2020-2021 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's literally a state law of Iowa that they have to accept at minimum 70% in state residents. They don't have a choice.
To clarify, Iowa does not have a law requiring 70% in state residents. Such a bill was passed by the house last year, but never got taken up by the senate.

Source: Iowa House passes a bill to implement in-state admission requirements at University of Iowa Colleges of Medicine and Dentistry

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Post Interview Rejection. OOS. I am mildly surprised as interviewers had told me that they were impressed with my application. Good luck to everyone standing.
It was a closed file interview so how did the interviewers know the details of your application?

Reactions: 3 users
We thinking today is the day for final pool announcement?

Reactions: 1 user
Ayyy final pool. Grab your swimsuits everyone!

• Haha
Just got the final pool notice. Let's SWIM.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Welcome to the longest pool party you’ll ever see. Gonna need a lot of Strawberritas to get through this wait

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Went to the UI Carver portal and clicked application status (can check right now prior to getting any emails).

I'm in the pool!

Members don't see this ad :)
How many OOS are usually accepted from the final pool?

Is there anything I should bring to the pool party? Any requests?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Final pool just now as well. OOS, interviewed end of October.

+∞ for Final Pool.

OOS, Interviewed week of 12/13.

So I looked up the IS vs OOS acceptance rate for Iowa post-II and saw something like 30% OOS get accepted? It was one of the lowest post-II acceptance rates I saw. Can't tell you how many have already been accepted though, so consider that inclusive of both rolling admission + final pool OOS acceptances.

A 30% chance is still a heck of a lot better than the 2-6% acceptance rates you see posted for the majority of medical schools from primary app to acceptance though.

So I looked up the IS vs OOS acceptance rate for Iowa post-II and saw something like 30% OOS get accepted? It was one of the lowest post-II acceptance rates I saw. Can't tell you how many have already been accepted though, so consider that inclusive of both rolling admission + final pool OOS acceptances.
A 30% chance is still a heck of a lot better than the 2-6% acceptance rates you see posted for the majority of medical schools from primary app to acceptance though.

I looked on that huge spreadsheet from Reddit and one sheet says 35% OOS and the other 45% OOS. I think it really depends year to year how many get off the WL.

EDIT: FOR WAITLIST, IT'S ~54

1611783517396.png

If I'm not mistaken, Final Pool and their waitlist are two separate things. There are three possibilities that come from being in the Final Pool: acceptance, rejection, or waitlist. Plenty of students get accepted from the Final Pool review without having to go into the waitlist.

Last edited:
If i'm not mistaken, Final Pool and their waitlist are two separate things. There are three possibilities that come from being in the Final Pool: acceptance, rejection, or waitlist. Plenty of students get accepted from the Final Pool review without having to go into the waitlist.
Ah crap you right mb mb I didn't do well in CARS

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Just got final pool email; I can bring the pool noodles and soda

• Haha
Final pooled, OOS interviewed in September.

• Care
And now we wait till March! Rooting for all of us and see you all again soon!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Also got final pooled. This was definitely my most worst interview performance lol, so not a surprise. Still love Iowa though, so fingers crossed!
I honestly feel like so much of the process is random or up to chance in one way or another, so nobody beat themselves up for being final pooled!

Even if you had an amazing interview (maybe you did from your interviewer's perspective), you still had a high chance of being in the final pool. Most schools have a weighted rubric and being IS/OOS gets you an arbitrary point value, your interview is some number of points, your stats, EC's etc. You never know what they'll subjectively rate you or what categories are weighted more heavily from year to year. Two amazing applicants could end up with very different outcomes.

I honestly feel like so much of the process is random or up to chance in one way or another, so nobody beat themselves up for being final pooled!

Even if you had an amazing interview (maybe you did from your interviewer's perspective), you still had a high chance of being in the final pool. Most schools have a weighted rubric and being IS/OOS gets you an arbitrary point value, your interview is some number of points, your stats, EC's etc. You never know what they'll subjectively rate you or what categories are weighted more heavily from year to year. Two amazing applicants could end up with very different outcomes.

I second this randomness comment. I may be wrong, but I swear during my interview I thought I heard the admissions dean say she chooses interviewed applicants and decides to final pool them or bring them to the full committee for review.

Then the committee can accept or defer to the final pool still, so I think final pool has a lot of acceptances just based on this setup. I may be wrong though so if someone heard something different please correct me lol

Does anyone know any data of how IS applicants do in the final pool?

Sorry to ask, does anyone know how financial aid works here? Do they just need the FAFSA at this point or is there anywhere I can look for more information?

To those who have not received a favorable decision, you got this! You worked this hard to get here; be proud of what you see in your rearview mirror.

Can someone repeat when admitted students will get the financial aid package? I was not paying attention when they said the day lol

They said they'll start sending stuff out in mid-February, but not to be too concerned if you don't get any right away. Also, only FAFSA is required to be considered for financial aid, you don't need to apply for anything.

Last edited:
  • Love
Hello are there any M3/M4's or alumni that I can reach out to for questions about Carver?

Does anyone know what day final pool folks will be hearing back?

Does anyone know what day final pool folks will be hearing back?
Based on my obsessive stalking of past threads, it is usually the week before the 15th so I’ll venture a guess of March 10th

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone gotten any financial aid info yet???
For me, if I go to Iowa's "MyUI" and go to the financial aid section, there's a link to "financial aid offer" that says my scholarship. But I think they roll out scholarships/aid over time so don't be worried if there's no offer yet.

For me, if I go to Iowa's "MyUI" and go to the financial aid section, there's a link to "financial aid offer" that says my scholarship. But I think they roll out scholarships/aid over time so don't be worried if there's no offer yet.
So you didn’t get an email, it just showed up on your “MyUI”?

I got an email back in December, but it only just showed up in MyUI on Feb 20th. So there's a chance some people could have an offer on MyUI without getting an email, who knows.

I got an email back in December, but it only just showed up in MyUI on Feb 20th. So there's a chance some people could have an offer on MyUI without getting an email, who knows.
Ye I didn't get an email but found the financial aid offer in MyUI today. Thanks for the heads up!

• Love
I didn't get an email, but I just checked and my offer is available on MyUI

ETA: Also, they're really generous with financial aid for OOS students! I was really pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
  • Love