2020-2021 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone who received an II heard from VITA? Duke's website said they are participating in it, but I haven't received an invitation to complete it yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who received an II heard from VITA? Duke's website said they are participating in it, but I haven't received an invitation to complete it yet.

I have not received anything from HireVue or Duke about VITA but I did get an II last week. I also already took VITA for UMass so maybe I’m not the best person to ask....still, the HireVue email that updates you on which schools asked for my VITA has not come in with Duke added to the list yet so...

Reactions: 1 users
Duke is my only II so far, and I got the Hirevue/AAMC invite email today. No email from Duke specifically though.

I have not received anything from HireVue or Duke about VITA but I did get an II last week. I also already took VITA for UMass so maybe I’m not the best person to ask....still, the HireVue email that updates you on which schools asked for my VITA has not come in with Duke added to the list yet so...

Update: finally got Duke added to the list today

Can someone please help me, can we not smile in the photo?
It's not a passport photo. They just want to know that the person who shows up for the interview is the person who filled out the secondary, and it helps interviewers remember you. I think you can do whatever you want.

It's not a passport photo. They just want to know that the person who shows up for the interview is the person who filled out the secondary, and it helps interviewers remember you. I think you can do whatever you want.

Thank you! I appreciate your response.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you read through the requirements that they gave to everyone? The photo has specific requirements (for whatever reason lol) and facial expression is specifically mentioned. Just go with what the guidelines say and don't stress about it

Yes! Thank you! This is why I asked! I got a white background and all! But tbh my neutral face isn’t very friendly looking and so i smiled a lil tiny bit lol and I hope they don’t hate me for it hehe

To those of you who have attended/ will attend the Sunday evening event, was/is attire casual? I know it is a "get to know the school" kind of event but I see that Dr. Yee has a presentation so was a bit thrown off about how to dress

To those of you who have attended/ will attend the Sunday evening event, was/is attire casual? I know it is a "get to know the school" kind of event but I see that Dr. Yee has a presentation so was a bit thrown off about how to dress
it was casual. people were in like polos or button ups with no tie

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else having difficulty scheduling an interview date? I've been checking my portal every hour and no new dates appear.

Is anyone else having difficulty scheduling an interview date? I've been checking my portal every hour and no new dates appear.
Yeah I'm having trouble too. Due to lack of invite.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 51 users
Does Duke accept thank you emails to their interviewers? If so, how do we find their email addresses or a list of their names since there were 9 of them?

Does Duke accept thank you emails to their interviewers? If so, how do we find their email addresses or a list of their names since there were 9 of them?
Others can correct me, but I think people typically do not send thank you notes to individual MMI interviewers.

If you applied to PCLT, are you also considered for the regular track?

edit: never mind. I found the answer.

Last edited:
People typically do not send thank you notes to MMI schools. I personally send thank you notes to traditional interviewers, particularly ones in which I had a genuinely enjoyable time speaking to the faculty members/adcoms/whoever is interviewing me. I do this only because I think it's nice, but it really has no bearing on your chances at the school. If you are questioning if/who to send a thank you note on a forum like this, I would say that means you probably don't need to send one at all!

Okay thank you! I just remember reading on another thread someone saying that we should be sending thank you notes to every school after interviewing but this seems like a more difficult thing to do with virtual interviews and especially MMI schools... maybe if I interview at a school with a one-on-one interview then it’ll be more convenient without digging the internet for contact info.

For anyone that had their MMI already, I talked to an MS1 who said that they did not do a role-playing section in their MMI. Was this true for your interview as well? Thank you a million!

For anyone that had their MMI already, I talked to an MS1 who said that they did not do a role-playing section in their MMI. Was this true for your interview as well? Thank you a million!

No acting stations, that's correct!

Reactions: 2 users
What did everyone do for the photo upload? I have a normal headshot that I've uploaded for all of my schools but it's against a grey background and is more of a half body headshot. Do I need to take a picture with my phone? Very confused.

What did everyone do for the photo upload? I have a normal headshot that I've uploaded for all of my schools but it's against a grey background and is more of a half body headshot. Do I need to take a picture with my phone? Very confused.

I’ve personally just been using the same photo over and over

quick questions guys. Did anyone get an application complete email? Or are we going solely based on the comment on the supplemental application now being reviewed by an independent set of reviewers?

quick questions guys. Did anyone get an application complete email? Or are we going solely based on the comment on the supplemental application now being reviewed by an independent set of reviewers?
didn't get a complete email and I got an II.

Do not remember if I ever received a complete email, but remember receiving a payment complete email. However, on the portal, if you click on your name and then on application history, you can see the date on which application was submitted.

My Duke secondary watching as the months go by and I submit 40 other secondaries ️️

Finally submitted, not expecting anything w/ such a late submit but didn't wanna waste the $40 I spent for the primary xD

Reactions: 3 users
When does VITA need to be completed for Duke? I have an interview next Tuesday and the email said "The VITA should be done on or before the week of your MMI." Does this just mean sometime before the interview?

Interviewing on Monday and that's what I took it to mean. They said they don't look at it until after your interview so I don't think there's really an advantage to completing it sooner.

does anyone's status still say "awaiting LORs"? LORs were sent according to AMCAS
I had to email them and tell them all my letters were in. One of my professors ghosted me and I marked it "no longer sending" in amcas but several of my schools still said that I was waiting on letters. After the email they changed it.

Quick question--where do we submit our photos for the interview? I can't find anywhere to upload in the portal.

Quick question--where do we submit our photos for the interview? I can't find anywhere to upload in the portal.
Hey! They opened up the photo submission option 1-2 days before my interview (can't remember exactly when) :)

When is it appropriate to send a letter of intent or letter of interest? I don't think they talked about this in the interview, but I'm curious

When is it appropriate to send a letter of intent or letter of interest? I don't think they talked about this in the interview, but I'm curious
Duke only accepts updates until a week after you interview, but they reopen updates if you are waitlisted. I would wait to send an LOI until a waitlist for it to have the biggest impact

Duke only accepts updates until a week after you interview, but they reopen updates if you are waitlisted. I would wait to send an LOI until a waitlist for it to have the biggest impact
Ah yeah the update box is greyed out for me but I thought in general it would be better to send it through a personal email to the ADCOM? I have no idea, just speculating