2020-2021 SUNY - Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh okay I found it. I interviewed 2 weeks ago, it says “ready for committee”
I'm assuming if it says "decision made" as it says for mine we'll find out tomorrow...

Members don't see this ad.

A!! Interviewed early September. Check your portals

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone who received an A ! Now you can officially take the day off and celebrate !!!

Reactions: 1 users
A on the portal! II on 9/16

Reactions: 2 users
A on the portal! Interviewed 9/14 IS. Congrats to everyone that got the A!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Are scholarships given out? Do we hear about this later?

Does upstate put everyone who is not getting an II on hold? or is it only some ppl

Opened portal today to find a nice, beautiful hold (pre-II). No email sent.
Et tu, Upstate? :shrug:

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Does upstate put everyone who is not getting an II on hold? or is it only some ppl
Not sure if this still applies, but they have rejected people around this time in past cycles. Also mine (in this cycle) still says complete so I am quite confused.

Reactions: 1 user
I saw some comments from premeddit that people received R from upstate this week

Not sure if this still applies, but they have rejected people around this time in past cycles. Also mine (in this cycle) still says complete so I am quite confused.
Same. I've been complete since 9/11. I'm just going to assume I've been put on hold and only check the portal once a week.

Same. I've been complete since 9/11. I'm just going to assume I've been put on hold and only check the portal once a week.
Update: Got placed on hold this morning. Well at least it is clearer.

Check your portals! My friend never got an email but checked his portal and saw that he was selected for an II just now! So happy for him, hope I get some love from upstate too :)

Check your portals! My friend never got an email but checked his portal and saw that he was selected for an II just now! So happy for him, hope I get some love from upstate too :)
Congrats to your friend!!!!! BUT upstate is being super irresponsible by failing to email their potential interviewees like wth

Last edited:
Congrats to your friend!!!!! BUT upstate is being super irresponsible if they fail to email their potential interviewees like wth

I agree, idk what's going on with them. It doesn't level the playing field if some people happen to check their portal and schedule an interview date, meanwhile others with that interview in their portal just aren't checking and don't even know

Hi everyone, I know it's late to submit a secondary but I want to just give myself a shot at this school. I'm having trouble accessing the secondary prompts. This is what my checklist looks like. No option there has the secondary prompts strangely.

1603173111413.png

I would google what secondaries are at each school, not sure what you are looking for. Upstate does have a short answer for what specialty you are interested in but that's about it.
No option there has the secondary prompts strangely.

Hi everyone, I know it's late to submit a secondary but I want to just give myself a shot at this school. I'm having trouble accessing the secondary prompts. This is what my checklist looks like. No option there has the secondary prompts strangely.

The secondary prompts are all within checklist. I believe you can find them in Background Questions and Additional Information.
There should be a prompt for what specialty, how COVID impacted you, an area to address any weaknesses in your app (optional), and a gap year question.

For those who have interviewed, would you mind sharing your experience? Was it open file? conversational?
Thanks in advance!

For those who have interviewed, would you mind sharing your experience? Was it open file? conversational?
Thanks in advance!
Closed file. One with a faculty / professor/ physician of some sort, the second with a student. My first one was not very conversational, more just him asking me questions. The student interview was much more conversational but still some classic interview questions thrown in.

Anyone here have any status changes to II or R since a hold from them last month?

Anyone here have any status changes to II or R since a hold from them last month?
Not for me, but I assume that if they are going to re-review us after December they won't look at our files until then?

Not for me, but I assume that if they are going to re-review us after December they won't look at our files until then?
yea thats what we're told, but i heard somewhere that some people got off the hold list before dec :/

Put on hold (re-review after Dec 1st). Complete 9/30. Have any pre-II R's been sent out? PSA- I did not receive an email stating I was on hold. I saw it when I checked my portal.

Same. I received the "accidental" hold email, then the apology, but nothing else. Then I just checked my status and it said this, but I didn't get an email for it lol?

ever since the mistaken hold emails, I had been checking my portal every day. Saw today that my status just changed from “complete” to “Hold: Re-review after Dec 1st” ;-;
wishing everyone - esp my fellow holdees - all the best! ❤️

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
ever since the mistaken hold emails, I had been checking my portal every day. Saw today that my status just changed from “complete” to “Hold: Re-review after Dec 1st” ;-;
wishing everyone - esp my fellow holdees - all the best! ❤
When were you complete?

Closed file. One with a faculty / professor/ physician of some sort, the second with a student. My first one was not very conversational, more just him asking me questions. The student interview was much more conversational but still some classic interview questions thrown in.
Thanks for sharing!

Hold too, complete early September (I heard somewhere that they put everyone on hold, but don't know how true this is)

I agree, idk what's going on with them. It doesn't level the playing field if some people happen to check their portal and schedule an interview date, meanwhile others with that interview in their portal just aren't checking and don't even know
Same. I received the "accidental" hold email, then the apology, but nothing else. Then I just checked my status and it said this, but I didn't get an email for it lol?
I got the accidental hold email in September too...then the apology...and then another one the next day saying it wasn't an accident lol

Does anyone know if being a part of the Rural Med program affects your ability to place in other (specialty) residencies? I would love to do that pathway and get that education, however at the same time would love to keep an open mind to the other gateways of medicine so I wouldn't want to commit to primary care this early.

Does anyone know if being a part of the Rural Med program affects your ability to place in other (specialty) residencies? I would love to do that pathway and get that education, however at the same time would love to keep an open mind to the other gateways of medicine so I wouldn't want to commit to primary care this early.
You can go into any specialty afterwards, the rural program is just some extra lectures and doing a primary care rotation in a rural setting for either x amount of weeks or 1/2 x amount of weeks. You can even just take some of the lectures and not do the rural rotation I believe if you didn't want to commit to it, although that wouldn't count as being in the program obviously.

1603687219133.png

did everyone have this question twice on their secondary?