-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Stony Brook
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Did they send out post-interview rejections yet ?
D
deleted1054798
Had a good interview but was WL. Gotta love the process
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lovepickles
Full Member
felt the same way 🙁Had a good interview but was WL. Gotta love the process
What if they WL everybody, so the WL is just a future A.
The lies I tell myself so that I can sleep at night
The lies I tell myself so that I can sleep at night

letsgetthisbreadd
New Member
Is this ranked?
futureOBGYN!
Full Member
Have there been others who received interview invites this week?
futureOBGYN!
Full Member
Also, have they sent out pre-I R?
lovepickles
Full Member
has sb sent post-ii rejections?
What email? 😳That email just gave me tachycardia
lovepickles
Full Member
they sent an email with a video about the school... maybe it was just sent to waitlisted and accepted folks?
Haven't interviewed yet but I got it toothey sent an email with a video about the school... maybe it was just sent to waitlisted and accepted folks?
immunoguy23
Full Member
Any MD/PhD folks hear back post interview (in mid Nov) yet?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
applicant20
Full Member
Does anyone know if Stony Brook uses NBME or in-house exams for preclinical years?
astrocyte1999
Full Member
I have seen this question asked a lot. Could you please explain the difference between both styles of exams and which one is better?Does anyone know if Stony Brook uses NBME or in-house exams for preclinical years?
Does anyone know if Stony Brook uses NBME or in-house exams for preclinical years?
interviewer told me they were NBME, or if im remembering incorrectly its at the least imitation NBME. SBU seems pretty focused on helping students make big test numbers
applicant20
Full Member
I have seen this question asked a lot. Could you please explain the difference between both styles of exams and which one is better?
My very general understanding is that NBME exams mimic the format and "high yield" topics of Step 1/2 and shelf exams so students are basically studying for these exams as they study for their regular med school exams. In-house exams means that you might be getting tested on obscure details that the professors choose, so it's not necessarily preparing you for the actual licensing and clinical exams you have to take later. For this reason, almost all students prefer NBME. This is just my understanding from the pre-med standpoint so please correct as needed!
astrocyte1999
Full Member
Thanks so much. That was helpfulMy very general understanding is that NBME exams mimic the format and "high yield" topics of Step 1/2 and shelf exams so students are basically studying for these exams as they study for their regular med school exams. In-house exams means that you might be getting tested on obscure details that the professors choose, so it's not necessarily preparing you for the actual licensing and clinical exams you have to take later. For this reason, almost all students prefer NBME. This is just my understanding from the pre-med standpoint so please correct as needed!
FWIW - Stony Brook Step 1 average is pretty ordinary - 230. Their Step 2 CK average is very strong - 249. These are the latest numbers I've seen.
an interviewer told me that the latest step 1 avgs were 240+, although i don't think it really matters anymore lolFWIW - Stony Brook Step 1 average is pretty ordinary - 230. Their Step 2 CK average is very strong - 249. These are the latest numbers I've seen.
DriftingWeightless
Full Member
I was waitlisted on the same day too. From their email, it seems they only expected a reply with yes/no to be on the waitlist and I couldn't gauge from that email if they would be receptive to a letter of interest. Any thoughts appreciated. TIA!Waitlisted, damn. Only school I've interviewed with/will interview with that's rolling so it's going to be a long winter for me. 🙁
I'll definitely be sending a letter of interest though!
Yeah, maybe not important anymore. Latest I can find shows Step 1 = 230 - see below. Website shows earlier years in 230-236 range.an interviewer told me that the latest step 1 avgs were 240+, although i don't think it really matters anymore lol
Last edited:
spicedlatte
New Member
Yeah, maybe not important anymore. Latest I can find shows Step 1 = 230 - see below. Website shows earlier years in 230-236 range.
This google sheet is from a couple of years ago, their step average last year was indeed around a 240
Good to know. Thanks for correcting! Does anyone have a more recent tabulation by school ?This google sheet is from a couple of years ago, their step average last year was indeed around a 240
Current MS4. Last year's step 1 average was a 242 with no one failing. Not sure on step 2 but I think around 249?Good to know. Thanks for correcting! Does anyone have a more recent tabulation by school ?
does anyone know what the cost looks like for the 3 year MD track? do you still pay the equivalent cost of 4 year? also wondering how to talk about an interest in a specific residency without extensive history of interest/activities/ if its even worth applying without these things.
also in case anyone needed citation for most recent step scores, found this from last year's threadFound some more data; they’ve had crazy Step 2CK scores recently wow. Good to know with all this Step 1 P/F stuff.
Sorry if I missed it - when did you interview?I was waitlisted on the same day too. From their email, it seems they only expected a reply with yes/no to be on the waitlist and I couldn't gauge from that email if they would be receptive to a letter of interest. Any thoughts appreciated. TIA!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Been complete since mid july - complete silence since. Are they still sending out interviews?
It looks like they are scheduling mid-late Feb interviews. I don’t know when their interview season ends this year.
immunoguy23
Full Member
For MSTP applicants: has anyone reached out to Dr. Frohman to gauge your chances like he said we could on interview day? I'm tempted to but also find that to be a terrifying prospect.
D
deleted1017749
II just now! OOS
love_franks_red_hot
Full Member
congrats! when were you complete?II just now! OOS
largeslimer
New Member
II today
Complete 9/27
LM 74
IS
Complete 9/27
LM 74
IS
D
deleted1017749
Early September!congrats! when were you complete?
II today. IS, complete 9/23.
love_franks_red_hot
Full Member
anyone complete end of October hear anything yet?
spicedlatte
New Member
is there a fb page for accepted students?
applicant20
Full Member
is there a fb page for accepted students?
i think someone made a groupme chat, should be somewhere in this thread
littlefrog
New Member
Nah. I'm also waiting, complete 10/19. Hopefully there's some II for us October folksanyone complete end of October hear anything yet?
premedddie
Full Member
completed first week of october, still waitinganyone complete end of October hear anything yet?
Hi everyone! I have an interview coming up next week and wanted to see if anyone wanted to share any insights on how their interview went? I am just wondering if it was more conversational/discussions about your files or was it more interrogative? Did you interview with a medical student and a faculty member or were they both faculty members? How long did they last? TIA!
whiterabbit777
New Member
For interviews, it should be a medical student and a faculty member both 30 minutes each. I would say my interviews were more conversational/discussions as opposed to interrogative. My faculty interviewer had my file with them and took time to ask me about each of my experiences so that I could expand/clarifyHi everyone! I have an interview coming up next week and wanted to see if anyone wanted to share any insights on how their interview went? I am just wondering if it was more conversational/discussions about your files or was it more interrogative? Did you interview with a medical student and a faculty member or were they both faculty members? How long did they last? TIA!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
depaysement
Full Member
Just got the A!
Congrats!!! Do you mind me asking when you interviewed?Just got the A!
congratulations!!!Accepted! Interviewed 11/24.
depaysement
Full Member
Thanks!! Interviewed 11/30Congrats!!! Do you mind me asking when you interviewed?