2020-2021 Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Placed on hold a moment ago. URM, OOS, secondary submitted 7/19 and under review 8/3. Does anyone know if this is a soft R or if individuals are actually pulled off the list? Apologies if this has been asked before
+1 also placed on hold. Also curious if this is a soft R or if ppl usually get pulled off of this list for an interview

Members don't see this ad.

this thread is making me want to request a refund hahaa. complete late August so not feeling great over here. :(

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe most schools add more dates as the cycle progresses.
That's totally possible, but what I will say is that I was given options from September to February. Considering the amount of applicants they get, I wouldn't be surprised if seats actually were filled up until February
might be an unpopular opinion, but is it possible that they are releasing different interview dates during each "wave" of interviews? (ex. next wave will have some october/november dates), or do you really think the next dates will be February+

Judging from previous year threads, Tulane doesn't add new dates and they aren't lying when they say the dates on the calendar are the only ones available. Looks like last year August IIs had December/January dates already and it didn't get any better. They only interview around 600 people so the number of dates that were available makes sense

Reactions: 1 user
Judging from previous year threads, Tulane doesn't add new dates and they aren't lying when they say the dates on the calendar are the only ones available. Looks like last year August IIs had December/January dates already and it didn't get any better. They only interview around 600 people so the number of dates that were available makes sense

So they might just review august apps at most and call it a day..

I think they will likely get extraordinarily selective to fill the few 2021 interview seats that applicants withdraw/cancel from. Tulane is the posterchild for early cycle rolling admissions and although I'm just an applicant too with no insider knowledge, this is my best guess to how they work

Placed on hold a moment ago. URM, OOS, secondary submitted 7/19 and under review 8/3. Does anyone know if this is a soft R or if individuals are actually pulled off the list? Apologies if this has been asked before

Got my on-hold email as well today: :(

I think they will likely get extraordinarily selective to fill the few 2021 interview seats that applicants withdraw/cancel from. Tulane is the posterchild for early cycle rolling admissions and although I'm just an applicant too with no insider knowledge, this is my best guess to how they work

I think you're both on to something. I find this incredibly crazy though. why not stop accepting apps after a certain number then if this is the case??? their secondary deadline is 11/15. chances are practically non-existent for August right now. and they should move to pre-screening. hugeeee money grab. I'm venting lol but yah, I think you both might be right. we shall see what happens.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know the post-II acceptance rate for Tulane (or have a USNWR scrip and can check...)? It's not available on the post-II A google sheet.

Seconding this. Does anyone have an idea of what it is, maybe current students?

Seconding this. Does anyone have an idea of what it is, maybe current students?

Guessing - with 190 in the current class it's probably not a terrible assumption to make they accept around double that. So ~400 of 600 interviewees are accepted

Tulane finishes sending all their interviews by sept every year. You can look this up on each sdn thread, it’s pretty common knowledge that if you want a shot you need to be early. I’m not sure why this year would be any different +- 2 weeks.

I have been under review since 08/11 haven’t received anything since then... I don’t think that’s a good sign :(

Tulane finishes sending all their interviews by sept every year. You can look this up on each sdn thread, it’s pretty common knowledge that if you want a shot you need to be early. I’m not sure why this year would be any different +- 2 weeks.

I remember there being a series of graphs somewhere (maybe reddit?) with the cycles for some schools and Tulane was one of the schools plotted. Along with Keck, their cycle was over before some schools even began in earnest lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I called them. they don't have a specific process that they could tell me and they just emphasized I should have been complete in July if I wanted to be on time

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
I called them. they don't have a specific process that they could tell me and they just emphasized I should have been complete in July if I wanted to be on time
that's a little frustrating.. especially for all those who submitted everything early and just were never put under review...

So they will just throw covid delays out the window? Seems frustrating for a lot of people who genuinely had to delay their apps for several reasons

So they will just throw covid delays out the window? Seems frustrating for a lot of people who genuinely had to delay their apps for several reasons
that's what I said! I told her my app couldn't be complete until August because of cancelations. She said mcat delays shouldn't prevent me from submitting early

• Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
complete in July even though primaries weren't even transmitted until nearly mid-month? Come on...

that's what I said! I told her my app couldn't be complete until August because of cancelations. She said mcat delays shouldn't prevent me from submitting early
Even if you submitted early, as you said you still wouldn't have been complete without the MCAT score! That's so frustrating.

It also sucks for people who submitted in July but had to wait on their school's committee letter :/ Mine wasn't sent until mid-August unfortunately

Compete 7/31, but still not under review. Should I email them? I know they say that we shouldn't contact them about our application status...

Compete 7/31, but still not under review. Should I email them? I know they say that we shouldn't contact them about our application status...

I won’t contact them. They’d give the same answer as above. Nothing much more informative. I will just wait and hope for the best

what's providing me comfort is that I don't really want to go to a school that can be so blindsided and tone deaf. It makes no sense to make no adjustments during this cycle and it sounds like they believe the motto "business as usual"

Reactions: 7 users
Submitted my primary prior to transmission but didn't receive my secondary until July 31st (after I emailed them). Submitted the secondary and was complete the next day (August 1st) yet still haven't been placed under review. Definitely frustrating.

based on what I've seen I would expect 2 months. I think you'll be under review by Sept 31

Imma just unfollow this tread and come back if they put me under review or give an II. Gluck everyone. Seems like it's over for the rest of us. Which is lame during such a cycle but they have no obligations to accommodate us.

Reactions: 12 users
Guessing - with 190 in the current class it's probably not a terrible assumption to make they accept around double that. So ~400 of 600 interviewees are accepted

Wow that’s a pretty high post II acceptance rate, is it not? Also saw these numbers reported elsewhere.

pretty hard to be complete in july if you dont even receive a secondary until the last day of the month

Wow that’s a pretty high post II acceptance rate, is it not? Also saw these numbers reported elsewhere.

I dont think Tulane participates in USNWR stats or at least, they havent been part of any post-II A rate spreadsheets I can find. In general with a school like Tulane, I think accepting double the number of matriculants isnt an absolutely terrible guess. ~67% acceptance rate post II is also not out of this world compared to other schools, some actually are higher. I'd say the rate is definitely comfortably somewhere around upper 50s to 67%.

With the sheer number of cuts they make from applicants -> interviews (5% of applicants get an II), the ones they choose to interview are probably those they pretty much are very interested in already so a high acceptance rate makes sense

complete in July even though primaries weren't even transmitted until nearly mid-month? Come on...
I'm not really trying to complain, but now hearing that outside of July was considered "late"...my suspicions are confirmed.
Although there are outliers, most of the people who got a II were complete within the first two-three weeks of the start of app transmission. However, the first date of transmission was literally July 10th and AAMC was still delayed with verification. Plus, because of a glitch in Tulane's system, they weren't sending secondaries to people who at least been transmitted early.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not really trying to complain, but now hearing that outside of July was considered "late"...my suspicions are confirmed.
Although there are outliers, most of the people who got a II were complete within the first two-three weeks of the start of app transmission. However, the first date of transmission was literally July 10th and AAMC was still delayed with verification. Plus, because of a glitch in Tulane's system, they weren't sending secondaries to people who at least been transmitted early.
This is what I've noticed too...honestly, I got lucky because I had no idea how serious they were about early applications...I got mine on the 14th and submitted it the same day just because lol

Being early to submit didn’t even help all that much either. I had my whole primary ready and submitted early. Was verified before transmission and had Tulane on there before transmission. Got my secondary on the 22nd of July and sent it back very quickly but only got the complete and under review email mid August.

So in a process that’s already a crapshoot you have to deal with the further randomization from Tulane and their system

Has anyone emailed or called them about not being put under review and you submitted your secondary in July? I know some people talked about it above, but not sure if anyone actually called them. I'm curious of the response they got.

Finally under review complete 7/29.

II! International (Canadian), November interview slot due to PhD defense, PhD to MD hopefully :)

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! What other dates were available? Did you schedule today?

Thank you! I scheduled yesterday, so saw October to January. My defense is mid-October, so figured its best to schedule Tulane interview in November!

If I just got verified, is it worth submitting my application here? Have the secondary typed out already.

If I just got verified, is it worth submitting my application here? Have the secondary typed out already.

I respect the other poster's comment, but it will be up to you.

Pros:
1. To quote Michael Scott, you miss 100% of shots you don't take.
2. Since you already have the secondary typed out and ready to go, why not send it (if not, your time could be better spent elsewhere).
3. Medical school is competitive, so better to not put all your eggs in 1 basket.

Cons:
1. Secondary fees will creep up and become very expensive.
2. If you delay submitting, you will push back your application review even more. With time ticking, it'll be in your best favor to decide soon.

Hope this helps. You know your situation best. Whatever you decide, good luck and remain positive during this neurotic time.

this is patently false. It’s not even October and Tulane interviews into the spring.
You should apply.
I don't think you've taken into account the fact that people getting interviews now are having to interview in the spring ALREADY. Given how long it would take for their application to even go under review, I agree that they should probably save their money.

Sorry. Completely disagree. Tulane interviews 1000+ people. No way all those slots are spoken for already.

Sorry. Completely disagree. Tulane interviews 1000+ people. No way all those slots are spoken for already.
I never said they were. What I'm saying is that there are already thousands of people whose applications are under review. I submitted my secondary 07/14, went under review 08/10, and got an II on 09/17. From start to finish...two full months. If they submit their secondary today, it could (and likely would) take literal months before the adcoms even got to their application. And even though seats likely aren't filled now, they may be by then.

If Tulane had fewer applications to review and was able to get through them more quickly, I'd agree with you. But for the gast majority of people, there is a huge lag. And from what I've seen, they kinda go in chronological order.