2019-2020 Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected just now OOS. Extremely disappointed in UW given it appears they took my money and never actually reviewed my application. Given I paid the fee with the very base expectation that my file would at least be opened, I feel robbed.
What makes you say that?

Members don't see this ad.

What makes you say that?

Every school I've ever applied to made it a point to say that they at least looked at your application. It appears this school simply reached their OOS quota and threw the rest of the applications in the bin (given this email specifically calls out 'quota reached' as the reason for rejection). Past OOS rejected applicants to this school at least got an email that didn't imply their applications were simply thrown away as leftovers.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone who interviewed 10/25 hear back yet? I’m still waiting and don’t know if I should call admissions office or not

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone who interviewed 10/25 hear back yet? I’m still waiting and don’t know if I should call admissions office or not

Someone else who interviewed on 10/25 called the admissions office and posted the response in this chain about a week or so ago.

Post read “The admissions office said that they anticipate that I will hear back by the end of next week. They said that it was a little slower given the holidays and that was their best guess as far as timing! Good luck to everyone - hope this helps :)

I Interviewed 11/1 so hoping this is roughly true for me as well.

Hi, also 11/1 interviewee! I contacted the admissions office just now to get a sense of the timeline they were working with. So ideally, they said anyone who interviewed around 11/1 will hopefully/ideally hear by the end of next week. That's their goal. However, the person was kind enough to state that it might also take until the later weeks of December to hear back. They hope to have everything done by the start of the new year

LOL, moral of the call. IT'S THE HOLIDAYS EVERYBODY!!! CHILL OUT!! HAVE SOME FUN. It'll all work itself out

Reactions: 2 users
Also got the OOS R....but I thought I was IS? I self-identified as IS on the app and am 99.99999% sure I meet the requirements laid out in the referenced statute.

Sent them an email so we'll see, but I'm prepared for the worst. This is the worst rejection yet, WI is my home state :(
I had the same thing happen to me. I'm sending them an email, as well. Let me know what they tell you.

I had the same thing happen to me. I'm sending them an email, as well. Let me know what they tell you.

Updated earlier in the thread - it was a mistake and apparently happened to several IS people

LOL, moral of the call. IT'S THE HOLIDAYS EVERYBODY!!! CHILL OUT!! HAVE SOME FUN. It'll all work itself out
Thanks for updating us on what they told you! That definitely helps with figuring out their current timeline. I interviewed on 11/22 and they told us that they were confident they would have decisions out before Xmas for our group...LAWLZ.. Here's to hoping for an early holiday surprise!!

Does anyone know if the interviewers are ok with beards/facial hair as long as it’s properly groomed? I’ve been growing my hair out and I kind of don’t want to part with it. I’ve been to interviews with dudes sporting healthy beards but idk how this school is with beards on interview day.

Does anyone know if the interviewers are ok with beards/facial hair as long as it’s properly groomed? I’ve been growing my hair out and I kind of don’t want to part with it. I’ve been to interviews with dudes sporting healthy beards but idk how this school is with beards on interview day.
From my experience, as long as it's shaped, clean, and looks good on you, go for it man. It's a part of you. Dress it up and rock it!

Adjustments.JPG

Just got this email this morning, not sure if this is good or bad. IS, LM 71

Reactions: 1 users
View attachment 289158

Just an educated guess here, but that email reads like a very classy version of the "interview-hold" or "application hold/review" email schools send out. I received something similar from Arizona-Tucson a few months ago. Essentially your application came up during a recent committee meeting, although it didn't receive enough immediate votes to offer an interview, they liked it enough to want to come back and revisit it at a later date. Personally I think it's solid news! But again just my 2 cents I could be wrong lol hope that was helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 289158

Just an educated guess here, but that email reads like a very classy version of the "interview-hold" or "application hold/review" email schools send out. I received something similar from Arizona-Tucson a few months ago. Essentially your application came up during a recent committee meeting, although it didn't receive enough immediate votes to offer an interview, they liked it enough to want to come back and revisit it at a later date. Personally I think it's solid news! But again just my 2 cents I could be wrong lol hope that was helpful.

I second this - definitely seems analogous to the MCW small pool email.

Does UW send an email saying your application is complete? or update in the portal? My last LOR was submitted Dec. 1 but everything else was in earlier than that (honestly not by much though...)

For those who interviewed mid November (20-22), when are we expecting to hear back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does UW send an email saying your application is complete? or update in the portal? My last LOR was submitted Dec. 1 but everything else was in earlier than that (honestly not by much though...)
Yes, you should receive a complete email. In my case, I got the complete email on the day I submitted the secondary and paid the fee. The "status" section of the portal will have a checklist to check they received all of your materials.

For those who interviewed mid November (20-22), when are we expecting to hear back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Week before or after Christmas, admissions office mentioned that to me when I contacted them recently (interviewed the 22nd).

Sorry bit late reporting. II Nov 20th for an interview on Feb 14th

Still have not heard anything back since I completed my secondary on Aug 10th. Is there any hope or just a silent rejection?

Any clue if the admissions committee takes the weeks of the holidays off or if they still give out news sporadically around the actual holidays? I'm thinking if there was no answer today then it'll probably be at least 2 weeks for a response. Not sure what it's been like in the past.

Any clue if the admissions committee takes the weeks of the holidays off or if they still give out news sporadically around the actual holidays? I'm thinking if there was no answer today then it'll probably be at least 2 weeks for a response. Not sure what it's been like in the past.
Not sure entirely but in the admitted students fb page they posted the office will be closed on the 24th, 25th, 31st, and 1st and have “limited staff” the other days over the next two weeks if that helps!

Not sure entirely but in the admitted students fb page they posted the office will be closed on the 24th, 25th, 31st, and 1st and have “limited staff” the other days over the next two weeks if that helps!
That definitely helps give me a decent idea of the timeframe Thanks!

Week before or after Christmas, admissions office mentioned that to me when I contacted them recently (interviewed the 22nd).

Followed up on this with the office, mid-november interviewees won't hear back till early February. They are behind on decisions this year

• Wow
Followed up on this with the office, mid-november interviewees won't hear back till early February. They are behind on decisions this year
That is really disappointing. 2 months or more is a long time to wait for an answer. And I though waiting for my MCAT score was long

Reactions: 2 users
First acceptance! For WARM, interviewed 11/19. Feeling extremely lucky, not only to get in but also because last year I didnt even get an II anywhere. They sent it on Friday Dec. 20th in the mail and I got it today. To everybody else waiting, I wish you all the best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
First acceptance! For WARM, interviewed 11/19. Feeling extremely lucky, not only to get in but also because last year I didnt even get an II anywhere. They sent it on Friday Dec. 20th in the mail and I got it today. To everybody else waiting, I wish you all the best of luck!

Congratulations! Very happy for you! Did you get a call or just an acceptance in the mail?

Congratulations! Very happy for you! Did you get a call or just an acceptance in the mail?
I only received the letter in the mail, no call. As far as I've heard, WARM applicants get mail before the email and portal updates while regular program applicants get phone calls first.

That’s really awesome especially with that background, having no interviews in a previous cycle! I’m interviewing late Jan and hoping that this schools leaves a nice impression on me, I already like the school a lot. Hopefully it’ll be my first acceptance too

That’s really awesome especially with that background, having no interviews in a previous cycle! I’m interviewing late Jan and hoping that this schools leaves a nice impression on me, I already like the school a lot. Hopefully it’ll be my first acceptance too
Congrats on the interview! Im rooting for you. Definitely left a really good impression on me. I have an interview at MCW central Wisconsin next month that I'm going to so I can see how they fit for me, but honestly it'll be hard for them to tear me away from Madison

• Love
Can somebody better explain to me their grading system? It’s not true pass/faill and none of the students on interview day seemed to know how it really worked either...

Sorry this turned out to be a much longer post than I intended but more importantly I hope it clears any confusion you had.
TLDR: Grading is not complicated once you actually start to get assignments and you will perform well if you simply do the work.

Hey,
I was perusing the page and noticed that no one had provided you with a satisfactory answer to your question, but I will try. I can only speak to the Pre-Clinical (Phase 1) since I am only an M1 but if you would like more information about the latter blocks then I can seek it out for you as well.

So here we go:

The first block of Phase 1 titled Patients, Professionalism, and Public Health (or PPP) is purely Pass / Fail. Passing the block was determined by displaying competence in the 3 core components which were Medical knowledge; Clinical Skills; and Professionalism. Competency in the Medical Knowledge component of the course required scoring >=75% on all the assessments combined. Grading of your Clinical Skills is more complicated and probably beyond the scope of what you should be concerned about at this stage. Lastly Professionalism should be the easiest portion to get full credit for if you turn in all your assignments and show up to required events. This is the shortest block only spanning 4 weeks.

The second block of Phase 1 titled Body in Balance (or BiB) was assessed a little differently which might have been the reason for some of the confusion among my peers on your interview day.

In BiB, and in every other block of Phase 1 barring PPP above, there are 2 different grading systems used.

The first grading sysyem is used to determine Pass / Fail and is conceptually very similar to PPP above except BiB is the longest block of Phase 1 spanning 14 weeks so there are going to be a lot more assignments determining your grade.

The second grading system is used to determine your comparative performance for the block i.e. your class rank. Determination of your class rank will take into consideration the following components:

1- Professionalism points (you start out with the max and can only lose them by not showing up to required events, turning in assignments or other reasons deemed to be unprofessional);

2- Readiness Quizzes (Audience Response) which are mostly during the Anatomy Dissections and Medium Group sessions. Understanding these can be confusing for some. They are considered "No risk, High reward" as getting all of them wrong across the entire block will not harm you but getting all of them right will help you by lowering the weight of your final NBME exam by 5%. Getting 1/2 of them right will lower the weight of your NBME exam by 2.5% at the end of the block and so forth;

3- Weekly quizzes. These are typically opened up at the end of the week and count as their own entity i.e. They are not the same as the readiness quizzes above. Weekly quizzes also do not affect your final NBME exam weighting;

4- Midterms, OSCEs, and Final NBME. These all affect your final grade as well but affect your rank given your relative performance to the rest of the class. For individual mid-terms, a 75% on the exam is an automatic pass. Otherwise scores within 2 Standard Deviations of the mean are also considered a pass on an individual exam. You might wonder what happens if the final class average is a 75%. Well that does not mean that half of the class will fail. What it might mean is that the exam was more difficult than anticipated and the necessary adjustments will be made by the course directors.

A person averaging 76% on their exams and a person averaging 93% on their exams are both passing and provided they are not losing professionalism points could both be proud of their performance, but of course the former would have a lower cumulative comparative performance score than the latter. A few folks will care more about their class rank than most do but this should be expected. Individual goals will be at play here.

I realise that it is a long winded answer and I am sure I could make more concise if I went through it but I am getting hungry now and should probably go eat :)

Happy Holidays,

Nip12

Reactions: 7 users