2020-2021 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Historically it has been the the 4th or 5th week of January (around Jan 22nd-Jan 26th). This year, since updates are accepted until 1/22, I think it will be on or after that date :).
Ah, good call. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Historically it has been the the 4th or 5th week of January (around Jan 22nd-Jan 26th). This year, since updates are accepted until 1/22, I think it will be on or after that date :).
Where does it say 1/22?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm newer to the game, interviewed in December. Are there Tuesdays that pass without anything?
There was a period of time where I believe we went 2 weeks of Tuesdays without anything. Last Tuesday there were As though.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree, I think all II's are done for this cycle. However, it's kind of weird that not a single II was reported on SDN this month, especially considering previous years had II's in January and this year we have COVID. And indications that schools are told to increase class size by 10 % makes it seem like the cycle might be extended...

I agree, I think all II's are done for this cycle. However, it's kind of weird that not a single II was reported on SDN this month, especially considering previous years had II's in January and this year we have COVID. And indications that schools are told to increase class size by 10 % makes it seem like the cycle might be extended...
Maybe I'm being naive, but what if they liked all interviewees so much this cycle that we're all getting accepted?
A boy can dream, right? :lol:

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What’s the 10% figure in reference to?

Me, if Iowa accepted letters of intent:
you're perfect love actually GIF by Stan.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
What’s the 10% figure in reference to?
Look a couple of posts up. Admissions at that other school made it sound like schools were ENCOURAGED to increase class sizes, but its impossible to make that mandatory. And correction to what I said earlier: I said 10% this year but im pretty sure the goal was over 5 years, my bad

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if Iowa gives out OOS merit aid scholarships and if so, maybe how much?

Does anyone know if Iowa gives out OOS merit aid scholarships and if so, maybe how much?
I know my friend's brother was OOS, got enough merit aid scholarship that tuition was pretty much equivalent to in state tuition. Plus someone above in chat got a full ride, so anything's possible.

I think this person is IS
Yup, that person was IS, but they said it was merit-based. I was just saying the range could be anywhere from full tuition to half tuition to whatever else. Like Iowa is pretty good about giving out money.

Reactions: 2 users
Yup, that person was IS, but they said it was merit-based. I was just saying the range could be anywhere from full tuition to half tuition to whatever else. Like Iowa is pretty good about giving out money.
If only they were still giving out II's :cryi::cryi:... but honestly Iowa is amazing and I've heard their financial aid is top-notch with regards to medical schools.

If only they were still giving out II's :cryi::cryi:... but honestly Iowa is amazing and I've heard their financial aid is top-notch with regards to medical schools.
How are they top notch in regards to financial aid? Do they give both IS and OOS a lot of free money to reduce tuition costs?

How are they top notch in regards to financial aid? Do they give both IS and OOS a lot of free money to reduce tuition costs?
For a state school, I've heard they're quite nice at helping OOS students pay for tuition and often giving them in-state tutition. I don't know about IS benefits beyond getting in-state tuition, but I've heard they offer some merit based scholarships. They're nice for a state school to OOS students financially and emphasize that they'll help match to IS tuition given the financial need.

Also, unlike many other schools, they're quite accomodating to allowing OOS defer a year to establish IA residency so that you then matriculate with IS tuition.

Oh, I didn't know about that. Thats actually quite amazing
Yeah it is! It was mentioned during one of my interview days by the Director I believe. I think that may be a decision made by state law though so not sure if that’s a Carver or IA thing.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah it is! It was mentioned during one of my interview days by the Director I believe. I think that may be a decision made by state law though so not sure if that’s a Carver or IA thing.
Yeah it is just an iowa state law about establishing residency. You have to work full time a certain number of weeks in a year to get in state tuition. I know a few people that did that in undergrad but haven't heard any of my classmates in med school that have done that. Carver does let you defer for a year for any reason so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to defer and establish residency. There is a limit on the number of people that can defer with no explanation but after that quota I believe they let you as long as it is justified. I would definitely double check with someone in admissions about this if you are planning on doing that

Does anyone know when the last day of sending out interview invites is?

Does anyone know when the last day of sending out interview invites is?
I’m in the same position, but I think that train has sadly passed a while ago 😕😕😕. It looks like they’re all done with IIs, unless you’ve received conflicting information. I hope they’re still sending them out though haha.

If they're all done with II, why haven't they just given us the R?

If they're all done with II, why haven't they just given us the R?
They sent their last R after their last interview date last year, which was the 22nd of January, so I am guessing those who havent gotten pre-II rejected will get the R then. This is assuming their interview season ends in Jan this yeat like it normally does. Unfortunately, that seems to be the case. But you'll never know. Someone might drop their II and they might extend it to you. I think they haven't rejected everyone because they want to have backups in case someone declines an II last minute. However. Iowa is such an amazing school that it's hard for anyone to do that given that there's no cost to attending interviews this year, besides time.

For those of you writing updates, are you starting it off like, Dear Admissions Team, etc (writing it like an email)? Confused since we are not sending an actual PDF.

For those of you writing updates, are you starting it off like, Dear Admissions Team, etc (writing it like an email)? Confused since we are not sending an actual PDF.
I would write the exact same way as I did for the primary and secondary applications. Don't be afraid to give details and explain why your experiences were meaningful and how you think they make you a better candidate. Don't forget that the deadline is the 22nd, so we have until Friday to give them both our updated grades and experiences.

I would write the exact same way as I did for the primary and secondary applications. Don't be afraid to give details and explain why your experiences were meaningful and how you think they make you a better candidate. Don't forget that the deadline is the 22nd, so we have until Friday to give them both our updated grades and experiences.
Thank you so much for the insight!!! I agree with you and I think I am going to stick to writing the update like an essay format!! If we interviewed there, should we include the interview date? I saw some online places suggest that but not sure if I trust those premed resources.

They sent their last R after their last interview date last year, which was the 22nd of January, so I am guessing those who havent gotten pre-II rejected will get the R then. This is assuming their interview season ends in Jan this yeat like it normally does. Unfortunately, that seems to be the case. But you'll never know. Someone might drop their II and they might extend it to you. I think they haven't rejected everyone because they want to have backups in case someone declines an II last minute. However. Iowa is such an amazing school that it's hard for anyone to do that given that there's no cost to attending interviews this year, besides time.
I'm one of the ambassadors for carver and I just took a look at the interview schedule. The last interview date was on friday (Jan 15) so they are done with interviews and will likely be sending out an update sometime soon. They will send out the last few acceptances thats part of rolling admissions and anyone that didn't interview will be rejected unfortunately. If you weren't in either one of those you will automatically be put in the final pool and adcom will look at your application again and send out a final update with acceptances / rejection / waitlist in march.

If you have any questions about carver or if you didn't get in and need someone to vent to / want some advice if you are planning on applying again I'd be happy to talk to you (ps. I didn't get in my first try)!

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
I'm one of the ambassadors for carver and I just took a look at the interview schedule. The last interview date was on friday (Jan 15) so they are done with interviews and will likely be sending out an update sometime soon. They will send out the last few acceptances thats part of rolling admissions and anyone that didn't interview will be rejected unfortunately. If you weren't in either one of those you will automatically be put in the final pool and adcom will look at your application again and send out a final update with acceptances / rejection / waitlist in march.

If you have any questions about carver or if you didn't get in and need someone to vent to / want some advice if you are planning on applying again I'd be happy to talk to you (ps. I didn't get in my first try)!
Thanks for the update! It really just makes me wish admissions was a more transparent process. The silent rejections pre II are silly and they should send them out once they have sent the last IIs out- not weeks later.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
This might be our last Tuesday of As before final pool guys!

Reactions: 5 users
Have any interviewees heard if they are being rejected or waitlisted yet or does that only happen in march?

Have any interviewees heard if they are being rejected or waitlisted yet or does that only happen in march?
If you interviewed and you don't get accepted when the announce final pool soon, you are automatically in the final pool and they will look at your application again and send out final A / WL / R in march

I know each school does things differently and is convinced their approach is best, but man, the indefinite decision timeline is inarguably the worst.

Reactions: 5 users
So why do they say 4-6 weeks?
4-6 weeks is mentioned as the earliest you can potentially receive a decision (i.e., acceptance); however, I believe there's been some acceptances reported even sooner than 4 weeks on this year's thread. Just kinda blows that after interviewing in September you could either hear back in October or March with no way of knowing which and in the interim time everything is placed on hold

Reactions: 4 users
ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3.65gpa (3.5 science) and 510 MCAT

I filled my application update and grades last week so that certainly may have helped.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 15 users