2019-2020 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anybody who is in the facebook group confirm whether there are currently 48 students in the group? I have a feeling waitlist movement is more or less done after the few that went out earlier (unless somebody declines their WL offer). I just want to know so I can convince myself I am rejected because I probably will not receive formal confirmation of that for a fairly long time and its the thought that there is still a small chance is keeping me from putting all of my efforts into preparing to go to the program I have planned to enroll at. Thank you!
I would like to know this as well. I am sure @XKEJUN246 can answer this question. He is definitely from Kaiser administration and hope he can help us.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anybody who is in the facebook group confirm whether there are currently 48 students in the group? I have a feeling waitlist movement is more or less done after the few that went out earlier (unless somebody declines their WL offer). I just want to know so I can convince myself I am rejected because I probably will not receive formal confirmation of that for a fairly long time and its the thought that there is still a small chance is keeping me from putting all of my efforts into preparing to go to the program I have planned to enroll at. Thank you!

The Facebook group isn’t accurate anymore, but so far I believe all the people that have been accepted off the WL instantly join our groupme which has 43 members as of right now. They have been accepting at least 1 person everyday.

Reactions: 1 user
I would like to know this as well. I am sure @XKEJUN246 can answer this question. He is definitely from Kaiser administration and hope he can help us.
I am not in the administration lol. I’m an accepted student and committed to Kaiser on 4/30!! If you go through the thread you can see when I announced I got my interview invite

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
I am not in the administration lol. I’m an accepted student and committed to Kaiser on 4/30!! If you go through the thread you can see when I announced I got my interview invite
To be honest, I believed till I saw your following post and wording of the post...
"In fact one of our facilitators is an orthopedic surgeon. "
"We also have a research faculty/coordinator that is in charge of helping us "

Don't take it wrong, but it's good to have people from administration helping, guiding and providing lots of help to us and I really appreciate it. Thank you.

• Haha
To be honest, I believed till I saw your following post and wording of the post...
"In fact one of our facilitators is an orthopedic surgeon. "
"We also have a research faculty/coordinator that is in charge of helping us "

Don't take it wrong, but it's good to have people from administration helping, guiding and providing lots of help to us and I really appreciate it. Thank you.
LOL I’m sorry that I already think I’m apart of kaiser and used the pronoun “our”??? I got that info because kaiser released to admitted applicants a 40 minute video introducing all of the faculty. I know about the research faculty because it’s a concern of many people before the 4/30 deadline and it was a discussion in the groupme like everyday.

I decided on attending kaiser In March so yeah sorry for my excitement and already thinking I’m apart of their community which they tell us to do.

First time poster here, just been accepted off the waitlist and received a merit scholarship for living expenses! I received the Geffen merit scholarship from UCLA which also covers cost of attendance. Am feeling very torn and wondering if any admitted students would be willing to chat about the decision.
Which day were you accepted?

LOL what is your problem? You aren’t even an applicant but a dad of an applicant. Where is your kid going? Did they even interview at Kaiser?

On another note, choosing a medical school is also about fit. They are deciding between kaiser and UCLA for a reason. Let them decide lol

I voiced my opinion, that was all. It didn’t criticize Kaiser, just indicated an opinion about choosing an alternative and the reason why. In fact, I often have recommended the opposite in other X vs Y threads, recommending Kaiser.

Fit IS important, my kid chose T10 vs T5 and T30 with merit, for fit reasons.
However, ranking can also come into play.

I have previously implied I am a mom and other times a dad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
You seem to be insecure seeing a vote other than for Kaiser. Why is that? What does it say about you?
I voiced my opinion, that was all. It didn’t criticize Kaiser, just indicated an opinion about choosing an alternative and the reason why. In fact, I often have recommended the opposite in other X vs Y threads, recommending Kaiser.

Fit IS important, my kid chose T10 vs T5 and T30 with merit, for fit reasons.
However, ranking can also come into play.

I have previously implied I am a mom and other times a dad.
I’m not insecure and I don’t think Kaiser is for everyone. I just think it was unusual how you quickly jumped to ranking and full COA at UCLA instead of asking about what is important to this person when choosing a school. Hence let them think and decide. I was not advocating for Kaiser. This is a huge and personal decision

Edit: I’ve also seen you do this kind of thing on other threads and I guess I voiced my opinion here on Kaiser’s thread

Reactions: 6 users
You received full ride full COA at UCLA a top 10 school, why would you not choose it vs Kaiser and risk the unknown? You have a very different question than just Kaiser full ride vs UCLA full cost.

I’m not insecure and I don’t think Kaiser is for everyone. I just think it was unusual how you quickly jumped to ranking and full COA at UCLA instead of asking about what is important to this person when choosing a school. Hence let them think and decide. I was not advocating for Kaiser. This is a huge and personal decision

Edit: I’ve also seen you do this kind of thing on other threads and I guess I voiced my opinion here on Kaiser’s thread

As a reference, I included my post with which you had an issue. As you can see, I specifically asked why he would not choose UCLA so he could explain his “why Kaiser” since it wasn’t for cost nor prestige reasons.

I bet you can’t find any example as you claim “seen me do this kind of thing” where I voiced an opinion without the Poster including reasons, or me including my justification of my opinion or comment.

I think Kaiser is doing a great job as a new medical school in rounding out resources to ensure their students succeed. It's understandable why picking between KPSOM and another T20 school can be difficult, especially because of everything a school has to offer outside of academics itself. Lets do our best to be respectful and supportive of one another. At the end of the day, we're all going to be successful MDs no matter where we go.

Reactions: 9 users
there are applicants that have parents with accounts/commenting on SDN threads? thats wildddddd haha godspeed

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
there are applicants that have parents with accounts/commenting on SDN threads? thats wildddddd haha godspeed

I know haha I’m imagining my parents getting into online arguments with people who could potentially be my classmates lol I’m dead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This thought has crossed my mind. If I found out my mom was on SDN posting at all, let alone behaving this way, we’d have to have a long chat. That’s... unstable.

• Haha
Did anyone not receive full COA?
If so, how does Kaiser expect you to get the loans if not government accredited?

Did anyone not receive full COA?
If so, how does Kaiser expect you to get the loans if not government accredited?

If your kid was accepted, I’m sure the financial aid office will be in touch with them shortly with further details on how to manage finances as a KP student!

• Haha
Is kaiser going to accept students off of the waitlist who have other acceptances and have already PTE’d at another institution? I remember the wording of the waitlist instructions said that they will not accept applicants who hold spots at other schools.

Is kaiser going to accept students off of the waitlist who have other acceptances and have already PTE’d at another institution? I remember the wording of the waitlist instructions said that they will not accept applicants who hold spots at other schools.
They already have. They meant like every other school that if somebody hits CTE elsewhere then they will not consider you.

Reactions: 1 users
For those that attended second look, was there any class “Accceptances” profile provided?

... %Age 23 and under / 24 and over
... Male / Female
... Average/median mcat and gpa
... Any housing options walkable to the school?

For those that attended second look, was there any class “Accceptances” profile provided?

... %Age 23 and under / 24 and over
... Male / Female
... Average/median mcat and gpa
... Any housing options walkable to the school?

per AMCAS, schools can’t release this info until the end of the cycle (so September, basically). Lots of apartment complexes in Old Pas

per AMCAS, schools can’t release this info until the end of the cycle (so September, basically). Lots of apartment complexes in Old Pas
Interesting about end of cycle. One of the other schools included a report about Accepted students - number from each state etc.

Is Old Pasadena walking distance to the school?
Trying to figure out whether a car would be necessary before clinical curriculum starts?

Interesting about end of cycle. One of the other schools included a report about Accepted students - number from each state etc.

Trying to figure out whether a car would be necessary before clinical curriculum starts?
Not an accepted student, but from my understanding Kaiser starts clinical stuff in the first year and during my interview they said a car would be necessary

So I assume we are done with Kaiser. :(
I wouldn't say its over till May 30th, Kaiser's CTE. Even though someone gets in off the waitlist does not mean they will accept the offer!

I would definitely have a car. Clinical exposure starts in first year and none of the clinical sites are in Pasadena. Plus, LA in general is not very walkable or public transit friendly.

Does anyone have a rough estimate of the sGPA/MCAT scores of the students who have been accepted?

Are new M1’s planning on waiting to sign leases until more confident onsite first semester will happen?

Kaiser will start in-person with social distancing and mask-wearing as it’s only 48 students in a building for over 200 students. Possibly half in-person, half virtual.

Does anyone have a rough estimate of the sGPA/MCAT scores of the students who have been accepted?
No, that won’t be released till school starts most likely. The class has not officially formed yet. Kaiser’s CTE is 5/30

Goodluck to all those that finally commit to this school. I’ve lived in Pasadena for years and traffic is really really tough- get ready to sit in traffic more than you will be studying! Congratulations! But seriously, goodluck!

• Okay...
  • Hmm
ahaha free tuition and cost of living >> hours of traffic!
I’m a SoCal native leaving LA for med school but Agreed Im excited to have less traffic

• Haha
Awesome! I'm stoked for you!! We are on similar paths :) In my opinion, medical school is about learning and becoming the best version of yourself as a physician. I really don't think free tuition and housing affects that in any capacity. I mean, when was it ever about the money?? I think it should be way more about fit - is the school going to push me and have the specific focus to help me develop into the type of physician and provider I want to be.

Also, there is nothing free in life....if it seems free, the pendulum always swings the other way in other areas. No escaping that!

Awesome! I'm stoked for you!! We are on similar paths :) In my opinion, medical school is about learning and becoming the best version of yourself as a physician. I really don't think free tuition and housing affects that in any capacity. I mean, when was it ever about the money?? I think it should be way more about fit - is the school going to push me and have the specific focus to help me develop into the type of physician and provider I want to be.

Also, there is nothing free in life....if it seems free, the pendulum always swings the other way in other areas. No escaping that!
I certainly agree that medical school is about fit, but also the financial component certainly is an important one to consider. Ultimately financial freedom can be a means of reaching the autonomy required to specifically focus on the type of physician you want to be. We see so many examples of people turning away from primary care for example because the debts they've occurred are too large to comfortably pay in that career. Nothing in life is free, but you can position yourself so the cost is predictable. No need to fear taking something that benefits us in the short term as long as we've explored and agreed upon the terms of that mutually beneficial exchange.

Reactions: 2 users

Please recognize that you’re coming from a place of privilege to suggest that being 250k in debt is inconsequential or isn’t a factor that should be taken in to consideration when choosing a school. Also—there is much about KP that I’ve learned in the months after my acceptance that has cemented that it WILL push me to be the kind of physician I want to be. I’m not saying that means the same for you, but there’s a lot to be learned after an interview. I’m not quite sure how pointing out the perceived negatives in a school is helpful for your career.

Also, they’re giving us free ubers to our clinical sites so ‍:horns:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Goodluck to all those that finally commit to this school. I’ve lived in Pasadena for years and traffic is really really tough- get ready to sit in traffic more than you will be studying! Congratulations! But seriously, goodluck!

I'm a Los Angeles native and I agree that LA traffic is tough. But intra-Pasadena traffic isn't bad, and I've found a lot of reasonable housing in Pasadena that's <10 mins walk from the school. There are LIC locations that are spread throughout LA, but you don't need to bounce around hospitals because clerkships can be completed at one site. I suppose though if the hospital you are assigned to is particularly distant, you could study/listen to podcasts during the trip since ubers to and from clinical sites will be free. Overall it seems reasonable to me. UCLA/USC students face the same potential dilemma, and they seem to end up okay.

Reactions: 5 users

I agree. You should choose a medical school that is going to help shape you into the physician you want to be. I feel that way about Kaiser. I love their curriculum and what it has to offer. When I started the application cycle I had accepted that debt was a part of this life. It’s honestly a bonus that the perfect school for me is free for the first several years. And made me glad that I waited a year to apply because Kaiser is the perfect school for me.

Good luck where ever you are going!

Are we all done with Kaiser now? Wasn't CTE yesterday?

Are we all done with Kaiser now? Wasn't CTE yesterday?
Probably Not quite done, there was still lots of WL movement last week at top schools competiting for top candidates. It’s likely at least one Kaiser PTE stolen away.

Last edited: