2019-2020 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't worry. I am High stat and still have not received. They are probably just rolling through them manually.
I guess my thought is I was AMCAS verified on 6/3, so I would think I was in the first wave of manual review. Idk.

Members don't see this ad.

"I grew up next to your school. It sucked. love me."

Edit: Is joke. But isn't UCLA Med school in the belaire area? is that disadvantaged?
More like "I got a degree from your school. Don't you want me again?" & No I'm a bit further out from snazzy Beverly Hills, but I don't think my hometown is considered disadvantaged.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry. I am High stat and still have not received. They are probably just rolling through them manually.
High stat + memelord? You're living the good life.

Secondary ~30 minutes ago—seems like they are sending it out in waves based off stats? Verified 6/5.

Prompts:
MD:
1. Describe your involvement in the one most important non-academic activity in your life. (800 char)
2. What has been the one most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated? (800 char)
3. What has been the one most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful? (800 char)
4. Has there been or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree (baccalaureate or other degrees post baccalaureate) and the expected time of medical school matriculation? (300 char to explain if yes)
5. What is the one most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important? (300 char)
6. What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor. (300 char)
7. Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (500 char)
8. Please list any major paid work experience during or since college. (4000 characrers per work experience)
9. Is there any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? (500 char)
10. Where do you see yourself post-graduate education? What experiences have led you to this goal? (500 char)

MSTP:
1. What are your specific areas of interest at UCLA (Simply list names of faculty at UCLA whose work is of interest) (4000 char)
2. What are your specific areas of interest at Caltech (Simply list names of faculty at Caltech whose work is of interest) (4000 char)
3. For each research experience, please list the following (4000 characters each):
  • PI of Lab
  • Name of direct supervisor
  • Institution
  • Start Date
  • End Date
  • Role in Lab (e.g. paid/volunteer research position. Please include the total number of hours for each project after each description)
4. Statement of Purpose (Please discuss your motivation for pursuing an MD PhD) (4000 char)
5. Personal Comments (Is there anything that you would like for us to considered when reviewing your MSTP application) (4000 char)

Reactions: 8 users
MSTP folk, how are you filling out the "How do you plan to finance your medical education" question? Scholarship? Work?

For the research experience section how in depth do you think we need to go? I feel like this was all covered in the significant research experience essay. How would you fill out start/end date if your time in the lab was split into two summers?

For the personal comments section is anyone else planning on using this as a "Why UCLA" essay?

Last edited:
Rip I didn't get anything. Do the UCs every screen out due to being OOS?
The only UC’s that really favor IS that I know of is UCR (0% OOS) and UCD. Pretty sure both UCSF and UCLA give no preference at all to IS

Same here, still nothing. Verified 6/4, 3.65/3.97/521...so I don't think it is due to stats...

Verified 5/31, good stats, no secondary yet. But I'm a reapplicant, and I'm not sure how UCLA views reapps.

Members don't see this ad :)
MSTP folk, how are you filling out the "How do you plan to finance your medical education" question? Scholarship? Work?

For the research experience section how in depth do you think we need to go? I feel like this was all covered in the significant research experience essay. How would you fill out start/end date if your time in the lab was split into two summers?

For the personal comments section is anyone else planning on using this as a "Why UCLA" essay?
I was planning on clicking "scholarship" since we're on a stipend for the duration.

Anyone have any advice for answering both the most important non-academic activity and most important volunteering prompts? Mine are both the same (wildlife rehab volunteering), so I am not sure how best to tackle deciding which prompt I should use it for.

In one sense, I want to list it as my most important activity, but then if it was not also mentioned as my most important volunteering experience, it would not really make sense. On the other side, I really have few options for the most important activity prompt. The best of which are different volunteering experiences, which, in a similarly circular way, would be weird to list as my most important activity but not as my most important volunteering.

Has anyone else felt this issue? Could I just use wildlife rehab as the answer to both and answer it in different ways?

Anyone have any advice for answering both the most important non-academic activity and most important volunteering prompts? Mine are both the same (wildlife rehab volunteering), so I am not sure how best to tackle deciding which prompt I should use it for.

In one sense, I want to list it as my most important activity, but then if it was not also mentioned as my most important volunteering experience, it would not really make sense. On the other side, I really have few options for the most important activity prompt. The best of which are different volunteering experiences, which, in a similarly circular way, would be weird to list as my most important activity but not as my most important volunteering.

Has anyone else felt this issue? Could I just use wildlife rehab as the answer to both and answer it in different ways?
Legit answer - would change your volunteering activity to a people thing

How do I talk about the same activities listed on my AMCAS application without being repetitive?
For, "What has been the one most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?" I want to talk about an activity I already described on the AMCAS.

How do I talk about the same activities listed on my AMCAS application without being repetitive?
For, "What has been the one most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?" I want to talk about an activity I already described on the AMCAS.
Pick an anecdote from it you didn’t cover

Reactions: 1 users

The secondary asks which volunteering activity you find most meaningful and I designated one of my volunteering activities most meaningful on the primary. :unsure:

I just rephrased it a little. They asked a question I felt I already answered. Oh well.

For the question that asks about work experience, is that implying only paid? Do I talk about my job in the film industry during high school?

Secondary received, OOS. My sGPA is below that 3.4 cutoff, for anyone curious.

Reactions: 4 users
are they only sending secondaries to verified people right now?

Secondary just now. OOS reapplicant.

The secondary asks which volunteering activity you find most meaningful and I designated one of my volunteering activities most meaningful on the primary. :unsure:

I just rephrased it a little. They asked a question I felt I already answered. Oh well.
I hate when schools ask the same questions we have already answered in our AMCAS app.

"What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give the number of hours, dates and advisor."
Can I talk about an experiment I conducted in my one of my lab classes for my final project? Also, how am I supposed to answer this in 300 characters?

Just received the secondary! MCAT is below 512 so they must not have put that proposal into action! Also I’m IS and verified 6/25

"What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give the number of hours, dates and advisor."
Can I talk about an experiment I conducted in my one of my lab classes for my final project? Also, how am I supposed to answer this in 300 characters?

300 characters was quite short! I basically described the thesis of my project, then said start and end dates and who my PI was.

"Is there any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application?"
do i just repaste my disadvantaged statement for this? or expand or focus on a part of it?

About "10. Where do you see yourself post-graduate education? What experiences have led you to this goal? (500 char)"

Are they asking about post undergraduate eduation? If so, then I obviously see myself in Med school. Or are they asking about post medical school education?

About "10. Where do you see yourself post-graduate education? What experiences have led you to this goal? (500 char)"

Are they asking about post undergraduate eduation? If so, then I obviously see myself in Med school. Or are they asking about post medical school education?

Post med school

No, they are talking post graduate not post undergraduate. That is why they say post graduate... Basically, where would you like to be in 10 years.

Are anybody else's Letters of Recommendations not appearing in document status?

For the "great honor" question, since it is under Scholastic Activities, does it need to be academic in nature or specifically research?

I was thinking of writing about my interaction with one of my students when I was a TA.

For the "great honor" question, since it is under Scholastic Activities, does it need to be academic in nature or specifically research?

I was thinking of writing about my interaction with one of my students when I was a TA.
I think it can be non academic if it is a formal award or recognition of some sort

Is the competencies link working for anyone (it's on the Scholastic Achievement tab), I want to see what their policy is on Spanish - can we put no for that or is it required that we had taken one year in college?

Competencies link: http://medschool.ucla.edu/apply-prerequisites
Nothing required about Spanish on that page.

Hopefully no Spanish required. All I remember how to say is “Hi, I am Sam. I need to take your blood for some tests. What is your name and birthday?”

Didn’t get an award :/
Then I would not recommend that activity. Biology department mini grant? 100 meter third place? Library elected book representative? Anything when you have been honored or recognized for something outside of deans list?

I was honestly starting to write about my dad giving me a "world's best son" coffee mug for my birthday. I've never won or been honored for anything in my life

I was honestly starting to write about my dad giving me a "world's best son" coffee mug for my birthday. I've never won or been honored for anything in my life
Talent show...? Costume contest? Deans list? Making the soccer team?

Last edited by a moderator:
Talent show...? Costume contest? Deans list? Making the soccer team?

If I didn’t have all of my military awards then it would be winning the local bar talent show....No greater honor than 200 drunk people telling you how creepy real your rendition of Sméagol segueing with Gollum is.
a ton of state-level high school athletic awards that don't particularly matter to me... and I suppose I won a freckle contest in 8th grade but that's literally the least interesting thing ever.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I'm also IS. I would go so far as to say.. in region (which I've heard might be a disadvantage).

Not a disadvantage, unless something changed and someone knows something I don't. At least up until this cycle, there has been no regional preference among our admissions, unless a candidate expressed a reason to NOT want to come to LA/CA. As with all CA schools, the apparent skew of students towards CA residents/CA undergrads is really just mostly due to disproportionate % people who have lived in CA wanting to stay in CA, not because our admissions looks at your birth place to decide whether to accept/waitlist/reject.

a ton of state-level high school athletic awards that don't particularly matter to me... and I suppose I won a freckle contest in 8th grade but that's literally the least interesting thing ever.
Freckles are cute. Kill it with that freckles essay.

Then I would not recommend that activity. Biology department mini grant? 100 meter third place? Library elected book representative? Anything when you have been honored or recognized for something outside of deans list?

Yeah I have some of those, though they don’t really mean as much the one anecdote I was thinking about. Gotta play the game, I guess.