2019-2020 Mt. Sinai (Icahn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HOPPING ON THAT R TRAIN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected just now. Seeing as they were my stretch school, I'm surprised it took them this long to give me that R.

Reactions: 1 user
Hatin’ on the KING bye cya NEVA

pre ii R

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know when the second look weekend will be?
Thursday March 5th - Saturday March 7th. Thursday will be for those who identify as underrepresented in medicine but the rest from Friday-Saturday is for all admitted students.

You got into Northwestern though didnt you + interviews at some top top places. You're good!
It’s still ok to be bummed about particular outcomes, particularly if people are trying to live in certain places. But yes.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You got into Northwestern though didnt you + interviews at some top top places. You're good!
yup im beyond grateful with how the cycle turned out. Almost all my friends live in NYC though, and a big chunk of my family is right outside the city, so I was really hoping for a chance here. that's life tho! :)

Reactions: 8 users
yup im beyond grateful with how the cycle turned out. Almost all my friends live in NYC though, and a big chunk of my family is right outside the city, so I was really hoping for a chance here. that's life tho! :)

Theoretically, would you have picked Sinai over NW?

• Hmm
any survivors out there? i know mine is coming so i'm just sitting at work scared rn.

Reactions: 11 users
Complete 7/23 and still standing. Come on Sinai, just destroy my fleeting dreams of studying in NYC already...

Reactions: 13 users
rip a lot of people who were complete the same day as me got Rs. I still have heard back from over half the schools I applied to. Idk if this means I should have hope or

Anyone that previously interviewed care to PM me their thoughts on the school?

Northwestern has much greater reputation as an overall university.
Sure, but the only reputation that should really matter is reputation within the medical community.

Mayo doesn’t even have an overall university, and that seems to work out fine!

Reactions: 6 users
Sure, but the only reputation that should really matter is reputation within the medical community.

Mayo doesn’t even have an overall university, and that seems to work out fine!
For what it's worth, neither does Mt. Sinai!!!

If they are the same how do you choose?

I know this was probably a sarcastic response, but I'll bite. Location, curriculum (P/F, 1.5 vs 2 year preclinical, PBL vs lecture, mandatory attendance), cost of attendance, fit, and/or specific opportunities or programs related to your career interests .

I would personally rate curriculum and COA over location, but I could understand how location (distance from family/SO) could be a bigger factor for others.

location. i guess.
I know this was probably a sarcastic response, but I'll bite. Location, curriculum (P/F, 1.5 vs 2 year preclinical, PBL vs lecture, mandatory attendance), cost of attendance, fit, and/or specific opportunities or programs related to your career interests .

I would personally rate curriculum and COA over location, but I could understand how location (distance from family/SO) could be a bigger factor for others.
These are all factors that weigh heavily on decision making. 19 equals 19 does not really work and so X is same as Y does not work. In some cases people choose 75 instead of 19 based on what has the most weight in these factors. A significant other not able to move or being able to stay home and save 20k per year can override everything else in some cases.

These are all factors that weigh heavily on decision making. 19 equals 19 does not really work and so X is same as Y does not work. In some cases people choose 75 instead of 19 based on what has the most weight in these factors. A significant other not able to move or being able to stay home and save 20k per year can override everything else in some cases.
tbh, ranking outside the traditional powerhouses (t20) is meaningless.

tbh, ranking outside the traditional powerhouses (t20) is meaningless.
Ranking inside too. Schools like UT Houston do a lot better job of getting students into the specialties while top 20 are obsessed about getting into each other for residencies and lose out on what they actually want to do because they are all fighting for the same spots.

Ranking inside too. Schools like UT Houston do a lot better job of getting students into the specialties while top 20 are obsessed about getting into each other for residencies and lose out on what they actually want to do because they are all fighting for the same spots.
Match lists don’t tell you how much legwork required to get there.

Is Sinai a t20? Asking for a friend

• Inappropriate
You realize top schools have the highest rate of match for their first and top 3 choices...

Saying students at top schools “lose out on what they want to do” is incredibly reductive and shallow.

Residency match honestly just has to do with your step score and how qualified you are. Any decent medical school can get you into the residency you want- if you work hard enough. The reputation of your school doesn’t make or break you, it really just gives you validation (which is not a bad thing)

• Haha
You realize top schools have the highest rate of match for their first and top 3 choices...

Saying students at top schools “lose out on what they want to do” is incredibly reductive and shallow.
Shallow? Is everyone attending a top school going into great specialties? All schools have to rank their students and only so many get into the specialties or residencies they really might be interested in. Many of them do settle for what they can get into in the end same as most other schools.

• Dislike
Shallow? Is everyone attending a top school going into great specialties? All schools have to rank their students and only so many get into the specialties or residencies they really might be interested in. Many of them do settle for what they can get into in the end same as most other schools.

That’s patently false. You have no idea why people choose the specialties that they do.A lot of them don’t have internal ranking... convince yourself of whatever you want, if it makes you feel better. This is derailing the thread too much. If you feel so strongly, make a post about it.

Got an II earlier today! Complete 9/14. Dates were 2/12, 2/13, and 2/14. Whoop whoop!

Reactions: 7 users