like that I forget what it is now tho lol

Last edited:
I was pulled aside at the end of the interview and directly asked if I could see myself at GWU, which I answered yes. The person running the day then told me that I should send in a letter of interest. I sent that letter in three days later breaking down things I learned on interview day and what I liked about it. I was accepted a few weeks later.

I think with the interview pool being quite large (1100+) it would be smart to send a Letter of interest if it’s a top tier choice for you.

stats?

Just got a last minute II for next Tuesday!!! Going to be an expensive trip but totally worth it :)

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't heard back from GW since submitting my secondary on 8/22. Is there still a chance that I might get an interview? When do they interview until? Do they do silent rejections?

Thanks!

Haven't heard back from GW since submitting my secondary on 8/22. Is there still a chance that I might get an interview? When do they interview until? Do they do silent rejections?

Thanks!

Ive heard II are done as late as the summer.

No.

Reactions: 1 user
alternate students: did you receive an email asking you to update the portal if you are still interested in staying on the alternate list? it said to include a statement of interest...I wrote like 2 seconds and then realized- damn, was that supposed to be a legit LOI? oop

Reactions: 5 users
alternate students: did you receive an email asking you to update the portal if you are still interested in staying on the alternate list? it said to include a statement of interest...I wrote like 2 seconds and then realized- damn, was that supposed to be a legit LOI? oop

I got that too! Surprised that no one else is talking about it. I'm also confused if it is supposed to be a legit LOI

Yes, I did! I didn't write my statement of interest yet and was thinking it should only be like a mini letter of interest but I was going to ask y'all what your thoughts were on this so i don't mess it up lol

Yes, I did! I didn't write my statement of interest yet and was thinking it should only be like a mini letter of interest but I was going to ask y'all what your thoughts were on this so i don't mess it up lol
idk what planet I was on but I just submitted a couple sentences without thinking!! I'm sick and have bad brain fog lol. I hope that's fine. I'm sure they don't need a 1 page essay on why their school at this point lol. clearly im desperate and very interested!!!!!

I already submitted a letter of interest to this school. Should I write another letter of interest which is different or should I call the admissions staff to ask about it? I don't want to repeat myself. Any help is appreciated!

I already submitted a letter of interest to this school. Should I write another letter of interest which is different or should I call the admissions staff to ask about it? I don't want to repeat myself. Any help is appreciated!
I’d just briefly reiterate your interest, since you already submitted an official one. But you can also ask just in case!

idk what planet I was on but I just submitted a couple sentences without thinking!! I'm sick and have bad brain fog lol. I hope that's fine. I'm sure they don't need a 1 page essay on why their school at this point lol. clearly im desperate and very interested!!!!!

Honestly, if this is one of your top choices, I would amend it and write a longer LOI. Reason being- they take a lot of students off the waitlist and they will look at these letters as an indicator of your interest. If I were an Ad Com, I would want students who clearly want to come here and part of that feeling (fair or not), would be based on your letter.

You also want to feel like you gave it your best shot and have no regrets. That way, if you don't get an offer, there isn't a "what if" moment.

No harm in calling their office first.

I haven't written my statement yet but I'm planning on doing a full Letter of intent.

Accepted students: did you send a letter of continued interest or intent after you interviewed? If so, when? (Just wondering if this is something I should consider doing)
I did not but I've heard that they are receptive to them

Hi, current MS1 here! I would recommend going to Second Look Day if you’re able. It’s a great opportunity to learn more about GW, meet current students, connect with potential future classmates, learn about student organizations, and just generally explore if GW is the right place for you. The event starts in the morning, I believe around 8:30 and ends in the evening after a reception. It’s a full day event, but you have some breaks throughout the day to explore on your own some if you want to! Let me know if you have any other questions!
If you already know that you are 100% going then is it still necessary to attend 2nd look day? Attending would mean I have to miss my most important class for the semester (including the lab for said class) so I'm a little hesitant to attend. Out of the people in your class, what % would you say went to 2nd look day?

Honestly, if this is one of your top choices, I would amend it and write a longer LOI. Reason being- they take a lot of students off the waitlist and they will look at these letters as an indicator of your interest. If I were an Ad Com, I would want students who clearly want to come here and part of that feeling (fair or not), would be based on your letter.

You also want to feel like you gave it your best shot and have no regrets. That way, if you don't get an offer, there isn't a "what if" moment.
Yeah, I will definitely write another letter by March 20 (the deadline they gave for this update). I felt that this update was just to re-confirm our spot on the waiting list, and to make sure our contact info was updated. Or at least that’s how I took it. They said to respond ASAP, which I did. There’s always room to write more later!

If you already know that you are 100% going then is it still necessary to attend 2nd look day? Attending would mean I have to miss my most important class for the semester (including the lab for said class) so I'm a little hesitant to attend. Out of the people in your class, what % would you say went to 2nd look day?
If it would be really inconvenient for you to go, definitely don’t feel pressure to make it. It’s mainly just an informative day to help people make their decisions and get people excited about attending GW. It’s also a fun opportunity to meet future classmates and faculty. All of the info that you will need you will get whether or not you go to 2nd Look Day, so don’t stress about it! I’m not sure what percent of my class went last year, but probably only 50-75%, maybe even less. It’s not really a thing that people talk about after the fact, unless they recognize people from that day.

If it would be really inconvenient for you to go, definitely don’t feel pressure to make it. It’s mainly just an informative day to help people make their decisions and get people excited about attending GW. It’s also a fun opportunity to meet future classmates and faculty. All of the info that you will need you will get whether or not you go to 2nd Look Day, so don’t stress about it! I’m not sure what percent of my class went last year, but probably only 50-75%, maybe even less. It’s not really a thing that people talk about after the fact, unless they recognize people from that day.

I take it you weren't a Tar Heel MD? Haha.

Accepted students: did you send a letter of continued interest or intent after you interviewed? If so, when? (Just wondering if this is something I should consider doing)

I did! I was interviewed on 12/13 and send in an update mid-Jan, and received the acceptance email on the 30th. My update letter was about my new poster publication and about how much I love GW lol. Like I mentioned what I really love about GW, how I think it's a great fit for me and what I can contribute to the community in the future

I take it you weren't a Tar Heel MD? Haha.
Haha I’m a Tar Heel through and through, and I’m on my way to becoming an MD, so the username still fits! I love NC, but it’s been amazing to explore a new place and live in DC.

Hey! Has anyone who interviewed on 12/17 heard back yet? I still haven't heard anything, thanks!

Last edited:
For those who interviewed, what type of questions were asked? I’ve heard that it’s usually conversational, but was there anything unexpected?

For those who interviewed, what type of questions were asked? I’ve heard that it’s usually conversational, but was there anything unexpected?
They ask about leadership (biggest challenges, etc.), research, how you bring diversity, hobbies, strengths/weaknesses, and why medicine. Nothing unexpected during mine!

I sent a Letter of interest before receiving my ii (I am a GW alum), would it be appropriate to send another letter expressing continued interest following the interview? It's my number one choice for sure.

I sent a Letter of interest before receiving my ii (I am a GW alum), would it be appropriate to send another letter expressing continued interest following the interview? It's my number one choice for sure.
Hell ya

Reactions: 2 users