2019-2020 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are they accredited yet or does that happen later? Heard that they had put out an email to all of Kaiser looking for people to read applications. There are non academic people mind you. It’s a little concerning.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they accredited yet or does that happen later? Heard that they had put out an email to all of Kaiser looking for people to read applications. There are non academic people mind you. It’s a little concerning.

they’ve reached the highest stage of accreditation they can at this point. They’ll be fully accredited after the first class graduates I believe

KPSOM cannot receive full accreditation until after the first class graduates. Also, I would be surprised if they didn't ask for help parsing through 10,000+ applications for their first cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
So, how y’all feeling about KP with USMLE’s announcement about STEP 1 today? I don’t mean to derail this thread, but everyone on Reddit is stressing how much more important reputation will be for matching now.
Late to the discussion, but I think since a couple of days have passed since the announcement. I believe what will happen is that step 2 will rise in importance (since it has a numerical score) and that residencies will look for/ count more on other differentiating factors such as passion for the field, letters, clinical grades, extracurriculars, research. Which is nothing new for students that go to lower-mid MDs, DO.

Yes, I believe Kaiser has an advantage in the fact that they have ample opportunity to revamp their curriculum and switch around breaks if need be. Also with an inaugural class you have the room to create extracurriculars, found a chapter at the school etc which looks great on applications. So I don't think there is anything to go too crazy over. And this announcement doesn't change my mind about Kaiser, just means I have to go to 2nd look and hear their plans.

But for anyone with acceptances I would speak with admissions about what are their plans with this announcement.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
does anyone know if they’re still giving out II?

So during my interview on Thursday, 02/13/2020, one of the dean said that Kaiser was still giving out interviews. They said hopefully everyone will hear back by mid March. I do not know about the details though, sorry.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted with merit scholarship covering full cost of living! I can't believe it.

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
To those of you who received scholarships or already applied for financial aid from Kaiser, did you submit to them through FAFSA? I can't find the code for their school anywhere and when I search, it doesn't come up. Thank you!

To those of you who received scholarships or already applied for financial aid from Kaiser, did you submit to them through FAFSA? I can't find the code for their school anywhere and when I search, it doesn't come up. Thank you!

They can’t use FAFSA yet because they can’t get full federal accreditation until they’ve graduated a class, so they have their own financial aid app if I recall correctly from my interview day

Reactions: 2 users
Okay so this is super unexpected but I got an II from here today. I thought I was done interviewing and I'm thinking of making the exception for this school even tho the ticket is expensive. My one concern is that their first year class is so small (48) and I'm worried there aren't a lot of seats available? any thoughts or insights on that?

Honestly my guess is the waitlist is going to look like a F1 race as people jump ship for more established schools. I get that this is connected to a good system but that thought in the back of someone's mind is going to become very real as they decide between Kaiser and an Ivy

Anyone know if they do silent rejections here? I haven't any contact since the "Happy Holidays, we're still reviewing applications" email. I'd love to send in an update, but I know they don't accept them.

Reactions: 1 users
Just received my email stating that I got a full merit scholarship to cover living expenses!!

No question now that I will matriculate!! My undergrad was so expensive haha

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Honestly my guess is the waitlist is going to look like a F1 race as people jump ship for more established schools. I get that this is connected to a good system but that thought in the back of someone's mind is going to become very real as they decide between Kaiser and an Ivy
Hmmm I don’t know about that

Okay so this is super unexpected but I got an II from here today. I thought I was done interviewing and I'm thinking of making the exception for this school even tho the ticket is expensive. My one concern is that their first year class is so small (48) and I'm worried there aren't a lot of seats available? any thoughts or insights on that?

don’t do it.
new school. Based upon an HMO model focused on cost cutting. Just my opinion of course.

• Hmm
don’t do it.
new school. Based upon an HMO model focused on cost cutting. Just my opinion of course.
While KPSOM is new, you have you consider what the main goal of medical school is - getting a solid residency/fellowship. Worst case scenario, if non-KP residency PDs were hesitant to take KPSOM students (which I don't suspect will necessarily be the case), odds seem incredibly high of landing whatever KP residency of your choice. For those curious about the quality of these residency programs, take a look online at various KP programs' current residents and faculty - many, many from top 5, 10, 20 programs.

That being said, if your goal is to primarily be a research MD & eventually a PI at a top academic institution, I could see KPSOM may put you at a disadvantage securing residency opportunities in line with those goals. If not, I wouldn't skip out on the interview.

Reactions: 4 users
Perhaps
My personal experience with kaiser says otherwise
Don’t want to go into too much detail but had a family member with KP insurance, several months of knee pain diagnosed with a sprain of the knee, seen by PA’s, MP’s, (never an MD) no radiographs or mri done despite several visits , finally fell and seen in ER, xrays and MRI done emergently, diagnosedwith a pathologic fracture, turned out to be an osteosarcoma, ended up dying when an early diagnosis would have saved her life.
Maybe KP not entirely at fault but I would be willing to wager if she had been seen in a private office at the very least x Rays would have been obtained.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Perhaps
Don’t want to go into too much detail but had a family member with KP insurance, several months of knee pain diagnosed with a sprain of the knee, seen by PA’s, MP’s, (never an MD) no radiographs or mri done despite several visits , finally fell and seen in ER, xrays and MRI done emergently, diagnosedwith a pathologic fracture, turned out to be an osteosarcoma, ended up dying when an early diagnosis would have saved her life.
Maybe KP not entirely at fault but I would be willing to wager if she had been seen in a private office at the very least x Rays would have been obtained.
I’m very sorry about your loss. But I don’t think it’s fair to judge a medical school from that personal experience.

I had Kaiser insurance myself for a couple of years till my parents employer changed insurer and my parents loved our care under them. My family only saw MDs and it wasn’t because we sought them out. But my personal experience with Kaiser didn’t influence my decision about the school. What influenced my decision was the type of doctor I wanted to become and my opinion on if Kaiser was qualified to make me that physician. Which I believe they can

I’m very sorry about your loss. But I don’t think it’s fair to judge a medical school from that personal experience.

I had Kaiser insurance myself for a couple of years till my parents employer changed insurer and my parents loved our care under them. My family only saw MDs and it wasn’t because we sought them out. But my personal experience with Kaiser didn’t influence my decision about the school. What influenced my decision was the type of doctor I wanted to become and my opinion on if Kaiser was qualified to make me that physician. Which I believe they can

It’s a fair point. I’m not judging the medical school. For all I know they will produce fine physicians. My point is only that the KP model is based upon saving money, and the staff, midlevels, and physicians are indoctrinated in this model, and that this occurs far too often at the expense of individual patients. KP is great if you’re healthy. God forbid you should get sick and really need treatment.

Perhaps
Not to derail the school specific nature of this thread, because I don't have much to say about the school other than agreeing that my interview felt exceedingly corporate. But anyway, I lost my someone under almost identical circumstances as you. Like so similar it was kind of strange to read your comment. I don't know how fresh the loss is for you, but I just wanted to say that you should feel free to reach out to me if you ever need someone to talk to.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
It’s a fair point. I’m not judging the medical school. For all I know they will produce fine physicians. My point is only that the KP model is based upon saving money, and the staff, midlevels, and physicians are indoctrinated in this model, and that this occurs far too often at the expense of individual patients. KP is great if you’re healthy. God forbid you should get sick and really need treatment.
But you are because you’re advising someone to not attend the interview

Is anyone else’s application still “awaiting review”? I thought it would change to Under Review but I’ve been complete since Mid-August and still nothing.

Is anyone else’s application still “awaiting review”? I thought it would change to Under Review but I’ve been complete since Mid-August and still nothing.
Your status won't change once it reaches awaiting review

Is Kaiser still contacting students about interviews? I submitted my secondary on November 1st and I still haven’t heard anything back from them. Thanks.

I got one today.

That's great news. It’s good to hear that people are still receiving interviews. Even if I end up getting a rejection letter I still want to hear back from them I feel like I should know in the next couple of weeks. Thanks.

May I PM you about your experience? My interview is in 3 days and would like to get some perspective.
I’m interviewing in 3 days as well and would love to hear more

Hey folks! best of luck on your interview! it's MMI, so there's there's not too much to say in that regard. Relax and try your best to give clear answers is the best advice I can give. As for the actual day, I would suggest to take good notes and really consider whether you can see yourself at the school. The staff and faculty were very open to answering any questions we had, too.

Frankly, I think being able to go to a school (even though it's new and will have kinks to work out) with either full tuition or full COA covered is quite amazing.

For the posters who were discussing the issues with KP as a system and the human cost that this comes with...I'm really sorry to hear about your family members. I'm personally going into medicine with the goal of working to address the corporatization of healthcare and ridiculous focus on the bottom line/profits that currently defines the sector. To say that we need systemic reform would be an understatement. No one should have deteriorating health, let along be dying, because we're putting money before human lives. That being said, I don't think this is necessarily specific to KP by any means and arguably is the dominant way healthcare operates in the U.S. For instance, the Mayo Clinic has been under fire for a while because they're prioritizing taking privately insured patients over people with Medicare and Medicaid. And this is the #1 ranked hospital in the country. For all of us, I think we should be thinking of the type of doctor we hope to be, which I think goes beyond the medical school we attend. In many cases, it will also require us to fight to create change both within our future employers and more broadly through policy and grassroots activism.

All that said, the opportunity to train to become a doctor with minimal debt is not something I would lightly suggest to pass over. Each of us has different goals and KP may or may not be able to meet them. Personally, the financial offer is very alluring and I'm going to have to weigh several factors as I make my decision in a couple months. For those of you with an interview, I would suggest attending and seeing what you think! However, if you don't want to attend an interview because of your experiences, I 100% respect that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Especially with the new Step 1 being P/F, I'm starting to wonder how many people would actually choose Kaiser, a new med school although with a very established health system in California, vs a well reputable T30. I imagine that anyone who doesn't have serious financial concerns may choose otherwise..

Especially with the new Step 1 being P/F, I'm starting to wonder how many people would actually choose Kaiser, a new med school although with a very established health system in California, vs a well reputable T30. I imagine that anyone who doesn't have serious financial concerns may choose otherwise..
Previous comments in the thread address this issue well.

Hi everyone! I collected this data:

everyone on this thread either has had silence, a II with silence, or a II with an acceptance (NO rejections yet)

On this thread: 13 acceptances, 2 of those are unconfirmed (two people who discussed UCSF versus Kaiser but never said that they were accepted) ....

Of those 13 acceptances: 1 of those withdrew, 8 of those are confirmed with full cost of living covered, 1 is MD-PHD

because of all the full cost of living scholarships, I’m curious if they’re giving full cost of living to everyone accepted?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users