2019-2020 Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I asked for a different interview date and they were very flexible!

Reactions: 1 user
OOS R, LM=80. I really liked this school but greatly appreciate the early notification, it’s useful to know where I’m not wanted haha
Sorry about the R. Do you mind sharing your complete date?

Members don't see this ad :)
MSTP Rejected 9/23 OOS. Good luck everyone!
Hey sorry to hear about the big R on MSTP. I know we all don't know each other but with every R someone gets, I imagine the sting and can say that I don't wish it for anyone to go through everything we have all done and then be dismissed from a program you really like and are likely qualified for. I hope you get in somewhere!

Reactions: 2 users
Big R from here today! See ya never cheese town!

Hey sorry to hear about the big R on MSTP. I know we all don't know each other but with every R someone gets, I imagine the sting and can say that I don't wish it for anyone to go through everything we have all done and then be dismissed from a program you really like and are likely qualified for. I hope you get in somewhere!

Thanks for the warm thoughts! :) We're all going through it and it's a rough ride - all part of the journey to become fantastic doctors. Best wishes for everyone applying!

P.S. Thank you for your service!

Hello everyone, I was wondering does anyone know when the new curriculum (ForWard Curriculum) was implemented?

I’m interviewing here soon and was wondering if anyone could comment on interview day? Overall vibes? Any tips/advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the warm thoughts! :) We're all going through it and it's a rough ride - all part of the journey to become fantastic doctors. Best wishes for everyone applying!

P.S. Thank you for your service!
Thanks for the support! It’s sure nerve-racking to see everyone getting IIs and Rs and me just sitting here in ghost land. Of course, I’m I only completed my secondaries in about the third week of Sept and CASPer STILL isn’t scored, so I know it’s just that I haven’t been looked at yet, but it definitely still feels like sitting on the sidelines! Good luck!

I’m interviewing here soon and was wondering if anyone could comment on interview day? Overall vibes? Any tips/advice?

Hi! I interviewed at UW last year and was accepted to the MD-MPH dual degree program. I'm doing MPH first so I'll be an M1 at UW next year. The interview is really laid back. There's a one-on-one interview with a faculty member where they have access to all of the written materials from your application and it seems like most interviewers have looked through them pretty thoroughly. I was asked to elaborate or comment on some of my experiences and the interviewer asked some more general personal questions about why I was interested in UW. You may just want to review all your written materials so nothing catches you off guard (I didn't do this and the interview was still fine but I know it's tough to keep everything that you mention in every application organized mentally). There's also a group "interview" proctored by current students that was more of a group exercise where you have to solve a problem. My group got done quickly so we got to ask the current students questions about the program and life in Madison. Overall the day is pretty chill compared to interviewing at other places - I never felt like I was getting grilled. They tell you a lot about the program and what to expect and give plenty of opportunities to talk to students and ask questions.

Hope this helps! Good luck at your interview!

• Love
Hi! I interviewed at UW last year and was accepted to the MD-MPH dual degree program. I'm doing MPH first so I'll be an M1 at UW next year. The interview is really laid back. There's a one-on-one interview with a faculty member where they have access to all of the written materials from your application and it seems like most interviewers have looked through them pretty thoroughly. I was asked to elaborate or comment on some of my experiences and the interviewer asked some more general personal questions about why I was interested in UW. You may just want to review all your written materials so nothing catches you off guard (I didn't do this and the interview was still fine but I know it's tough to keep everything that you mention in every application organized mentally). There's also a group "interview" proctored by current students that was more of a group exercise where you have to solve a problem. My group got done quickly so we got to ask the current students questions about the program and life in Madison. Overall the day is pretty chill compared to interviewing at other places - I never felt like I was getting grilled. They tell you a lot about the program and what to expect and give plenty of opportunities to talk to students and ask questions.

This was so insightful! Thank you! I'm excited to visit and learn more about UW.

Hi! I am interested in the MD-MPH program and hoping for an II from UW. Can you talk more about the dual degree and the expectations they have for it?

Hi! I am interested in the MD-MPH program and hoping for an II from UW. Can you talk more about the dual degree and the expectations they have for it?

Sure! For the MD-MPH dual degree, there are now two options for completing the MPH courses. You can do MPH courses before MD courses which is what I'm doing right now. It's a busy schedule- the classes aren't all super challenging, but with the accelerated schedule I'm taking 16 credits and it's a lot to keep track of. It has really forced me to manage my time wisely which I know will come in handy for MD courses next year. I chose to do MPH first because I had been out of school for 3 years and MPH is a good transition to getting back into a school routine before taking on the rigors of med school. There is also the option of doing the MPH between classroom and clinical years - there are a few students who have completed the M3 year who are doing MPH right now.

Either way you do it is fine and totally a personal preference. The school makes it pretty easy to do the dual degree program with a lot of support and resources. But even if you choose not to do the dual degree, there is still the opportunity to do a public health emphasis in the MD program or there are residencies/fellowships that can incorporate an MPH (there are a few MPH students who are also completing their residencies). The timing of doing MPH pre-M1 worked out best for me and I want to mention that there are scholarships and TA/PA positions that can help with tuition for the MPH year. If you get into UW they have a session at Second Look Day that goes through more info on the program, which is what ultimately sold me on it.

Any WARM applicants hear back yet? Either invites or regular admission difference?

IS WARM applicant here. Still have yet to hear anything back, but expecting news this week based on past forum timelines. Will keep you updated!

WARM interview invite just now!

Reactions: 3 users
When does interview day end? My interview is scheduled for 8am this Friday.

What would make UW consider taking an OOS applicant? Is a relative who teaches there good enough?
Sadly, I don’t think that’s going to help as an OOS. UW is like Texas schools; they have an extremely high in-state bias. Unless you have something outstanding or belong to certain groups of students they are looking for, it’s normally advisable to not apply here as an OOS. But if you have the money to spend, then shoot your shot if you really want to go there.

II ! OOS with zero ties to Wisconsin. Maybe they felt bad for the premature rejection

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Premature rejection? So they rejected you and now sent you an II?
I got a rejection and subsequent apology email over a month ago stating I was still being considered. Today, I received an II. Literally anything is possible!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if admissions are receptive to ITA? I am heading there in little over a month to visit family but flights from where I live are +$500 something I can't afford to do again...would be nice to be able to schedule an interview at the same time I am already there...

II received this morning! OOS (from Michigan), LM >70, submitted 8/9. Surprised by this one but I love the culture at UW and can't wait to see it in person. Anybody here interviewing on 11/1 going to the informal social gathering the night before?

• Wow
II received this morning! OOS (from Michigan), LM >70, submitted 8/9. Surprised by this one but I love the culture at UW and can't wait to see it in person. Anybody here interviewing on 11/1 going to the informal social gathering the night before?

the culture at UW is great! So chill and warm. Coming from a Californian that interviewed yesterday

Anyone get an acceptance call yet? I'm so anxious and as the day goes by I'm more nervous bad news is coming.

Anyone get an acceptance call yet? I'm so anxious and as the day goes by I'm more nervous bad news is coming.
I interviewed 9/27 and haven’t heard anything yet. I wouldn’t worry too much, they might not send out anything until later this week.

I interviewed 9/20 and haven't heard anything. At the end of our day, the adcoms said most of us won't hear back the first day. Also feeling anxious though!

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Is it just me or do they seem a little behind this year?

I was IS complete on August 17th and I just got an interview today, so there's definitely still hope!

(edited to include exact completion date)

Last edited: