2020-2021 Touro University Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine (Henderson, NV) TUNCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted on Monday (1/25) but just got into my top choice school so I won’t be accepted the A. Best of luck to everyone else!

Reactions: 2 users
II invite today! Signed up for 3/22 since 3/8 looks filled.

Could someone please break down some pros and cons for this school? I'm mainly comparing to MWU AZCOM, so feel free to comment on MWU AZCOM also. I've heard great things about both schools, so I'm trying to get more information and make the best possible decision. Any and all details help!
OMS-1 at TUNCOM here! Super late reply, but I can't sleep so I'll take this one in case any else is wondering

For months I was set on attending AZCOM and was planning to turn down TUNCOM II. I finally decided to interview and took the entire time to make my decision. To make it short, choosing TUNCOM is the best decision I've made in a while. These are the factors that I remember helped me make the decision:
  • TUNCOM is closer to family (I'm from SoCal) and has cheaper tuition. I've been able to go back home almost every month since school started, so that's a huge plus (I love OC food LOL)
  • I could misremember this, but the match result for AZCOM was not that much more impressive. It was great, but not good enough to outweigh the other factors
  • I did a lot of digging (SDN, reddit, messaging current and alumni, etc.) and basically found out that there's not that much a difference in term of prestige (heard it's not a thing for DO schools anyway). Hospital rotations are not that much different except that Phoenix is a bigger metropolitan area than Las Vegas so you could potentially to see more variety of diseases while rotating (AZCOM alumni told me this)
  • A current AZCOM student told me their administration is not very cooperative and helpful. Students have to do things on their own a lot while the school is supposed to offer assistance. I don't know more details than this though.
  • I strongly prefer a system-based curriculum while AZCOM is a traditional curriculum where you take multiple classes like Biochem every semester/quarter
  • My interview experience here was amazing. Granted that it was online, I could tell how much the school and faculty cared about their students and interviewees
With that said, I was very fond of AZCOM, and it was a difficult decision for me to make. AZCOM was my first interview and acceptance, and I got to visit their gorgeous campus. TUNCOM is not perfect, but the admin tries their best to help us in many ways and to prioritize our education and happiness. Everyone that I have become friends with from our class are super nice and supportive of each other. The Henderson area where a lot of us live is quiet and lovely (less traffic and more peaceful than SoCal for sure). I'm sure AZCOM has its positive sides too that only the students there can talk about, but from my own experience, I can't be any happier with TUNCOM.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
II just now :) complete 8/21/20. Only interview date available was 3/22 with 6 slots

II today :)

any advice for the interview? apparently it's a stress interview?

Reactions: 1 user
just got an II. Submitted my secondary Aug 18 and was under review 11/20 and was in the final review stage on 1/19!

Reactions: 1 users

I interviewed 12/15 and I did not feel it was a "stress" interview! I think it depends on the interviewers you get (you'll have 2). One of mine opened with some tough questions, but became very warm and conversational after that. You know your weak spots on your application, so just be prepared to answer some questions about that.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
just got an II. Submitted my secondary Aug 18 and was under review 11/20 and was in the final review stage on 1/19!
I submitted mine late october and i was worried about the reviewing time but it seems like im not super far behind!

Members don't see this ad :)
I finally got the under review email today after receiving the supplement received email in November. Another two month wait for me woo :)

Thoughts on TUNCOM vs TouroCom-Harlem? I was accepted at both and need to decide whether to deposit at the New York campus today.

Congrats to everyone who’s been accepted or received an interview!!
I know I’m late, but I just submitted secondaries. I received interview and was rejected from one of the other campuses. Any hope for me at Nevada in your opinion after submitting this late?

Thoughts on TUNCOM vs TouroCom-Harlem? I was accepted at both and need to decide whether to deposit at the New York campus today.
I’ve definitely heard better things about TUNCOM. However since the schools are on opposite sides of the country and in very different environments I think that location would likely play a major role in your decision.

OMS-1 at TUNCOM here! Super late reply, but I can't sleep so I'll take this one in case any else is wondering

For months I was set on attending AZCOM and was planning to turn down TUNCOM II. I finally decided to interview and took the entire time to make my decision. To make it short, choosing TUNCOM is the best decision I've made in a while. These are the factors that I remember helped me make the decision:
  • TUNCOM is closer to family (I'm from SoCal) and has cheaper tuition. I've been able to go back home almost every month since school started, so that's a huge plus (I love OC food LOL)
  • I could misremember this, but the match result for AZCOM was not that much more impressive. It was great, but not good enough to outweigh the other factors
  • I did a lot of digging (SDN, reddit, messaging current and alumni, etc.) and basically found out that there's not that much a difference in term of prestige (heard it's not a thing for DO schools anyway). Hospital rotations are not that much different except that Phoenix is a bigger metropolitan area than Las Vegas so you could potentially to see more variety of diseases while rotating (AZCOM alumni told me this)
  • A current AZCOM student told me their administration is not very cooperative and helpful. Students have to do things on their own a lot while the school is supposed to offer assistance. I don't know more details than this though.
  • I strongly prefer a system-based curriculum while AZCOM is a traditional curriculum where you take multiple classes like Biochem every semester/quarter
  • My interview experience here was amazing. Granted that it was online, I could tell how much the school and faculty cared about their students and interviewees
With that said, I was very fond of AZCOM, and it was a difficult decision for me to make. AZCOM was my first interview and acceptance, and I got to visit their gorgeous campus. TUNCOM is not perfect, but the admin tries their best to help us in many ways and to prioritize our education and happiness. Everyone that I have become friends with from our class are super nice and supportive of each other. The Henderson area where a lot of us live is quiet and lovely (less traffic and more peaceful than SoCal for sure). I'm sure AZCOM has its positive sides too that only the students there can talk about, but from my own experience, I can't be any happier with TUNCOM.
I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions about TUNCOM. I can’t send you a message first, so let me know if that’s okay. They are a little specific so I don’t want to bog down the thread. Thanks!

I thoroughly enjoyed my interview! Definitely not a stress interview at all. Just look through your app throughly and be yourself. You will be fine! :)

Supplemental received 10/15, under review today 2/2 after LOR delay of not having contact info in the signature lol now another 2 month wait.. ay yi yi🤣😭

I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions about TUNCOM. I can’t send you a message first, so let me know if that’s okay. They are a little specific so I don’t want to bog down the thread. Thanks!
Opened up my conversation. Feel free to reach out!

I interviewed a couple weeks ago and I actually had the experience of it being a "stress interview" (not to worry you or anything but be prepared). My interviewer went straight off the bat and was like "why do you want to be a doctor?" "why not be a PA/nurse/get a phD" "what do you have to say about this grade?" but after the first couple of questions of me not being flustered she calmed down a lot and it was really conversational. Definitely not the hardest stress interview I've had so as long as you know your application you'll be fine.

I interviewed a couple weeks ago and I actually had the experience of it being a "stress interview" (not to worry you or anything but be prepared). My interviewer went straight off the bat and was like "why do you want to be a doctor?" "why not be a PA/nurse/get a phD" "what do you have to say about this grade?" but after the first couple of questions of me not being flustered she calmed down a lot and it was really conversational. Definitely not the hardest stress interview I've had so as long as you know your application you'll be fine.

I would concur, post interview day. I was one of the few candidates that day who had a 2 on 1 interview instead of 1 on 1...felt rushed. It being only 20 minutes didn't help.

I think it went fine though. We'll see.

I would concur, post interview day. I was one of the few candidates that day who had a 2 on 1 interview instead of 1 on 1...felt rushed. It being only 20 minutes didn't help.

I think it went fine though. We'll see.
Oooh I also had a 2 v 1 and that was definitely more stressful because I felt like they coordinated really well. But overall it felt kinda stressful but I still ended up with an A. Best of luck to you!!

• Care
Does anyone know what the quality of the clinical rotations at Tuncom is?

I'm also curious about the rotations here at TUNCOM. I tried searching through past years threads, googling, even emailing the students during my interview day (no response yet) but I did not find anything concrete about the rotations. I learned during my interview that they are all within the Southern Nevada region and preceptor-based. Are there any 3rd/4th year or alumni that can speak on this?

Does anyone know what the quality of the clinical rotations at Tuncom is?
This. The dean during my interview went in-depth on the pre-clinical curriculum but completely glossed over the clinical rotations, and wasn't too eager to answer a question about them. Not a great sign.

Does anyone know if Touro Nevada accepts update letters that aren’t academic updates?

Finally under review! Here goes another two months of wait.

This. The dean during my interview went in-depth on the pre-clinical curriculum but completely glossed over the clinical rotations, and wasn't too eager to answer a question about them. Not a great sign.
Hey I’m a OMS-3 at TUN if you have some questions feel free to message me.

Does anyone know if Touro Nevada accepts update letters that aren’t academic updates?
During my interview session, they said they would only be accepting an academic update, not publications, new experiences, etc.

for those who interviewed on 2/1, do you remember if they said we should hear back on 2/16 or by 2/16? my neuroticism has reached a new level lmao
"mark your calendars, 2/16 is the date! You'll hear back by the end of the business day"

is what I remember hearing

Congrats to everyone who’s been accepted or received an interview!!
I know I’m late, but I just submitted secondaries. I received interview and was rejected from one of the other campuses. Any hope for me at Nevada in your opinion after submitting this late?
One of my classmates submitted just before the official deadline, so much later than now, and was accepted. They had pretty high stats, not sure about the rest of their app. Also not sure if the admissions timeline has changed due to COVID. You're not dead in the water but I'd be willing to be you need an impressive app.

I got in here a few days ago and I was just wondering if a current MS3/MS4 (aka anyone that has done clinical rotations) can answer some questions for me. I'm sort of in a weird situation now, and I may end up going here if my state schools don't accept me. TIA!

I got in here a few days ago and I was just wondering if a current MS3/MS4 (aka anyone that has done clinical rotations) can answer some questions for me. I'm sort of in a weird situation now, and I may end up going here if my state schools don't accept me. TIA!
I'm an MS3 feel free to message me if you have some questions.

I'm also curious about the rotations here at TUNCOM. I tried searching through past years threads, googling, even emailing the students during my interview day (no response yet) but I did not find anything concrete about the rotations. I learned during my interview that they are all within the Southern Nevada region and preceptor-based. Are there any 3rd/4th year or alumni that can speak on this?
What do you want to know about rotations? OMS-3 here at TUNCOM. All I had one rotation online due to covid but other than that all other rotations are in person. All rotations are within 30 miles radius. Great school and great faculty with open door policy.

Just got the email for an acceptance! Such a cool program, really enjoyed the interview day.

I just got accepted! My first. I'm so relieved!!

II 1/29, Interview 2/1, Acceptance 2/16!!!

accepted!!!! feels like a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders :)

Reactions: 4 users
Post II waitlisted just now. Anyone know what the movement is like off the waitlist here?

Anyone know how filled the class is at this point? My interview is scheduled for 3/22 and I really want to go here!

IA 2/1/21 Waitlisted 2/16/21 Will withdraw the waitlist soon :)
All my DO interviews turns to a waitlist... This cycle is so hard. Goodluck!

• Care
withdrew my II. Hope one of you gets a nice email today! best of luck!

• Love
When does the interview occur during the interview day? Is it at the beginning or end?