2019-2020 Arizona - Tucson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Arizona - Tucson

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you know?

I am a re-applicant and I went to one of their re-applicant consultations a couple of weeks ago to get some advice and feedback from admissions. So the admissions coordinator I talked to told me that the secondaries will not change from last year.

Reactions: 3 users
I am a re-applicant and I went to one of their re-applicant consultations a couple of weeks ago to get some advice and feedback from admissions. So the admissions coordinator I talked to told me that the secondaries will not change from last year.
Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: 1 user
  1. Please share a meaningful experience you have had working or volunteering in the health professional field or a time in your past in which you were responsible for the care and well-being of someone else. What did you learn from this as it relates to becoming a physician?
    (Limit: 350 words)

2. Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something other than an academic experience. How did you confront the failure and what did you learn from it? Please describe how you typically approach challenges that you face in your life.

3. "The mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine Office of Admissions is to select a diverse cohort of students who will become the future leaders in advancing health care to the distinct communities that comprise Arizona and the United States. Consistent with the mission of The University of Arizona College of Medicine, selection of individuals with a demonstrated commitment to serve as care providers, physician scientists, clinical leaders, medical educators and/or public health experts, including advocates for rural and urban underserved populations, is highly valued. Applicants seeking admission should exhibit qualities of altruism, academic excellence, leadership and dedication to becoming lifelong learners through research endeavors and academic development."

Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the College of Medicine to achieve its mission.

4. Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession.

5. Re-applicant essay 350
(so you don't have to go back to the older threads lol)

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone! I was recently accepted this past cycle so if anyone on here has any questions about the process, don't hesitate to ask! Good luck!

Hey everyone! I was recently accepted this past cycle so if anyone on here has any questions about the process, don't hesitate to ask! Good luck!
Congrats on your acceptance! How frequently did admissions communicate with you after receiving your application? Are you going to do the Bridge program? What did you like most about the school when you interviewed? Least? thanks!

Congrats on your acceptance! How frequently did admissions communicate with you after receiving your application? Are you going to do the Bridge program? What did you like most about the school when you interviewed? Least? thanks!
I think UA admissions does a great job keeping you informed. It’s a double edged sword though...If you’re selected to interview, you’ll get updates every time acceptances are sent out. I got about 4 of those darn emails and it’s heartbreaking but it at least keeps you up to date.

As for the bridge program, I hear it’s beneficial but I have no interest in it. I’d like to enjoy my summer before school and thank goodness I don’t have to go to commissioned officer training this month (USAF HPSP).

As for the school, I really got the feeling that admins really care about the students and the camaraderie among students was pretty obvious. Tucson is also my home town so that in itself is super attractive since I have been living in Phoenix for the last 6 and a half years.

I don’t think I’d say I had any dislikes of the school. I personally am not a huge fan of MMIs so that kind of sucked since you have to make so many first impressions and can’t really get an in depth conversation going. However, that’s a personal opinion. They do their best to calm nerves and the catered Mexican lunch you get is enough to motivate you to crush those secondaries and personal statements lol.

Reactions: 3 users
It looks like they updated the pre-reqs on their website but it looks like it will be for the next cycle but I just wanted some clarification to what it means by "The 2019-2020 Application cycle will serve as a phase in for the new pre-requisites."

It looks like they updated the pre-reqs on their website but it looks like it will be for the next cycle but I just wanted some clarification to what it means by "The 2019-2020 Application cycle will serve as a phase in for the new pre-requisites."
i called them a few weeks back and they said the new requirements aren't needed for this cycle! you can have all or none of them they don't care

Reactions: 1 users
It sounds like they won't hold it against us, but might give a slight preference those that have them.

Anybody know if it is advisable to apply here as a CA Resident with NO ties to AZ? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know if it is advisable to apply here as a CA Resident with NO ties to AZ? :)
UofA is friendlier to out of state applicants than most state schools. It might be tough with no AZ ties, but not impossible. According to their admissions website, 26% of their class are non residents. I doubt that’s from the last cycle though.

This is from UA Phoenix and a little dated, but likely has some benefit. infographic is a little dated (2014-2017 averages) it shows 145 avg acceptances, 34 from California, 29 from other OOS. Granted those 34 accepts come from 1572 avg applicants and 90 interviews from CA, so... As for Tucson, 26% (31 people) OOS from a dozen states. Likely that California fills a large portion of those OOS, but also a lot of apps from there.

This is from UA Phoenix and a little dated, but likely has some benefit. infographic is a little dated (2014-2017 averages) it shows 145 avg acceptances, 34 from California, 29 from other OOS. Granted those 34 accepts come from 1572 avg applicants and 90 interviews from CA, so... As for Tucson, 26% (31 people) OOS from a dozen states. Likely that California fills a large portion of those OOS, but also a lot of apps from there.

It would be nice if they had the stats for "OOS, but with ties to the state"

It would be nice if they had the stats for "OOS, but with ties to the state"

That would be great, but then you would be stuck wondering what the strength of the ties were - lived there for 10 years vs family member currently lives there and I visit.

I think the average OOS for public schools is around 20%, however that is probably a bit high due to states that give preference to neighboring states (WWAMI). With UA at 26%, I think they are more friendly. If I had to put a number of strong OOS ties at any given public school I would say 10%, but that is a guess based solely on looking at MSAR data.

Being an analytical person, I wish AAMC would give us access to more data or at least a better method of sorting /setting data points.

""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott" - FutureDocAZ19

Secondary received! Same prompts as posted above

Anyone else unable to submit? The payment page is not working for me
I haven't been able to submit payment either. I emailed them. Safe assumption that this is an error on their side.

Edit: Just got a response, they know about the issue and are working on it.

Added UA to my list of schools at around 12:30 Eastern today. Secondary received same day at 4 pm!

Does anyone have a secondary they'd like reviewed/read over? I would be happy to help! I am not done with my secondary yet but will be in need of a reviewer in a day or two.

Does anyone have a secondary they'd like reviewed/read over? I would be happy to help! I am not done with my secondary yet but will be in need of a reviewer in a day or two.
I’d love to trade!

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this yet, but U of A has started tracking this cycle's applications! Admissions | College of Medicine - Tucson

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Secondary received and submitted! Fingers crossed!

@UAZ COM-T Admissions Would you mind confirming whether or not complete secondary application files can be reviewed before letters of recommendation are received? I would assume not, but the language on the email and on the portal make it seem like maybe they might be. (My committee letter should be uploaded shortly regardless, but am just curious!)

Last edited:
Do you guys think that tracker tracks primary applications submitted or secondary applications submitted.

@UAZ COM-T Admissions Would you mind confirming whether or not complete secondary application files can be reviewed before letters of recommendation are received? I would assume not, but the language on the email and on the portal make it seem like maybe they might be. (My committee letter should be uploaded shortly regardless, but am just curious!)

Hello- COM Tucson here. The letters of recommendation are due 11/15 or the day before your interview (if you are selected for an interview).

Reactions: 2 users
Can some explain what exactly is this question asking us?

"The mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine Office of Admissions is to select a diverse cohort of students who will become the future leaders in advancing health care to the distinct communities that comprise Arizona and the United States. Consistent with the mission of The University of Arizona College of Medicine, selection of individuals with a demonstrated commitment to serve as care providers, physician scientists, clinical leaders, medical educators and/or public health experts, including advocates for rural and urban underserved populations, is highly valued. Applicants seeking admission should exhibit qualities of altruism, academic excellence, leadership and dedication to becoming lifelong learners through research endeavors and academic development."

Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the College of Medicine to achieve its mission.

Can some explain what exactly is this question asking us?

"The mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine Office of Admissions is to select a diverse cohort of students who will become the future leaders in advancing health care to the distinct communities that comprise Arizona and the United States. Consistent with the mission of The University of Arizona College of Medicine, selection of individuals with a demonstrated commitment to serve as care providers, physician scientists, clinical leaders, medical educators and/or public health experts, including advocates for rural and urban underserved populations, is highly valued. Applicants seeking admission should exhibit qualities of altruism, academic excellence, leadership and dedication to becoming lifelong learners through research endeavors and academic development."

I'm not sure if it's correct but I approached it by kind talking about my experiences where I've learned/shown altruism, academic excellence, leadership, etc

Having trouble submitting payment, I got "500 error". I received an email confirmation receipt that payment went through. But the secondary app isn't showing "fee received". :\

How is academic experience defined? Does this just mean like in classes or what? I was planning to write about getting rejected from REU programs and overcoming that failure for prompt 2. Do you think this counts as academic?

How is academic experience defined? Does this just mean like in classes or what? I was planning to write about getting rejected from REU programs and overcoming that failure for prompt 2. Do you think this counts as academic?
I’m not sure if that’s considered academic. I wrote about an experience I had working where I made a mistake at my job, and what followed afterwards.

for failed experiences, it says not academic related... does research count?

Submitted secondaries a while ago! Fingers crossed. Does anyone know when they start sending interviews?

Submitted secondaries a while ago! Fingers crossed. Does anyone know when they start sending interviews?
I'm surprised that they haven't started sending any yet since their website says interviews begin in August.