2019-2020 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
With second thought, I deleted my post cuz I don't think what they are doing is unethical relative to the whole application process for medical school. I would argue this whole process is abusive and my post was a reflection of that. What I really wanted to complain about was how much pressure I personally felt to attend this place based on the fact that it was free. Feel free to copy pasta the **** out of my memeworthy post but looking back, I think I'm a mix of angry and jealous over this whole deal. I don't think Kaiser is a "bad™" school--in fact it will probably train some of the best doctors for its system (and hopefully others). What I am angry about is the pressure I experienced in this process and how much I disliked Kaiser as a result. So sorry again for the tilt and thanks for the respectful commentary.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
7A113CE1-E0FC-45E8-8896-ABCF09CD49F7.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That was a heck of a post of bottled up feelings, wow.

I'll just reiterate that I have no bad blood against Kaiser, and that no one has to feel ashamed if they choose Kaiser solely for the free tuition. Likewise, don't feel like you have to choose Kaiser for the free tuition. If you have options, (like @purpleguys99999 said) weigh 'em and decide where you wanna go.

Reactions: 1 user
They interviewed way too many people for the spots they have.

I don't want to go as far as saying that it's "immoral" but it is wasteful to do what they did. What "gem" were they looking for?

Reactions: 6 users
They interviewed way too many people for the spots they have.

I don't want to go as far as saying that it's "immoral" but it is wasteful to do what they did. What "gem" were they looking for?

Hindsight’s 20/20... I’m sure looking back the administration would agree it was a few too many but they probably wanted to err on the side of interviewing too many since the school is new and they don’t knew how many people will accept A’s. Better to have too many than too few.

Also... do we actually know how many people interviewed?

Hindsight’s 20/20... I’m sure looking back the administration would agree it was a few too many but they probably wanted to err on the side of interviewing too many since the school is new and they don’t knew how many people will accept A’s. Better to have too many than too few.

Also... do we actually know how many people interviewed?

They interviewed like 24 every week for many months so quite a few, considering they extended their season into March

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! Long-time lurker here. Couldn’t sleep last night, so I kind of went down the rabbit hole on this one (lol). I haven’t seen anyone post about this, so I figured I’d throw it out there: According to Kaiser, “Institutional grant aid for living expenses, as well as the cost of the waived health insurance coverage, may be considered taxable income by the Internal Revenue Service. Students are strongly encouraged to consult a qualified tax professional to determine any tax implications.” I wanted to know if anyone else has looked into this? Obviously $ with taxes owed is better than no money, but this is important to recognize/understand regardless! I’m wondering how monthly budgeting might work given there could be a lot of expenses due to commuting to all of the clinical locations and planning for about $4,000-5,000 in state/federal taxes at the end of the year.

https://medschool.kp.org/content/dam/internet/kp/som/homepage/student-life/2020-2021 Catalog.pdf
Topic No. 421 Scholarships, Fellowship Grants, and Other Grants | Internal Revenue Service

I did a cursory calculation below:
$34,500 Living Expenses Stipend (increasing 3% each year)
+ $6,538 Their Estimated Cost of Waived KP Insurance
= $41,038
- $12,200 Standard Deduction for Single Person in 2019
= $28,838 AGI —> federal taxes due: $3,267 plus potential State Income Tax (CA): I had no idea how to do this one, but I used an online tool to estimate ~$1,025. Lastly, even though scholarships used for living expenses are taxable, they are usually exempt from FICA. So, estimated total tax burden: $4,292 — That’s about $360/month.

Anyway, this might be most helpful for the handful of admitted students on here, but still!! I’m gonna guess that their estimated expenses might be slightly inflated to account for this (hopefully) or else, budget with this in mind!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi! Long-time lurker here. Couldn’t sleep last night, so I kind of went down the rabbit hole on this one (lol). I haven’t seen anyone post about this, so I figured I’d throw it out there: According to Kaiser, “Institutional grant aid for living expenses, as well as the cost of the waived health insurance coverage, may be considered taxable income by the Internal Revenue Service. Students are strongly encouraged to consult a qualified tax professional to determine any tax implications.” I wanted to know if anyone else has looked into this? Obviously $ with taxes owed is better than no money, but this is important to recognize/understand regardless! I’m wondering how monthly budgeting might work given there could be a lot of expenses due to commuting to all of the clinical locations and planning for about $4,000-5,000 in state/federal taxes at the end of the year.

https://medschool.kp.org/content/dam/internet/kp/som/homepage/student-life/2020-2021 Catalog.pdf
Topic No. 421 Scholarships, Fellowship Grants, and Other Grants | Internal Revenue Service

I did a cursory calculation below:
$34,500 Living Expenses Stipend (increasing 3% each year)
+ $6,538 Their Estimated Cost of Waived KP Insurance
= $41,038
- $12,200 Standard Deduction for Single Person in 2019
= $28,838 AGI —> federal taxes due: $3,267 plus potential State Income Tax (CA): I had no idea how to do this one, but I used an online tool to estimate ~$1,025. Lastly, even though scholarships used for living expenses are taxable, they are usually exempt from FICA. So, estimated total tax burden: $4,292 — That’s about $360/month.

Anyway, this might be most helpful for the handful of admitted students on here, but still!! I’m gonna guess that their estimated expenses might be slightly inflated to account for this (hopefully) or else, budget with this in mind!
I have asked a tax professional and they told me that this money would not be taxed, for what it's worth. Obviously I'm not a tax professional so talk to your own, too, if you're still concerned.

I have asked a tax professional and they told me that this money would not be taxed, for what it's worth. Obviously I'm not a tax professional so talk to your own, too, if you're still concerned.

For sure! That's interesting - the IRS site I linked suggests otherwise

For sure! That's interesting - the IRS site I linked suggests otherwise
I sent that link to my tax professional and I'll see what he says. He'd previously said that it did not qualify as income because there was no quid-pro-quo.

My tax professional got back to me. He said that it IS taxable. He said that the health insurance portion is not taxable, because the health insurance fee is being waived, not distributed to us. He calculated roughly $2500/yr in tax burden for someone filing single, assuming no write-offs.

They only just responded to me (emailed them accepting the WL offer on the 7th, received confirmation the 10th).
Also sent them an update letter in the same email...but they didn't confirm anything about adding that to file. Assuming they did so?

Just got an email back thanking me for accepting the WL offer (I emailed them on 3/9).They DID note they added my update to my file for review. So hopefully they added yours too and just didn’t explicitly mention it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Can other accepted students who are having (or who had) a hard time making a decision between Kaiser and other schools please message me? I feel like others in the same position as me will be able to sympathize and tell me what helped them decide! Please message me!

Reactions: 1 users
Can other accepted students who are having (or who had) a hard time making a decision between Kaiser and other schools please message me? I feel like others in the same position as me will be able to sympathize and tell me what helped them decide! Please message me!
Are you in the facebook group? A bunch of us are in a groupme from that facebook group and had a zoom call last night discussing choosing between Kaiser and other schools. I highly recommend that you join so that we can help! But if you don't have either of those you can message me!

Are you in the facebook group? A bunch of us are in a groupme from that facebook group and had a zoom call last night discussing choosing between Kaiser and other schools. I highly recommend that you join so that we can help! But if you don't have either of those you can message me!

would also recommend getting in the groupme, but feel free to PM me as well!

What do you all think of Kaiser not having home residency programs for a number of specialties including anesthesia, ophthalmology, ortho, neurosurgery, and plastics

Do any of you know how helpful it is to have a home residency to fall back on and if this is something that should be heavily considered?

I feel like those are so many doors that will be harder to open now -- feel free to DM me if you would rather discuss it there

What do you all think of Kaiser not having home residency programs for a number of specialties including anesthesia, ophthalmology, ortho, neurosurgery, and plastics

Do any of you know how helpful it is to have a home residency to fall back on and if this is something that should be heavily considered?

I feel like those are so many doors that will be harder to open now -- feel free to DM me if you would rather discuss it there
my thoughts on this is that Kaiser is a lot safer for people wanting to match into some less competitive specialties then those who want to match into the most competitive specialties. For one, nobody knows what Kaiser's reputation among residency directors is going to be like. I'm sure they'll be able to get their internal med, peds, ob-gyn, etc. matches but will they match anybody into plastics or neurosurg? there are no guarantees.

After speaking with a PD about it, he said the students will limit their match choices more than their school name ever would (to him). But that going to a more prestigious school affords you the opportunity to get into a place with less work and less stress. I am interested in a competitive specialty, and he said I wouldn't limit myself, but I won't be able to just walk into the position I want how I would at a more established place.

Just withdrew my A, GL to everyone on the waitlist.

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
So curious how much waitlist movement there will be, if any. Anyone have any insights?

So curious how much waitlist movement there will be, if any. Anyone have any insights?
All speculation, but currently 57 students in the FB and 45 in the groupchat. Maybe approx 38 matriculate and 10 come from the waitlist? But who knows.

All speculation, but currently 57 students in the FB and 45 in the groupchat. Maybe approx 38 matriculate and 10 come from the waitlist? But who knows.
Harvard's yield is 72% I would imagine Kaiser is lower... good luck to everyone.

Harvard's yield is 72% I would imagine Kaiser is lower... good luck to everyone.
NYU yields about 65% so I would expect Kaiser to be a good bit less. Also, I believe the yield is calculated after wait list Acceptances, so yield is even lower before WL.

For those that attended second look, did Kaiser discuss how they expect students to match into competitive specialties in which Kaiser has no home residencies thus further reducing mentorship and research opportunities?
Example- Ortho

For those that attended second look, did Kaiser discuss how they expect students to match into competitive specialties in which Kaiser has no home residencies thus further reducing mentorship and research opportunities?
Example- Ortho
Yes. Short answer is they have partnerships with nearby research centers such as Caltech, City of Hope,etc. Plus there are a plethora of mentors in every speciality and our mentors will reach out to colleagues for us to help make a bridge. They are probably doing more than this but this question has been asked to the deans so many times I zone it out now lol

Yes. Short answer is they have partnerships with nearby research centers such as Caltech, City of Hope,etc. Plus there are a plethora of mentors in every speciality and our mentors will reach out to colleagues for us to help make a bridge. They are probably doing more than this but this question has been asked to the deans so many times I zone it out now lol
City of Hope doesn’t have Ortho. (programs )
Then what?

• Okay...
City of Hope doesn’t have Ortho. (programs )
Then what?
Kaiser does have researchers in SoCal looking at orthopedics. For example: Annette Adams | Profiles RNS

Also, while I'm not yet a medical student, it is my understanding that you don't have to have a bunch of ortho research to get accepted into an ortho program. Other research and publications will matter.

Kaiser does have researchers in SoCal looking at orthopedics. For example: Annette Adams | Profiles RNS

Also, while I'm not yet a medical student, it is my understanding that you don't have to have a bunch of ortho research to get accepted into an ortho program. Other research and publications will matter.
I don’t disagree, but certainly makes a difference having in-field related research and especially relationships.

I don’t disagree, but certainly makes a difference having in-field related research and especially relationships.
Just because Kaiser doesn’t have an in home residency for ortho doesn’t mean they don’t have orthopedic surgeons. In fact one of our facilitators is an orthopedic surgeon. All a student has to do is reach out and faculty will make the connect/form a mentor relationship so that a student can accomplish their goal of becoming an orthopedic surgeon. We also have a research faculty/coordinator that is in charge of helping us get research that is not just at Kaiser facilities. So essentially, no worries about not getting research/ getting into a competitive residency.

Kaiser has a fellowship in orthopedic sports medicine, with faculty who have dual positions at UCLA, UCSD and have trained at places like MGH and UCSF.

KP students interested in ortho should have no issues matching well or finding quality mentors and research opportunities.

Kaiser has a fellowship in orthopedic sports medicine, with faculty who have dual positions at UCLA, UCSD and have trained at places like MGH and UCSF.

KP students interested in ortho should have no issues matching well or finding quality mentors and research opportunities.
I acknowledge this, but clinicals won't be at a home program for electives (setup for students and GME) such as Ortho. Just not ideal.

Just got accepted from the waitlist :oops: extremely shocked I was beginning to lose hope. Interviewed in September

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I was just accepted off the waitlist last night! Happy to meet y'all soon!!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I was just accepted off the waitlist last night! Happy to meet y'all soon!!
Would you mind sharing your stats?

First time poster here, just been accepted off the waitlist and received a merit scholarship for living expenses! I received the Geffen merit scholarship from UCLA which also covers cost of attendance. Am feeling very torn and wondering if any admitted students would be willing to chat about the decision.

• Love
  • Hmm
Reactions: 8 users
First time poster here, just been accepted off the waitlist and received a merit scholarship for living expenses! I received the Geffen merit scholarship from UCLA which also covers cost of attendance. Am feeling very torn and wondering if any admitted students would be willing to chat about the decision.
You should do X vs Y thread to get good feedback.

DM’d you! Was choosing b/w UCLA and KP as well, but ultimately committed to KP!

Feel free to DM me as well

You received full ride full COA at UCLA a top 10 school, why would you not choose it vs Kaiser and risk the unknown? You have a very different question than just Kaiser full ride vs UCLA full cost.

Reactions: 3 users
You received full ride full COA at UCLA a top 10 school, why would you not choose it vs Kaiser and risk the unknown? You have a very different question than just Kaiser full ride vs UCLA full cost.
LOL what is your problem? You aren’t even an applicant but a dad of an applicant. Where is your kid going? Did they even interview at Kaiser?

On another note, choosing a medical school is also about fit. They are deciding between kaiser and UCLA for a reason. Let them decide lol

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
LOL what is your problem? You aren’t even an applicant but a dad of an applicant. Where is your kid going? Did they even interview at Kaiser?

On another note, choosing a medical school is also about fit. They are deciding between kaiser and UCLA for a reason. Let them decide lol
How do you know they are a dad? I thought they are a mom :)

Can anybody who is in the facebook group confirm whether there are currently 48 students in the group? I have a feeling waitlist movement is more or less done after the few that went out earlier (unless somebody declines their WL offer). I just want to know so I can convince myself I am rejected because I probably will not receive formal confirmation of that for a fairly long time and its the thought that there is still a small chance is keeping me from putting all of my efforts into preparing to go to the program I have planned to enroll at. Thank you!