-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Kaiser (Tyson)
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
My primary was verified in June and I still haven't received a secondary.My primary was verified last week but I still haven't received a secondary? Does anyone know how they screen?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Definitely more than a handful of current students gave up T10/20 even with half tuition scholarships to attend Kaiser and save additional $250k.While there are a handful or so of students giving up top medical schools to enroll at Kaiser, the larger majority are not. There‘s also a pretty heavy sales pitch to convince admitted students to enroll. Even though it’s tuition free, there are students (even from lower-tiered schools) wary of the school and only accepted after the heavy marketing.
Sorry but your numbers are wayyyyyy off. I have no doubt that Kaiser will be a top school, but 10k + applicant is a huge overestimate. NYU only has in the 8000s and its a way more well-known school.
Last year, the school projected 10k applicants. That seems like a realistic figure when there are no stats available online, free tuition, and the KP core values behind the school. Low stats folks would apply to KP in hopes of holistic review that would not apply to NYU knowing their metrics wouldn't survive the cycle. Rosy had over 15k last year. 10k at Kaiser is not a stretch of the imagination.
According to the SOM website, they planned on sending out interview invites starting July 2020, has anyone heard back?
I have heard from admissions at KPSOM that they had more than 10k applicants last year. It is not a huge overestimate.Sorry but your numbers are wayyyyyy off. I have no doubt that Kaiser will be a top school, but 10k + applicant is a huge overestimate. NYU only has in the 8000s and its a way more well-known school.
The 10K + applicants is not an estimate, those are facts. The only facts us students have so farSorry but your numbers are wayyyyyy off. I have no doubt that Kaiser will be a top school, but 10k + applicant is a huge overestimate. NYU only has in the 8000s and its a way more well-known school.
joshuamarcus
Full Member
oof that makes sense mb.Last year, the school projected 10k applicants. That seems like a realistic figure when there are no stats available online, free tuition, and the KP core values behind the school. Low stats folks would apply to KP in hopes of holistic review that would not apply to NYU knowing their metrics wouldn't survive the cycle. Rosy had over 15k last year. 10k at Kaiser is not a stretch of the imagination.
I agree, my classmates are amazing!Not sure if someone posted this already, but matriculant stats are up! 515 median MCAT, 3.85 median GPA. Great stats for an inaugural class, and a lot of diversity in class composition. Very impressive!
Yup there go my hopes and dreams.Not sure if someone posted this already, but matriculant stats are up! 515 median MCAT, 3.85 median GPA. Great stats for an inaugural class, and a lot of diversity in class composition. Very impressive!
I agree, my classmates are amazing!
we really are! 49 of the coolest people I’ve met tbh. also wanted to add that the school is super LGBTQ+ friendly. I don’t know the exact stats but a significant portion of the class is part of the queer community
My gay heart is going to be broken if I don't get in here after reading so many accepted student posts about how LGBTQ+-friendly it is.we really are! 49 of the coolest people I’ve met tbh. also wanted to add that the school is super LGBTQ+ friendly. I don’t know the exact stats but a significant portion of the class is part of the queer community
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
longhorn17
New Member
Not sure if someone posted this already, but matriculant stats are up! 515 median MCAT, 3.85 median GPA. Great stats for an inaugural class, and a lot of diversity in class composition. Very impressive!
could you post the link to the stats? thanks!
It’s on their website!could you post the link to the stats? thanks!
My gay heart is going to be broken if I don't get in here after reading so many accepted student posts about how LGBTQ+-friendly it is.
Same.
D
deleted776417
It took me a while to find it, so here is the link!
medschool.kp.org
Student Demographics | Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine
At the Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine, we believe in diversity of thought, life experiences, race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, language, abilities, veteran status, socioeconomic background, and more. This is reflected in the variety of backgrounds embedded...
D
deleted1055354
Do you know if the data will be published on msar? I’d be interested in what the range looks like.
But ranges are not posted on MSAR, only down to 10th percentile and up to 90th percentile, unfortunately.Do you know if the data will be published on msar? I’d be interested in what the range looks like.
D
deleted1055354
That’s what I meant . I think it's still better than just medians.But ranges are not posted on MSAR, only down to 10th percentile and up to 90th percentile, unfortunately.
Sorry but your numbers are wayyyyyy off. I have no doubt that Kaiser will be a top school, but 10k + applicant is a huge overestimate. NYU only has in the 8000s and its a way more well-known school.
10,592 applications. Source: webinar a few weeks ago
D
deleted776417
10,592 applications. Source: webinar a few weeks ago
They hosted Webinars?
Yes, but I don't believe they were advertised, and they were very limited attendance. I was fortunate to have a friend who sent me the registration link she got from an advisor. I think there were only like 50 people per information session. Nothing discussed in mine that isn't also posted here or on their website, though.They hosted Webinars?
Just wanted to let people know that the admin got student feedback on being more inclusive and transparent with the demographics. If you visit the stats page, they've updated with the percentage of nonbinary (2%) and LGBTQ (30%) students.
literally same.My gay heart is going to be broken if I don't get in here after reading so many accepted student posts about how LGBTQ+-friendly it is.
my gay heart will be broken no matter what bc I know my MCAT won't let me get into KPSOM 🙁 so you aren't alone mateMy gay heart is going to be broken if I don't get in here after reading so many accepted student posts about how LGBTQ+-friendly it is.
My understanding is that KPSOM is similar to Mayo -- they both have high median stats, but interview/accept a large range of applicants, so I wouldn't count yourself out!my gay heart will be broken no matter what bc I know my MCAT won't let me get into KPSOM 🙁 so you aren't alone mate
@CaliforniaAsian does your class have any teachers? I love love love their curriculum, didn’t get an interview last year and was just curious if other educators made it into the inaugural class. I talked about it a ton in my primary / secondary apps
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1055354
I just realized that if 10k+ are fighting for 50 seats then God help us all...
You mean people who previously taught as a career/full-time job in K-12?@CaliforniaAsian does your class have any teachers? I love love love their curriculum, didn’t get an interview last year and was just curious if other educators made it into the inaugural class. I talked about it a ton in my primary / secondary apps
Eggsoverizzy
New Member
got notification of primary being received July 15th...still no secondary. Anyone in the same boat?
YesYou mean people who previously taught as a career/full-time job in K-12?
got notification of primary being received July 15th...still no secondary. Anyone in the same boat?
.
Last edited:
got notification of primary being received July 15th...still no secondary. Anyone in the same boat?
mine was received July 10th and I still haven’t received a secondary.
I get my MCAT back next week though and was waiting until that before I send a neurotic email asking for my secondary LOL
D
deleted959268
mine was received July 10th and I still haven’t received a secondary.
I get my MCAT back next week though and was waiting until that before I send a neurotic email asking for my secondary LOL
Same I was verified last week though but I haven't recieved my secondary im not sure how they are screening applicants; does anyone know if there is a cut off?
CountryBoy2134
Full Member
What is the acronym that they like to go by?
KPSOM is the formal acronym, or KP is the short form (would probably stick with KPSOM in your secondaries if you can)What is the acronym that they like to go by?
I don’t think there were any career educators.
KPSOM is the formal acronym, or KP is the short form (would probably stick with KPSOM in your secondaries if you can)
I just used "Kaiser," oops
Anyone else still waiting on secondaries? I got their primary email July 10? but I just took the mcat the other day.
I only got my secondary after my MCAT score was released, you might not get it until then
we got this y'all, from one LGBTQ+ member to another!my gay heart will be broken no matter what bc I know my MCAT won't let me get into KPSOM 🙁 so you aren't alone mate
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know what the criteria is to receive a secondary? I received one and since the stats came out I'm really not sure if its worth submitting
D
deleted1039724
Does anyone know what the criteria is to receive a secondary? I received one and since the stats came out I'm really not sure if its worth submitting
they don’t screen, everyone gets one
rip still havent gotten mine. I wonder if it's due to that 124 cars subsection score
Glass? mmm not a great place to be on a earthquake.Yes! It's right in front of you when you walk in to the building. Also, the ceiling is basically all glass above this walkway so the sun hits the piece just right in the afternoon 😉
No one except the admissions committee knows the yield at this point. Perhaps 95% of students rejected Kaiser before even knowing much about the school. Perhaps all but a few students that were accepted ultimately matriculated. Some anectodal (i.e. unscientific) evidence I can provide:
Of the 43 accepted students on the Facebook page in April (towards the beginning), all but 6 of those people are current Kaiser students!
Some students likely rejected them before being added to the page, and there are a lot of unaccounted for factors of course. But I do think it goes to show that of the students who were undecided with weeks to decide, many chose Kaiser.