2020-2021 Morehouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejection, bummed as this was one of my top schools, but we keep moving! Good luck to everyone still waiting for an interview or decision!
I’m sorry to hear that! I wish you luck with your journey! You will get an acceptance from another school!

Did you interview with them? If so, when?
 
I'm honestly having a hard time coming up with unique "why us" responses for the HBCUs. They all are very similar in cultivating black doctors, focusing on underserved communities. Any advice in how to significantly distinguish Morehouse from the others?
 
I'm honestly having a hard time coming up with unique "why us" responses for the HBCUs. They all are very similar in cultivating black doctors, focusing on underserved communities. Any advice in how to significantly distinguish Morehouse from the others?
I’d suggest looking at some of their programs you might be interested in & mentioning those. At least that’s what I did & I got an interview!
 
I’d suggest looking at some of their programs you might be interested in & mentioning those. At least that’s what I did & I got an interview!
Yeah that's the plan but I'm still having a hard time making it unique if they all have outreach type programs you know? Does it need to be MORE specific? Also congrats on II. Do you mind sharing your stats and completion date?
 
Yeah that's the plan but I'm still having a hard time making it unique if they all have outreach type programs you know? Does it need to be MORE specific? Also congrats on II. Do you mind sharing your stats and completion date?
I’ve mentioned essentially the same programs in my “why us” for a number of schools & just switched the names. I’ve had success thus far so I’d say it’s fine. I received my II a while back (interviewed in Sep)
 
Last edited:
heard back today! got an R. IS, ORM, LM 66.

I didn’t have high hopes for this cycle lol BUT a huge good luck to everyone who has interviewed and to everyone else!! You are all amazing people and I wish you the best 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
heard back today! got an R. IS, ORM, LM 66.

I didn’t have high hopes for this cycle lol BUT a huge good luck to everyone who has interviewed and to everyone else!! You are all amazing people and I wish you the best 🙂

Damn LM 66, it look like my R from this school will come soon then lol my LM is a lot lower lol
 
heard back today! got an R. IS, ORM, LM 66.

I didn’t have high hopes for this cycle lol BUT a huge good luck to everyone who has interviewed and to everyone else!! You are all amazing people and I wish you the best 🙂
Sorry you got rejected! I wish you success with the rest of the cycle!

If you don’t mind, when did you interview? Or was this a pre-II rejection?
 
Damn LM 66, it look like my R from this school will come soon then lol my LM is a lot lower lol

You got this!! I really do believe that they do a more holistic review of applicants. It's not over till it's over 🙂

Sorry you got rejected! I wish you success with the rest of the cycle!

If you don’t mind, when did you interview? Or was this a pre-II rejection?

This was pre-II!! Sorry I should have specified. Best of luck!!
 
heard back today! got an R. IS, ORM, LM 66.

I didn’t have high hopes for this cycle lol BUT a huge good luck to everyone who has interviewed and to everyone else!! You are all amazing people and I wish you the best 🙂
Sorry to hear this. Better luck for the rest of the cycle. Do you mind sharing your stats?
 
For anyone who did the interview, were they really 55 minutes? On my schedule it says the first interview is from 10 30 to 11 25, and that is 55 minutes. The second interview is also 55 minutes. Can anyone testify to this?
 
For anyone who did the interview, were they really 55 minutes? On my schedule it says the first interview is from 10 30 to 11 25, and that is 55 minutes. The second interview is also 55 minutes. Can anyone testify to this?
Yup they are!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Depends on your interviewer. Mine definitely went in different directions but were overall conversational so the time goes by quickly. Check out the sdn Morehouse interview page- I found it super helpful!
Thanks for your reply. Also, one last thing. What was the interview format? Was it a panel interview, group, or just a traditional 1 on 1 interview?
 
Hi, I decided to add this school to my list this year. I got a secondary yesterday, I was wondering if you guys think it is too late to submit my secondary this week?
 
Hi, I am almost ready to submit my secondary but want to clarify on one of the promotes;

What percent of your professional time do you anticipate devoting to: 1. Administration 2. Teaching 3. Patient Care 4. Research?

I would like to say 75% patient care and 25% research (I explained why in the prompt) BUT don't all physicians do administrative works (i.e. paperworks, notes ...)? So, I am not sure if I should include administration as part of my percent?
 
Hi, I am almost ready to submit my secondary but want to clarify on one of the promotes;

What percent of your professional time do you anticipate devoting to: 1. Administration 2. Teaching 3. Patient Care 4. Research?

I would like to say 75% patient care and 25% research (I explained why in the prompt) BUT don't all physicians do administrative works (i.e. paperworks, notes ...)? So, I am not sure if I should include administration as part of my percent?
I personally excluded any options that I wasn't passionate about. I think I said some combination of Patient Care and Teaching, and gave examples of EC's I did that showed why those two things are really important for me. (I ended up getting an II here)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone get a status update email saying that their application is still being reviewed? Is this a good, bad or neutral sign? Lol