Aug 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone else been completely ghosted by this school? I submitted my secondary way back in July and haven't heard anything since. Not that I'm expecting anything at this point, but the closure of a rejection would be nice.
I suspect that Kaiser is a school like Emory where they do not “reject” anyone until the end of their interview season. I believe all decisions will be released mid-end March

ismyexistenceamemeyet

cause of death: waiting to get off waitlist
Feb 14, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks you guys for the travel advice! Does anyone have a sense of the mission of this school/what kind of students they’re looking for? Have an interview coming up and was surprised for the ii tbh. Not sure what to make of them
In my experience, I felt like they were looking for students who really wanted to challenge the status quo and be leaders as part of their role as doctors. It’s particularly good if you want to work with an URM/disadvantaged group or want to change the delivery of healthcare to these groups. There’s also some emphasis on cultural diversity, inclusivity, and learning from other cultural groups (I know these are sorta buzzwords, but it applied a lot to KP imo).

They’re not looking so much for the research nerds or geniuses. I think they’re searching people who can connect to their patients and ensure people can get the best care possible, no matter their race, socioeconomic status, etc. I felt they’re also pretty big on the social determinants of health here.

My best advice is to be down to earth and personable. It’s not about what you know as it is how you can communicate it in a way others can access.

Just my two cents, but hope it helps (and makes sense)!

Reactions: cringleFCB17
About the Ads

IgEdoc

5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2013
California
Status
Attending Physician
I haven't worked as a physician, but with all due respect doctor, isn't the consensus that HMO results in (at least perceived) reduced autonomy. And I would guess reduced autonomy would signify that someone who isn't the physician is influencing care?
Although labeled an “HMO”, there is total autonomy at KP at least as far as doing what you perceive is right for patient care. KP is non-profit. If there is a “KP model“ it is their focus is on preventive care: a win-win situation. A healthy patient would not tax the health care system and you have a happy patient enjoying life. No insurance anywhere in the US really wants sick patients and a reason for pre-existing condition being a sticky point before Obama.

At KP I loved being able to practice medicine without hindrance. I used certain expensive biologics in my practice and a KP patient can get treatment within 24 hours while one patient I had who wanted to use the drug coverage from the motion pictures health plan took over 2 months to get “approval”. Such delays are never common at KP. Nothing is perfect and as in the ”private“ world, quality varies based on the knowledge, experience, and social skills of the provider. The problem is one bad outcome and it’s generalized to all KP, but the same outcome elsewhere it’s just confined to that provider and no one blames all practicing doctors.

Look, in the past years I wasn’t happy there with the demands of patients who felt they knew more from surfing the Internet, feeling like a data entry clerk with the electronic medical records, and the tight patient schedules as examples. These are out of one’s control, but that is today’s medical practice and probably worse outside KP as it also means being business savv, dealing with insurance reimbursements, malpractice, hired employees, etc.

To. RJ McReady - I am sorry if the Trump comment came off as putting you in the same context. That was not my intention but was generalizing that people need to hear the truth or at least another opinion to come to their own conclusions. As you know, Trump supporters are way too fixated on their own “reality” and shut the rest of the world.

osamine

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
Sep 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Although labeled an “HMO”, there is total autonomy at KP at least as far as doing what you perceive is right for patient care. KP is non-profit. If there is a “KP model“ it is their focus is on preventive care: a win-win situation. A healthy patient would not tax the health care system and you have a happy patient enjoying life. No insurance anywhere in the US really wants sick patients and a reason for pre-existing condition being a sticky point before Obama.

At KP I loved being able to practice medicine without hindrance. I used certain expensive biologics in my practice and a KP patient can get treatment within 24 hours while one patient I had who wanted to use the drug coverage from the motion pictures health plan took over 2 months to get “approval”. Such delays are never common at KP. Nothing is perfect and as in the ”private“ world, quality varies based on the knowledge, experience, and social skills of the provider. The problem is one bad outcome and it’s generalized to all KP, but the same outcome elsewhere it’s just confined to that provider and no one blames all practicing doctors.

Look, in the past years I wasn’t happy there with the demands of patients who felt they knew more from surfing the Internet, feeling like a data entry clerk with the electronic medical records, and the tight patient schedules as examples. These are out of one’s control, but that is today’s medical practice and probably worse outside KP as it also means being business savv, dealing with insurance reimbursements, malpractice, hired employees, etc.

To. RJ McReady - I am sorry if the Trump comment came off as putting you in the same context. That was not my intention but was generalizing that people need to hear the truth or at least another opinion to come to their own conclusions. As you know, Trump supporters are way too fixated on their own “reality” and shut the rest of the world.
Thank you so much for the response; I don't have direct experience with Kaiser (not a very strong presence in my area). Definitely will give it a look later in in my career regardless of whether KPSOM sends me an interview invite.

The last paragraph definitely resonated with me within my setting in a large city. Im sure our cohort of physicians will be the one which changes the dynamic of physicians and EMRs. Its just about time.

Reactions: IgEdoc
Feb 21, 2019
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Accepted today! For those who were also accepted, where did you find your financial offer on the portal? Or did you get an additional email afterwards with specific financial information?
I got an additional email about a week later.

ismyexistenceamemeyet

Feb 14, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Accepted today! For those who were also accepted, where did you find your financial offer on the portal? Or did you get an additional email afterwards with specific financial information?
Congrats! :) When'd you interview?

About the Ads
Jun 4, 2019
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Congratulations!! Do they call or just send an email or update portal?

Fruitjuice

2+ Year Member
May 4, 2015
just received an interview invite....really thought this cycle was over...not mentally prepared for how much this flight and hotel is going to cost!
They provide a hotel for you.

Fly to Burbank if you're from California or a nearby state, it may be a lot cheaper.

Feb 3, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone who interviewed recently have any update on the state of construction? Just wondering what to expect when I get there!

Kabloozey

2+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2016
Does anyone know how many spots are likely left? Just got an interview invite today for the last interview day a week from today, but flights are around 550$-600$ atm... I know my worth, but so late in the cycle as a guy who supports himself it hurts.

Any money saving tips there?

Jul 1, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know how many spots are likely left? Just got an interview invite today for the last interview day a week from today, but flights are around 550$-600$ atm... I know my worth, but so late in the cycle as a guy who supports himself it hurts.

To be honest, they've interviewed A LOT of people for a relatively small class. If you have an A you like already, I'd thoroughly research Kaiser, see if you'd genuinely pick it over another school and then decide :(

At least the hotel is free though!

About the Ads
Mar 23, 2019
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)

Probably still a fair amount of spots or they wouldn't keep offering interviews. All the acceptances that I've seen reported have been from recent interviewees or have come shortly after their interview date, so it seems like interviewing later in the cycle has much of an effect on your chances here.

Kabloozey

2+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2016
To be honest, they've interviewed A LOT of people for a relatively small class. If you have an A you like already, I'd thoroughly research Kaiser, see if you'd genuinely pick it over another school and then decide :(

At least the hotel is free though!
No A's yet, still waiting on hearing back from two post interview.

• Sad
Reactions: sshar118
Aug 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
No A's yet, still waiting on hearing back from two post interview.
I think it will be worth it. When I interviewed at Kaiser I did not think I would get in. I didn’t even listen when they talked about housing. Only 47 spots and over a thousand interviewees? I didn’t think my chances were good. So I went because the hotel was free and I’ve never been to CA. But 3 weeks later I got the surprise of my life! At this point I had 1 acceptance and multiple WLs. So shoot your shot! Good luck!

Aug 14, 2018

I'd reach out to admissions too--I believe they have helped some people out with flights in the past, even if they are not FAP recipients. Might be worth it!

Also, as others have mentioned, look in to flying in to both Burbank and LAX.

Kabloozey

2+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2016
I'd reach out to admissions too--I believe they have helped some people out with flights in the past, even if they are not FAP recipients. Might be worth it!

Also, as others have mentioned, look in to flying in to both Burbank and LAX.
Just purchased a flight to Burbank!

tommymomo24

2+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2015

Congrats! How do you know March 5th is the last interview day? Or do you mean that it was the latest available?

Reactions: Kabloozey

Kabloozey

2+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2016
Congrats! How do you know March 5th is the last interview day? Or do you mean that it was the latest available?
Oh I emailed them because it's kind of short notice since it was only offered today, also it's my birthday and my girlfriend and friends had planned a party, however this takes priority. It was worth asking though.

Reactions: whatifIsayplease?
About the Ads
May 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know how many interview spots they have left?
don't know about exact spots but they are interviewing until mid March. seeing as its early March and they have to give people at least a week advance notice, I'd say probably not a ton.

Reactions: MDFUTURE123

Kabloozey

2+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2016
Does anyone know how many interview spots they have left?
don't know about exact spots but they are interviewing until mid March. seeing as its early March and they have to give people at least a week advance notice, I'd say probably not a ton.
Take this as you will, but when I asked if there were other dates available than March 5th they said no. Which sucks for me. However i took what I could. Too good of an opportunity to pass up even if it meant a 500$ dollar flight and canceling my birthday plans.

Reactions: Pollybuddy16

ismyexistenceamemeyet

Feb 14, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
I thought they didn't accept updates
They don’t accept updates pre-interview; they’ll accept them post-interview though. I sent them an update and they accepted it.

ismyexistenceamemeyet

Feb 14, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
I’m not sure if it’s been answered on the thread already, but have they sent any post-II Rs? Or do they only send those at the end of the cycle?

AquaticSunrise13

2+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I submitted my supplemental application On November 1st and still haven’t heard back. Is there any hope left at this point?

Fruitjuice

2+ Year Member
May 4, 2015
Take this as you will, but when I asked if there were other dates available than March 5th they said no. Which sucks for me. However i took what I could. Too good of an opportunity to pass up even if it meant a 500$ dollar flight and canceling my birthday plans.
In my experience, they are not flexible with interview dates. I recall asking for another date and they declined. The date they assign you is it.

Reactions: LGBTEMT
May 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
When is the last possible interview date?
mid march, that said I wouldn't expect to recieve an interview from here on out. a couple might go out but most likely they've invited 99.9% of the people they will end up interviewing.

About the Ads