-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Kaiser (Tyson)
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
dcceelo
Full Member
Congrats! 😀II JUST NOW.
D
deleted1039724
II JUST NOW.
congrats!! stats?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats!!!II JUST NOW.
congrats!! stats?
**** stats, too embarrassed to post them. DONT GIVE UP PEOPLE
Did your status change from "Your application is now complete and awaiting review"? When were you complete by?II JUST NOW.
Did your status change from "Your application is now complete and awaiting review"? When were you complete by?
I actually received an e-mail listing two dates: September 1, September 8. Any advice on which date to go with?
I received and submitted secondary 7/21. I had everything in before then. Sorry this is my first time doing this and I don't know if I'm answering all of your questions.
II this morning!! 3.8/516/half urm/OOS
I was complete on 7/13
What dates do you have?
I actually received an e-mail listing two dates: September 1, September 8. Any advice on which date to go with?
I received and submitted secondary 7/21. I had everything in before then. Sorry this is my first time doing this and I don't know if I'm answering all of your questions.
I think I'm going to go with September 8th. It gives me more time to prepare and I believe that decisions can't be released until October 15th? The less time I have to wait to hear back the better
1st and 8thWhat dates do you have?
kittensneezes
Full Member
II as well! Complete 07/13. 3.99/ 526 OOS. Research focused app as applying mostly MD/PhD
I think I'm going to go with September 8th. It gives me more time to prepare and I believe that decisions can't be released until October 15th? The less time I have to wait to hear back the better
I was thinking of going with the 1st. In case any hiccups DO happen (given the virtual interview and all) they can't penalize me as much.
I was thinking of going with the 1st. In case any hiccups DO happen (given the virtual interview and all) they can't penalize me as much.
Ah that's a good idea as well. After writing so many secondaries I think I need to recharge a bit before talking about myself again haha
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone had their status change from complete and awaiting a review? (other than you II fiends)
mine still says under review
Ah that's a good idea as well. After writing so many secondaries I think I need to recharge a bit before talking about myself again haha
If you don't mind me asking, how are you addressing them in the return e-mail?
Escherian
Full Member
I think I'm going to go with September 8th. It gives me more time to prepare and I believe that decisions can't be released until October 15th? The less time I have to wait to hear back the better
I don't know much how this works, but I'm assuming first decisions being in mid-October means that doing the interview on the 1st rather than the 8th wouldn't give an advantage right?
If you don't mind me asking, how are you addressing them in the return e-mail?
I said I was thrilled to be invited and that I would love to attend. I gave my preferred date. And then said I looked forward to meeting them and learning about the school.
I sat there for about 15 minutes debating what I should say and if I had said enough. Then I realized as long as I was polite and professional it probably didn't matter.
I said I was thrilled to be invited and that I would love to attend. I gave my preferred date. And then said I looked forward to meeting them and learning about the school.
I sat there for about 15 minutes debating what I should say and if I had said enough. Then I realized as long as I was polite and professional it probably didn't matter.
This is my issue exactly hahaha
II! OOS
Congrats! How long did it take after you submitted your secondary?
mine says "Your application is now complete and awaiting review" submitted 7/16Has anyone had their status change from complete and awaiting a review? (other than you II fiends)
D
deleted776417
Secondary received 12:20 pm PST (V: 8/10 11:29 am PST), IS
Did you apply MD/PhD, and if so, which date is available for you? November?II as well! Complete 07/13. 3.99/ 526 OOS. Research focused app as applying mostly MD/PhD
Last edited:
kittensneezes
Full Member
No, did not apply MD/PhD to Kaiser cause I did not want to have to apply to Caltech grad programs lol. Interviewing Sept 8.Did you apply MD/PhD, and if so, which date is available for you? November?
Ah, I see. In any case it’s just one application. You don’t apply to caltech grad programs separately.No, did not apply MD/PhD to Kaiser cause I did not want to have to apply to Caltech grad programs lol. Interviewing Sept 8.
kittensneezes
Full Member
Ah well I'll also say I'm not a good research match for Caltech as I want to do neuropsychiatric research in human subjects. Applying to a few MD schools just in caseAh, I see. In any case it’s just one application. You don’t apply to caltech grad programs separately.
Asp1retoInsp1re
Full Member
I feel like its going to be more this year since its virtual :/Did Kaiser really interview ~750 people for 50 spots last year... (according to MSAR). Good god
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Caltech actually built a new neuroscience building with tons of space and funds, and two of the Kaiser MD/PhD students are neuroscience. For example, investigating the relationships between intestinal flora, gut-brain axis, and Parkinson’s or autism.Ah well I'll also say I'm not a good research match for Caltech as I want to do neuropsychiatric research in human subjects. Applying to a few MD schools just in case
Basically, I just want to say that Caltech is an option, if not Kaiser then through USC or UCLA.🙂
ok byeHey guys, incoming MS4 here to answer any of your questions!
D
deleted959268
Still waiting for a secondary rip :/ congrats to all interviewing tho best of luck!!!
Still waiting for a secondary rip :/ congrats to all interviewing tho best of luck!!!
+1
Asp1retoInsp1re
Full Member
They're virtualIs Kaiser doing in-person interviews this year as well?
Hey all, what do they mean by intellectual exploration? Such as research? Thank you in advance!
Escherian
Full Member
Hey all, what do they mean by intellectual exploration? Such as research? Thank you in advance!
Mine was about research and I got an II. I think it could also be something else though, like a more intellectual hobby or something you did for a long time. Like studying music theory or history or something on your own perhaps?
This is my issue exactly hahaha
Did you get an email from them after you said your preferred date? I haven't heard anything back. Maybe they changed their mind after my email haha
Escherian
Full Member
Silence for me too! Also no portal update. Hoping they say something by Friday, so I know for sure that I got the date I pickedDid you get an email from them after you said your preferred date? I haven't heard anything back. Maybe they changed their mind after my email haha
kittensneezes
Full Member
+1 Radio silence hahaDid you get an email from them after you said your preferred date? I haven't heard anything back. Maybe they changed their mind after my email haha
Same!+1 Radio silence haha
Hey all, I'm assuming I cant use my first MCAT score (which was low) for the "Describe your experience with a situation that had an unfavorable outcome" prompt? Improved significantly on the second attempt. This question has me stumped...
D
deleted1009115
I’m using my standard challenge essay for this prompt. Like challenge/adversity essays, I would stay away from academic issues.Hey all, I'm assuming I cant use my first MCAT score (which was low) for the "Describe your experience with a situation that had an unfavorable outcome" prompt? Improved significantly on the second attempt. This question has me stumped...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Escherian
Full Member
I agree. While having to retake the MCAT is a big struggle, it's kinda standard and doesn't show anything interesting about your app.I’m using my standard challenge essay for this prompt. Like challenge/adversity essays, I would stay away from academic issues.
yeah I assumed so. Thank you for the input!I agree. While having to retake the MCAT is a big struggle, it's kinda standard and doesn't show anything interesting about your app.
Same I haven't received anything from them since emailing them my interview date+1 Radio silence haha
About 10 daysCongrats! How long did it take after you submitted your secondary?
Did you get an email from them after you said your preferred date? I haven't heard anything back. Maybe they changed their mind after my email haha
i think they wanted us to beg.
Radio silence. Now I’m waiting for the “just kidding” email.