2020-2021 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How are we feelin about decisions coming out two days in a row lol? 😂 usually seems like theyve been biweekly but at the beginning of feb they released decisions on the 4th and 5th so it has me wondering haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
How are we feelin about decisions coming out two days in a row lol? 😂 usually seems like theyve been biweekly but at the beginning of feb they released decisions on the 4th and 5th so it has me wondering haha
🤞

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also received an R :/
Interviewed 1/21
sorry to hear that, hopefully something else works out this cycle! was this for the twin cities campus? im surprised they're getting back to the jan people so fast already.

haha yeah i went through the feed to track this as well. im banking on that too..

Any dec interviewees hear about an R or WL? It does seem wild to me that some Jan people are already hearing back so very curious thanks!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi y’all, I’ve been lurking on this sub for a while and finally got around to making an account haha. I interviewed 12/3 and missed a call yesterday that I’m thinking was UMN, so hoping they’re going to try me again today if they continue to send out As this afternoon. That is to say, I’m endorsing the idea that they’re sending out more As today, if only for my own sanity!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi y’all, I’ve been lurking on this sub for a while and finally got around to making an account haha. I interviewed 12/3 and missed a call yesterday that I’m thinking was UMN, so hoping they’re going to try me again today if they continue to send out As this afternoon. That is to say, I’m endorsing the idea that they’re sending out more As today, if only for my own sanity!
Nice!!! They didnt leave a voicemail? I think it was said earlier in the thread the call comes from a 312 number tho

sorry to hear that, hopefully something else works out this cycle! was this for the twin cities campus? im surprised they're getting back to the jan people so fast already.
I'm surprised as well! It feels like the process is accelerating in order for them to get through everyone in time. I only say this because I noticed there were some folks still waiting on an II who were complete in September, but then October applicants received one. I wonder if they are no longer going in order for both decisions and interview invites.

is this like the longest wait out of most med schools for a post ii decision?

is this like the longest wait out of most med schools for a post ii decision?
For rolling admissions I think it’s up there. Some non-rolling schools interview you in September and then say ✌🏼See you in March

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
i'm about to just take one for the team and see if i can get some info.

edit: in all fairness, its for my own anxiety but yea. lol

Reactions: 6 users
For rolling admissions I think it’s up there. Some non-rolling schools interview you in September and then say ✌🏼See you in March
Even in normal years, they are notoriously on the longer end for decision times of rolling admissions.

They actually are one of the few schools to also publicly publish what all is involved in their review process (Twin Cities Application Review Process).

Summary (with commentary by me in parentheses):
1. Primary is screened based on MCAT and US residency (MCAT not done for 2020-2021), those who pass this screen (likely automated?) get a secondary.
2. Secondary is reviewed by 2 independent people. If they agree, you either get an R or II. If they disagree, a 3rd independent reviewer serves as tie-breaker for R/II.
3. MMI Interview - assessed by 9 separate interviewers.
4. Post interview, 3 Independent reviewers look at your entire application, the notes from the initial 2 or 3 reviewers, and notes (possibly also numeric scores as well?) from the 9 interviewers. These 3 reviewers recommend A/R/WL to the admissions committee.
5. Admissions Committee reviews the recommendations of the previous three reviewers, discuss applicants, and vote A/R/WL.
6. Admissions Executive Committee (oversees admissions for TC, Duluth, and the MSTP program combined) approves or denies the Admissions Committee vote.
7. Candidates are notified of A, R, or WL.

So it's quite a lengthy process! Each interviewed candidate is probably assessed by 20 or so admissions staff before being given a decision.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
I received II this afternoon! Complete 10/27 and IS. Interview dates were throughout March. My email stated I am essentially interviewing for a WL.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
I received II this afternoon! Complete 10/27 and IS. Interview dates were throughout March. My email stated I am essentially interviewing for a WL.
Congrats!!! I know youve been waiting for quite some time now :) do u recall what the last date was available? Thinking maybe after that decisions will roll out quicker lol

Congrats!!! I know youve been waiting for quite some time now :) do u recall what the last date was available? Thinking maybe after that decisions will roll out quicker lol
Thank you! And honestly I can’t remember. I do think there was an April date though... I was rushing to get a spot booked soon, lol.

So.. turns out if you don’t set up voicemail it doesn’t show that you have any messages.. the 312 number ended up being UMN and I got accepted!!! I really appreciate everyone on this sub for sharing info, and for everyone awaiting decisions I feel for you!!! Praying they let y’all know ASAP bc I know the wait is brutal!

3.85, 517, IS

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users
Has anyone from 12/8 heard anything? I’m not sure I can wait another two weeks... I will be unwell

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone from 12/8 heard anything? I’m not sure I can wait another two weeks... I will be unwell
One person from the second week of December (presumably 12/8) reported an A on Monday.

I feel very similarly though, really hoping we don’t have to wait that long.

One person from the second week of December (presumably 12/8) reported an A on Monday.

I feel very similarly though, really hoping we don’t have to wait that long.
14 weeks just seems SO excessive to wait for a response... in the nicest way possible

Are they reviewing applicants from one interview day every 2 weeks? Because if so, looks like 12/17 will have to wait another month..

Are they reviewing applicants from one interview day every 2 weeks? Because if so, looks like 12/17 will have to wait another month..
From earlier in this thread, someone said the admissions committee meets every two weeks. And then the next week they send out decisions, so because the first week of Dec. ppl and some second week of Dec people heard this week, then the next week of December (14-18) will hear back in two weeks... from my understanding but I could be completely mis-interpreting things.

Thank you 😊😊 let us know what you find out!!!
i know im a huge let down, but after discussion w/ my postbacc advisor she told me to hold off at least until next week before checking in. (she was aware of the email about signficant delays i guess from other applicants from my school) ...sorry folks.

I agree. It doesn’t look like they are getting further than 2 interview dates (max.) during each meeting. With people still to review from 12/8, 10, and 11, the 12/17 folks might still have a long wait ahead.

• Care
  • Sad
I agree. It doesn’t look like they are getting further than 2 interview dates (max.) during each meeting. With people still to review from 12/8, 10, and 11, the 12/17 folks might still have a long wait ahead.
Im sorry but I will not be a happy camper if I have to wait until 3/29 based on the pattern of decisions... that would well over 100 days since interview.. so heres to hoping all Dec people hear back within 2 weeks

Just received an interview! Complete 10/26 OOS but strong ties

Also 12/8 interview and haven’t heard anything! I know people from 12/3 who heard about Rs so maybe there’s still hope for 12/8 people? It seems like they are reviewing lots of December interviews at once.

What were the interview dates between 12/17 and 1/26? ( I interviewed 1/26 and don't expect to hear back until late April, but I'm curious)

What were the interview dates between 12/17 and 1/26? ( I interviewed 1/26 and don't expect to hear back until late April, but I'm curious)
Not sure about the other dates (I suspect they took off the week of Christmas and week of NY?), but I interviewed 1/12

I believe it is: 12/17 1/12 1/14 1/19 1/21 before your date

So the general consensus is that if we don’t hear back this week... we won’t hear anything until Mar 15-19 right?

Decision timeline post-holiday season (v2):

1/19 (Tues) - up to 11/5 (10 week delay)

2/4-2/5 (Thurs/Fri) - up to 11/12 (12 week delay)

2/15 (Mon) - up to 12/3 (10.5 week delay)

3/1 (Mon) - Up to 12/8 (partial) (12 week delay)

3/15-3/19 is a solid prediction for the next batch of decisions.

However, assuming those reviewing applications for IIs are the same individuals reviewing interviewed files for A/R/WL, we should see an acceleration in post-interview decisions once they wrap up reviewing files for interviews. That may not be for a few weeks still given that there are still open interview slots being reported.

Reactions: 5 users
Not sure if this will be helpful for anyone to know, but I just finished my interview and they said there are still acceptances to give out in the first wave. If you interviewed today, you are still on the cusp of knowing within 8-10 weeks and not necessarily being auto-waitlisted for the second wave of offers (like the previous email suggested). Also, they typically take 75 people off the waitlist to be accepted, and on average, the list is 100-150.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Not sure if this will be helpful for anyone to know, but I just finished my interview and they said there are still acceptances to give out in the first wave. If you interviewed today, you are still on the cusp of knowing within 8-10 weeks and not necessarily being auto-waitlisted for the second wave of offers (like the previous email suggested). Also, they typically take 75 people off the waitlist to be accepted, and on average, the list is 100-150.
THANK YOU FOR THIS UPDATE!!! :) as painful as it is to be waiting this long, its nice to know an A could still happen lol

• Care
THANK YOU FOR THIS UPDATE!!! :) as painful as it is to be waiting this long, its nice to know an A could still happen lol
No problem and you are right, they don't "pause" on acceptances until they reach 200 offers and they haven't arrived at that yet, so all good news! 😊

• Care
@il11epo ahhh I really wish they wouldnt have taken down the list so we would know how many offers have gone out lol 😅

• Care
if UMN is reading this, please please get back to the december people this week. thank you!

• Care