2019-2020 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! I collected this data:

everyone on this thread either has had silence, a II with silence, or a II with an acceptance (NO rejections yet)

On this thread: 13 acceptances, 2 of those are unconfirmed (two people who discussed UCSF versus Kaiser but never said that they were accepted) ....

Of those 13 acceptances: 1 of those withdrew, 8 of those are confirmed with full cost of living covered, 1 is MD-PHD

because of all the full cost of living scholarships, I’m curious if they’re giving full cost of living to everyone accepted?
That is my thinking as well. Because cost of living scholarships have either been merit or need

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is my thinking as well. Because cost of living scholarships have either been merit or need

Just to put this out there, there was no merit based application for living stipend...it was basically just a FAFSA application. I’m wondering if they’re just planning to give everyone the full stipend and labeling it as merit if the demonstrated need is not 34.5K. For example, mine is in total 34.5K, a percentage of which is “merit” and a percentage of which is “need based”. But just for those curious, there is not some fancy merit application that you have to do

Just to put this out there, there was no merit based application for living stipend...it was basically just a FAFSA application. I’m wondering if they’re just planning to give everyone the full stipend and labeling it as merit if the demonstrated need is not 34.5K. For example, mine is in total 34.5K, a percentage of which is “merit” and a percentage of which is “need based”. But just for those curious, there is not some fancy merit application that you have to do
For what it's worth, they gave me the merit scholarship before submitting any financial aid documents. They still want the documents by June but say it's just for statistical purposes.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know the latest interview date that has been offered for the cycle thus far? Also, does anyone know when the last interview date for the cycle is?

Reactions: 2 users

there isn’t a merit application. They just gave me full merit scholarship before I received any financial paperwork

Does anyone know the latest interview date that has been offered for the cycle thus far? Also, does anyone know when the last interview date for the cycle is?
The latest date I've heard is the 27th of Feb. Hope this is helpful!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I collected this data:

everyone on this thread either has had silence, a II with silence, or a II with an acceptance (NO rejections yet)

On this thread: 13 acceptances, 2 of those are unconfirmed (two people who discussed UCSF versus Kaiser but never said that they were accepted) ....

Of those 13 acceptances: 1 of those withdrew, 8 of those are confirmed with full cost of living covered, 1 is MD-PHD

because of all the full cost of living scholarships, I’m curious if they’re giving full cost of living to everyone accepted?

the people that have mentioned cost of living are very high stats from what I noticed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Always have to have hope in this process! The 63 secondaries definitely have paid off this far though.
Giving me hope lol.

But dang, you did 63 secondaries?? Made props to you, definitely looks like it paid off with that 1 MD A :)

Hey guys, check this page out, it’s Kaiser’s catalog. Is their preclinical not pass/fail? I completely missed this during the interview and just assumed they’d be full P/F.
Their preclinical is P/F, I have that written down in my notes. But for clinical they go into Honors, pass, conditional pass, fail.

I read the catalog and I think the different assessments you do have to add up to a passing grade which will probably be a 70.

Kinda late to the game, but for those trying to estimate acceptances: I also interviewed 1/16, accepted 2/12 ; offered merit scholarship for full cost of living

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users

On this thread: 15 acceptances, 2 of those are unconfirmed (two people who discussed UCSF versus Kaiser but never said that they were accepted) ....

Of those 15 acceptances: 1 of those withdrew, 10 of those are confirmed with full cost of living covered, 1 is MD-PHD

just updating this

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Any ya’ll get confirmation email when you sent post-interview update letter?

Any ya’ll get confirmation email when you sent post-interview update letter?
Yeah, you get an email! It took the admissions office like a while (2 weeks ish) to reply back for me though lol

Last edited:
Hello, I JUST joined sdn for the sole purpose of posting on this thread (my lurking days are over). I am an accepted student to kaiser and I have two questions. 1. Did we have to choose Kaiser for "plan to enroll" ... I was under the impression none of the schools could see what each medical student chose until April 30th - can someone confirm?

And 2. Did anyone who was accepted and received the merit scholarship see that, since they don't qualify for federal aid yet, our previous loans are not eligible for in-school deferment? Is that worrying anyone else that has large undergrad loans (parent plus loans for example)?

• Wow
Hello, I JUST joined sdn for the sole purpose of posting on this thread (my lurking days are over). I am an accepted student to kaiser and I have two questions. 1. Did we have to choose Kaiser for "plan to enroll" ... I was under the impression none of the schools could see what each medical student chose until April 30th - can someone confirm?

And 2. Did anyone who was accepted and received the merit scholarship see that, since they don't qualify for federal aid yet, our previous loans are not eligible for in-school deferment? Is that worrying anyone else that has large undergrad loans (parent plus loans for example)?

From my understanding, we don’t have to do anything with plan to enroll at this point, but you certainly can. It just tells schools how many people have indicated that, but not identifying information. But like, what do I know? Idk

RE loans, I would check out your loan provider because some have more lenient guidelines. We aren’t automatically eligible for deferment, but my loan provider has an extenuating circumstances application that I can do to get deferment.

1. no you don’t have to choose plan to enroll for Kaiser if that is not your plan.You are correct, schools can not see individual names but they can see that say 5 accepted students have selected plan to enroll.

2. I’m in the same predicament. So I called my loan service provider to know my options. I already did this for my loans and you’ll probably qualify for economic deferment or $0 monthly payments . But I haven’t called yet about my parents plus loans. But you can always call and inquire

thoughts on flying into LAX vs burbank?
Burbank, if you can. Closer, less crowded, and much smaller, easy to navigate airport. See if you can fly in late morning/early afternoon or so (I arrived around 11 and traffic wasn’t bad).

Last edited:
Absolutely Burbank. It may be more $$, but check transit costs to get you from LAX into Pasadena and it may break even honestly.

I flex into LAX and got to Pasadena for <$20. I took the flyaway bus from LAX to Union Station and then the yellow line metro. After that, it was a pretty short walk to the hotel. If flights are way cheaper into LAX it's definitely worthwhile. Definitely takes longer to use the public transit options though, which can be a factor for the flight back after the interview.

Has anyone else been completely ghosted by this school? I submitted my secondary way back in July and haven't heard anything since. Not that I'm expecting anything at this point, but the closure of a rejection would be nice.

Reactions: 11 users
Has anyone else been completely ghosted by this school? I submitted my secondary way back in July and haven't heard anything since. Not that I'm expecting anything at this point, but the closure of a rejection would be nice.
I suspect that Kaiser is a school like Emory where they do not “reject” anyone until the end of their interview season. I believe all decisions will be released mid-end March

Thanks you guys for the travel advice! Does anyone have a sense of the mission of this school/what kind of students they’re looking for? Have an interview coming up and was surprised for the ii tbh. Not sure what to make of them
In my experience, I felt like they were looking for students who really wanted to challenge the status quo and be leaders as part of their role as doctors. It’s particularly good if you want to work with an URM/disadvantaged group or want to change the delivery of healthcare to these groups. There’s also some emphasis on cultural diversity, inclusivity, and learning from other cultural groups (I know these are sorta buzzwords, but it applied a lot to KP imo).

They’re not looking so much for the research nerds or geniuses. I think they’re searching people who can connect to their patients and ensure people can get the best care possible, no matter their race, socioeconomic status, etc. I felt they’re also pretty big on the social determinants of health here.

My best advice is to be down to earth and personable. It’s not about what you know as it is how you can communicate it in a way others can access.

Just my two cents, but hope it helps (and makes sense)!

I haven't worked as a physician, but with all due respect doctor, isn't the consensus that HMO results in (at least perceived) reduced autonomy. And I would guess reduced autonomy would signify that someone who isn't the physician is influencing care?
Although labeled an “HMO”, there is total autonomy at KP at least as far as doing what you perceive is right for patient care. KP is non-profit. If there is a “KP model“ it is their focus is on preventive care: a win-win situation. A healthy patient would not tax the health care system and you have a happy patient enjoying life. No insurance anywhere in the US really wants sick patients and a reason for pre-existing condition being a sticky point before Obama.

At KP I loved being able to practice medicine without hindrance. I used certain expensive biologics in my practice and a KP patient can get treatment within 24 hours while one patient I had who wanted to use the drug coverage from the motion pictures health plan took over 2 months to get “approval”. Such delays are never common at KP. Nothing is perfect and as in the ”private“ world, quality varies based on the knowledge, experience, and social skills of the provider. The problem is one bad outcome and it’s generalized to all KP, but the same outcome elsewhere it’s just confined to that provider and no one blames all practicing doctors.

Look, in the past years I wasn’t happy there with the demands of patients who felt they knew more from surfing the Internet, feeling like a data entry clerk with the electronic medical records, and the tight patient schedules as examples. These are out of one’s control, but that is today’s medical practice and probably worse outside KP as it also means being business savv, dealing with insurance reimbursements, malpractice, hired employees, etc.

To. RJ McReady - I am sorry if the Trump comment came off as putting you in the same context. That was not my intention but was generalizing that people need to hear the truth or at least another opinion to come to their own conclusions. As you know, Trump supporters are way too fixated on their own “reality” and shut the rest of the world.

Although labeled an “HMO”, there is total autonomy at KP at least as far as doing what you perceive is right for patient care. KP is non-profit. If there is a “KP model“ it is their focus is on preventive care: a win-win situation. A healthy patient would not tax the health care system and you have a happy patient enjoying life. No insurance anywhere in the US really wants sick patients and a reason for pre-existing condition being a sticky point before Obama.

At KP I loved being able to practice medicine without hindrance. I used certain expensive biologics in my practice and a KP patient can get treatment within 24 hours while one patient I had who wanted to use the drug coverage from the motion pictures health plan took over 2 months to get “approval”. Such delays are never common at KP. Nothing is perfect and as in the ”private“ world, quality varies based on the knowledge, experience, and social skills of the provider. The problem is one bad outcome and it’s generalized to all KP, but the same outcome elsewhere it’s just confined to that provider and no one blames all practicing doctors.

Look, in the past years I wasn’t happy there with the demands of patients who felt they knew more from surfing the Internet, feeling like a data entry clerk with the electronic medical records, and the tight patient schedules as examples. These are out of one’s control, but that is today’s medical practice and probably worse outside KP as it also means being business savv, dealing with insurance reimbursements, malpractice, hired employees, etc.

To. RJ McReady - I am sorry if the Trump comment came off as putting you in the same context. That was not my intention but was generalizing that people need to hear the truth or at least another opinion to come to their own conclusions. As you know, Trump supporters are way too fixated on their own “reality” and shut the rest of the world.

Thank you so much for the response; I don't have direct experience with Kaiser (not a very strong presence in my area). Definitely will give it a look later in in my career regardless of whether KPSOM sends me an interview invite.

The last paragraph definitely resonated with me within my setting in a large city. Im sure our cohort of physicians will be the one which changes the dynamic of physicians and EMRs. Its just about time.

Interviewing on March 4. Only other available option was on the 5th. Very grateful and excited about seeing the school!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone complete in late July and still waiting?

Reactions: 10 users
Accepted today! For those who were also accepted, where did you find your financial offer on the portal? Or did you get an additional email afterwards with specific financial information?

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted today! For those who were also accepted, where did you find your financial offer on the portal? Or did you get an additional email afterwards with specific financial information?
I got an additional email about a week later.

Congratulations!! Do they call or just send an email or update portal?

For everyone asking, I interviewed in late January. I got an email at about 10:30 and a phone call at 11:30 congratulating me, at which point I hadn't checked my email yet. Email said decision was released, but it said congratulations in the subject!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
just received an interview invite....really thought this cycle was over...not mentally prepared for how much this flight and hotel is going to cost!

Reactions: 14 users
just received an interview invite....really thought this cycle was over...not mentally prepared for how much this flight and hotel is going to cost!
They provide a hotel for you.

Fly to Burbank if you're from California or a nearby state, it may be a lot cheaper.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone who interviewed recently have any update on the state of construction? Just wondering what to expect when I get there!