2020-2021 Jefferson (Kimmel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else apply early/mid-July with good (but not exemplary) stats and not hear back? lol. I'm genuinely curious how they go through apps
7/29 with 513/3.9 and nothing yet

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just submitted, marked complete. Let's see how this goes

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think I could write a why us essay in the additional comments, and then add a blurb at the bottom about an award I recently won?

Also, I've noticed on most secondaries that the text boxes for essays automatically group the text as close together as possible, erasing any paragraph separations you might have. Is there some way to circumvent this?

Last edited:
Do you think I could write a why us essay in the additional comments, and then add a blurb at the bottom about an award I recently won?

Honestly, if the essay will add to your candidacy then of course use the space; however, unnecessary fluff could potentially have the opposite effect. Regarding the reward, I would instead include it in an update.

Also, I've noticed on most secondaries that the text boxes for essays automatically group the text as close together as possible, erasing any paragraph separations you might have. Is there some way to circumvent this?

If I had to guess, the text box has a pre-determined format which is likely why this is occurring. Though, this has only happened on 1 or 2 occasions for me. If you're copying and pasting from Microsoft Word or Google Doc then I would recommend clearing the format before moving into over to your secondary application.

My status says both "complete" and then one line under says it's "under review"... does this mean they've already looked at my app and decided against a II?

My status says both "complete" and then one line under says it's "under review"... does this mean they've already looked at my app and decided against a II?
Under review means they are reading it or have assigned it to someone to be read

Just speculation but when I received my invite, the next available date was 10/28 and then there was only one date in November. They may just be waiting a while before opening more slots. I didn't think to look past November unfortunately

They had 10/14 onward spots for me. They may have added more slots/some people cancelled interviews?..

Members don't see this ad :)
If one didn't do very well on the SAT in high school, should the SAT section of the secondary be left blank?

If one didn't do very well on the SAT in high school, should the SAT section of the secondary be left blank?
I am not sure, you'd have to use your judgement on that one. I think they use it, as I understand it, as a predictor of your Step 1 score but not necessarily as an admissions criteria/point of evaluation. They're big on non-trads and I can't believe they'd judge nontrads on a score they may have gotten 10 years ago.
Also- I've heard anecdotally (take with a grain of salt) that SAT is the best predictor of MCAT and MCAT is the best predictor of Step 1, etc. Therefore, they may simply be having a look to see if your SAT is on trend with your MCAT. My SAT and MCAT are the EXACT same percentile and the sections they ask for weren't even my best sections on the SAT (I'm old and took the 2400 scale one), but I put it anyway.
You do you. If anything, you can always call and ask the school. They are incredibly kind in the admissions office.

Is it me or are II going out super slow across the board?

Reactions: 14 users
For those who got an II, did that seem to come somewhat soon after status updating to "under review". I haven't been checking my portals much and just noticed that today. I was complete 8/20 but don't know when my status updated to "under review.

For those who got an II, did that seem to come somewhat soon after status updating to "under review". I haven't been checking my portals much and just noticed that today. I was complete 8/20 but don't know when my status updated to "under review.

I've been under review for two months so unfortunately I think it's an automatic status change that doesn't indicate imminent action.

Reactions: 2 users
Is SKMC considered "low-yield"? I'm considering adding more OOS-friendly private schools (LM 73). Just wanted to confirm here since I've definitely added OOS-friendly schools that only accept those with ties.

Is SKMC considered "low-yield"? I'm considering adding more OOS-friendly private schools (LM 73). Just wanted to confirm here since I've definitely added OOS-friendly schools that only accept those with ties.
Oh yeah

Have there been any updates to II, holds, rejections recently? There seems to be a lull in invitations/responses right now from SKMC. Has anyone heard?

Have there been any updates to II, holds, rejections recently? There seems to be a lull in invitations/responses right now from SKMC. Has anyone heard?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the first interviews of the cycle begin next week, so they may be focusing on those for now?

LOL I thought it was institutional action I was like bold of you to put it in your sig
I love the concept of me just racking up IA's throughout the interview season and throwing them in the signature. I laughed. :laugh:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
I love the concept of me just racking up IA's throughout the interview season and throwing them in the signature. I laughed. :laugh:

If you don't mind me asking, where was your rejection from? Trying to keep a headcount of which schools have already started sending out R's

If you don't mind me asking, where was your rejection from? Trying to keep a headcount of which schools have already started sending out R's
No worries! I got rejected from Boston University on 9/17. They just sent out a ton of rejections for July complete dates.

No worries! I got rejected from Boston University on 9/17. They just sent out a ton of rejections for July complete dates.

Oh okay, I definitely saw that! I submitted early August so fingers crossed. Thanks!

Oh, I just meant that I haven't heard back from them since submitting my app...like when you're texting someone you're interested in and they leave you on read :cryi:

Follow your analogy, think of it this way. The person you are texting just finished work, is super tired, read your text but literally fell asleep doing so. This person plans to text you in the morning. You can be anxious all night or wait for that good morning text.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Follow your analogy, think of it this way. The person you are texting just finished work, is super tired, read your text but literally fell asleep doing so. This person plans to text you in the morning. You can be anxious all night or wait for that good morning text.
More like that person has a lineup of 5000 people they’re texting and you’re at the bottom of the list and it really wouldn’t change a single thing in their life whether they read your text or not

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 11 users
What are you all planning to wear for the welcome event Tuesday night? It calls it informal and appears to be student-run -- so genuinely casual? Business casual?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about legacies at Sidney Kimmel?

What are you all planning to wear for the welcome event Tuesday night? It calls it informal and appears to be student-run -- so genuinely casual? Business casual?
The tips I've received from various advisors and deans is to always dress the part (so maybe a shirt and tie, no jacket OR a nice ironed button down and sweater, whatever your personal style/preferences). The reason being that every interaction with the school, whether it is the administration, the students, a volunteer, (or if in person interviews existed) the security guards, says a little bit about you, your personality and your professionalism.
If I were you, I would not go full suit and tie/pant suit level formal - but still look presentable and professional (something you'd wear to the clinic), organize my zoom background to be clean/tidy, etc.
In any case, it's better to be over dressed than underdressed. They always told us at medical school fairs to be business casual, which many students interpreted as jeans and a clean polo (men/women included) - which was occasionally commented upon by admissions members/our advisors in panels as mildly inappropriate for the situation despite the informal setting.

Would it be worth it to add this school at this point? I heard that applying late to schools like Jefferson that have a lot of applicants is not super wise.

Complete on 9/18 and just received II today. I'm so surprised.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users