2020-2021 SUNY - Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if being a part of the Rural Med program affects your ability to place in other (specialty) residencies? I would love to do that pathway and get that education, however at the same time would love to keep an open mind to the other gateways of medicine so I wouldn't want to commit to primary care this early.

I have talked to people at Upstate and this is my understanding. The rural medical scholar's program (RMSP) is basically additional courses that are low key (I think they meet once a month) during your first two years about issues affecting rural communities and practicing in that environment. Then everything else you opt into, there is no commitment to it. The RMED program is specifically for Family Medicine, EM, and Surgery rotations during your 3rd year.

The faculty member that runs RMED is super nice, definitely reach out to her.

Members don't see this ad.

anyone here interviewing for MD/PhD? I can't seem to access the 'faculty list' hyperlink from their interview menu.

Accepted this morning! Check your portals!

Congrats future Doc!!! Is the Upstate portal another page I need to be neurotically checking for that A or will they also send an acceptance email?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats future Doc!!! Is the Upstate portal another page I need to be neurotically checking for that A or will they also send an acceptance email?
They'll send an acceptance email but I'll be a few days after the portal switches

How was the interview vibe here? Interviewing in a couple of days

A on the portal! Interviewed 9/30, IS.

How was the interview vibe here? Interviewing in a couple of days

It was really relaxed. Both of my interviewers were really friendly and mainly just asked me things about my app and to get to know me better. The information session was brief as well but helpful enough to get to know the big things. If I had to rate it would be like a 2 or 3 out of 10 on a stress scale.

Last edited:
Acceptance email this morning! Interviewed 11/9!! 3.6, 518, IS.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Maybe we will be classmates! Have 3 MD acceptances choosing upstate hands down

Does Upstate give out scholarships at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
for those you have already interviewed, what was it like? is it still MMI format?

Is there a way to see your secondary essays somewhere on their portal? I'm trying to remember what I wrote before my interview next week lmao

yooo. im not familiar with zoom lol so i heard they do breakout rooms for the 2 interviews? do i just automatically get sent into the second interview or is there a separate link for it

yooo. im not familiar with zoom lol so i heard they do breakout rooms for the 2 interviews? do i just automatically get sent into the second interview or is there a separate link for it

You'll get automatically sent into the interviews. You just need to use the one zoom link they sent you and they'll handle it from there.

You'll get automatically sent into the interviews. You just need to use the one zoom link they sent you and they'll handle it from there.
my man, u explained this perfectly for a noob like me to understand. appreciate you

• Love
Impatiently waiting for Dec 1 when they start re-reviewing hold applicants. I sent an update earlier this month and have nothing else... don't know what else I can do before Dec 1? Is letter of intent a good idea?

Has anyone else who was put on hold given an II?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone else who was put on hold given an II?
theoretically, they don't go back to apps on hold til after thanksgiving, so I guess not? Hopefully they send IIs in december though! I'd love to get some in-state love from somewhere :'(

Hey guys, how was the MD interviews here? And when did everyone hear back post-II? :)

Impatiently waiting for Dec 1 when they start re-reviewing hold applicants. I sent an update earlier this month and have nothing else... don't know what else I can do before Dec 1? Is letter of intent a good idea?
How do you upload/send application updates here? I wasn't sure if you just upload it to the portal or you send it in an email. I couldn't find this info elsewhere.

A in the portal an hour ago! Interviewed on 10/28 as well, grew up in upstate NY but technically OOS now
How did it show up on the portal for you? If it doesn't say accepted, does this mean I was rejected?

How do you upload/send application updates here? I wasn't sure if you just upload it to the portal or you send it in an email. I couldn't find this info elsewhere.
i uploaded my application update to the portal and sent an email to the admissions email to see if a member could confirm receipt -- they did within 24 hours.

good luck to you!

Ayyy that re-review date coming up peeps

Reactions: 10 users
does upstate take update letters/letters of interest? sorry if this was mentioned before!

Im not sure to be honest, sorry! I saw on some WL threads that they do, but maybe it's post-II LOI? Can anyone else confirm?

Im not sure to be honest, sorry! I saw on some WL threads that they do, but maybe it's post-II LOI? Can anyone else confirm?
There should be an 'upload documents' tab in the first page after you log in.

Also, it seems that I'm getting a mix of answers... is the interview open, partially open, or closed file? Some said closed file but then others mentioned how interviewers asked about their apps...

Just got hit with the pre-II R. I was complete on 10/8, IS

Good luck to everyone else!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone else just get a hold email? The portal showed me as on Hold several weeks ago, so this is the first time I'm getting a response from them.

• Hmm
I just got the on hold e-mail today pre-II. Complete 11/25. Clearly a late applicant etc

For those of you who received a hold email recently, did it mention a date for re-review? I was placed on hold like two months back and it said I would be re-reviewed after 12/1 (which is today), hence why I ask.
yep it said that it'd be re-reviewed. However, I was also put on hold to be re-reviewed 12/1 but I got an interview late October.

For those of you who received a hold email recently, did it mention a date for re-review? I was placed on hold like two months back and it said I would be re-reviewed after 12/1 (which is today), hence why I ask.
Here's what they said in the email that went out today
"Your application will be reviewed again once the entire applicant pool has been reviewed. The re-review process does not begin until AFTER December 1st."

Rejected just now :(
Pre II
Complete Sep 23

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Hi, I just submitted my secondary application to Upstate. I received the fee waiver and emailed them today. My application still says incomplete.. will I automatically be withdrawn?

Hi, I just submitted my secondary application to Upstate. I received the fee waiver and emailed them today. My application still says incomplete.. will I automatically be withdrawn?
When did you submit? Their secondary deadline is 11:59pm EST 12/1