2019-2020 Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry this turned out to be a much longer post than I intended but more importantly I hope it clears any confusion you had.
TLDR: Grading is not complicated once you actually start to get assignments and you will perform well if you simply do the work.

Hey,
I was perusing the page and noticed that no one had provided you with a satisfactory answer to your question, but I will try. I can only speak to the Pre-Clinical (Phase 1) since I am only an M1 but if you would like more information about the latter blocks then I can seek it out for you as well.

So here we go:

The first block of Phase 1 titled Patients, Professionalism, and Public Health (or PPP) is purely Pass / Fail. Passing the block was determined by displaying competence in the 3 core components which were Medical knowledge; Clinical Skills; and Professionalism. Competency in the Medical Knowledge component of the course required scoring >=75% on all the assessments combined. Grading of your Clinical Skills is more complicated and probably beyond the scope of what you should be concerned about at this stage. Lastly Professionalism should be the easiest portion to get full credit for if you turn in all your assignments and show up to required events. This is the shortest block only spanning 4 weeks.

The second block of Phase 1 titled Body in Balance (or BiB) was assessed a little differently which might have been the reason for some of the confusion among my peers on your interview day.

In BiB, and in every other block of Phase 1 barring PPP above, there are 2 different grading systems used.

The first grading sysyem is used to determine Pass / Fail and is conceptually very similar to PPP above except BiB is the longest block of Phase 1 spanning 14 weeks so there are going to be a lot more assignments determining your grade.

The second grading system is used to determine your comparative performance for the block i.e. your class rank. Determination of your class rank will take into consideration the following components:

1- Professionalism points (you start out with the max and can only lose them by not showing up to required events, turning in assignments or other reasons deemed to be unprofessional);

2- Readiness Quizzes (Audience Response) which are mostly during the Anatomy Dissections and Medium Group sessions. Understanding these can be confusing for some. They are considered "No risk, High reward" as getting all of them wrong across the entire block will not harm you but getting all of them right will help you by lowering the weight of your final NBME exam by 5%. Getting 1/2 of them right will lower the weight of your NBME exam by 2.5% at the end of the block and so forth;

3- Weekly quizzes. These are typically opened up at the end of the week and count as their own entity i.e. They are not the same as the readiness quizzes above. Weekly quizzes also do not affect your final NBME exam weighting;

4- Midterms, OSCEs, and Final NBME. These all affect your final grade as well but affect your rank given your relative performance to the rest of the class. For individual mid-terms, a 75% on the exam is an automatic pass. Otherwise scores within 2 Standard Deviations of the mean are also considered a pass on an individual exam. You might wonder what happens if the final class average is a 75%. Well that does not mean that half of the class will fail. What it might mean is that the exam was more difficult than anticipated and the necessary adjustments will be made by the course directors.

A person averaging 76% on their exams and a person averaging 93% on their exams are both passing and provided they are not losing professionalism points could both be proud of their performance, but of course the former would have a lower cumulative comparative performance score than the latter. A few folks will care more about their class rank than most do but this should be expected. Individual goals will be at play here.

I realise that it is a long winded answer and I am sure I could make more concise if I went through it but I am getting hungry now and should probably go eat :)

Happy Holidays,

Nip12

thanks a ton this was by far the most comprehensive explanation.

Although I will say that this nature of not being true pass/fail is a Major con. Definitely makes me want to consider other options if I am to have them come April.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
thanks a ton this was by far the most comprehensive explanation.

Although I will say that this nature of not being true pass/fail is a Major con. Definitely makes me want to consider other options if I am to have them come April.

I weighed all my options very very carefully before choosing to come here so yeah I totally understand. That said, if the decision is agonising come April and the Rank vs No Rank is what it comes down to, I’ll just ask you to trust me that it’s not as big a deal as it might sound at the outset especially if there’s something else you really liked about our program. This was emphasised by all the upper class men I spoke to but I only really got what they meant as I progressed through school.

In fact, while I can tell you that I’m doing well in school, I only really started to hit my groove once I matured enough to trust my own process and not look over my shoulder to what other people are doing. I give everything the best I can and anything more I’ll leave to happenstance. I call it “Doin’ ma own thing”.

Lastly I must state that I really like it here but I know you’ll get a good education most everywhere you go so consider all things (distance from family, curriculum, opportunities to get involved, research, near-by city, cost etc. ) and listen to your gut as well when decision time comes.

-Nip12

Reactions: 2 users
Are there any WARM applicants accepted/current students that have heard anything about scholarships? Being that we get notified by mail rather than phone I'm curious to know when we might hear about any possible scholarships, how we find out (phone, email, etc), or how much might be typical for a WARM student (if any)?

These questions are definitely for the regular MD students too if anybody is willing to share what they know, particularly if you have an idea of when Madison typically decides on scholarships. Thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any WARM applicants accepted/current students that have heard anything about scholarships? Being that we get notified by mail rather than phone I'm curious to know when we might hear about any possible scholarships, how we find out (phone, email, etc), or how much might be typical for a WARM student (if any)?

These questions are definitely for the regular MD students too if anybody is willing to share what they know, particularly if you have an idea of when Madison typically decides on scholarships. Thanks!

Was offered a scholarship (a small amount) with my acceptance letter.

previous SDN threads (2018) had a few people who a) were offered scholarships in late March and April and b) had a few people who’s scholarship was increased (also in March and April) from what they were offered with their acceptance letter

edit: I am regular MD just so there’s no confusion

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Based on the timeline I was given at my interview I was expecting to hear back by 12/20/19. I called yesterday to check on the status of my application and was told I could expect something in the next week but that they were behind schedule. I hope this is helpful info for someone!

And...waitlisted today. Trying to stay positive and not give up hope!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Interviewed 11/15

Reactions: 6 users
II this morning!
Complete on 9/7, and OOS applicant.

For anyone who interviewed, is this "group activity" generally relaxed? Should we know anything about it and prepare. Or just go in blind.

For anyone who interviewed, is this "group activity" generally relaxed? Should we know anything about it and prepare. Or just go in blind.
The group activity is so relaxed. You go in a room with 2 other applicants, and current medical students evaluate you. They said they are just evaluating to make sure you can play nice essentially. So don’t talk over others and include everyone and you’ll be fine!

The group activity is so relaxed. You go in a room with 2 other applicants, and current medical students evaluate you. They said they are just evaluating to make sure you can play nice essentially. So don’t talk over others and include everyone and you’ll be fine!
That sounds pretty relaxed, but what do you talk about? Or is it about literally anything? As in is it basically an evaluated lunch type of thing?

That sounds pretty relaxed, but what do you talk about? Or is it about literally anything? As in is it basically an evaluated lunch type of thing?
No, it is a planned activity where you work together. It is very straight forward and no reason to stress!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Question for those who have already interviewed: is the Diversity Breakfast specifically intended for minority applicants or is it typically attended by everyone interviewing?

Question for those who have already interviewed: is the Diversity Breakfast specifically intended for minority applicants or is it typically attended by everyone interviewing?
Anyone can attend-- a good chunk of people from my day attended (Both ORM & URM & everything in between haha) but not a majority of the interviewees (maybe like 30-40% attended).

Anyone can attend-- a good chunk of people from my day attended (Both ORM & URM & everything in between haha) but not a majority of the interviewees (maybe like 30-40% attended).
Oh really? i would think most interviewee’s would attend. I’ll most likely be going to the dinner and the breakfast

Oh really? i would think most interviewee’s would attend. I’ll most likely be going to the dinner and the breakfast

Eh it’s optional and had an RSVP option embedded in the email. I for one didn’t see you had to RSVP on the email because i didn’t read it closely haha so didnt end up going, otherwise I probably would’ve!

Eh it’s optional and had an RSVP option embedded in the email. I for one didn’t see you had to RSVP on the email because i didn’t read it closely haha so didnt end up going, otherwise I probably would’ve!
Oh wow, I didn’t even notice that. LOL I’ll make sure to RSVP. But yeah it is optional and not necessary. I definitely want to go to the dinner though, that sounds fun.

Can any current MD/PhD student or current applicant message me? I have a question I'd like to discuss outside the public form.

Im pretty sure it's supposed to be for specific minorities but you get everyone attending which isn't bad but I honestly did not feel comfortable asking questions specifically about certain topics etc. As a queer person of color I felt off when the breakfast ended up being used to ask basic generic questions about the school.

Just received a call from UW. Accepted to the WARM program. Interviewed 11/22/19. This was a long time coming.

Reactions: 11 users
Interviewed 11/22 and just called admissions for the status of my application. They said that apps from my interview day will likely go to review by next week with decisions coming by the end of the month and at the worst beginning of February.

Accepted about an hour ago. Interviewed 11/15, IS

Reactions: 4 users
Do interviewees usually wear boots and coats to the interview? Should I be concerned about walking if I just wear regular professional shoes/Oxfords? Not used to interview attire for cold-weather places haha.

Do interviewees usually wear boots and coats to the interview? Should I be concerned about walking if I just wear regular professional shoes/Oxfords? Not used to interview attire for cold-weather places haha.
Everyone had thick coat on that they took off during check in. I don't remember anyone wearing boots. It's not that cold surprisingly (from cali) and I'd recommend a scarf and mittens. Check the weather the week before you go but doubt there is snow.

So. Midwest weather is the most unpredictable weather EVER. Definitely bring a winter coat; we've been having an unseasonably warm winter, but the high temps still range anywhere from 10-35F the last few weeks. I live in Madison and can tell you that the whole state got snow last weekend, and there is about 6in. (ish) on the ground. As of now the sidewalks are clear, but they're calling for rain next week, so it'll turn into a nice slushy mess.

Best suggestion: if you have boots, bring them. You don't necessarily have to wear them. Oxfords might be fine, if it's not raining/sleeting/snowing. Boots are also nice for ensuring the bottom of your pants don't get all wet. You won't go outside for a tour or anything as part of the interview. Sorry if my response is too late; good luck!

Last edited:
So. Midwest weather is the most unpredictable weather EVER. Definitely bring a winter coat; we've been having an unseasonably warm winter, but the high temps still range anywhere from 10-35F the last few weeks. I live in Madison and can tell you that the whole state got snow last weekend, and there is about 6in. (ish) on the ground. As of now the sidewalks are clear, but they're calling for rain next week, so it'll turn into a nice slushy mess.

Best suggestion: if you have boots, bring them. You don't necessarily have to wear them. Oxfords might be fine, if it's not raining/sleeting/snowing. Boots are also nice for ensuring the bottom of your pants don't get all wet. You won't go outside for a tour or anything as part of the interview. Sorry if my response is too late; good luck!

Thanks! Is it customary to wear boots during the interview? Isn't that a little informal or is it fine? Or did you mean wear boots before/after and wear typical professional shoes at the interview cause it's indoors.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Thanks! Is it customary to wear boots during the interview? Isn't that a little informal or is it fine? Or did you mean wear boots before/after and wear typical professional shoes at the interview cause it's indoors.

There is a nice locker/storage cabinet in the admissions office where interviewees keep their baggage/coats etc, I'd recommend bringing your winter boots/clothing and wearing it to your interview day, then changing into your formal attire once you have arrived if you are concerned about the weather. There is a fair bit of walking during UW's interview so you definitely don't want to be in winter boots all day! Hope this helps lol

I would just wear boots to the building and change before the interview. You put all of your stuff in a room at the beginning of the day, so you won't have to carry them around at all. Better than having wet/messy feet all day imo :)

Just got the acceptance call!!! Absolute dream. Wanted to be a Badger my entire life. IS/URM/Interviewed 11/22/19. Can't wait to be back for 2nd look day!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
late post but I got the waitlisted email 1/8 (interviewed 11/15) but then got the call that I got accepted last Thursday 1/23 and I cannot be more excited!

Reactions: 3 users
R, IS, interviewed 11/22. Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear

• Sad
Has anyone gotten additional scholarship offers from here after initial acceptance?

Has anyone gotten additional scholarship offers from here after initial acceptance?

Nope! I got the call but no email or anything regarding my acceptance or scholarship offers. Interviewed 11/22 OOS

Nope! I got the call but no email or anything regarding my acceptance or scholarship offers. Interviewed 11/22 OOS

Congratulations on your acceptance! When did you receive the call?

This is a real Hail Mary but does anyone who’s interviewing tomorrow have an extra tie. Yours truly forgot to bring his THREE from home and didn’t realize until he was unpacking for the night and realized it. I hightailed it to the nearby Walmart and they had none. As far as I know, no clothing stores are open by the time the interview is underway. I’m in a reeeeallly bad way right now as I’ve heard nothing yet from four other schools.

This is a real Hail Mary but does anyone who’s interviewing tomorrow have an extra tie. Yours truly forgot to bring his THREE from home and didn’t realize until he was unpacking for the night and realized it. I hightailed it to the nearby Walmart and they had none. As far as I know, no clothing stores are open by the time the interview is underway. I’m in a reeeeallly bad way right now as I’ve heard nothing yet from four other schools.

Hey man! Not sure if someone reached out yet but see if you can find a 24 hour Walgreens or CVS in the AM tomorrow. I ran into the same issue and finessed a tie that way.

Hey man! Not sure if someone reached out yet but see if you can find a 24 hour Walgreens or CVS in the AM tomorrow. I ran into the same issue and finessed a tie that way.

The Walgreens near me does not sell them. There is a Walgreens along the way that opens at 7 am but I doubt they may have them, but I’ll call. TheTarget near me opens at 8 am and that may be my best bet. I can make it just barely on time if I haul ass.... ugh, what a mess I made for myself.