You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Kaiser (Tyson)
Started by OchemOficionado
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
futuredogtor94
Full Member
The sun is currently shining here in Cincinnati, but there are going to be thunderstorms all afternoon and if that isn't a metaphor for this whole process then idk what is. Come on Kaiser I am ready - just rip the bandaid off!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do we have to send an email to accept the waitlist offer?
Agent Burt Macklin
Full Member
Do we have to send an email to accept the waitlist offer?
that's what it loooks like you've gotta do. maybe they're hoping lot's of folks never email & that's an easy way for them to narrow the WL 😆
that's what it loooks like you've gotta do. maybe they're hoping lot's of folks never email & that's an easy way for them to narrow the WL 😆
Guess I have to send an email then
D
deleted688779
Mine says I’ve already been placed? Might be wrongthat's what it loooks like you've gotta do. maybe they're hoping lot's of folks never email & that's an easy way for them to narrow the WL 😆
D
deleted1012581
that's what it loooks like you've gotta do. maybe they're hoping lot's of folks never email & that's an easy way for them to narrow the WL 😆
Yup, it doesn’t say so in the email but on the website (linked in the WL email) says you have to email to accept the WL position.
Attachments
Agent Burt Macklin
Full Member
Yup, it doesn’t say so in the email but on the website (linked in the WL email) says you have to email to accept the WL position.
tricksy those sneaky little hobbitses!!!
D
deleted688779
WowYup, it doesn’t say so in the email but on the website (linked in the WL email) says you have to email to accept the WL position.
-5 points on the Holistic Medical School Rating Metric (HMSRM)TM essentially auto-reject when the school applies for top-tier applicants, unless the school has some unique x-factor EC like they run a snail racing farm, airbending class, or Nobel Winning 101. Like I've been saying, research/NIH funding metric only gets you through the door. What else do you have to offer? How do you treat your applicants? How do you stand out when other medical schools are paying their way into applicants? This is why I also encourage medical schools to apply broadly, not just the top tier applicants, luck of the draw. Unfortunately, through my years as an evaluator, most mission statements are generic and applicants only give a quick glance when evaluating apps before tossing the medical school into the reject pile.
Last edited by a moderator:
Me @ Kaiser rn:
end my misery already just send an email i don't care at this point
hopefulpremed2020
Full Member
Has anyone emailed accepting the offer? If so, what did you write?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted976595
Has anyone emailed accepting the offer? If so, what did you write?
I wrote to decline the offer and haven't gotten a response yet. So.... seems about par for the course
jackiepremed
Full Member
Has anyone emailed accepting the offer? If so, what did you write?
"Dear Office of Admissions. Thank you for your email. I would like to accept this position on the waitlist. Thank you for your time and consideration, jackiepremed."
Short and sweet hehe
Heard nothing yesterday, and haven't heard anything so far today either. Still waiting on a decision.Any other WL’s or R’s go out since Tuesday? Was that everyone...?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
reyreyrey
Full Member
+1 and slowly descending into madnessHeard nothing yesterday, and haven't heard anything so far today either. Still waiting on a decision.![]()
+1 and slowly descending into madness
+2
Since the adcom has to reconvene to re-evaluate all waitlisted applicants if/when a spot becomes available, do y’all think it’s safe to assume the WL is relatively small? I’m sure they don’t want to discuss hundreds of applicants each time...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mean, I hate to say it but, I think the WL is pretty large. SDN bias is a thing but so many people got a WL here I'd imagine the actual number is much higherSince the adcom has to reconvene to re-evaluate all waitlisted applicants if/when a spot becomes available, do y’all think it’s safe to assume the WL is relatively small? I’m sure they don’t want to discuss hundreds of applicants each time...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
reyreyrey
Full Member
At my interview early march they said they expect to have a "large" waitlist.I mean, I hate to say it but, I think the WL is pretty large. SDN bias is a thing but so many people got a WL here I'd imagine the actual number is much higher
futuredogtor94
Full Member
Sorry to hear that, but also happy you were put out of your misery! Did you just get notified?This was the happiest rejection of my life
Sorry to hear that, but also happy you were put out of your misery! Did you just get notified?
Monday! Am just late to posting.
Just got that R. Time to work on my application once again
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got the R. Interviewed in February as well. Well, it's been a fun ride, everyone. Good luck to those on the WL, and congrats to everyone who got that A! Make us proud!
Last edited:
Agent Burt Macklin
Full Member
Total tangent guys--has anyone been fruitful in finding contact information/emails for faculty at the school?
I've been able to go through schools' directories to find this info normally...but for KP nothing.
Suggestions?
I've been able to go through schools' directories to find this info normally...but for KP nothing.
Suggestions?
vllgscribe
New Member
Just got the R as well. Interviewed 2/27. Fortunate enough to have an A elsewhere, but good luck to all those waiting to hear back and/or waiting for their official start to their journey to MD/DO! The world needs us more than ever, good luck y’all!
ihopetibiadoc
Full Member
did anyone get a response after emailing to accept the waitlist position?
did anyone get a response after emailing to accept the waitlist position?
I emailed them yesterday at 11AM PST and haven’t gotten a response
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agent Burt Macklin
Full Member
I emailed them yesterday at 11AM PST and haven’t gotten a response
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They only just responded to me (emailed them accepting the WL offer on the 7th, received confirmation the 10th).
Also sent them an update letter in the same email...but they didn't confirm anything about adding that to file. Assuming they did so?
SlipperyWhenWet
Se~se~se~
Withdrawing, hoping that one of y'all gets it!
Of the accepted students, are there any who have not received a merit scholarship covering cost of attendance in addition to tuition being waived?
sorry for being neurotic, but do you mean withdrawing from the WL or withdrawing your A?Withdrawing, hoping that one of y'all gets it!
Of the accepted students, are there any who have not received a merit scholarship covering cost of attendance in addition to tuition being waived?
based on the replies here, no.
SlipperyWhenWet
Se~se~se~
Withdrawing my acceptance.sorry for being neurotic, but do you mean withdrawing from the WL or withdrawing your A?
I got one.Of the accepted students, are there any who have not received a merit scholarship covering cost of attendance in addition to tuition being waived?
Bigmedicineguy
Applying 2019-2020 Cycle
Can anybody comment on the fact that since they aren't fully accredited accepted students will not be eligible for federal loans? I wasn't aware of this until today. Will the school take this into consideration for living since we would have to take out private loans?
Withdrawing, hoping that one of y'all gets it!
If you don’t mind sharing, where will be going instead and how’d you make your decision? Just curious 🙂
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can anybody comment on the fact that since they aren't fully accredited accepted students will not be eligible for federal loans? I wasn't aware of this until today. Will the school take this into consideration for living since we would have to take out private loans?
most students(it seems almost all) have received a stipend of 34,500 per year for living expenses. I personally won’t need to take any loans out, and I would think that is true of most people living on a budget of $2875/month,even in Pasadena.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That is correct, you won't be eligible for federal loans, but they do say that sallie mae is willing to work with students if they need a loan. Personally, I won't be taking out any loans because it's definitely manageable to live on 2875/month and our COL (and thus grant) increases by 3% each year so we will get more money each year to live off of.Can anybody comment on the fact that since they aren't fully accredited accepted students will not be eligible for federal loans? I wasn't aware of this until today. Will the school take this into consideration for living since we would have to take out private loans?
SlipperyWhenWet
Se~se~se~
I'll be going to UTMB. If I get Baylor then I'll be going there.If you don’t mind sharing, where will be going instead and how’d you make your decision? Just curious 🙂
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I applied to Kaiser I did not think I'd ever think I'd get in. When I did, I was thrilled, and I would probably have matriculated at Kaiser over my other OOS acceptances, until I prematched at UTMB. UTMB's IS cost of attendance is pretty low, I'll be next to family, and I'll be in my hometown again. These factors are very important to me.
A big problem for me was also Kaiser itself. My relatives in CA haven't had a good experience with them. I know Kaiser Permanente and the school are different animals, but I do not want to ever work for them, residency or otherwise.
The merit aid and COA for Kaiser was very tempting, but in the end, I realized I my heart wasn't in going to Kaiser. I don't think I would have been happy there. There was no point in dragging my feet about it, so I let Kaiser go.
With that being said, I've got not against the school, or those who choose to attend. I'm sure Kaiser will make some great doctors. 🙂
b1209
Full Member
dang ur BIG madRejected post-II as well. Just want have some closing words to tag with yours because your post echos in my heart so much. First off, I want to thank Kaiser for having the courage to do what they did and for interviewing me and accepting and waitlisting so many wonderful candidates. I have no beef with any particular individual or the institution. I do, however, have concerns with the plan for the school that really bothered me and made me relieved to be rejected. You read that right.
You see, free medical school is bribery. I cannot, in good faith, choose the school that fits me the best when I literally have the option to pay nothing (not even CoL for some lucky folks). When I saw the layout for Kaiser's plan, I knew it would not work for me. 48 students?! What if one of them is insufferable? What if your cohort is a cricket-chirping fest? Does anyone not remember the pitfalls of small group learning? And this whole "clinical experience in the first few weeks" on top of relentless PBL/TBL makes me wonder how anyone learns preclinical basics. It sounded exhausting. But I stayed on because two words: free. school.
Next, there is the **** show of that anatomy teaching expo at the end of the interview. They showed me all this fancy VR/synthetic ****. I want to be a surgeon or at least know how to cut basic stuff. I need to cut. I need to cut a body. I need to suffer in a traditional anatomy lab, prosections at least. Anyone who has read When Breath Becomes Air immediately knows why this is a sacred rite of passage for the aspiring surgeon. If I wanted to be a medicine-based doc (IM, peds, etc.) in California, Kaiser would be perfect. I do not. But I stayed on because two words: free. school.
Lastly, Kaiser did something distinctly southern Californian that really bothered me. They offered a scenario where you work like a dog, live exceedingly healthily (yoga rooftop!), and are somehow not overwhelmed by the (sometimes literal) treadmill they put you on. Between the random clinical experiences and dauntless PBL, I don't know where the "study in my pajamas" part of med school is going to be. Guess what, that is what a lot of preclinicals is! You study in your pajamas, have oodles of time, and waste a small portion of it just being a flawed human being. Kaiser wants to change that but I think they are assuming too much strength out of young aspiring students. But I stayed on because two words: free. school.
Overall, I don't want to trash Kaiser. I want to trash a curriculum that I think will change dramatically. I think their first class will have a lot of roadblocks and pot holes and they are either going to become a mysterious elite med school for god-tier people or they are going to become the same old flipped-classroom BS fest that most of modern medical education is becoming. I think debt is important to consider. I also know that if you aren't going into a severely underpaid specialty and live poorly for a bit post-residency, med school debt is bearable relative to the debt most of America struggles with. If you come from an underprivileged background and think free med school is important enough to justify all these issues (or even better, like these changes Kaiser promotes) then by all means enjoy your KP education. But for me and maybe others, I am glad that they declined to bribe me and other applicants into a flawed and incomplete dream.
Cheers
I respect your opinion on the curriculum (although I disagree on several points), but I don't think your use of the term bribery is not necessarily appropriate here. I suppose it's just arguing semantics but bribery has a heavily negative connotation and isn't the same as offering an incentive. The school is free and it is up for you to make an educated decision whether that is worth the cost-benefit analysis (which you clearly have!). I do not think it constitutes bribery because of the transparency that is being demonstrated. The fact that it is free is not under the table by any means and they are being fairly clear with what you can expect from the school, some of which you used to make your decision. Again, I respect your opinion and decision, just disagree with some semantics usedRejected post-II as well. Just want have some closing words to tag with yours because your post echos in my heart so much. First off, I want to thank Kaiser for having the courage to do what they did and for interviewing me and accepting and waitlisting so many wonderful candidates. I have no beef with any particular individual or the institution. I do, however, have concerns with the plan for the school that really bothered me and made me relieved to be rejected. You read that right.
You see, free medical school is bribery. I cannot, in good faith, choose the school that fits me the best when I literally have the option to pay nothing (not even CoL for some lucky folks). When I saw the layout for Kaiser's plan, I knew it would not work for me. 48 students?! What if one of them is insufferable? What if your cohort is a cricket-chirping fest? Does anyone not remember the pitfalls of small group learning? And this whole "clinical experience in the first few weeks" on top of relentless PBL/TBL makes me wonder how anyone learns preclinical basics. It sounded exhausting. But I stayed on because two words: free. school.
Next, there is the **** show of that anatomy teaching expo at the end of the interview. They showed me all this fancy VR/synthetic ****. I want to be a surgeon or at least know how to cut basic stuff. I need to cut. I need to cut a body. I need to suffer in a traditional anatomy lab, prosections at least. Anyone who has read When Breath Becomes Air immediately knows why this is a sacred rite of passage for the aspiring surgeon. If I wanted to be a medicine-based doc (IM, peds, etc.) in California, Kaiser would be perfect. I do not. But I stayed on because two words: free. school.
Lastly, Kaiser did something distinctly southern Californian that really bothered me. They offered a scenario where you work like a dog, live exceedingly healthily (yoga rooftop!), and are somehow not overwhelmed by the (sometimes literal) treadmill they put you on. Between the random clinical experiences and dauntless PBL, I don't know where the "study in my pajamas" part of med school is going to be. Guess what, that is what a lot of preclinicals is! You study in your pajamas, have oodles of time, and waste a small portion of it just being a flawed human being. Kaiser wants to change that but I think they are assuming too much strength out of young aspiring students. But I stayed on because two words: free. school.
Overall, I don't want to trash Kaiser. I want to trash a curriculum that I think will change dramatically. I think their first class will have a lot of roadblocks and pot holes and they are either going to become a mysterious elite med school for god-tier people or they are going to become the same old flipped-classroom BS fest that most of modern medical education is becoming. I think debt is important to consider. I also know that if you aren't going into a severely underpaid specialty and live poorly for a bit post-residency, med school debt is bearable relative to the debt most of America struggles with. If you come from an underprivileged background and think free med school is important enough to justify all these issues (or even better, like these changes Kaiser promotes) then by all means enjoy your KP education. But for me and maybe others, I am glad that they declined to bribe me and other applicants into a flawed and incomplete dream.
Cheers
D
deleted1039112
dang ur BIG mad
Yeah this process felt dehumanizing. Sorry for the tilt