2020-2021 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am well prepared for the R because they are done with interviews but am just happy to live another day lol. Maybe my time is today haha
Can relate. Currently dreaming of another round of interviews over here haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can relate. Currently dreaming of another round of interviews over here haha
Same! If they don't reject us, let's continue dreaming lol. Iowa is too good of a school to not dream about it.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
Same! If they don't reject us, let's continue dreaming lol. Iowa is too good of a school to not dream about it.
Sorry to be such a wet blanket but see @kme243 most recent post. I'm copying it below for convenience:

"I'm one of the ambassadors for carver and I just took a look at the interview schedule. The last interview date was on friday (Jan 15) so they are done with interviews and will likely be sending out an update sometime soon. They will send out the last few acceptances thats part of rolling admissions and anyone that didn't interview will be rejected unfortunately. If you weren't in either one of those you will automatically be put in the final pool and adcom will look at your application again and send out a final update with acceptances / rejection / waitlist in march.

If you have any questions about carver or if you didn't get in and need someone to vent to / want some advice if you are planning on applying again I'd be happy to talk to you (ps. I didn't get in my first try)!"

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to be such a wet blanket but see @kme243 most recent post. I'm copying it below for convenience:

"I'm one of the ambassadors for carver and I just took a look at the interview schedule. The last interview date was on friday (Jan 15) so they are done with interviews and will likely be sending out an update sometime soon. They will send out the last few acceptances thats part of rolling admissions and anyone that didn't interview will be rejected unfortunately. If you weren't in either one of those you will automatically be put in the final pool and adcom will look at your application again and send out a final update with acceptances / rejection / waitlist in march.

If you have any questions about carver or if you didn't get in and need someone to vent to / want some advice if you are planning on applying again I'd be happy to talk to you (ps. I didn't get in my first try)!"
Lol, we know. It's called dreaming :).

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

F in the chat for those of us who are yet to fall

• Care
Out of all the SDN threads I'm following, this is the one I refresh first each day. :lol:

I appreciate each and every one of you chiming in each and every week to make the wait go by just a little bit faster.

We've made it this far, just a bit further. 👩‍⚕️ ‍⚕️ 👨‍⚕️

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Out of all the SDN threads I'm following, this is the one I refresh first each day. :lol:

I appreciate each and every one of you chiming in each and every week to make the wait go by just a little bit faster.

We've made it this far, just a bit further. 👩‍⚕️ ‍⚕️ 👨‍⚕️
Midwest nice!

It looks like most people accepted before final pool are IS applicants. Hopefully there will be more As for OOS off the final pool list.

OOS, still haven't received a pre-II rejection. I know all interviews are technically complete, but who knows what's going on... 🥺
Any OOS people still in the running for a II, hoping for a miracle haha?

• Care
OOS, still haven't received a pre-II rejection. I know all interviews are technically complete, but who knows what's going on... 🥺
Any OOS people still in the running for a II, hoping for a miracle haha?
+1 I'd love a miracle haha

Do you think there is a possibility of a few more A’s going out tomorrow prior to final pool?

Members don't see this ad :)
I sure hope so :(
Did some digging and last year the last As I saw were on the 21st and then final pool on the 30th. I think we might be behind this year but I can’t remember where I heard that.

OOS, Still haven’t gotten a pre-II R. Any ideas what’s going on/any OOSers that are confused why we haven’t gotten the hammer dropped yet? Like I’m not complaining lol, but this is making me fantasize about another interview date popping up randomly.

OOS, Still haven’t gotten a pre-II R. Any ideas what’s going on/any OOSers that are confused why we haven’t gotten the hammer dropped yet? Like I’m not complaining lol, but this is making me fantasize about another interview date popping up randomly.
I highly doubt they still send out IIs as their interview season ends this month. I do wish they prove me wrong tho haha.

Potentially our last Tuesday of A’s! Stomach in knots lol.

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Do we think final pool announcements will be sent out today?
Either there will be some more As today, if any, or final pool will be announced and it will be silent until March with no more weekly turn up Tuesdays :cryi:

• Care
When are those emails usually sent? Interviewed 11/02, and the wait is killing me!
They were usually sent out around 4:00pm CT on Tuesdays, with some Tuesdays being silent. It is unknown if last As will trickle in today or if it will be final pool day.

They were usually sent out around 4:00pm CT on Tuesdays, with some Tuesdays being silent. It is unknown if last As will trickle in today or if it will be final pool day.
Thank you for the info. I thought they skipped me again this week. Fingers crossed, this is our day!

It's Tuesday. May the odds be ever in your favor.

1611692513068.png

Reactions: 6 users
Pre-II R.

Shocked! /s

• Care
Last year final pool came out on a Wednesday. The last As reported on SDN were the week before.

When are those emails usually sent? Interviewed 11/02, and the wait is killing me!
I was 11/02 too!! I wonder if we were in the same group! Fingers crossed for you!

Edit: I’m a liar, it was 10/02 lol

also just got the pre-II R. complete 10/12

With the Rs, were you guys emailed or just reloaded your portal?

With the Rs, were you guys emailed or just reloaded your portal?
got an email saying to check the portal for the adcom's decision on my app

R complete 9/25, good luck everyone

Honestly I love Iowa, but the lack of transparency throughout the process and just keeping us in the dark until now with pre-II rejects 2 weeks after the last II is hella frustrating.

Honestly I love Iowa, but the lack of transparency throughout the process and just keeping us in the dark until now with pre-II rejects 2 weeks after the last II is hella frustrating.
Agreed bc if the last interview was truly 2 weeks ago, it would have been super respectful to let us know then

Pre-II R. IS. (Very) nontrad. What a disheartening process. :(

• Care
Post Interview Rejection. OOS. I am mildly surprised as interviewers had told me that they were impressed with my application. Good luck to everyone standing.

• Care
Post Interview Rejection. OOS. I am mildly surprised as interviewers had told me that they were impressed with my application. Good luck to everyone standing.
I didn't know they were doing post-II Rs before March. I'm sorry. What a bloody day

I didn't know they were doing post-II Rs before March. I'm sorry. What a bloody day
Me neither. My friend who got a pre-II rejection today got the exact same email letter I got. I thought I would be chopped off in March.

Last edited:
No idea why, but their rejection letter reads SO much more rude sounding than other schools because of the "labors to select those it considers best qualified for the study and practice of medicine" line. Study, sure; practice, you're basing off of what exactly? haha

Me neither. My friend who got a pre-II rejection today got the exact same email I got. I thought I would be chopped off in March.
Double check your portal if that’s the case. I’d think it would be a different email for post interview.

Double check your portal if that’s the case. I’d think it would be a different email for post interview.
Sorry, I meant to say the same letter in the portal, not email. Just a different name and address.

I'm surprised they are sending out post-II Rs right now

No idea why, but their rejection letter reads SO much more rude sounding than other schools because of the "labors to select those it considers best qualified for the study and practice of medicine" line. Study, sure; practice, you're basing off of what exactly? haha
To be honest I’ve never actually read through a rejection letter entirely but now that I’m actually reading this, it sounds condescending. If they were so committed to selecting those they consider truly best qualified, they shouldn’t have an in state quota or any of the extra ties you might need - yes being in state makes a huge difference statically speaking. They wouldn’t require us to fit a certain mold, culture etc. if they really cared about taking the best purely for the study of Medicine.

To be honest I’ve never actually read through a rejection letter entirely but now that I’m actually reading this, it sounds condescending. If they were so committed to selecting those they consider truly best qualified, they shouldn’t have an in state quota or any of the extra ties you might need - yes being in state makes a huge difference statically speaking. They wouldn’t require us to fit a certain mold, culture etc. if they really cared about taking the best purely for the study of Medicine.

Are your rejections pre II or post II?

Well they’re a public school so they literally have to have a certain number of IS to get their funding. It’s just how it works. And fitting culture is a qualification. They build a culture in which they believe they can best train future doctors.

Reactions: 4 users